The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Alf, How do you post 10000 times a year? You've been on the site two years and have posted almost 21000 times, thats like 30 a day. What job do you have?

Makes it a little easier what you factor in that 10,000 of those posts have nothing to do with hockey and simply state "Alf likes to eat cats" or "Alf is from another planet" :P

• Upvote 2

The top 10 guys I want the Canucks to draft:

1. Patrick

2. Hischier

3. Vilardi

4. Mittlestadt

5. Petterson

6. Liljegren

7. Valimaki

8. Necas

9. Glass

10. Tolvanen

Not a fan of Tippett or Rasmussen (well Rasmussen is good, I just don't see him fitting in our future core, he's more of a middle-6 project).  

If we somehow fall closer to 10th, I also wouldn't be opposed to taking Makar or Kostin, but would prefer one of the other guys.

If we get a pick in the 2nd half of the 1st round via a trade, I would love for us to pick up a big bodied winger in Popaguev or Vesalianen, or one of the smaller skilled forwards in Yamamoto or Suzuki.  All 4 have super high ceilings IMO.

2nd round hoping for Boqvist, Mattheos, Ratcliffe, Jokiharju, or Brannstrom.  All of them might be gone by the time we get our pick though.

I say take Mittelstadt, and ride with Horvat and Casey down the middle. Ideally, you'd like an "elite" C to match up with McDavid, Monahan, Scheifele, etc..

However, take a look at Chicago - they've found success with an excellent 2 way C in Toews, and filter in a Ansimov, or a lesser player to compliment their elite wingers. By no means am I calling Horvat a Toews, or even comparing us to Chicago. We're not even in the same stratosphere as them. All I am saying is that it isn't unheard of for teams to win a cup without that "elite" C, as long as they have an elite winger to make up for offensive talent that is lossed.

29 minutes ago, Kaner said:

I say take Mittelstadt, and ride with Horvat and Casey down the middle. Ideally, you'd like an "elite" C to match up with McDavid, Monahan, Scheifele, etc..

However, take a look at Chicago - they've found success with an excellent 2 way C in Toews, and filter in a Ansimov, or a lesser player to compliment their elite wingers. By no means am I calling Horvat a Toews, or even comparing us to Chicago. We're not even in the same stratosphere as them. All I am saying is that it isn't unheard of for teams to win a cup without that "elite" C, as long as they have an elite winger to make up for offensive talent that is lossed.

But they had/have Kane and Hossa

2017-draft-march-tiers1.png

Tiers provided courtesy of Canucks Army and are only based on consolidated 3rd party draft rankings.

Personally they look pretty solid to me, though I would put Cody Glass in that second tier on my personal list.

Of note, the first four of tier 4 (Foote, Yamamoto, Suzuki and Hague) I personally believe are very intriguing and a mid to late first rounder picked up to acquire either one of the D or one of the forwards would be a good idea depending on the price. Foote and Hague can probably become top 4 d-men on size and skating alone and I find both Yamamoto and Suzuki as extremely interesting- especially the larger Suzuki.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

This may sound like a joke to most but one could argue Benning signed Eriksson to be our Hossa. This past year is not a reflection of how much of an asset he will be for us down the road. 

Totally agree man, he had a weak season this year but down the road i think he will be a fantastic mentor for our up and coming wingers like Boeser.  His 2 way play and experience in the league will be very valuable to this team.

• Upvote 1

our wings are starting to get crowded for the top six. hopefully that breeds competition, which then hopefully will land us the best top six we can gather. 

third line is critical as well. we need a good line there that can be dangerous offensively, but also shutdown defensively. that's not an easy line to create. 

fourth line. it's funny. i find that the canucks have always had a hard time developing a good fourth line for years. there are different ideas of what the fourth line should do, or be. crash and bang? don't get scored on. lol. i just want a fourth line that can be physical, good defensively, and chip in the odd offensive. so in other words, lots of two-way, physical, hard nosed players on the fourth line. 

44 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Honestly Skille is probably one of the best fourth liners in the league. Has has the skill, speed, and grit. I've been nothing but impressed with him thus far. I think him matched with Crammy and Gaunce consistently would be a pretty top notch fourth line. 

I would rather have dorsett over skilled tbh

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

I would rather have dorsett over skilled tbh

I like Dorsett but if we save a mill I'd keep Skille the little guy is on his way out too many hard miles he would be great if we were close but we are not so I would expose him and Sbisa I'm not crying if we lost 1 for nothing.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

But they had/have Kane and Hossa

Feels like Hossa has been playing for years now. I agree with @Kaner's idea. You don't need an elite center like a Crosby, Toews, McDavid, etc to win the Cup. You need a center who understands the system and plays the game well and shares the puck with his linemates and creates chances for them. If he can create chances himself, that'll be icing on the cake

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

our wings are starting to get crowded for the top six. hopefully that breeds competition, which then hopefully will land us the best top six we can gather. 

third line is critical as well. we need a good line there that can be dangerous offensively, but also shutdown defensively. that's not an easy line to create. 

fourth line. it's funny. i find that the canucks have always had a hard time developing a good fourth line for years. there are different ideas of what the fourth line should do, or be. crash and bang? don't get scored on. lol. i just want a fourth line that can be physical, good defensively, and chip in the odd offensive. so in other words, lots of two-way, physical, hard nosed players on the fourth line. 

I don't know if it will hapen but I'd love to see us have an actual shut down/PITA line next year and a 'kid' scoring line in our bottom 6 minutes to be doled out depending on individual game needs.

Baer(or trade), Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

???, Sutter, Dorsett

Boucher?, Shore?, Goldobin

That LW for Sutter could be Gaunce if he's not selected in the ED, another prospect, Skille, Crammer, a UFA etc. Heck, perhaps even Virtanen (though largely, I'd prefer he stay in Utica next year).

I like the thoughts on louis- based on his entire career his first season with a new team usually his numbers suck. They did in Dallas and they did in Boston.

i really expect the sedins and him to have better numbers next year and provide excellent mentors hip for the youngins like you say.

The Chicago Kane and Toews comparison just doesn't stick with me though.

Toews and Kane are such unique players. Kane is one of the highest skilled players in the league and Toews is a ridiculous leader and winner. He has won on every single stage of competition possible and I really don't think what Chicago has with them can be replicated.

If Petersson can play centre at the next level I would take I long hard look at him after the top 5. The numbers he put up in swedens div 2 are ridiculous for a draft eligible, he is out producing a lot of guys who were able to produce quite well in the AHL.