The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

26 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Another assist for Juolevi.

Stripped the puck from a player at his own blue line then transitioned it quickly which turned in to a 2 on 1 break 

Was that Olli? I missed most of the second period (where TPS scored 3 goals). But I didn’t see Juoevi get credited for another assist. Looks like he’s only on the scoresheet for the secondary assist on the first goal (Tallinder).

46 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Noticed Juolevi is playing with Henrik Tallinder on TPS’s first pairing.

Great to see. Olli had a good thing going partnered with Heikkinen on the second pairing, but moving up to play higher minutes alongside a 700+ NHL games veteran like Tallinder should be even better for his development.

Also haven’t seen Palmu playing this game and he’s not listed in the lineup. Maybe injured? Haven’t heard anything. Hopefully not healthy scratched, but his scoring has dropped off significantly since his hot start, so it’s possible.

Hope he hasn't been out fishing.....:mellow:

• Upvote 1

On 29/11/2017 at 10:15 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Tanev made the NHL because in the 2011 finals we got decimated on D.. and he was calm and composed, like he could have had a cigarette in his mouth while he was playing. He stuck because he is coachable and does the small things right. That doesn't mean he has good IQ. You often seen Tanev not know what to do with the puck in the neutral zone, so he dumps it in. That's an example of making the right play, but not having the IQ to make a better play. Tanev has one zone he masters, and that's it, but boy does he master it. But not because he has high IQ, but because he can take a hit, battle hard, and get the puck out. 

Either way I will agree to disagree with everyone. I understand what im saying is very touchy and that its not a popular opinion, but it is my opinion. 

Im glad hes on the back end, but this all really comes back to the fact that I personally think Juolevi will be a much better player than Tanev, in bothends of the rink. Juolevi has more hockey IQ in his left pinky than Tanev does, and that's not even a knock on Tanev. 

And for the record i never said Tanev had low hockey Iq, i said he wasnt a smart player, i think he has average hockey IQ.

I find these debates on hockey IQ hilarious.  It is such a subjective kind of skill in the first place, what appears to be great IQ to one person might be low IQ to another.  How do you even measure it?

The way I see it "making the right play" (as you put it) would be a characteristic of someone having good hockey IQ.  Just because he isn't flashy doesn't mean he doesn't think the game well.

Olli's looking like a pretty good prospect!

• Upvote 3

On 29/11/2017 at 8:09 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The way i see it is as soon as Tanev makes the first pass out, he's absolutely useless. I love him, he's a phenomenal Defensive D, but to compare him to Juolevi, who was drafted because of his high IQ in all 3 zones, is preposterous. Yes it wouldnt be bad to have another tanev, but the reality is, with Juolevi's potential, we're looking more on the Edler pre-2012 side of things. Tanev is a good player, but doesn't have a high hockey IQ, he just knows when to absorb a hit or when to give the puck to the other D by putting it behind the net softly for the other D to pick up and then make the pass out. That's not an inteligent play at all, that's just repetition at practice. How many stretch passes does Tanev make a year? Like 2? His IQ is average. 

I think maybe there is a confusion here between intelligence and creativity - they aren't stricly conjoined.  Most good offensive players are very creative, but many are not sound defensively - they don't think the game out very well when they don't have the puck or are not trying to get into position to be delivered the puck.  Tanev is a very high IQ defensive defenceman - he really understands the defensive aspects of the game, though he makes a good outlet pass, he is not a very creative guy in the offensive zone - that does not mean he has a low hocley IQ.  Some guys are good at math, some guys make poetry on ice.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2017 at 7:26 PM, The 5th Line said:

Definitely was him.  

Or not Apparently I'm blind?  

You're not blind :) He did strip the player from the puck, but another TPS player, Filppula, touched it afterwards. Olli had "3rd" assist on that goal.

Henkrik Tallinder, TPS best D, is out for 4-6 weeks. This could be Olli's chance to play 20+ min for some games in a row. Fun fact, TPS 1st pairing, Juolevi (19) - Eronen (22) have 41years together, that's only 3 years more than Tallinder himself :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jasin23 said:

Henkrik Tallinder, TPS best D, is out for 4-6 weeks. This could be Olli's chance to play 20+ min for some games in a row. Fun fact, TPS 1st pairing, Juolevi (19) - Eronen (22) have 41years together, that's only 3 years more than Tallinder himself :)

Too bad about Tallinder. I was hoping he and Juolevi would keep playing together. Hopefully they pair up again when he’s back.

But Juolevi-Eronen should be fine. They were paired together for some of Olli’s first games this season, so it’s not a raw partnership, and they looked good (albeit in more limited minutes).

