The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 minutes ago, ohmy said:

He's definetly getting the 9 games 

I keep seeing something along these lines and it is very, VERY far from 'definite'. 

First, we need two of our D moved/injured/lost in the ED for there to even be roster space to give him 9 games. .

Second, he needs to work his arse off and get a LOT stronger this summer and show he's even ready for this level of play for even 9 games next season.

That's a LOT of dominoes that need to fall before anyone is declaring anything.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I keep seeing something along these lines and it is very, VERY far from 'definite'. 

First, we need two of our D moved/injured/lost in the ED for there to even be roster space to give him 9 games. .

Second, he needs to work his arse off and get a LOT stronger this summer and show he's even ready for this level of play for even 9 games next season.

true 

He was sent packing early last camp, and was clearly nowhere near NHL material,

Smart money says another year in Jr. then the "A"with call ups, maybe a year in Sweden or Switzerland somewhere in there too, 

maybe 2020 he'll take a regular spot

Remember, this guy came out of nowhere to grab a slot on the draft rankings, hype was a big concern especially considering the talent he was playing behind

We may have clearer image of what we got now, a good mid-level prospect with a really good chance of making the NHL

Just don't expect more than average to good

39 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I never realized I could feel the emotion of people through a message without emojis. I can just imagine some of you punching those letters in anger and others giggling as they type it lol. I think with Olli it's wait and see mode. Let's see if he can gain some strength and how he looks in camp next year. He's definetly getting the 9 games unless he has a terrible showing in camp and the only way I see that happening is if he has an injury. I think the kid could play next year but am not opposed to another year of waiting if he's physically not ready.  Europe would be a great option though if possible. 

I would agree except I was quite shocked at the way he was dismissed last year, that indicates a long way to go, I'm not convinced he gets 9 till I see him in camp

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

First, not an issue whatsoever. Trades/Expansion Draft/Waivers will take care of that and a rebuilding team will allow a young player to have a shot if they feel hes ready. I believe the only thing holding him back is strength. Which in that case,

Second, I completely agree with you he needs to get stronger so lets hope he comes in around that 200lb mark. I believe last camp he was around 192lbs. 

I have no fear that his game will translate. His defensive positioning is at an NHL level as well are his hockey smarts. We just cant expect him to come in and have a Werenski or Provorov type season. If he plays a steady game getting 15-17min a night then I believe that's a wonderful start to his career. That last line is very, VERY far from definite but I have hope. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

10 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

I would agree except I was quite shocked at the way he was dismissed last year, that indicates a long way to go, I'm not convinced he gets 9 till I see him in camp

Yeah your right and I was kind of hoping to see him in a few more games especially since they were exhibition. I thought his second game was much better than his first and what i found most encouraging is he seemed more effective with NHL structure than in the prospects tournament where you will still see more of a junior game. I do stand by my thought that strength is the only thing holding him back. It'll be fun to see how it plays out.

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I think people only say this because they are expecting him to be a far superior player compared to other Junior players considering his draft status but it's not like he dominated the league this year or anything.  I'd rather a player spend an extra year in Junior rather than get tossed in to a pro league when they are not ready, cough cough Jake Virtanen AND Jared McCann.  Do you really want to watch that happen again?

Plenty of players go back to Junior for their draft +2 season.  Strome gets like 3 points a game and he still got sent back for another year of junior.

Juolevi does have similarities to Tanev, and unfortunately like Tanev he also takes an absolute beating from opposing forwards in his own end.  I'm scared to see what grown men might do to him.  When McCann played for us It was always scary watching him take a hit.     

I think you are bang on! Rushing Joulevi to the NHL has little upside IMO. Fans should also have a clearer idea of how Hunter was using Joulevi in London. He deliberately used Joulevi as his d-side defenseman of choice. He was on the ice for PK and on d-zone FO's. AT that he still played usually on the 2nd PP unit. I only watched two London playoff games so far but in both Hunter had Joulevi on the ice on the 1st PP and his usual d-side shifts. My conclusion from all this is that Joulevi is getting NHL quality coaching from Hunter and will eventually come to the NHL as a very well rounded defenseman.

I much prefer he has the Draft +2 season in London rather than in Europe. The biggest issue with Joulevi is his physical development. That takes time plus weight training. Suggestions that playing 'men' in Europe would speed his physical development is over rated. I do not trust Euro development.  

Edited by Boudrias
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

More physical is what's best for him; he needs to get accustomed to the NHL game.

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

No that's not what's best for him. That's also not what's being discussed. Hutton was saying thathat going to a soft euro league instead of returning to the Knights won't help his development. And I agree.

The OHL isn't very physical either and I don't think it surpasses one of the top Euro leagues in physicality by a lot. After all, he'd be playing against men rather than against kids. 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

The OHL isn't very physical either and I don't think it surpasses one of the top Euro leagues in physicality by a lot. After all, he'd be playing against men rather than against kids. 

Wrong kind of men imo. I just see it creating more problems than its solving. Don't forget this is only his second season on North American ice. He's still learning it. If he goes over there he's still playing in a soft league and he'll have a harder time adjusting to the smaller ice when he comes back.

