The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

So long as we get swept by Edmonton, which theyre still hoping to eek out 1st place...

we 100% get one of:

patrick

hischier

mittlestadt

vllardi

liljegren

I'm happy with any of these players.   Still think they manage to win one of those games... 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

I saw him play against Moose Jaw one night and he was downright lazy. When he has the puck he’s fine..but when he doesn’t...

Honestly, this is my concern too. I watched 3 hours of shift by shift game tape of this guy and I see the same thing. A wicked shot from the top of the left circle. But when he doesn't have the puck, he does alot of floating around, he is super slow. That added onto the injury problems. In some of the interviews I have watched he just doesn't seem to be having fun and is taking things for granted. Seems entitled and lazy flowing off last seasons high and his family pedigree. I pass on Patrick.

5 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

I'm more worried about Patrick's personality than his injuries. I know it's pretty old but his twitter shenanigans really turned me off and then there is this article: https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/ 

Here's the nolan specific parts posted by JetsAlternate on Hfboards

Might make Sakic think long and hard about picking him

He is a heart and soul character 

will be interesting on draft day, 

11 hours ago, 70seven said:

I agree on hischier.  For a skilled player who's game is really built on speed and offence, his numbers aren't really all that eye popping, especially considering he plays in the Q.  He's not even on par with ehlers and certainly not drouin.  I still really like Patrick though.  Honestly I think he's the only potential franchise changer in this draft.  Still think there's Trevor linden like upside there.  

I do do respect Craig buttons opinion that he sees zetterberg in hischier.  That's worth noting imo.

He also played in a far inferior team. I'd rank him roughly on par, but slightly ahead of, Ehlers.

Edited by J.R.

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Not sure if you guys saw this. I found it really interesting about Cody Glass. 

ISS Hockey has released its monthly rankings of the top prospects for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. This month's rankings include the top 150 skaters, along with the top 15 goaltenders, as evaluated and ranked by ISS Hockey's worldwide network of scouts. 

Below is the ISS Top 31, highlighting the rankings for the top 31 prospects, which is released the first Wednesday of every month during the hockey season. An interactive page where the ISS Top 31 can be viewed, sorted, commented on and where users can interact with our scouts, can be viewed at isshockey.com/iss-top-31

1 – Patrick , Nolan - C - Brandon - WHL 
2 – Hischier , Nico - C - Halifax - QMJHL 
3 – Vilardi, Gabe - C - Windsor - OHL 
4 – Tippett, Owen - RW - Mississauga - OHL 
5 – Mittelstadt, Casey - C – Green Bay - USHL 
6 – Liljegren , Timothy - RD - Rogle - SweJE 
7 – Glass, Cody - C- Portland - WHL 
8 – Rasmussen, Michael - C - Tri-City - WHL 
9 – Foote, Callan - RD - Kelowna - WHL 
10 – Necas, Martin - RW - Brno Kometa HC - CzeE 
11 – Valimaki, Juuso - LD - Tri-City - WHL 
12 – Kostin, Klim - C - Dynamo – KHL 
13 – Tolvanen, Eeli - LW – Sioux City – USHL 
14 – Hague, Nicolas - RD - Mississauga - OHL 
15 – Makar, Cale - RD - Brooks – AJHL 
16 – Pettersson, Elias - C - Timra - SweAl 
17 – Suzuki, Nick - C - Owen Sound - OHL 
18 – Lind, Kole - C - Kelowna - WHL 
19 – Poehling, Ryan - C - St. Cloud State - NCHC 
20 – Ratcliffe, Isaac - LW - Guelph – OHL 
21 – Norris, Joushua - C - USA U18 - NTDP 
22 – Yamamoto, Kailer - RW - Spokane - WHL 
23 – Bowers, Shane - C - Waterloo – USHL 
24 – Jokiharju, Henri - RD - Portland – WHL 
25 – Comtois, Maxime - LW - Victoriaville – QMJHL 
26 – Thomas, Robert - C - London – OHL 
27 – Anderson-Dolan, Jaret - C - Spokane – WHL 
28 – Timmins, Conor – RD – S.S. Marie – OHL 
29 – Andersson, Lias - LW - HV71 – SweJE 
30 – Vesalainen, Kristian - LW - V. Frolunda - SweE 
31 – Formenton, Alex – LW – London – OHL

Centermen take over the top three spots in the March Release of the ISS Top 31, as Gabe Vilardi (Windsor, OHL) moves into third behind Nolan Patrick (Brandon, WHL) and Nico Hishchier (Halifax, QMJHL), who carry ISS Hockey rankings of #1 and #2, respectively. 