And Eronen is pretty underrated as a player. Obviously he’s small but he’s pretty smooth moving the puck and has a good two-way, all-around game. I can remember him getting some buzz as a 16/17 year old for a potential NHL draft pick, just never happened (likely due to the size concerns at 5’9 and 175).

On 29/11/2017 at 10:15 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Tanev made the NHL because in the 2011 finals we got decimated on D.. and he was calm and composed, like he could have had a cigarette in his mouth while he was playing. He stuck because he is coachable and does the small things right. That doesn't mean he has good IQ. You often seen Tanev not know what to do with the puck in the neutral zone, so he dumps it in. That's an example of making the right play, but not having the IQ to make a better play. Tanev has one zone he masters, and that's it, but boy does he master it. But not because he has high IQ, but because he can take a hit, battle hard, and get the puck out. 

Either way I will agree to disagree with everyone. I understand what im saying is very touchy and that its not a popular opinion, but it is my opinion. 

Im glad hes on the back end, but this all really comes back to the fact that I personally think Juolevi will be a much better player than Tanev, in bothends of the rink. Juolevi has more hockey IQ in his left pinky than Tanev does, and that's not even a knock on Tanev. 

And for the record i never said Tanev had low hockey Iq, i said he wasnt a smart player, i think he has average hockey IQ.

You say he has mastered the end the rink. You say he is calm and composed and dumps the puck rather then making A high risk play. All the things you mentioned are what players with high IQ do. 

As for OJ I think you are right about him having a high IQ.  Cheers

Today’s showdown between Juolevi and Heiskanen ended with both players failing to register a point (and HIFK winning 2-1 over TPS). They remain tied at 13 points through 17 GP.

Olli had 3 shots through 18:55 TOI and finished a -1.

Looks like he started the game with Eronen but was later paired with Heikkinen. Eronen only played around 6 minutes (maybe injured?—can’t tell yet and the crappy Finnish translations on Twitter don’t help much, other than a few laughs when Elmeri Eronen gets translated as “Elmer Fudd Eronen”—honestly I’m not even joking).

I couldn’t watch this one so can’t really say how well he played.

But if he was back playing with Heikkinen this game, he probably was passing the puck pretty well as Ilkka had an insane 12 SOG, so somebody was definitely teeing it up for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Today’s showdown between Juolevi and Heiskanen ended with both players failing to register a point (and HIFK winning 2-1 over TPS). They remain tied at 13 points through 17 GP.

Olli had 3 shots through 18:55 TOI and finished a -1.

Looks like he started the game with Eronen but was later paired with Heikkinen. Eronen only played around 6 minutes (maybe injured?—can’t tell yet and the crappy Finnish translations on Twitter don’t help much, other than a few laughs when Elmeri Eronen gets translated as “Elmer Fudd Eronen”—honestly I’m not even joking).

I couldn’t watch this one so can’t really say how well he played.

But if he was back playing with Heikkinen this game, he probably was passing the puck pretty well as Ilkka had an insane 12 SOG, so somebody was definitely teeing it up for him.

I found a feed and watched and OJ was solid but clearly missing his normal partner as he made a number of passes to Heikkinen who was not ready for nearly any of them.   OJ thinks the game faster than Heik does.   The -1 was unfortunate and he was trapped as lone guy several time and finally the inevitable happened.   Heiskanen was invisible in comparison and looked a lot slower for some reason (feed was a tad choppy but frame rate was fine I think).   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I found a feed and watched and OJ was solid but clearly missing his normal partner as he made a number of passes to Heikkinen who was not ready for nearly any of them.   OJ thinks the game faster than Heik does.   The -1 was unfortunate and he was trapped as lone guy several time and finally the inevitable happened.   Heiskanen was invisible in comparison and looked a lot slower for some reason (feed was a tad choppy but frame rate was fine I think).   

Thanks for this. Glad to hear Olli played well in the loss.

I’m a little surprised that he and Heikkinen weren’t clicking, as they’ve been a pretty good partnership in several games together earlier this season. Maybe just a little rust or an off night? I’d expect they’ll be together again next game, especially if Eronen is injured (did you happen to notice him getting hurt?).

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for this. Glad to hear Olli played well in the loss.

I’m a little surprised that he and Heikkinen weren’t clicking, as they’ve been a pretty good partnership in several games together earlier this season. Maybe just a little rust or an off night? I’d expect they’ll be together again next game, especially if Eronen is injured (did you happen to notice him getting hurt?).

All I can guess at from what I saw is Eronen either tweaked a groin or took a shot off ankle as both happened about same time and he seemed in a bit of discomfort going to bench but did all on his own.    I think Heik and OJ just had different expectations for the game in terms of partners and got off on wrong foot and never recovered - it happens.

• Upvote 1