The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

It was a pretty well orchestrated tank job in my opinion. We had highs and lows this season, but tanked intentionally at the absolute perfect time to get a guaranteed top 5 pick but also to see what potential we have in the young guys. 

We basically now have a rock-paper-scissors chance of getting a top 3 pick, 4th or 5th. 

Consensus Top 5 picks are basically as follows based on various scouting reports (source):

1. Nolan Patrick

2. Nico Hischier

3. Timothy Liljegren (average rank of 5.25)

4. Gabe Vilardi (average rank of 5.4)

5. Casey Mittelstadt (average rank of 5.75) 

Other notable players ranked at least once in the top 5:

• Martin Necas
  • Cale Makar
  • Owen Tippett
  • Elias Petterson
  • Michael Rasmussen
  • Eeli Tolvanen
  • Klim Kostin

Basically for the Top 5 the picks between 3-5 are more or less of equal value according to consensus. I am personally perfectly happy to select any one of them and I think a case could be made to take Liljegren, Vilardi or Mittelstadt at 3. Even though Liljegren has lost a lot of hype as the year progressed, I think people have come around on him again and still hold him in high regard. Outside of the consensus Top 5, I am mostly intrigued by Martin Necas. One player that I hope falls out of the first round is Klim Kostin. He has been ranked as low as 30 and as high as 3rd - very high boom or bust prospect. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

Depending where we end up, still think we need that centre this year. Don't know enough about Hischier. Have wanted Patrick or Vilardi all along, but whoever we end up out of the 3, I'm going to be excited. Patrick is probably the only one who may step in next season the way our roster sits. Know very little about Mittelstadt, except that a lot of fans here are high on him. Bit worried about the hype when he spent most of the year back in high school. Whichever way the lotto balls fall and JB decides to go, I'm hopeful that we are able to fix our centre problem going forward once Henrik is gone. 

JB will have some very good choices in the top 5 for sure and will certainly end up with a valuable prospect.

Looking forward, the Canuck's opposition is looking loaded with highly skilled offence, so I'm leaning towards Liljegren.   In a 2/3yrs this team could have one of the best overall d in the league and certainly the most balanced. 

Slowing the opposition down and limiting their shots on goal will be the only way you beat them.  JB still continues to build the top 6, but I really can't see players like McDavid, Matthews, Laine, McKinnon, etc. coming along anytime soon.

Having a blend of mobility and toughness on the back end can shut down opposition as well as support the forwards in the O-zone.  Acquiring forwards in the Horvat mold (character, responsible defensively, can score goals,etc), along with a couple of snipers; is the only way the Canucks will compete with the best clubs.

With Canucks luck I'll be happy with #1-4 picks. If we slide to 5th I'll be really annoyed. Is Liljgren playing in the under 18s this year? I like Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi or Mittelstadt, but if all those guy are gone and we pick 5th I'm stumped. Liljgren, Glass, Necas all seem decent I guess....

With last nights defeat and finishing in 29th spot the worst we could end up drafting is 5th overall.

I personally would take these guys in this order depending on our position

1.) Hischier, to much about Patrick's compete level, defensive play have come to light in the last little while, could be Virtanen 2.0

2.) Vilardi, almost a full year younger than Patrick with much the same up side

3.) Mittlestadt, mainly because I'm not sold on Patrick as the best choice for our team

4.) Liljgren, RH shot D, PP QB, could be number 1 D, need I say more

5.) Patrick, only at 5th OA would I take him if the 4 above are gone

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I wanna see Jimbo package Tanev with something and get Arizona's 1st rounder.  Draft a high ceiling forward and Liljegren.  We wouldn't have to worry about our defense for awhile..

I mean, I don't really think I want that to happen but it would be exciting

Honestly, at this point in the rebuild, I wouldn't terribly mind seeing both of Edler/Tanev moved. Edler to TBL? Tanev to ARZ?

Imagine if we could come out of the draft with one of the top forwards from our pickl, Liljegren with the ARZ pick and say Foote or one of the 'secondary' top forwards like Glass, Suzuki etc.

Can't wait until the lotto to see where the teams fall....

Edited by J.R.

My Top 5

Hischier

Vilardi

Patrick

Mittelstadt

Rasmussen

Nice to know we'll end up with one of them (probably), unless JB decides to draft a D again with the 1st. Hope not, it's kind of bitter sweet, seeing these other teams draft top 6 scorers already contributing, while our underweight 1st overall last year is playing in the OHL.

I am excited with Boeser and Goldobin. Those guys are goal scorers. 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Patrick - Eriksson

Daniel - Henrik - Granlund

Boucher - Sutter - Virtanen

Dorsett

Gaunce

Anyone have a stylistic comparison of an NHL player for Nico Hischier? His point total in the Q seems very good given the support he has. I believe the 3rd highest point total on Halifax is 41, with Maxime Fortier 1st at 87 points in 68 games, while Nico slots in at 2nd with 86 points in 57 games. I've seen people saying he will top out as a 60-point player; does anyone who has watched him have any insights on him?

Craig Button has Come out with the Post-Season Mock draft earlier today, some intersting choices, but I hold his opinion highly, it just seems he's right more often than he's wrong.

He's got it like this. 

1. Nolan Patrick 

2. Nico Hischier

3. Cody Glass

4. Timothy Liljegran

5. Gabe Villardi

6. Cale Makar

7. Elias Petterson

8. Martin Necas

9. Casey Middlestadt

10. Owen Tippett

22 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Craig Button has Come out with the Post-Season Mock draft earlier today, some intersting choices, but I hold his opinion highly, it just seems he's right more often than he's wrong.

He's got it like this. 

1. Nolan Patrick 

2. Nico Hischier

3. Cody Glass

4. Timothy Liljegran

5. Gabe Villardi

6. Cale Makar

7. Elias Petterson

8. Martin Necas

9. Casey Middlestadt

10. Owen Tippett

Cody Glass could end up like a Ryjo or Scheifele pick. Kid's stock has been rising like crazy.

34 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

He's got it like this. 

1. Nolan Patrick 

2. Nico Hischier

3. Cody Glass

4. Timothy Liljegran

5. Gabe Villardi

6. Cale Makar

7. Elias Petterson

8. Martin Necas

9. Casey Middlestadt

10. Owen Tippett

I am not seeing this anywhere, do you have a link? I would be surprised by some of these changes such as Own Tippett who on March 21st Button had pegged at 20 and Martin Necas falling from 3 despite an impressive playoff performance since then. 

• Upvote 1