The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Hutton is awesome. He is a great team guy who everybody likes. He is a core guy now who is growing and getting better with the team.  Tanev would be perfect for a trade. Maybe Sbisa next year if Juolevi is ready. 

Edler Stetcher

Hutton Tyramkin

Sbisa Gudbranson 

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think the only reason Huttons name is being thrown around is because he is expansion draft exempt which adds a lot of value to his name. If we could find a team that has a lot of players to protect we could trade Hutton (added value because of this) for a young forward that needs to be protected. I'm thinking names like Sam Bennett from Calgary and Tyler Johnson from Tampa. 

Hutton + for Sam Bennett? That would be a big plus on our end but as long as it isn't our 1st round pick or Virtanen/Boeser/Juolevi/Demko I'd do it. But then if we did that then we would be losing one of Baertschi/Granlund/Sutter to expansion.

Getting back to the entry draft, what are your guys' thoughts on Miro Heiskanen? Grant McCagg (former scout who worked with The Hockey News and McKeen's and now has his own scouting service Recrutes) has Heiskanen as a top 5 prospect and the second-best defenseman in the draft.

Grant McCagg's scouting service Recrutes' take on Miro Heiskanen:

No other defenceman combines smarts, poise and mobility in such a complete package. There is little to dislike about his potential other than lack of size. He is a viable candidate to be a top-two NHL defenceman who can play any role. Tough to beat one-on-one thanks to his elite agility and quickness…a natural, smooth skater.

Oct. 15, 2016 – May be the best skater in the draft. He could be a top-ten guy. 

Jan 4, 2017 – Great feet. He’s the real deal. Very poised, smart…has some offensive upside too. Knows how to find lanes, good passer on the power play but they have him paired with the wrong guy in Saarijarvi instead of Valimaki…who can shoot. He should have had lots of assists at the World Juniors.

Mar. 27, 2017 – Great skater, thinks the game very well, He transitions the puck better than anyone in the draft, thinks quick and executes well. He defends well, he’s got good gap control. He’s a better skater than Juolevi and can execute quicker than Juolevi. Reminds me some of Duncan Keith.

Apr. 5 2017 – just a good two-way dman..he’s got the great wheels so he can log a lot of minutes, skating is not taxing on him. He’s one of those guys. I’d like to see a little more offence but he might have it…because he’s got the skill and the vision…he can make plays…I think it’s just about getting into a role on a team where he could develop into more of an offensive type of guy. I certainly like his two-way game. He’s good in his own zone…He’s pretty good defensively, good tick, gets his body involved. When he get the puck he can move it out. He’s got that good stick, he can stay with guys. He’s not shy or timid.

Makar vs. Heiskanen – I don’t know. Makar is so dynamic in one area of the game. but you don’t know about the defence. Heiskanen is good in both areas..maybe not as dynamic but . you can try to hit a home run or a double. For me going with Heiskanen that’s the the safest way to go…You’re not wrong…but it definitely wouldn’t shock me to see the other guy go ahead.

https://recrutes.ca/profile/miro-heiskanen/

I personally don't think he's a top-5 prospect or even top-10 prospect, but that's only because I've been focusing so much on the likes of Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Necas, Liljegren, Tippett, Makar, Glass, Pettersson as top-10 fixtures. Not a lot of exposure on Heiskanen. Anyone else have insight on him?

Edited by Blömqvist

4 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I personally don't think he's a top-5 prospect or even top-10 prospect, but that's only because I've been focusing so much on the likes of Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Necas, Liljegren, Tippett, Makar, Glass, Pettersson as top-10 fixtures. Not a lot of exposure on Heiskanen. Anyone else have insight on him?

He's number one dman in the draft for me. Still only 17 and he battles hard against men, not afraid of physicality and is the instigater a lot of times. Smooth skater. Handles forecheck with poise. Knows when to jump up and when to stay back; isn't always trying to force plays like Liljegren. Safe pick with lots of upside.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

He's number one dman in the draft for me. Still only 17 and he battles hard against men, not afraid of physicality and is the instigater a lot of times. Smooth skater. Handles forecheck with poise. Knows when to jump up and when to stay back; isn't always trying to force plays like Liljegren. Safe pick with lots of upside.

Honestly, I haven't heard much about Heiskanen other than when he was playing more minutes than Juolevi at the WJC. Could he be a potential powerplay quarterback at the NHL level?