Several other players at the center-ice position have climbed this month. Most notably, Cody Glass (Portland, WHL) has moved up seven spots into seventh and Nick Suzuki (Owen Sound, OHL) has jumped up into seventeenth. ISS Hockey Director of Scouting, Dennis MacInnis, continues to be impressed with the play of Glass.

“Glass is the type of player that makes his teammates around him better. Lots of offensive upside as he continues to put his elite hockey sense on display. There has also been a noticeable improvement in his defensive play.”

Looks like we are picking a center...6 of the top 8 players are center's.

I wouldn't mind trading down from a top 3-4 pick to # 6 and take Glass or Mittlestadt if we can get another 2nd rounder out of it.

• Upvote 2

Considering there are something like 6 to 10 players in the first round I would be totally happy with us taking, I think that whatever draft position we get a case could be made to just keep trading down as many times as feasible.

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Not sure if you guys saw this. I found it really interesting about Cody Glass. 

ISS Hockey has released its monthly rankings of the top prospects for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. This month's rankings include the top 150 skaters, along with the top 15 goaltenders, as evaluated and ranked by ISS Hockey's worldwide network of scouts. 

Below is the ISS Top 31, highlighting the rankings for the top 31 prospects, which is released the first Wednesday of every month during the hockey season. An interactive page where the ISS Top 31 can be viewed, sorted, commented on and where users can interact with our scouts, can be viewed at isshockey.com/iss-top-31

1 – Patrick , Nolan - C - Brandon - WHL 
2 – Hischier , Nico - C - Halifax - QMJHL 
3 – Vilardi, Gabe - C - Windsor - OHL 
4 – Tippett, Owen - RW - Mississauga - OHL 
5 – Mittelstadt, Casey - C – Green Bay - USHL 
6 – Liljegren , Timothy - RD - Rogle - SweJE 
7 – Glass, Cody - C- Portland - WHL 
8 – Rasmussen, Michael - C - Tri-City - WHL 
9 – Foote, Callan - RD - Kelowna - WHL 
10 – Necas, Martin - RW - Brno Kometa HC - CzeE 
11 – Valimaki, Juuso - LD - Tri-City - WHL 
12 – Kostin, Klim - C - Dynamo – KHL 
13 – Tolvanen, Eeli - LW – Sioux City – USHL 
14 – Hague, Nicolas - RD - Mississauga - OHL 
15 – Makar, Cale - RD - Brooks – AJHL 
16 – Pettersson, Elias - C - Timra - SweAl 
17 – Suzuki, Nick - C - Owen Sound - OHL 
18 – Lind, Kole - C - Kelowna - WHL 
19 – Poehling, Ryan - C - St. Cloud State - NCHC 
20 – Ratcliffe, Isaac - LW - Guelph – OHL 
21 – Norris, Joushua - C - USA U18 - NTDP 
22 – Yamamoto, Kailer - RW - Spokane - WHL 
23 – Bowers, Shane - C - Waterloo – USHL 
24 – Jokiharju, Henri - RD - Portland – WHL 
25 – Comtois, Maxime - LW - Victoriaville – QMJHL 
26 – Thomas, Robert - C - London – OHL 
27 – Anderson-Dolan, Jaret - C - Spokane – WHL 
28 – Timmins, Conor – RD – S.S. Marie – OHL 
29 – Andersson, Lias - LW - HV71 – SweJE 
30 – Vesalainen, Kristian - LW - V. Frolunda - SweE 
31 – Formenton, Alex – LW – London – OHL

Centermen take over the top three spots in the March Release of the ISS Top 31, as Gabe Vilardi (Windsor, OHL) moves into third behind Nolan Patrick (Brandon, WHL) and Nico Hishchier (Halifax, QMJHL), who carry ISS Hockey rankings of #1 and #2, respectively. 

Several other players at the center-ice position have climbed this month. Most notably, Cody Glass (Portland, WHL) has moved up seven spots into seventh and Nick Suzuki (Owen Sound, OHL) has jumped up into seventeenth. ISS Hockey Director of Scouting, Dennis MacInnis, continues to be impressed with the play of Glass.

“Glass is the type of player that makes his teammates around him better. Lots of offensive upside as he continues to put his elite hockey sense on display. There has also been a noticeable improvement in his defensive play.”

Cody Glass stock rising really fast isn't it.  Glass over the likes of Middlestadt or Vilardi?  The question about Glass, Middlestadt or Vilardi is who will gel best with Boeser/Goldobin & whomever plays LW on that top line or the 2nd line.  If Boeser/Goldobin get off those 1 timers without blinking then they need someone to find those seams like only Henrik Sedin can, (I know lofty expectations but hey he is still here for another year and whoever is drafted can watch game tape on how the Sedins thread the needle right), and any of the three should be available when the Canucks pick.  Glass stock is rising so fast, you never know, he might move up within the top 5 by the time the draft takes place.

