The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I skimmed thru this very briefly so kinda another Horvat? 

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

yes

Not really. Glass is more of a set-up guy, with excellent vision and passing abilities. Horvat is more a force of will and determination. 

4 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Thats basically my list too. I'd probably even put Petterson in there before Valardi though. With Petterson height if he fills out he could be an excellent top line center.

I do not have faith that he will fill out and I don't think I have ever seen a guy in the NHL with a build as slender as Petterson. His height is also deceiving given that he has like 6 inches of neck. To me it doesn't look like "teenage growth skinny" either but a true Scandinavian skinny. It might be possible though, but I would still expect him to be thrown to the ice easily like what happens to Sutter all the time.

Edited by HomeBrew

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Before the season started, there was some thought that Swedish defenceman Timothy Liljegren could challenge for the first overall spot in the 2017 NHL Draft. Things have not quite gone as planned. After a strong Ivan Hlinka tournament, where he put up four points in five games, Liljegren was diagnosed with mononucleosis before his domestic campaign could begin. When he did return, he was eased back into the Rogle lineup, even spending some time with their J20 team. He also spent some time on loan to Timra in the Allvenskan. Overall he has bounced around quite a bit this year.  That said, the skills he possesses still make him the best defenceman in this draft class. In other years he might have fallen farther, but with this relatively weak draft class, we still have Liljegren ranked fourth overall due to the upside that he possesses.  Liljegren is far and away the best defenceman in this class, a clear notch above the next group.

Timothy Liljegren Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft #4

Defense — shoots Right
Born Apr 30 1999 — Kristianstad, Sweden
Height 6’0″ — Weight 192 lbs [180 cm / 87 kg]

Skating

Liljegren is an elite skater. He moves well both forwards and backwards, with excellent speed and acceleration. He also has very good edge work and pivots. As such he can cover a ton of ice. Liljegren can make offensive plays rushing the puck, or pinching in at the blue line; but still has the speed to get back defensively. He also has good balance and lower body strength. This helps him to win his battles along the boards and in front of the net. When carrying the puck, he is tough to knock off of it.

Offensive Game

Liljegren has the poise and smarts to quarterback a power play. He has excellent vision, and makes good passes to set things up at the line. Liljegren finds the open man and makes tape-to-tape passes through tight areas. He can also make the long breakout pass to hit a teammate streaking through the neutral zone. Liljegren is a very good stick handler. He can move the puck out of danger, and avoid fore checkers when starting the transition game. He also has the ability to make plays leading the rush or to join the rush as a trailer. Liljegren’s has high hockey IQ, as he makes almost always makes the smart play with the puck.

Liljegren also has an excellent shot. His slapshot has great power, and the has the ability to get it through traffic and on net. He can really hammer a laser when he is given a good pass for a one-timer. He also can vary things up with a quick release and accurate wrist shot. Liljegren usually keeps his shot low, looking for teammates to get deflections and rebounds.

Defensive Game

Liljegren’s defensive game is very advanced for an 18-year-old, however there is still plenty of room to improve. He uses his strong skating ability and quick feet to contain his opponent and maintains good gap control. His stick is quick and he can create turnovers through poking a puck away from an opponent or through intercepting a pass. Liljegren could stand to be a bit more physical though. He’s He already has decent muscle mass, but could add a little more.

Projection and Comparison

After a rough season, Liljegren will need some development time. It is unlikely that he will be ready to step into the NHL immediately. There is real upside here though, and Liljegren could become a top pair NHL defenceman if he continues to improve his game. In terms of a stylistic (but not talent based) comparison, he resembles Oliver Ekman-Larsson of the Arizona Coyotes.

If we drop outside of picking Hischier and Patrick, my money is on this guy being who we draft. $10 says our scouts were scouting him when Dahlen caught their attention and we traded for him, so....

1 hour ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Those 2 sound good but I'd be more than thrilled to land  6'3'' 200+ pound'r  Gabriel Vilardi. 

Yeah he reminds of Draisaitl in his draft year; best puck control and so hard to contain his size but skating could be better.  

I think Vilardi will be an absolute force next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, funkyfresh said:

Yeah he reminds of Draisaitl in his draft year; best puck control and so hard to contain his size but skating could be better.  

I think Vilardi will be an absolute force next year.

We need this guy. The only knock on him is he plays a lot of right wing instead of centre. Next year he could be converted back to centre though. Him and Horvat down the middle would be tough to handle. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

If we drop outside of picking Hischier and Patrick, my money is on this guy being who we draft. $10 says our scouts were scouting him when Dahlen caught their attention and we traded for him, so....

