The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

I would rather have dorsett over skilled tbh

if we lose gaunce in the expansion draft, then replace gaunce with dorsett. 

i like the line of crammer, skille, dorsett. except, who's the centre there? 

neither of those guys are centres if i'm not mistaken. 

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Check out this mock draft. They have Colorado taking Liljegren, I suppose they need D and they already have good forwards...kinda makes sense.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/3/21/14980914/nhl-mock-draft-2017-trade-deadline-nolan-patrick-hischier-avalanche-simulation-coyotes-lottery-vegas

I'd be estactic if Vilardi fell to us. 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't know if it will hapen but I'd love to see us have an actual shut down/PITA line next year and a 'kid' scoring line in our bottom 6 minutes to be doled out depending on individual game needs.

Baer(or trade), Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

???, Sutter, Dorsett

Boucher?, Shore?, Goldobin

That LW for Sutter could be Gaunce if he's not selected in the ED, another prospect, Skille, Crammer, a UFA etc. Heck, perhaps even Virtanen (though largely, I'd prefer he stay in Utica next year).

Goldobin on the fourth line?? 

I think, with the current roster, and if no major pieces (forwards) moves out, then this is what I assume will happen with roster (if Willie comes back, then no gaurantees): 

Baer-Horvat-Granlund

Sedin-Sedin-Ericksson

Boucher-Sutter-Goldobin

Dorsett-Shore-Cramarossa

Assuming Boucher comes into camp in shape next season, if not, then that left wing slot is open for Sutter's line. 

I would leave Virtanen down in Utica, light a fire under his ass to compete even harder and make a point to management that he's deserving. 

I would like Goldobin to playing top six minutes, but I'm not sure if his game would fit with the Sedins...

Boeser is 50-50 in my books whether he makes the club out of training camp. If not, then Utica for some seasoning...

Dahlen will be either in Sweden's 1st Division, or he is in Utica. I don't think he makes it straight to the club out of training camp. No need to rush our prospects now, bring them up when they are deserving and when they ready. 

Looking at that roster, realistically, we gonna have another long year next year. But 2018 sounds like a good draft to be having a poor season for. 

3 minutes ago, Ichiban604 said:

Hopefully not, I'm hoping for he 1st or 2nd overall

Yea. But that's assuming we don't get the 1st or 2nd overall. 

It is a lottery so I guess anything can happen. But our club has never had 1st overall pick. ever

If Middlestadt is available when we pick (again, assuming we don't have the 1st or 2nd picks), I would be jumping and doing cartwheels. If we win 1st overall, I might just die and see the Lord..

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then (maybe?) we could trade down a couple spots, and still get our guy, while collecting another pick or two?

That's possible too. I wouldn't mind that route. 

However, if we have an opportunity to get Patrick, we take it. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Then (maybe?) we could trade down a couple spots, and still get our guy, while collecting another pick or two?

I don't know.. Nico and Patrick hard to pass them up, since this years draft is more unpredictable. Patrick more of sure thing to be a top 6, well Nico have more potential to be a star.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea. But that's assuming we don't get the 1st or 2nd overall. 

It is a lottery so I guess anything can happen. But our club has never had 1st overall pick. ever

If Middlestadt is available when we pick (again, assuming we don't have the 1st or 2nd picks), I would be jumping and doing cartwheels. If we win 1st overall, I might just die and see the Lord..

$&!#, if we get f over again and draft outside the top 3, vancity fans might start to smash and burn things again. I do hope whoever picks in the top 3 pick a Dman.

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Goldobin on the fourth line?? 

I think, with the current roster, and if no major pieces (forwards) moves out, then this is what I assume will happen with roster (if Willie comes back, then no gaurantees): 

Baer-Horvat-Granlund

Sedin-Sedin-Ericksson

Boucher-Sutter-Goldobin

Dorsett-Shore-Cramarossa

Assuming Boucher comes into camp in shape next season, if not, then that left wing slot is open for Sutter's line. 

I would leave Virtanen down in Utica, light a fire under his ass to compete even harder and make a point to management that he's deserving. 

