The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

18 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah because he absolutely dominated the league this year right?  I'd rather a player spend an extra year in Junior rather than get tossed in to a pro league when they are not ready, cough cough Jake Virtanen AND Jared McCann.  Do you really want to watch that happen again?

Plenty of players go back to Junior for their draft +2 season.  Strome gets like 3 points a game and he still got sent back for another year of junior.

Juolevi does have similarities to Tanev, and unfortunately like Tanev he also takes an absolute beating from opposing forwards in his own end.  I'm scared to see what grown men might do to him.  When McCann played for us It was always scary watching him take a hit.     

Good analysis. I am not sure why we keep seeing the opinion that Juolevi has "nothing more to learn in the OHL". He was not among the 5 D's short-listed for the the best defenceman award. His numbers are very similar to last year (actually marginally worse). Yes, this year's team was not as good, but it was still a very good team. And if that is the explanation that just means that last year's numbers were inflated by playing with outstanding teammates.

He has a lot to work on that the OHL level, including his skating speed and his shot. And of course he needs to gain strength, which takes time.

@The 5th Line is also correct in noting that Juolevi would get pushed around a lot and hit a lot at the NHL level, which can't be a good idea.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

More physical is what's best for him; he needs to get accustomed to the NHL game.

But as a lean guy, as young as he is do you think the way the canucks are going to get dominated next year is good for him? 40+ shots against many nights and forechecked all game long is good for him? I dont want him to be like tanev this year, out with injuries or battling through them all season.

12 minutes ago, Conscience said:

But as a lean guy, as young as he is do you think the way the canucks are going to get dominated next year is good for him? 40+ shots against many nights and forechecked all game long is good for him? I dont want him to be like tanev this year, out with injuries or battling through them all season.

No that's not what's best for him. That's also not what's being discussed. Hutton was saying thathat going to a soft euro league instead of returning to the Knights won't help his development. And I agree.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

No that's not what's best for him. That's also not what's being discussed. Hutton was saying thathat going to a soft euro league instead of returning to the Knights won't help his development. And I agree.

Well its what I'm discussing, and Wink said he needs to get accustomed to the NHL game, to me thats not OHL and the only way that happens is by playing in the NHL.

24 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Cater to the impatient  fans  and risk his development? That sounds pretty stupid.

It was sarcasm.......  thought the spinning emoji was a giveaway but apparently not.

I'm in no hurry for him other than to shut up the dummies......

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Well its what I'm discussing, and Wink said he needs to get accustomed to the NHL game, to me thats not OHL and the only way that happens is by playing in the NHL.

Why does this need you happen immediately? Let him cook in the minors until he's physically ready. 

I think we need to see how he looks in camp in the fall. There is not much point in arguing right now about what this (extremely smart) teenager will be like half a year from now. Raise your hands everybody who knew half a year before they first put on NHL uniforms that Hutton and Stecher would be able to step right into the NHL the way they did. Or that Poolparty and Dubois wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

I never realized I could feel the emotion of people through a message without emojis. I can just imagine some of you punching those letters in anger and others giggling as they type it lol. I think with Olli it's wait and see mode. Let's see if he can gain some strength and how he looks in camp next year. He's definetly getting the 9 games unless he has a terrible showing in camp and the only way I see that happening is if he has an injury. I think the kid could play next year but am not opposed to another year of waiting if he's physically not ready.  Europe would be a great option though if possible. 

Edited by ohmy
  • Upvote 1