May depend upon if Benning is able to move a dman for a good young forward by then first.  The 2018 draft projects to have more dmen at the top of the order in a stronger year, so this may be the year to take a forward.

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Before the season started, there was some thought that Swedish defenceman Timothy Liljegren could challenge for the first overall spot in the 2017 NHL Draft. Things have not quite gone as planned. After a strong Ivan Hlinka tournament, where he put up four points in five games, Liljegren was diagnosed with mononucleosis before his domestic campaign could begin. When he did return, he was eased back into the Rogle lineup, even spending some time with their J20 team. He also spent some time on loan to Timra in the Allvenskan. Overall he has bounced around quite a bit this year.  That said, the skills he possesses still make him the best defenceman in this draft class. In other years he might have fallen farther, but with this relatively weak draft class, we still have Liljegren ranked fourth overall due to the upside that he possesses.  Liljegren is far and away the best defenceman in this class, a clear notch above the next group.

Timothy Liljegren Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft #4

Defense — shoots Right
Born Apr 30 1999 — Kristianstad, Sweden
Height 6’0″ — Weight 192 lbs [180 cm / 87 kg]

Skating

Liljegren is an elite skater. He moves well both forwards and backwards, with excellent speed and acceleration. He also has very good edge work and pivots. As such he can cover a ton of ice. Liljegren can make offensive plays rushing the puck, or pinching in at the blue line; but still has the speed to get back defensively. He also has good balance and lower body strength. This helps him to win his battles along the boards and in front of the net. When carrying the puck, he is tough to knock off of it.

Offensive Game

Liljegren has the poise and smarts to quarterback a power play. He has excellent vision, and makes good passes to set things up at the line. Liljegren finds the open man and makes tape-to-tape passes through tight areas. He can also make the long breakout pass to hit a teammate streaking through the neutral zone. Liljegren is a very good stick handler. He can move the puck out of danger, and avoid fore checkers when starting the transition game. He also has the ability to make plays leading the rush or to join the rush as a trailer. Liljegren’s has high hockey IQ, as he makes almost always makes the smart play with the puck.

Liljegren also has an excellent shot. His slapshot has great power, and the has the ability to get it through traffic and on net. He can really hammer a laser when he is given a good pass for a one-timer. He also can vary things up with a quick release and accurate wrist shot. Liljegren usually keeps his shot low, looking for teammates to get deflections and rebounds.

Defensive Game

Liljegren’s defensive game is very advanced for an 18-year-old, however there is still plenty of room to improve. He uses his strong skating ability and quick feet to contain his opponent and maintains good gap control. His stick is quick and he can create turnovers through poking a puck away from an opponent or through intercepting a pass. Liljegren could stand to be a bit more physical though. He’s He already has decent muscle mass, but could add a little more.

After a rough season, Liljegren will need some development time. It is unlikely that he will be ready to step into the NHL immediately. There is real upside here though, and Liljegren could become a top pair NHL defenceman if he continues to improve his game. In terms of a stylistic (but not talent based) comparison, he resembles Oliver Ekman-Larsson of the Arizona Coyotes.

I like this kid.  be nice to have Nico, Lilegren, or Mittlestat. I would be happy if nolan fell to us too.  but I really hope we draft skill. those 3 scream skill too me.  Mittlestat can out deke guys in a phone booth. ::D

glad we will get a very good player in this draft. only player I really would rather not having is vilardi.  (just my personal preference)

6 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Big strong scorer with the captaincy at 17? Nah Benning would not pass on Patrick. 

I would like him but I would prefer Nico.

Jim would probably draft patrick over Nico tho :(

hopefully not lol

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

May depend upon if Benning is able to move a dman for a good young forward by then first.  The 2018 draft projects to have more dmen at the top of the order in a stronger year, so this may be the year to take a forward.

Oh I honestly think it's time to pick a forward for sure. Just seeing things line up like that though and how our scouting dept is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is our pick this year. It's like expecting Tkachuk's name to be called and then Benning saying "Olli Juolevi."

4 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Oh I honestly think it's time to pick a forward for sure. Just seeing things line up like that though and how our scouting dept is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is our pick this year. It's like expecting Tkachuk's name to be called and then Benning saying "Olli Juolevi."

I agree...  If we get a top two pick.

I think therell be some wheeling and dealing to come by draft day.   We very well may have two 2nds and Hutton on the block in order to get another first round prospect.

I could see us leaving the draft with both Liljegren and one of Pettersson/Necas.  I think Buffalo will be an ideal partner if they lose out on the lottery.  Theyre looking like theyll pick between 8 and 12, and have LHD as their top need.  While there are a couple options in Valimaki and Hague whom should be a few years out, they could have a mobile young Ben Hutton start in their top 4 next season.  Id say thered be some level interest on their end.

