The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 hours ago, monkey2 said:

Could you post that leaked list by any chance?

My only fear with Middlestadt is that he would stay in university and become a FA and sign with Minnesota. To me, he has already shown that he is a homer by returning to play in highschool. Im afraid that his priority would be to stay in minnesota long-term. Is that a crazy assumption?

That's a fair assumption based on what you've pointed to. Hopefully Benning and co will screen through that during the interviews and combine training. Mittelstadt, based on his mature frame seems like he would need only 1 maybe 2 years of college hockey. 

Another thought is if you can find out if the Wild have interest in having a hometown boy with decent upside in their prospect pool? Maybe strike up a deal for Kaprizov/Tuch plus their first to nab him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Buttons March rankings 

IMG_8566.PNG

Who is Martin Necas and why is he #3 over guys like Vilardi and Mittelstadt??

Also, interesting to see that Timothy Liljegren is on loan to Timra of the Allsvenskan, the same team as Canuck prospect Dahlen and another 2017 top prospect Pettersson. Is their season still going or are they pretty much done for the year?

3 hours ago, monkey2 said:

My only fear with Middlestadt is that he would stay in university and become a FA and sign with Minnesota. To me, he has already shown that he is a homer by returning to play in highschool. Im afraid that his priority would be to stay in minnesota long-term. Is that a crazy assumption?

That would be my only worry as well. If he has a good interview with Benning at the pre draft Id take him 3rd or 4th overall. 

3 hours ago, monkey2 said:

He could, or we could have a Minnesota tandem of Mittelstadt and Boeser on the team. Heck, if all three pan out we could have an "All-American" line:

Mittelstadt - Gaudette - Boeser

3 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Also, interesting to see that Timothy Liljegren is on loan to Timra of the Allsvenskan, the same team as Canuck prospect Dahlen and another 2017 top prospect Pettersson. Is their season still going or are they pretty much done for the year?

I'm wondering the same thing... don't know a lot about Necas. 

My rankings as as of now. 

1. Patrick

2. Hischier 

3. Vilardi

4. Mittelstadt

if we don't get one of those guys I'll be pissy. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

A Czech forward playing in there Top Men league! A playmaking C Button compared to Giroux! Bob Mckenzie has him as a top 10 prospect aswell! (Although 3rd is the highest I've seen) 

10 minutes ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

A Czech forward playing in there Top Men league! A playmaking C Button compared to Giroux! Bob Mckenzie has him as a top 10 prospect aswell! (Although 3rd is the highest I've seen) 

If it wasn't for his size I have a feeling he would be as highly touted as hischier.

• Upvote 1

1) Patrick

2) Hischier

-------------

3) Liljegren

4) Necas

5) Pettersson

6) Vilardi

HM: Foote, Valimaki, Suzuki

I really like Hischier and his style of play, but I haven't seen much of Patrick. I'm just trusting the majority of scouts there. 

From there, I like Liljegren mainly because his payoff could be the most rewarding outside the top 2. I think some of his deficiencies have been slightly overblown similar to Chychrun last year and mono has not helped. Necas has been tracking very well according to reports and could be a solid player. Pettersson has been doing great things in Swedan and probably has one of the highest ceilings. Obviously the frame is a concern, but we need a skill set like his. Vilardi is someone who I think will be more of a winger. I think he would be absolute magic with Horvat down low as they are both big, strong and smart. 

To be honest, I don't think I'd be mad or dissapointed in the slightest if Benning didn't take one of the players I wanted. I'm not really attached to any of the players I prefer the same way I was last year with Keller and Sergachev. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Here's some videos you can watch to check him out

On 1/14/2017 at 8:00 PM, funkyfresh said:

Some videos:

He's #88.

The following video he forechecks, steals the puck from Juolevi, shrugs off a check and then passes to the point for a shot, which ends up a goal. He's #8.

The following video he backchecks, steals the puck, makes nice pass to send teammate on semi-breakaway, then follows up by going to net, forcing goalie to put it into his own net. He's #8.

The following video he gets open near the goal and puts puck on net, leading to rebound and a goal. He's #8.

The next two videos are full games if people want to see his play-style. He's #8. (second video is vs Hischier so you get 2 for 1)

This last video is just a small highlight package.

I really like the way he plays. He's fast with great hands. He's always moving and can change direction quickly. He reads the game well and supports his teammates in the defensive end. The thing I love is that he doesn't force the play too much with fancy moves and dekes, but when there is an opportunity, he will take advantage. Like Nick Suzuki, I see a guy who has a solid foundation which will allow him to be a decent 3rd-4th line player but also the skills and smarts to continually improve his game and have a strong chance at top 6 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

1. Patrick

2. Hischier

3. Mittelstadt

4. Vilardi

5. Liljegren

6. Pettersson

7. Necas

8. Makar

9. Tippett

10. Glass

If this is how the draft shapes up, and the Canucks don't get a top two pick, then if I were Benning, I'd pick Tippet and/Glass. Though, I personally want, in this order: 

1) Middlestadt 

2) Vilardi 

3) Tippett 

Outside the top two. Obviously, if we won the lottery, I'd take Patrick. Best  player available. 

• Upvote 1

Top 2 pick: Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier 

3-8 Pick - one of the following in no particular order:

Casey Mittelstadt

Gabe Vilardi

Martin Necas

I will be satisfied if we pick up one out of these five guys. We really need a strong center who can make high IQ plays with skill. Thus, I would pick BPA of the centers that are still on the board when we pick. I have been strong on Mittelstadt so far because I think he is perfect for what we need (outside of the top 2) and has proven that he shouldn't be written off because he went back to be a highschool hero. Vilardi is an all-around strong player that makes high IQ plays and has potential to progess his game even more if paired with the right playmaking winger/center. Necas has been proving himself to be a player worth talking about - I see his game to be similar to Goldobin, but playing at a more responsible position at center. Necas is currently playing with former Canucks prospect Alexandre Mallet, so perhaps GM JB will make a trip out to see what the potential is out there. 

All in all, those are my targets as of right now. I hope we pick up one of them. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Casey Mittelstadt

Gabe Vilardi

Martin Necas

I will be satisfied if we pick up one out of these five guys. We really need a strong center who can make high IQ plays with skill. Thus, I would pick BPA of the centers that are still on the board when we pick. I have been strong on Mittelstadt so far because I think he is perfect for what we need (outside of the top 2) and has proven that he shouldn't be written off because he went back to be a highschool hero. Vilardi is an all-around strong player that makes high IQ plays and has potential to progess his game even more if paired with the right playmaking winger/center. Necas has been proving himself to be a player worth talking about - I see his game to be similar to Goldobin, but playing at a more responsible position at center. Necas is currently playing with former Canucks prospect Alexandre Mallet, so perhaps GM JB will make a trip out to see what the potential is out there. 

All in all, those are my targets as of right now. I hope we pick up one of them. 

My feeling going into this draft is about the same. I also would be happy with one of Pettersson or Liljegren. But those three would be my primary targets. Vilardi's work ethic just screams "Pick Me!". 

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Casey Mittelstadt

Gabe Vilardi

Martin Necas

Necas and Goldobin aren't really great comparables. Necas is one of the best skaters in the draft; similar to william nylander in his draft year, in terms of skating. He's also a good two-way player whereas Goldobin is still developing that part of his game. Necas also brings a bit more passion and heart while goldobin is calm and cool.