30 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

20 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

He sounds very interesting. Do you guys have any more information on him? Has anyone watched him play or anything?

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He sounds very interesting. Do you guys have any more information on him? Has anyone watched him play or anything?

I haven't watched him play but I've seen a few highlights and read a few things on HFboards (although don't go there for Canucks stuff lol). He's a left shot defenseman that plays on the right side. As a 17 year old he plays over 20 minutes a game against men in the Finland's Liiga.

I found this just now, although I don't know how credible it is. It looks as if they are game notes from Finnish scouts.

• 2017-04-08 at Tappara - HIFK, Liiga semifinal by Miika Arponen

Heiskanen played 22.34 – the most of all HIFK players – in their 3-2 win against Tappara. He played in all situations: 5 vs 5, power play and shorthanded and was quite simply the best HIFK player on the ice.

Heiskanen seems to always make the right decisions and positions himself very well in all situations. He is not very physical nor does he lay hard hits but his gap control and use of his stick are very impressive. He also constantly outskates the opponent.

The defender can also make offensive plays. He sees the ice very well and can identify when to give breaking pass, bring the puck up with skating or cycle back when the road seems to be blocked. He makes himself constantly playable in the offensive zone and can deliver the puck to the net through traffic.

• 2016-12-29 at Finland - Sweden, WJC by Asko Huuki

Heiskanen once again showed that he is a great skater and he was able to show flashes of his offensive skills even though the game was played at the small rink. However his weaknesses were also evident and the defender was occasionally in trouble at the own end, especially at the boards and in front of goal. This part of his game should improve greatly when he fills up his frame. Heiskanen should be a key player during the next World Junior Championships if his game continues to develop at the current speed.

• 2016-10-01 at HIFK - Tappara, Liiga by Asko Huuki

Despite the loss, Heiskanen once again played a good game in HIFK’s Liiga team. He is already one of the fastest players on ice and even though he needs to fill up his frame and improve his defensive awareness, he does well at the own end due to his impressive skating. His skating, puck-moving skills and good vision makes him really inquiring prospect for the 2017 draft.

• 2016-09-17 at HIFK - JYP, Liiga by Marco Bombino

The 17-year-old defenseman played a very strong game for HIFK. His passes were consistently accurate, crisp and easy to receive. His skating was really fluid, he’s extremely agile on his skates and can stop and start quickly. Decision making was impressive and he made a couple of nice plays with his stick defensively.

• 2016-08-13 at Ilves - HIFK by Miika Arponen

Heiskanen played his first game with HIFK’s men’s team and was put straight to the first pairing. He handled the duty very well and didn’t look at all out of place against grown-up pros. He played a bit cautiously but didn’t make any mistakes either. He also quarter-backed HIFK’s power play nicely, although it didn’t show on the scoresheet this time.

https://finnprospects.com/player/miro-heiskanen/

Three different scouts all say the same thing: Impressive skating, impressive decision making, good vision and puck-moving skills.

30 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I haven't watched him play but I've seen a few highlights and read a few things on HFboards (although don't go there for Canucks stuff lol). He's a left shot defenseman that plays on the right side. As a 17 year old he plays over 20 minutes a game against men in the Finland's Liiga.

I found this just now, although I don't know how credible it is. It looks as if they are game notes from Finnish scouts.

Sounds similar to our very own Juolevi. Do you know if he's playing in the top men's league or in the second tier?

He is an interesting prospect. Will be a solid NHL player similar to Juolevi in my opinion. Not a flashy player and probably won't quarterback a power play but he has sound positioning, great skater, good first passer, good hockey IQ. 

I think at this point we need a quarterback power play puck mover. Maybe we can pick someone up with a Tanev trade. 

Pick Casy Mittelstadt in the draft and trade Tanev and Dorsett for Dante Fabro and a conditional 3rd. 

Edited by kenhodgejr

9 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

He is an interesting prospect. Will be a solid NHL player similar to Juolevi in my opinion. Not a flashy player and probably won't quarterback a power play but he has sound positioning, great skater, good first passer, good hockey IQ. 

I think at this point we need a quarterback power play puck mover. Maybe we can pick someone up with a Tanev trade. 

Pick Casy Mittelstadt in the draft and trade Tanev and Dorsett for Dante Fabro and a conditional 3rd. 

haha no one would want dorsett. That trade has a better chance of happening without him. And it still won't happen.

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

So you think he's over rated but you also think he could be the centre peice to acquiring a high draft pick?  