12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Elias Pettersson is playing in the Allvenskan, and has had a tremendous year with 19 goals and 41 points in 43 games for Timra IK. Petterson added six points in three playoff games, but it was not enough to help Timra advance to the SHL next season. He was also very good at the 2016 Under 18s with eight points in seven games, and looked good at World Junior tryout camps, making the Swedish team. During the tournament itself, he was much more dangerous than his statline of just one assist in six games shows.

His brother, Emil Pettersson, was drafted by the Nashville Predators in the sixth round of the 2013 NHL draft, and is playing in the SHL.

Elias Pettersson Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft #8

Center/Right Wing — shoots Left
Born Nov 12 1998 — Sundsvall, Sweden
Height 6’2″ — Weight 161 lbs [188 cm / 73 kg]

Skating

Pettersson is a good skater. His top end speed and acceleration are both very good, but there is still room to improve as well. The best part of his skating though is his agility and edge work. Pettersson can stop and cut on a dime, and make a number of moves that can help him to get past a defender. His balance and power leave something to be desired, though that is likely due to his slender frame. If he can add lower body strength, he would be better on the boards, and at fighting through checks.

Offensive Game

Pettersson has a very good frame, but really needs to bulk up. He has very good offensive instincts and makes smart plays with the puck. His hockey IQ is his biggest weapon, as it seems that Pettersson almost always makes the right play with the puck on his stick. Pettersson is very good at give-and-go type plays, dishing the puck and then skating to open ice. He shows off his intelligence by spotting the open areas of the ice, and getting himself open to make plays.

His stick handling and puck possession are also extremely good, and he can create plays off the rush or in the offensive zone. He can make plays with the puck while moving at top speed. He also controls the puck well down low, but this is an area where the added bulk will really be needed before he moves to the next level. Pettersson shows a very good work ethic. He is tenacious in puck pursuit, and with his forechecking, despite his slender fram. Pettersson is also extremely hard to stop if he gets a defenceman one-on-one. He also has excellent vision and passing skills. To top it off, he has a strong and accurate wrist shot and quick release.

Defensive Game

Pettersson’s work ethic extends to all three zones. He continues his relentless pursuit of the puck into the neutral and defensive zones. He brings excellent back pressure and supports the defence down low. Pettersson has very good hockey IQ, and is rarely caught out of position. At the international level, he has been used on the penalty kill, showing a willingness to block shots as well.

While Pettersson is a very good player, he is not yet close to being NHL ready. He needs to pack on serious muscle to his slender frame and continue to work on his top end speed and acceleration. There are a number of very good tools here though, and Pettersson has the potential to become a top line centre in the NHL. However, it may be more realistic to see him top out as a very good second liner. Petterson’s style is reminiscent of Henrik Zetterberg, but this is not a talent comparision.

Someone somewhere was speaking of Petterson and had serious concerns about his ability to put on weight, something about his brother being almost identical in height a few inches older but only hovering around 160 pounds.

Hearsay and 2nd hand info from a 2nd hand but if that's true it would be worrisome in regards to him capably being able to put on any weight and being in our division, I am not a size hound entirely but a guy who would never top out over 180 pounds at that height would be sincerely scary

12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Cody Glass has been one of the biggest risers on our NHL draft board. Ranked outside the first round to start the year; to top 20 in November; to top 10 in February; and finally 6th overall in this ranking. He has been the key offensive catalyst for the Portland Winterhawks this season, and shown off the type of offensive talent that just can not be denied.

Glass picked up 27 points in 65 games as a WHL Rookie, and while a lot more was expected of him this year, he has exceeded all expectations. While he played very limited minutes last year, he has been given a lot more responsibility on this year’s team. Glass has thrived, with 32 goals and 94 points in 69 games. He has added six points in five playoff games as Portland has taken a surprising 3-2 series lead on the Prince George Cougars.

Cody Glass Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft #6

Center — shoots Right
Born Apr 1 1999 — Winnipeg, Manitoba
Height 6’2″ — Weight 179 lbs [188 cm / 81 kg]

Skating

Cody Glass is a decent skater. Once he gets going, he shows very good speed. He could stand to work on his first step and his acceleration though. There is a bit of a short and jerky quality to his starts and it robs him of some quickness. If he can improve this area he will be even more dangerous. Glass has good agility and edge work, which helps him to be very elusive in the offensive zone. His balance and strength are also decent, but could be improved with more lower-body strength.