9 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Just to clarify... IF the Vancouver Canucks win first overall for the first time in franchise history, 47 years of drafting, you honestly think the Canucks would even consider trading the pick?

Honestly I would think if JB doesn’t consider it that would be a huge fail on his part.  The GM’s job isn’t just about optics, it’s about improving the overall team.  This is one of the weakest (in terms of top end skill) drafts since 2012, everyone knows that.  If there were two generational talents, than not a chance the team does, but their is not guaranteed superstar and their is quality players through out the first 3 rounds, this is the perfect year to explore moving the pick.

Focusing just on the optics of drafting a “First overall” isn’t taking in all considerations.  Not exploring all paths isn’t smart business.  Take the oilers,  in 2012 there were a ton of rumours they had lined up for the first overall, even canucks were said to be in those rumours.  Instead they took the player, only for 5 years later to trade that player away for a 3rd round pick.

This is all hypothetical since we don’t know which team is picking where, but we could trade down end up with a very skilled player along with another top quality asset(s). 

Again hypothetical (and not too much thought put into)

1st overall to TB for thier 1st round pick (foote/Petterson/Glass/Suzuki) + TO 2nd round pick +  Raddysh

1st overall to PHI for their 1st round pick  (foote/Petterson/Glass/Suzuki) + Sanhiem + NYI 3rd round pick

1st overall to NJ for their 1st round pick  (mittelstadt/Vilardi/Necas) + NJ 2nd round pick

1st overall to DAL for their 1st round pick  (mittelstadt/Vilardi/Necas) + Nichuskin rights + TO second round pick

1st overall to NYI for their 1st round pick  (Foote/Petterson/Glass/Suzuki) + Strome/Dal Colle + Pick

The fact that Nico/Patrick isn’t a guaranteed superstar makes it all the more reason to explore.  No one will be shocked if 5+ years post draft Nico/Patrick aren’t the two best players to come out of the draft.  I’m not sold on them two (lots of people aren’t) and that’s why I personally would be very disappointed in our GM if he didn't explore the option of moving the pick

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Honestly I would think if JB doesn’t consider it that would be a huge fail on his part.  The GM’s job isn’t just about optics, it’s about improving the overall team.  This is one of the weakest (in terms of top end skill) drafts since 2012, everyone knows that.  If there were two generational talents, than not a chance the team does, but their is not guaranteed superstar and their is quality players through out the first 3 rounds, this is the perfect year to explore moving the pick.

Focusing just on the optics of drafting a “First overall” isn’t taking in all considerations.  Not exploring all paths isn’t smart business.  Take the oilers,  in 2012 there were a ton of rumours they had lined up for the first overall, even canucks were said to be in those rumours.  Instead they took the player, only for 5 years later to trade that player away for a 3rd round pick.

This is all hypothetical since we don’t know which team is picking where, but we could trade down end up with a very skilled player along with another top quality asset(s). 

1st overall to TB for thier 1st round pick (foote/Petterson/Glass/Suzuki) + TO 2nd round pick +  Raddysh

1st overall to PHI for their 1st round pick  (foote/Petterson/Glass/Suzuki) + Sanhiem + NYI 3rd round pick

1st overall to NJ for their 1st round pick  (mittelstadt/Vilardi/Necas) + NJ 2nd round pick

1st overall to DAL for their 1st round pick  (mittelstadt/Vilardi/Necas) + Nichuskin rights + TO second round pick

1st overall to NYI for their 1st round pick  (Foote/Petterson/Glass/Suzuki) + Strome/Dal Colle + Pick

The fact that Nico/Patrick isn’t a guaranteed superstar makes it all the more reason to explore.  No one will be shocked if 5+ years post draft Nico/Patrick aren’t the two best players to come out of the draft.  I’m not sold on them two (lots of people aren’t) and that’s why I personally would be very disappointed in our GM if he didn't explore the option of moving the pick

the only deals that i would be interested in there are: The tampa deal and the Dallas deal. I feel that would be pretty decent value, but saying that i still wouldnt do it. 

It sounds enticing and practical to "trade down" but it is also fraught with danger.  While from our perspective we might see a half-dozen desirable and interchangeable players, it is much more likely that JB (or any team) have one or two specific players targeted.  Thereby, you may trade yourself down past the one(s) you truly wanted and despite the other asset(s) gained be deprived of the main one.

The alternative is a trigger deal made pre-draft.  You take the player you would be happy with and the other team(s) really want at your assigned spot, then when it comes to their pick if the guy you really want is still on the board you trigger the trade.

• Upvote 1

Just now, KKnight said:

the only deals that i would be interested in there are: The tampa deal and the Dallas deal. I feel that would be pretty decent value, but saying that i still wouldnt do it. 