I would like Goldobin to playing top six minutes, but I'm not sure if his game would fit with the Sedins...

Boeser is 50-50 in my books whether he makes the club out of training camp. If not, then Utica for some seasoning...

Dahlen will be either in Sweden's 1st Division, or he is in Utica. I don't think he makes it straight to the club out of training camp. No need to rush our prospects now, bring them up when they are deserving and when they ready. 

Looking at that roster, realistically, we gonna have another long year next year. But 2018 sounds like a good draft to be having a poor season for. 

No, not really. If you read the post, I noted it would be an offensive 'kid' line and those two lines would see more minutes based on game to game situation. It's not about putting Goldobin in a 'bang and crash' 4th line role.

If it makes you feel better, flip those two lines and call it the '3rd'.

I'd prefer Sutter's line to be primarily a match up/shutdown/PITA line. Pairing him with Boucher and Goldobin would be the opposite of that and doesn't play to Sutter's (or those W's) strengths IMO. Sutter puts up a pretty consistent +/- 30-35 points regardless of line mates. No sense 'wasting' offensive players with him when he'll produce just as well without them and arguably be more effective over the other 180' of ice with more bang and crash types.

Sutter's line would be the primary match up line, followed by Horvat's. The Sedin and Shore lines would share offensive starts and easier match ups primarily.

I have updated my top 5 as follows, in order of who I am hoping the Canucks take in each spot, not how I think the draft will go.

1-Hischier- I think he will be the best player in the draft.  Could be the point producing skilled centre that we need.  Would slot in well with Horvat to set up a 1a/1b situation.  Reminds me alot of Drouin's playing style.

2-Patrick-  Not as dynamic as Hischier, but plays a better 2 way game.  Love his size and potential.  I think he could be a Sean Monaghan/Mark Scheifele type player for us.

3-Liljegren: Is the most dynamic defenseman in the draft.  Very strong skater.  Could be the 1st pairing offensive dman that we need.  

4-Vilardi-  Plays a similar  game to Horvat in that he has a strong overall game.  Pretty safe pick that will likely be a 2nd line 2 way centre

5-MIttelstadt- HIgh scoring Centre with good size.  Brings a skill level and scoring potential that we don't have with our current centers.  Boom or bust type player.  Although a centre, I think he brings a very similar skill set to Brock Boesser.

Edited by BCNate
edited to show only top 5 picks
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No, not really. If you read the post, I noted it would be an offensive 'kid' line and those two lines would see more minutes based on game to game situation. It's not about putting Goldobin in a 'bang and crash' 4th line role.

If it makes you feel better, flip those two lines and call it the '3rd'.

I'd prefer Sutter's line to be primarily a match up/shutdown/PITA line. Pairing him with Boucher and Goldobin would be the opposite of that and doesn't play to Sutter's (or those W's) strengths IMO. Sutter puts up a pretty consistent +/- 30-35 points regardless of line mates. No sense 'wasting' offensive players with him when he'll produce just as well without them and arguably be more effective over the other 180' of ice with more bang and crash types.

Sutter's line would be the primary match up line, followed by Horvat's. The Sedin and Shore lines would share offensive starts and easier match ups primarily.

My apologies. I skimmed over your post, and saw Goldobin on the last line, and assumed it was you putting him on the fourth. 

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't know if it will hapen but I'd love to see us have an actual shut down/PITA line next year and a 'kid' scoring line in our bottom 6 minutes to be doled out depending on individual game needs.

Baer(or trade), Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

???, Sutter, Dorsett

Boucher?, Shore?, Goldobin

That LW for Sutter could be Gaunce if he's not selected in the ED, another prospect, Skille, Crammer, a UFA etc. Heck, perhaps even Virtanen (though largely, I'd prefer he stay in Utica next year).

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Sven - Bo - Goldy

Eriksson - Sutter - Boeser

Don’t care – Don’t Care - Dorsett

Sedins have found success with Granny, might as well leave that.

Move Bo and Sven into a 1b role, Goldy gives them more offense to be a constant scoring threat,  Bo and even sven are strong enough defensively to make that line reliable at both ends.  Would like to see them getting higher Ozone starts, and PP time.