Offensive Game

Glass has good hands, with the ability to stick handle in tight spaces and make moves one-on-one. He protects the puck extremely well down low, extending plays and keeping possession. He shields the puck well, using his body to keep defenders away, while also having the good balance to fight through checks. Glass is good in board battles, and could be even better as he adds some muscle to his frame. He also has the passing skills and vision to make his linemates better and put up points. Glass is an creative play maker, finding a way to get the puck to a teammate, even when there doesn’t appear to be much of a lane to do so.

He also has a decent wrist shot and good release. Glass’ quick hands help him to finish plays in tight to the net. What really sets him apart offensively though is his hockey IQ.  He is almost always in the right spot or making the correct play with the puck.  He puts the puck into good areas, allowing a teammate to get it and make a play. Glass then finds an opening, and looks for a soft spot in the defense to get open for a return pass.

Defensive Game

Glass shows a very strong two-way game.  His hockey IQ translates to the defensive end of the ice, where he shows good positioning and excellent anticipation. A strong and active stick creates turnovers, which he quickly translates into offence. He also is willing to block shots. Glass can kill penalties, as well as being strong in the face-off circle.

Glass could grow to be a top line centre if everything goes well. However, it is more likely that he becomes a top notch second line centre, with an excellent two-way game. The ability to provide offence, while also playing against other team’s top lines, and killing penalties is something that is always valuable and in high demand in the NHL. In terms of a stylistic, but not talent, comparison, Glass’ game reminds one of Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins.

Glass looked really good in last nights loss ot Kelowna, adding a goal and not a defensive liability but barely managed to get out and away from Cal Foote who was an absolute beast on the blue line even if he didn't manage any points.

Kelowna absolutely took it to Portland though, if this is indicative of the rest of the games I don't see Portland playing past game 5

Glass did look really really good no question.  I'd be ok with this pick but again, he's 2 maybe 3 years from NHL play.

Callan Foote looks like the absolute quintessential safe bet for this draft.  Man is he something else, whoever drafts him will get 10-15 years of steady blue liner

His brother Nolan was possibly the fastest guy on the ice last night too if anyone is wondering and will be a top 10 pick in 2019 IMO

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Glass looked really good in last nights loss ot Kelowna, adding a goal and not a defensive liability but barely managed to get out and away from Cal Foote who was an absolute beast on the blue line even if he didn't manage any points.

Kelowna absolutely took it to Portland though, if this is indicative of the rest of the games I don't see Portland playing past game 5

Glass did look really really good no question.  I'd be ok with this pick but again, he's 2 maybe 3 years from NHL play.

Callan Foote looks like the absolute quintessential safe bet for this draft.  Man is he something else, whoever drafts him will get 10-15 years of steady blue liner

His brother Nolan was possibly the fastest guy on the ice last night too if anyone is wondering and will be a top 10 pick in 2019 IMO

You keep selling me on foote. I'm really leaning toward trading down or trying really hard to pick up another pick in the 10-14 range. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You keep selling me on foote. I'm really leaning toward trading down or trying really hard to pick up another pick in the 10-14 range. 

It's REALLY hard to pin down who he reminds me of.  His dad was a more dynamic shooter.  But he seems more defensively sound and more likely to use his frame.  Every time I watch him play he makes it look effortless.  He shadows players so well, he uses his stick not his hands keeping penalties low and he can pass the puck pretty well.  Plus when it gets chippy he gets chippier

He helped shut down the high offense Winterhawks last night and his blue line core kept the shots down under 30 while the Rockets dumped over 50 on the poor hawks last night.  Like it wasn't even close.

He took 1 dumb penalty last night but man...if there's a way we could get him I'd be jumping up and down.  He sincerely looks like a less pugilistic more offensive minded Gudbranson honestly.

Maybe Hutton and the CBJ 2nd gets us in to the 12-18 range depending who is there to get him.  but the teams picking 10-18 all need a guy like him so...

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's REALLY hard to pin down who he reminds me of.  His dad was a more dynamic shooter.  But he seems more defensively sound and more likely to use his frame.  Every time I watch him play he makes it look effortless.  He shadows players so well, he uses his stick not his hands keeping penalties low and he can pass the puck pretty well.  Plus when it gets chippy he gets chippier

He helped shut down the high offense Winterhawks last night and his blue line core kept the shots down under 30 while the Rockets dumped over 50 on the poor hawks last night.  Like it wasn't even close.

He took 1 dumb penalty last night but man...if there's a way we could get him I'd be jumping up and down.  He sincerely looks like a less pugilistic more offensive minded Gudbranson honestly.

Maybe Hutton and the CBJ 2nd gets us in to the 12-18 range depending who is there to get him.  but the teams picking 10-18 all need a guy like him so...

Im so down to do Hutton + CBJ 2nd for that #10. Hell i'd even do Hutton + OUR 2nd.