Solves no problems and creates one. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

true 

He was sent packing early last camp, and was clearly nowhere near NHL material,

Smart money says another year in Jr. then the "A"with call ups, maybe a year in Sweden or Switzerland somewhere in there too, 

maybe 2020 he'll take a regular spot

Remember, this guy came out of nowhere to grab a slot on the draft rankings, hype was a big concern especially considering the talent he was playing behind

We may have clearer image of what we got now, a good mid-level prospect with a really good chance of making the NHL

Just don't expect more than average to good

Wow, what a lack of insight.   This is a kid.   This "kid" will grow mentally and physically more in the next 12 to 24 months than any other point in his life and to make sure proclamations now is insane.   Development paths for Dmen is slower and less certain but you take a shot with drafting them by looking for potential that includes intelligence, physical projection and intangibles that range from toughness to quirks.   In this case, the Canucks took a chance on a Dman who could have more upside than any they have ever don their colours but that could also end up having zero NHL games.   The odds are certainly it will be in between but to say the upside is capped now is so pessimistic that clearly your glass half empty approach must make being a fan a tough thing.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, what a lack of insight.   This is a kid.   This "kid" will grow mentally and physically more in the next 12 to 24 months than any other point in his life and to make sure proclamations now is insane.   Development paths for Dmen is slower and less certain but you take a shot with drafting them by looking for potential that includes intelligence, physical projection and intangibles that range from toughness to quirks.   In this case, the Canucks took a chance on a Dman who could have more upside than any they have ever don their colours but that could also end up having zero NHL games.   The odds are certainly it will be in between but to say the upside is capped now is so pessimistic that clearly your glass half empty approach must make being a fan a tough thing.

Exactly.  Hutton was the same height with 3 extra lbs over Juolevi in his draft year, yet was ' Owns a very projectable frame' according to scout reports. http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/9379   As we now see, Ben has grown into a physically solid dman and it took a couple of years to do so.

The NHL comparable player to Olli is Lindholm, who was also chosen as 6th overall in his draft.  Lindolm was same height as Juolevi with 5 extra pounds.  He now weighs in at 202lbs. 

Give him some time, Folks.  This kid will be a gem of a dman for the Canucks.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Exactly.  Hutton was the same height with 3 extra lbs over Juolevi in his draft year, yet was ' Owns a very projectable frame' according to scout reports. http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/9379   As we now see, Ben has grown into a physically solid dman and it took a couple of years to do so.

The NHL comparable player to Olli is Lindholm, who was also chosen as 6th overall in his draft.  Lindolm was same height as Juolevi with 5 extra pounds.  He now weighs in at 202lbs. 

Give him some time, Folks.  This kid will be a gem of a dman for the Canucks.

I wish we could give it time....reading between the lines management wants Juolevi with the big club next year for whatever god awful reasoning they have, probably the same reasoning to have McCann and Virtanen with the big club last year. My guess is that owners put pressure on management to sell tickets and high end draft picks sell tickets. It would be frustrating as hell to have Juolevi play next year to sell some extra tickets.

7 hours ago, Conscience said:

But as a lean guy, as young as he is do you think the way the canucks are going to get dominated next year is good for him? 40+ shots against many nights and forechecked all game long is good for him? I dont want him to be like tanev this year, out with injuries or battling through them all season.

6 hours ago, Conscience said:

Well its what I'm discussing, and Wink said he needs to get accustomed to the NHL game, to me thats not OHL and the only way that happens is by playing in the NHL.

Wasn't advocating for where he should play, but rather that the contention of sending him to Europe to play in a relatively soft league is not at all what he needs.  He already has NHL game, NHL skills, and NHL smarts.  What he lacks is NHL strength, and that is why the Canucks are not sending him to Utica for pro experience but rather to get working on his physical aspects.  He would probably light up a big-ice low-contact Euro league, but that's not going to develop what he's lacking.  Putting him into game situations with relatively less physicality isn't going to push or test him; he needs to play in the closest approximation to the NHL they can get him if it's not actually in the NHL.

36 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Wasn't advocating for where he should play, but rather that the contention of sending him to Europe to play in a relatively soft league is not at all what he needs.  He already has NHL game, NHL skills, and NHL smarts.  What he lacks is NHL strength, and that is why the Canucks are not sending him to Utica for pro experience but rather to get working on his physical aspects.  He would probably light up a big-ice low-contact Euro league, but that's not going to develop what he's lacking.  Putting him into game situations with relatively less physicality isn't going to push or test him; he needs to play in the closest approximation to the NHL they can get him if it's not actually in the NHL.

If it is just bulking up that he needs, as I don't remember them saying anything about developing his "grit", then the Swedish league is not a bad option. They play less games which would allow him to do more training to bulk up on the side - the same reason why the extended practice and training time in the AHL is better for developing young players. Further, I do not agree with your statement about not needing to find his offensive game and I believe that "lighting up" a league to gain confidence with his offensive skills is definitely something he should be doing. Finding his speed and offensive game in the Swedish league is an intriguing idea and I am all for it given that he is unlikely to be given that role on the London Knights. If he can truly explode offensively, then we actually have a D prospect with #1 potential. 

With that said, it is very likely that if Juolevi bulks up this summer and can take the physicality of NHL players, that the Canucks will keep on the roster. I personally do not prefer this option either because I would like for him to find his offensive game prior to jumping to the pros. Where ever he ends up, I want him to be in a position to realize the full extent of his game before he truly gets typed cast into a role. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1