Eriksson and Sutter are both good 2 way players,  that will help shelter Boeser's entry into the league but also playing with two vets will open up some space for him.  Eriksson and sutter are a perfect match,  Louis first found success in boston playing along side of soderberg and Kelly,  and then even more success playing with Bergeron, Marchand.  All very similar skillsets to Sutter and Boeser,  200 foot center and goal scoring winger. Eriksson had a tough transition this year, but I think will fit in better next year. If boeser isn't ready, there's a few options, Jake, Rodin if he's back with us, possible Boucher if he stays,  but i'd like to see Boeser get a shot. 

Don't care about the 4th line.  Would like to see pure enegry players,  Size and Speed.

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Sven - Bo - Goldy

Eriksson - Sutter - Boeser

Don’t care – Don’t Care - Dorsett

Sedins have found success with Granny, might as well leave that.

Move Bo and Sven into a 1b role, Goldy gives them more offense to be a constant scoring threat,  Bo and even sven are strong enough defensively to make that line reliable at both ends.  Would like to see them getting higher Ozone starts, and PP time.

Eriksson and Sutter are both good 2 way players,  that will help shelter Boeser's entry into the league but also playing with two vets will open up some space for him.  Eriksson and sutter are a perfect match,  Louis first found success in boston playing along side of soderberg and Kelly,  and then even more success playing with Bergeron, Marchand.  All very similar skillsets to Sutter and Boeser,  200 foot center and goal scoring winger. Eriksson had a tough transition this year, but I think will fit in better next year. If boeser isn't ready, there's a few options, Jake, Rodin if he's back with us, possible Boucher if he stays,  but i'd like to see Boeser get a shot. 

Don't care about the 4th line.  Would like to see pure enegry players,  Size and Speed.

I'd prefer to keep Eriksson with Horvat who also has similar (and higher ceiling) attributes, Goldy more sheltered and Boeser in Utica.

Horvat's line should also be our 1A line next year.

I see no need/reason to put offensive W's with Sutter either:

55 minutes ago, J.R. said:

18 minutes ago, Derp... said:

If we get Patrick or Hischier do you guys think they are NHL ready? I'm torn on both.

Patrick could maybe play next year but probably shouldn't. Hischier I think would need at least one, if not (at least part of) two years.

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I'd prefer to keep Eriksson with Horvat who also has similar (and higher ceiling) attributes, Goldy more sheltered and Boeser in Utica.

I want to see goldy with Sven,  Very similar to the Johansen, Sven and Rattie line that tore up Juniors.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Horvat's line should also be our 1A line next year.

By the end of the year they will be, or else we ill be in trouble

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I see no need/reason to put offensive W's with Sutter either:

We need to spread out the offensive.  Every line should be able to put the puck in the net.  Sutter and Eriksson are the grinders that will dig the puck out and free space up for the young rookie....

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

If we get Patrick or Hischier do you guys think they are NHL ready? I'm torn on both.

The 2018 NHL draft is pretty deep with Dahlin (top pairing D), Svechnikov (Russia's next big winger), Veleno (C), Jake Wise, etc. If we don't get Patrick or Hischier (who may give us a decent chance at making the post-season), I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of our prospects build up confidence, strength and hockey IQ by playing in the AHL (or even Juniors) for 1 more year before going to the NHL (if this constitutes 'tanking', so be it).

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I want to see goldy with Sven,  Very similar to the Johansen, Sven and Rattie line that tore up Juniors.

By the end of the year they will be, or else we ill be in trouble

We need to spread out the offensive.  Every line should be able to put the puck in the net.  Sutter and Eriksson are the grinders that will dig the puck out and free space up for the young rookie....

In hoping we trade Baer personally :lol: Goldy has plenty of time to play on a higher line (Baer or otherwise). Doesn't have to happen next year in a line we all expect to take on the lion's share of top QOC and expectations to produce. He'll get plenty of opportunity with injuries and retiring Sedins. 

Then why did you list then as 1B? :P

Eriksson is not a grinder and Sutter (and hence that line) can and will produce offense regardless of line mates.