Yeah it's really hard to determine deal value right now when teams could move around with the lottery and who gets claimed in expansion draft.  Team needs will change quite a bit from not till draft day. 

27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It sounds enticing and practical to "trade down" but it is also fraught with danger.  While from our perspective we might see a half-dozen desirable and interchangeable players, it is much more likely that JB (or any team) have one or two specific players targeted.  Thereby, you may trade yourself down past the one(s) you truly wanted and despite the other asset(s) gained be deprived of the main one.

The alternative is a trigger deal made pre-draft.  You take the player you would be happy with and the other team(s) really want at your assigned spot, then when it comes to their pick if the guy you really want is still on the board you trigger the trade.

Trading down is risky,  the other alternative is you take a player you like higher than most would expect.  Which is also very risky.  Say JB really likes Mittle but has the first overall pick, does he just pick him at number 1?  Going to be very interesting in seeing what happens, can't wait for lottery night.

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Looks like we are picking a center...6 of the top 8 players are center's.

I wouldn't mind trading down from a top 3-4 pick to # 6 and take Glass or Mittlestadt if we can get another 2nd rounder out of it.

I think 5 would be as comfortable as i am to drop to still ensure we can get Glass or Mittlestadt

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If we pick in the top 4 and the #1 guy we want is Cody Glass I say pick him. 

Last year GM Jim Benning saw something in Oli Jolevi as a mature, smooth, patient, high character, intelligent defence man who skates and passes the puck really well and felt that he was what our team was missing and decided to take him. 

This year we are likely to pick in a spot where Cody Glass or Casey MIttelstadt are available. 

I prefer Glass. He has that certain something that makes a player great about him. Reminds me of Tyson Jost and Jonathan Toews. Extremely high character, intelligent, mature, hard working, great skating and on ice vision, and ability to make elite skill moves with the puck. With Boesser and Goldobin on his wings he would have a couple of lethal weapons. 

Goldobin Glass Boesser

Beartchi Horvat Granlund 

22 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Trading down is risky,  the other alternative is you take a player you like higher than most would expect.  Which is also very risky.  Say JB really likes Mittle but has the first overall pick, does he just pick him at number 1?  Going to be very interesting in seeing what happens, can't wait for lottery night.

I think one thing is for sure. If JB trades down, (which I can't see happening), and doesn't hit a home run, he will be as good as gone.

Management and fans alike will never forgive him...

Just now, spook007 said:

I think one thing is for sure. If JB trades down, (which I can't see happening), and doesn't hit a home run, he will be as good as gone.

Same can be said if he drafts 1st overall only too watch a 3rd or 4th overall become better.  He's in a hit a home run or be in trouble type situation already.. Not an easy job.  I have faith in his scouting ability that he will make the right call.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

If we pick in the top 4 and the #1 guy we want is Cody Glass I say pick him. 

Last year GM Jim Benning saw something in Oli Jolevi as a mature, smooth, patient, high character, intelligent defence man who skates and passes the puck really well and felt that he was what our team was missing and decided to take him. 

This year we are likely to pick in a spot where Cody Glass or Casey MIttelstadt are available. 

I prefer Glass. He has that certain something that makes a player great about him. Reminds me of Tyson Jost and Jonathan Toews. Extremely high character, intelligent, mature, hard working, great skating and on ice vision, and ability to make elite skill moves with the puck. With Boesser and Goldobin on his wings he would have a couple of lethal weapons. 

Goldobin Glass Boesser

Beartchi Horvat Granlund

But if we are picking 1st overall and Glass is the guy JB likes,

Does he draft Glass 1st overall or does he attempt to trade down to 4-8 spot and pick up an asset along the way, but risk another team picking glass before him.  Tough call 

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Wow those are some high expectations for JB to live up to!!  regardless if HR or not, I think JB will be just fine, the talent he has brought in after dealing with GMMGs mess has been awesome.  I think the owners and TL will see what he can do with this draft and he will surprise yet again.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But if we are picking 1st overall and Glass is the guy JB likes,

Does he draft Glass 1st overall or does he attempt to trade down to 4-8 spot and pick up an asset along the way, but risk another team picking glass before him.  Tough call 

I doubt he likes Glass over Patrick/Hischier.

He might very well like Glass (or Necas) at say 4/5 over the alternatives (Mittel, Vilardi, Lilj...) And he might even have those guys not far behind Patrick/Hischier but I'm pretty sure if we have a top 2 pick he's not going to take Glass, Necas (or whomever he likes 'next best'). 

You're right though that he could consider taking Glass/Necas + in exchange for that top 2 pick though. Going to depend a lot on what that + is though...

Like all years though, teams aren't likely to spend what it would cost to make sense to move it. Too much risk for both GM's. But yes, he'd be stupid not to see what he could get.