The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You missed the part where they slot him directly in to the AHL for two seasons under heavy ridicule from the eastern media and fans here at home then comes in to the league as a Calder winner

I know you're just having fun, but there is no way Hischier will knock out Dahlin or Svechnikov for the Calder. 

8 hours ago, HowYaDrouin said:

So below is the Concensus ranking, I believe Canucks will pick 6th, 7th or 8th.

Who would you take in those positions ? Assume 1-5 go in order, who would you like from 6-10 on the list ?

I want Michael Rasmussen.. Size, Strength, Speed, Scores and super strong on the faceoff for a 17 year old.

Edit: And for the love of everything AVOID Casey Mittelstadt like the plague. Just committed to 4 years at U of Minnesota. Sounds like another Vesey, Hayes or Schultz to me..

Consensus Rankings

Rank Player Pos. Team ISS Marek McKenzie Button HP FC
1 Nolan Patrick C Brandon (WHL) 1 1 1 1 1 1
2 Nico Hischier C Halifax (QMJHL) 3 3 2 2 2 4
3 Timothy Lijlgren D Rogle BK (SHL) 2 2 3 3 7 2
4 Gabriel Vilardi C Windsor (OHL) 5 5 4 5 5 5
5 Casey Mittelstadt C Green Bay (USHL) 6 8 5 10 3 3
6 Owen Tippett RW Mississauga (OHL) 4 6 6 6 12 6
7 Eeli Tolvanen LW Sioux City (USHL) 10 4 9 8 14 7
8 Martin Necas C HC Kometa Brno (Extraliga) 18 10 8 4 6 23
9 Michael Rasmussen C Tri-City (WHL) 7 11 7 11 15 20
10 Cale Makar D Brooks (AJHL) 13 12 12 13 8 18

My kid played with MR at Semi ( the kid is an offensive stud that hits and pl;ays great 2 way game )

If he is now 6 foot 6 as they say and is ranked at 3rd in some rankings (said on 1040 when he was interviewed today on the MID DAY show) and has kept his foot speed and skill like they say

You take him unless we are at 1 or 2 (only because he may have to grow into that 200 lbd frame )

He will be the best player after 5 years in the 2017 draft MARK MY WORDS

He comes from a great family ans is one of the most humble kids i have ever coached or been around

And because he is a home grown kid he may just kick start JV into playing harder 

Bur MR will surpass JV by miles 

I just cant say enough great things about the kid and if the Canucks can get him we will have our future #1 and have BH as our #2 for 13 years to come

That is such a great CENTER core it would be crazy

Edited by Freaky Freak
  • Upvote 3

We need to bet on what's working right now.... and that's the USHL/NCAA. It's been working not only for us but also for the rest of the NHL. Most top 10 picks from those leagues are turning out pretty well...

In our range, there's Mittelstadt and Tolvanen. If any of those two are available when we're up, I'd go with that and not look back.

• Upvote 3

Watched Portland vs Spokane tonight. It was Glass vs Anderson-Dolan all night, and I have to say Dolan looked much better (though he was playing with Yamamoto). 

Glass has great positioning and is always looking to get set up for a shot. He's a really good passer too with the ability to thread the needle. The main problem I had with him is the lack of intensity. He reminded me of Gaunce; smart player but you just want him to try a harder. To be fair though, the Spokane players were playing Glass hard and throwing hits every time they got a chance. He looked much better once he was moved to RW in the third period.

Anderson-Dolan had another good game. Lots of scoring chances and had a nice one-timer to tie the game in the third period. I just love the way he plays. With the Sedins retiring soon, there will come the opportunity for a change in team identity. Guys like Dolan, who are fast, skilled, fearless, and, most importantly, never take a shift off, are the types of players Canucks should be looking to draft. Fortunately, it seems like Canucks are on same page, drafting players like Adam Gaudette and William Lockwood, so, I hope this trend continues. 

Having said all that, the guy who really surprised me tonight was Henri Jokiharju. Dude is smooth and really good at reading the play. He has excellent gap control and uses his stick well to defend. Needs to bulk up but is so smart, making quick plays to get puck out of dzone. I would say he is a smaller, more offensive-minded Juolevi. Hopefully, Benning can actually get some draft picks this trade deadline because there are quite a few intriguing players in the 25-50 range. 

Also watched a bit of Vancouver vs Prince George, and I'm not sure if I really love Popugaev or really hate him. So much skill and raw potential but so selfish sometimes. Not sure if he will be able to grow out of that. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kaner said:

I know you're just having fun, but there is no way Hischier will knock out Dahlin or Svechnikov for the Calder. 

Pffft why not?  2 years in the AHL and enters the league on a line with Boeser and Virtanen or ??? while Dahlin feeds them 1 timers all night after we draft him 1st overall next year

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Pffft why not?  2 years in the AHL and enters the league on a line with Boeser and Virtanen or ??? while Dahlin feeds them 1 timers all night after we draft him 1st overall next year

That's the dream, isn't it? I have a feeling about next year. With the Sedins being one year older, along with the rest of the core, I could see us drafting top 2. Would go a long way in the rebuild. 