Correct.  He's an NHL defensmen that has some great qualities.  His mobility for instance. But I don't like his defensive awareness, nor do I think he has the skill to be overly productive.    I see him as a #4 D.  I don't think he's trash or anything but I do think he's overrated, which is exactly why it's a good time to deal him imo.    He's been out played by stecher and tryamkin this year, and I'm guessing juolevi won't be far behind on the list of players to pass him on the depth chart.  Vancouver shouldn't be any worse for ware  without him. 

Id rather move elder as well, I just don't think he will waive nor do I think he'll be able to fetch another young asset. 

Tanev may be dangled but I think the price will be too high for other teams.  

52 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've seen 3 Liiga games and the world juniors. This guy is an all situation dman. There's no second-guessing in his game or holding on to the puck too long like a lot of the other younger offensive dmen (basically, he passes my Sbisa test). People underrate his offensive upside because he is defensively sound. He'll jump up when they have numbers going their way or slide into the slot/ deep in faceoff circles on the powerplay. He's a really good passer as well. Defensively, he's got an active stick and just exudes a lot of confidence. Doesn't take $&!# from no one and fights hard against forwards who like to play in front of goalie. Unlike Cal Foote, he is actually doing this with purpose rather than just wrestling with the guys. His skating is smooth and allows him to handle the forecheck really well. His shot is quick and hard as well. There is no real weakness in his game except maybe his size but that hasn't been an issue so far. Overall, I think he's a guy who can be your number 4 dman at the minimum but has the upside to become much more. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

I've seen 3 Liiga games and the world juniors. This guy is an all situation dman. There's no second-guessing in his game or holding on to the puck too long like a lot of the other younger offensive dmen (basically, he passes my Sbisa test). People underrate his offensive upside because he is defensively sound. He'll jump up when they have numbers going their way or slide into the slot/ deep in faceoff circles on the powerplay. He's a really good passer as well. Defensively, he's got an active stick and just exudes a lot of confidence. Doesn't take $&!# from no one and fights hard against forwards who like to play in front of goalie. Unlike Cal Foote, he is actually doing this with purpose rather than just wrestling with the guys. His skating is smooth and allows him to handle the forecheck really well. His shot is quick and hard as well. There is no real weakness in his game except maybe his size but that hasn't been an issue so far. Overall, I think he's a guy who can be your number 4 dman at the minimum but has the upside to become much more. 

Sounds like he's a really good prospect. I have absolutely zero preference after 5th/6th, so he could fit in in that area. I do like the fact that he's a defenseman, especially one that plays the right side. 

8 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I do think we will be targeting high offensive potential prospects for the next drafts.

People have said that Hutton's name is being thrown around, but I hope we trade one of Edler or Tanev before him. Hutton just found his new playing weight and I think he will put it all together next year. 

8 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Hutton's a young top four d-man.  Why would you trade him + for a draft pick?  Those guys are nice looking prospects but...... 

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

I think Hutton is overrated.  That's why. 

I know we have to give something to get something, and even though Hutton played with an abnormal amount of maturity his first year I don't think we've seen his ceiling yet. Even if he tops out as a top 4 I still don't see the reasoning behind moving him before he shows what he really has to offer. Even if he tops put at say, a Tanev type, I'd still rather keep him since he's younger and able to grow with the team. One of Tanev or Edler should be moved, perhaps even both of them. 

A little insight into Nolans injuryIMG_2754.thumb.JPG.d4a010a893303636823fbebd589b2981.JPG

Sports Hernia (Athletic Pubalgia)

A sports hernia is a painful, soft tissue injury that occurs in the groin area. It most often occurs during sports that require sudden changes of direction or intense twisting movements.

Although a sports hernia may lead to a traditional, abdominal hernia, it is a different injury. A sports hernia is a strain or tear of any soft tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament) in the lower abdomen or groin area.

Because different tissues may be affected and a traditional hernia may not exist, the medical community prefers the term "athletic pubalgia" to refer to this type of injury. The general public and media are more familiar with "sports hernia," however, and this term will be used for the remainder of this article.

Anatomy

The soft tissues most frequently affected by sports hernia are the oblique muscles in the lower abdomen. Especially vulnerable are the tendons that attach the oblique muscles to the pubic bone. In many cases of sports hernia, the tendons that attach the thigh muscles to the pubic bone (adductors) are also stretched or torn.

