The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

56 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Listen to the interview.  He regards Ehlers as a better lateral skater (best he's seen in Halifax in 20 years), but straight-ahead speed may be the same.  Ehlers is slighter, whereas Hischier doesn't shy away from contact and his #1 priority this summer is to gain weight.  Says Hischier has at least as much hockey sense as Ehlers, and is a complete player right now; no big weaknesses.  In fact, suggests he could make the team that drafts him this Fall.  All in all, very positive.

Regardless who we pick, I would love to see them spend 2 years in development.  Hischier's biggest attraction at the 1-2 spot without trading down is his ability to jump directly to the AHL 

Being able to slot him in and immediately start building chemistry with Virtanen who stride for stride is fast like this team hasn't seen in a long while as well as the other upcoming prospects would be huge.  Also it would be a huge draw for Utica and allow this team a semblance of hope for the future while still playing with the roster we have and garnering another high pick next year.

No matter who we pick in what position I'd like 2 years of development

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

The under 18s will be huge for Canucks fans this year. Get to see Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Glass, Mittelstadt all head to head.  I'd be happy with any of those guys. Just gotta hope we lose both games to Edmonton. 

Patrick and Mittelstadt are too old and Glass is still in playoffs.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

How would Edmonton look now if they'd reached a bit and taken Lindholm, let alone a Trouba or Forsberg?  Nobody can for-sure project how all players will turn out, but if there's a guy you're really sold on I think you take him even if it's a bit of a reach -- that is, unless you get some sweet offers to swap picks, but then that's where something like a trigger deal comes in.  An extra 2nd round pick doesn't mean much if the guy you really wanted gets taken in the process and turns out as you figured he would.

Should JB take a Necas, Glass, or CM with the first or second pick?  He'd certainly be roasted at first and especially if Patrick and Hischier turn out better, but would be a genius if they didn't.  How confident is he in his and his scouts' assessment? Typically GMs err on the conservative side, especially that high in the draft.

JB is going pick who he thinks is the best player without hesitation.  Last year after PLD was picked, JB almost ran to the podium to pick OJ.  No hesitation.  Say want you may about his selections, he is confident in his drafting and it shows.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Do we go for a potential high-profile (1st / 2nd) center or do we go for a potential franchise defenseman in Liljegren?

Our future need is another top-end center prospect that can give be a threat after Horvat (and when Henrik retires).

The way I'm thinking about it more and more, if we pick 3-5 I'd like to just snap up the best d in the draft again.  Honestly, we are looking at another lottery next season.   There's no one earth shattering to select at forward this year, so why not set the team up more so on the back end? 

Add that elusive mobile top pair rhd with offensive acumen.  Liljegren is like juolevi+.   Liljegren is also already playing vs men and should also be able to make the jump to NA pro much faster.   Having two fast smart all situation dmen...  how's that working out for Columbus?

Then you dangle Tanev + for a center.  Throw in a couple picks and Virtanen for all I care.  We'll literally have our back end set up with all types of dmen including 2 potential top pairing D and our franchise goalie ready to move forward with.  Not to mention a couple of monsters in gudbranson and tryamkin, both of whom I expect to grow into solid top 4 defenders.  

If you don't find your man on the trade market, next year you go back after a center at the draft again.  You can't break the bank thinking we'll win next years lottery and get Dahlin, but if that were to happen then you keep the upgrade and can take advantage of the strong defensman market.

unless Patrick or hischier are available to us, I honestly think Liljegren makes the most sense for this franchise.   Not that I think the top two are superstars or anything, but they're worth the gamble to see if they can become that next elusive 1C.   Imo they're the only centres with that potential in this draft... and neither is a shoe in to reach that potential. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Regardless who we pick, I would love to see them spend 2 years in development.  Hischier's biggest attraction at the 1-2 spot without trading down is his ability to jump directly to the AHL 

Being able to slot him in and immediately start building chemistry with Virtanen who stride for stride is fast like this team hasn't seen in a long while as well as the other upcoming prospects would be huge.  Also it would be a huge draw for Utica and allow this team a semblance of hope for the future while still playing with the roster we have and garnering another high pick next year.

No matter who we pick in what position I'd like 2 years of development

Nico and Jake... May just be what the doctor ordered, slot Dalhen or Goldy on their wing.  Damn.  They would have to give AHL d men a head start just make it fair.  They would exciting to watch, it would be blurry, but awesome.  

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 70seven said:

The way I'm thinking about it more and more, if we pick 3-5 I'd like to just snap up the best d in the draft again.  Honestly, we are looking at another lottery next season.   There's no one earth shattering to select at forward this year, so why not set the team up more so on the back end? 

Add that elusive mobile top pair rhd with offensive acumen.  Liljegren is like juolevi+.   Liljegren is also already playing vs men and should also be able to make the jump to NA pro much faster.   Having two fast smart all situation dmen...  how's that working out for Columbus?