13 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

The Canucks are due.  They will finish with the third worst record.  Have the fourth best odds because of Vegas.  They will win the 2nd pick in the draft and pick Nico Hischier.  You heard it here.

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yes please! 

I'm on board with this too.

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You missed the part where they slot him directly in to the AHL for two seasons under heavy ridicule from the eastern media and fans here at home then comes in to the league as a Calder winner

giphy.gif

Valimaki has 8 comparables based on pGPS and all of them played 200+ NHL games. Hamhuis, Bouwmeester, and 6 more I don't know. Heard on CA podcast.

Top C:
Patrick

Mittelstadt
Vilardi

Top RW/LW:
Hischier (more of a winger to me at pro)
Tippet
Pettersson

Top D:
Valimaki
Foote
Makar

Others:

Necas

Glass

Tolvanen

Kostin

Hague

9 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Valimaki has 8 comparables based on pGPS and all of them played 200+ NHL games. Hamhuis, Bouwmeester, and 6 more I don't know. Heard on CA podcast.

Top C:
Patrick

Mittelstadt
Vilardi

Top RW/LW:
Hischier (more of a winger to me at pro)
Tippet
Pettersson

Top D:
Valimaki
Foote
Makar

Others:

Necas

Glass

Tolvanen

Kostin

Hague

So basically it's shaping up as a very weak draft?

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Anybody watched much of Robert Thomas with London? He is ranked to go anywhere from late 1st to mid second in the draft. I was quite impressed with him at the top prospects game but really have not seen much of him.

Hopefully JB can make some deals at the coming TDL for more second round picks, so we can draft guys like this.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2017 at 0:16 PM, HowYaDrouin said:

Edit: And for the love of everything AVOID Casey Mittelstadt like the plague. Just committed to 4 years at U of Minnesota. Sounds like another Vesey, Hayes or Schultz to me..

Lol this again (also... you can't avoid the plague, it always catches up to you)

Edited by S N Y P E R S 7
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Anybody watched much of Robert Thomas with London? He is ranked to go anywhere from late 1st to mid second in the draft. I was quite impressed with him at the top prospects game but really have not seen much of him.

A buddy of mine is friends with him. I saw him play a couple times, fringe first at best IMO, but my friend seems to think he will be a star

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

A buddy of mine is friends with him. I saw him play a couple times, fringe first at best IMO, but my friend seems to think he will be a star

Thanks. The colour guys during the prospect game were comparing him to Bo Horvat in his style of play and maturity. Don't know if that was just an easy comparison for them because of Horvat playing with the Knights as well or if they truly see strong similarities.

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Thanks. The colour guys during the prospect game were comparing him to Bo Horvat in his style of play and maturity. Don't know if that was just an easy comparison for them because of Horvat playing with the Knights as well or if they truly see strong similarities.

Yea in terms of play style I would say they are similar. I think he is a 3rd line guy in the NHL. Offensively, he is capable but not top 6 quality. Good 2 way player though.

I've talked about this before somewhere, but not in much detail. How do you guys feel about trading up to the top-2 spot this year?

It would have been impossible the last couple of years with guys like McDavid, Eichel, Mathews, Laine, etc. on the board, but this year's top end talent is viewed as not being on that same level. Possibly this year a team would be more open to listening to offers for a top-2 pick.

Let's go by the most likely scenario; Colorado wins the lottery and we pick say 6th. Would a trade along the lines of 1st + 2nd + Hutton be enough to move up and select Patrick or Hischier? Would you guys want to do that?

If Arizona wins the lottery, a deal could likely be reached involving Tanev and our 1st along with something else from them.

Would you guys be willing to pay to move up to the top-2 and get one of Patrick or Hischier in this draft?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've talked about this before somewhere, but not in much detail. How do you guys feel about trading up to the top-2 spot this year?

It would have been impossible the last couple of years with guys like McDavid, Eichel, Mathews, Laine, etc. on the board, but this year's top end talent is viewed as not being on that same level. Possibly this year a team would be more open to listening to offers for a top-2 pick.

Let's go by the most likely scenario; Colorado wins the lottery and we pick say 6th. Would a trade along the lines of 1st + 2nd + Hutton be enough to move up and select Patrick or Hischier? Would you guys want to do that?

If Arizona wins the lottery, a deal could likely be reached involving Tanev and our 1st along with something else from them.

Would you guys be willing to pay to move up to the top-2 and get one of Patrick or Hischier in this draft?

To me It's a good idea, but Doesn't JB think there is not much to choose between the top guys this draft? 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Meh why trade up if we can luck out and win the lottery while not tanking like the Yotes and Avs... we learnt last year tanking is no good due to the lotto and how the balls go. If we finish bottom 5 around 4th-5th last, we have a chance of drafting top 2 and drafting Patrick or Hischier. IMO, Yotes will go with the consensus #1 in Patrick while we go on to pick Hischier. Now that'd be the hockey gods smiling right back at us

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'd certainly consider it depending on price.