A00573F01.jpg
Sports hernias often occur where the abdominals and adductors attach at the pubic bone. Traditional hernias occur in the inguinal canal.

Cause

Sports activities that involve planting the feet and twisting with maximum exertion can cause a tear in the soft tissue of the lower abdomen or groin.

Sports hernias occur mainly in vigorous sports such as ice hockey, soccer, wrestling, and football.

Symptoms

A sports hernia will usually cause severe pain in the groin area at the time of the injury. The pain typically gets better with rest, but comes back when you return to sports activity, especially with twisting movements.

A sports hernia does not cause a visible bulge in the groin, like the more common, inguinal hernia does. Over time, a sports hernia may lead to an inguinal hernia, and abdominal organs may press against the weakened soft tissues to form a visible bulge.

Without treatment, this injury can result in chronic, disabling pain that prevents you from resuming sports activities.

Doctor Examination

During your first appointment, your doctor will talk to you about your symptoms and how the injury occurred. If you have a sports hernia, when your doctor does a physical examination, he or she will likely find tenderness in the groin or above the pubis. Although a sports hernia may be associated with a traditional, inguinal hernia, in most cases, no hernia can be found by the doctor during a physical examination.

Tests

Physical Tests

To help determine whether you have a sports hernia, your doctor will likely ask you to do a sit-up or flex your trunk against resistance. If you have a sports hernia, these tests will be painful.

Imaging Tests

After your doctor completes a thorough exam, he or she may order xrays or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans to help determine whether you have a sports hernia. Occasionally, bone scans or other tests are recommended to rule out other possible causes of the pain.

Treatment

Nonsurgical Treatment

Rest. In the first 7 to10 days after the injury, treatment with rest and ice can be helpful. If you have a bulge in the groin, compression or a wrap may help relieve painful symptoms.

Physical therapy. Two weeks after your injury, you may begin to do physical therapy exercises to improve strength and flexibility in your abdominal and inner thigh muscles.

Anti-inflammatory medications. Your doctor may recommend non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (ibuprofen or naproxen) to reduce swelling and pain. If your symptoms persist over a prolonged period, your doctor may suggest a cortisone injection, which is a very effective steroid anti-inflammatory medicine.

In many cases, 4 to 6 weeks of physical therapy will resolve any pain and allow an athlete to return to sports. If, however, the pain comes back when you resume sports activities, you may need to consider surgery to repair the torn tissues.

Surgical Treatment

Surgical procedure. Surgery to repair the torn tissues in the groin can be done as a traditional, open procedure with one long incision, or as an endoscopic procedure. In an endoscopy, the surgeon makes smaller skin incisions and uses a small camera, called an endoscope, to see inside the abdomen.

The end results of traditional and endoscopic procedures are the same.

Some cases of sports hernia require cutting of a small nerve in the groin (inguinal nerve) during the surgery to relieve the patient's pain. This procedure is called an inquinal neurectomy.

Your doctor will discuss the surgical procedures that best meets your needs.

Surgical rehabilitation. Your doctor will develop a rehabilitation plan to help you regain strength and endurance. Most athletes are able to return to sports 6 to 12 weeks after surgery.

Surgical outcomes. More than 90% of patients who go through nonsurgical treatment and then surgery are able to return to sports activity. In some patients the tissues will tear again during sports and the surgical repair will need to be repeated.

Additional surgery. In some cases of sports hernia, pain in the inner thigh continues after surgery. An additional surgery, called adductor tenotomy, may be recommended to address this pain. In this procedure, the tendon that attaches the inner thigh muscles to the pubis is cut. The tendon will heal at a greater length, releasing tension and giving the patient a greater range of motion.

For a late round pick in the draft I wouldn't mind going after Montana Onyebuchi. Not only does he have a sick hockey name but the kid has heart! He likes to fight and relishes the physical side of the game. 

Montana Onyebuchi

Defense -- shoots R
Born Mar 8 2000 -- Dugald, MAN 
[17 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 205 [188 cm/93 kg]

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

For a late round pick in the draft I wouldn't mind going after Montana Onyebuchi. Not only does he have a sick hockey name but the kid has heart! He likes to fight and relishes the physical side of the game. 

Montana Onyebuchi

Defense -- shoots R
Born Mar 8 2000 -- Dugald, MAN 
[17 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 205 [188 cm/93 kg]

he's a 2018 draft eligible player so can't draft him this year

• Upvote 1