Then you dangle Tanev + for a center.  Throw in a couple picks and Virtanen for all I care.  We'll literally have our back end set up with all types of dmen including 2 potential top pairing D and our franchise goalie ready to move forward with.  Not to mention a couple of monsters in gudbranson and tryamkin, both of whom I expect to grow into solid top 4 defenders.  

If you don't find your man on the trade market, next year you go back after a center at the draft again.  You can't break the bank thinking we'll win next years lottery and get Dahlin, but if that were to happen then you keep the upgrade and can take advantage of the strong defensman market.

unless Patrick or hischier are available to us, I honestly think Liljegren makes the most sense for this franchise.   Not that I think the top two are superstars or anything, but they're worth the gamble to see if they can become that next elusive 1C.   Imo they're the only centres with that potential in this draft... and neither is a shoe in to reach that potential. 

That may be exactly what JB does. I would not be upset if this is the course he takes if the center he wants is gone.  JB knows what he is looking for, likely has an early read on next years draft too.  I feel that the top 4 players will be forwards again this year, so it all depends on where we pick.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Agreed -- if it's between Patrick and Hischier I think they go Nico, especially considering some of the recent comments about Patrick's compete level.  That's why I also think Glass and Necas are high on their list.

U think Benning would consider skipping on Patrick? 

i doubt they would pass on patrick.  seems to interview well inspite of some adverse media reports on his character.  if he meets all expectations then he is a key cog of our rebuild.  if patrick is gone they might be looking at nechas or lijegrin for highest offensive upside which remains our biggest need at the moment.  this will surely be one of the most interesting drafts in recent memory tho

Trading down from the top 2 definitely makes sense and I would consider it, but Hischier's potential future development could be too good to pass up. The fact that he could go straight to the AHL is a big positive. It would mean we are in absolute control of his development from the moment we pick him. There are some other prospects that could do that as well, but nobody as good as Hischier right now. I think that would be a major contributor to Hischier potentially going ahead of Patrick, along with Patrick's own concerns. 

Outside the top 2, it seems as though Bennning is pretty high on Necas. I would absolutely take him top 5 based on what I've heard (haven't been able to watch him at all like most others) and maybe even at 3rd overall. The other player I would strongly consider is Liljegren. He is the absolute inverse of Juolevi. What Juolevi has defensively, Liljegren has offensively and vice versa. 

I think my #5 spot is pretty up in the air, with maybe Vilardi having the slight edge. I also don't think it would be complete heresy to take Foote there as well:

1) Hischier

2) Patrick

3) Necas

4) Liljegren

5) Vilardi

6) Foote

Foote is probably a long shot but those are the guys I would probably prefer. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Benning took someone else as I trust his judgement over my own. 

28 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Trading down from the top 2 definitely makes sense and I would consider it, but Hischier's potential future development could be too good to pass up. The fact that he could go straight to the AHL is a big positive. It would mean we are in absolute control of his development from the moment we pick him. There are some other prospects that could do that as well, but nobody as good as Hischier right now. I think that would be a major contributor to Hischier potentially going ahead of Patrick, along with Patrick's own concerns. 

Outside the top 2, it seems as though Bennning is pretty high on Necas. I would absolutely take him top 5 based on what I've heard (haven't been able to watch him at all like most others) and maybe even at 3rd overall. The other player I would strongly consider is Liljegren. He is the absolute inverse of Juolevi. What Juolevi has defensively, Liljegren has offensively and vice versa. 

I think my #5 spot is pretty up in the air, with maybe Vilardi having the slight edge. I also don't think it would be complete heresy to take Foote there as well:

1) Hischier

2) Patrick

3) Necas

4) Liljegren

5) Vilardi

6) Foote

Foote is probably a long shot but those are the guys I would probably prefer. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Benning took someone else as I trust his judgement over my own. 

Foote might actually be the closest thing to an absolute cannot miss pick in the 1st round.

his size, his skating and his intelligence on the blue line will see him play 5-15 years in the NHL almost without question

Cannot say that about the rest of the picks honestly for various reasons

45 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1) Hischier

2) Patrick

3) Necas

4) Liljegren

5) Vilardi

6) Foote

Middelstadt kid?

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

Liljegren also does well in tournaments and we know Benning is big on those.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1) Hischier

2) Patrick

3) Necas

4) Liljegren

5) Vilardi

6) Foote

Thats basically my list too. I'd probably even put Petterson in there before Valardi though. With Petterson height if he fills out he could be an excellent top line center.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Middelstadt kid?

I don't like the fact that his production is mostly on the powerplay. We can easily sign a Gagner type player when we are competing again like Columbus has if our powerplay is that bad. But really, if we are able to generate offense at even strength, which is what I want for our pick, then the powerplay shouldn't be a problem. 

I also don't know anything about Glass, but based on what I've read he seems like a pretty safe bet to be an average 2C/3C. Could be wrong though.