The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Jack Studnicka

7114.jpg

Great name should be enough but he's one of the smarter guys in the OHL. Right-hand shot and above 50% on faceoff draws also. He's a hard worker and has been really good in the playoffs for Oshawa so far. Needs to get better at taking passes and getting the puck off quicker but I think he would be a good pick in third/fourth round.

Some highligihts:

5 hours ago, Kaner said:

I hate to break it to ya, but we're never going to be a competitive team if Granlund and Baerstchi are permanent staples in our top 6.

This was Granlund's first full NHL year, and Baertschi's second.  We won't know their ceilings for another couple years but they're already showing to be 20-goal players.  Granlund's brother took several years to suddenly break out this season.  Worst-case they look solid middle-six, and place-holders while our draftees develop.

• Upvote 2

Semi Unpopular opinion but I like Liljigren more than anyone ranked in the top 10. Just the idea of him and Juolevi anchoring our D for the foreseeable future is extremely appealing to me. I hope we trade down to grab him if we land 1/2. He won't be an immediate impact guy which will surely draw detractors when some of the forwards that will be inevitably taken after him start producing but in the long run, much like OJ last year is the best long term move especially if we fall to 3-5.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shcott said:

who do you guys like for the second round? we have the 33rd overall pick locked up. First dibs on first round talents that fall

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Some of the players I like around 33 are Brannstrom, Lind, Strome, Popugayev, and Timmins.

A guy that might go late in the first round is London Knights forward Robert Thomas. If we could get him at #33 I would be ecstatic.

Jake Oettinger looks to be like a bluechip goalie prospect. He put up really good numbers as the starting goaltender in his freshman year in the NCAA.

I'm really wondering where Owen Sound forward Jonah Gadjovic would go. He plays with Nick Suzuki and was tearing up the OHL with 46 goals and 74 points in 60 games. He's a big body that plays a hard-nosed physical game, can agitate opponents, and is a legitimate scoring threat too. According to Eliteprospects he is a "positionally sound" player and "reads plays well." Could be a good middle 6 winger with size or more down the line.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Shcott said:

who do you guys like for the second round? we have the 33rd overall pick locked up. First dibs on first round talents that fall

Would be happy with any of these guys

Forwards:

• Jaret Anderson-Dolan
  • Marcus Davidsson
  • Alexei Lipanov

Defensemen

• Luke Martin
  • Henri Jokiharju
  • Erik Brannstrom 

Now we own 29th overall, we proved pundits wrong by not finishing last. Owning 2nd overall odds, I feel confident we can win the lotto if not stay out at 2. Having Vegas and Yotes owning 3rd overall odds, one of the two will probably drop while other will stay out. Enough said, we own Hischier right now. Even we drop, we have a shot of grabbing Pettersson who has some nice chemistry with our very own Dahlen and I project to be a solid 2 way centre if he can add some weight. Great IQ, shooting intincts and passing ability. Sees the game well and he will be a fine centre in the NHL. Hischier is what this team desperately needs though. Great with the puck, good playmaker like Pettersson. Has a nice release and he would our franchise centre behind Bo once Hank calls quits. Vilardi, Middlestadt, Liljegren, Tippett are also good options. No matter what, we are going to come away with a good player. Hope Benning makes it count with this pick as it will likely be one of highest ever picks in franchise history

My top 5 remains unchanged as the last time I posted my list

Patrick

Hischier

Vilardi

Liljegren

Pettersson

imo this is how Benning's list looks like as of rn. No guarantees but going out on the limb. Not getting one of these and I'd say that would be pretty disappointing. 

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

A guy that might go late in the first round is London Knights forward Robert Thomas. If we could get him at #33 I would be ecstatic.

Jake Oettinger looks to be like a bluechip goalie prospect. He put up really good numbers as the starting goaltender in his freshman year in the NCAA.

I'm really wondering where Owen Sound forward Jonah Gadjovic would go. He plays with Nick Suzuki and was tearing up the OHL with 46 goals and 74 points in 60 games. He's a big body that plays a hard-nosed physical game, can agitate opponents, and is a legitimate scoring threat too. According to Eliteprospects he is a "positionally sound" player and "reads plays well." Could be a good middle 6 winger with size or more down the line.

While I do like Oettinger I can't see how the team could spend a top pick on a goaltender. We have so many holes in other positions and where Oettinger should be drafted you could make a case for probably 3-5 guys being BPA so from there it's preference of position. I know the importance of having goaltending at all levels but Demko's name alone makes me think every goalie the Canucks draft from now on should be a Hail Mary 5th round or later.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

While I do like Oettinger I can't see how the team could spend a top pick on a goaltender. We have so many holes in other positions and where Oettinger should be drafted you could make a case for probably 3-5 guys being BPA so from there it's preference of position. I know the importance of having goaltending at all levels but Demko's name alone makes me think every goalie the Canucks draft from now on should be a Hail Mary 5th round or later.

The only way i think we should pick Oettinger or a goalie high. Is if the Sharks win the cup, we get their 1st. Columbus gives us their second and he drops to that pick. That enables us to get two highly rated forwards in the first and most likely one dman with our second and a stud goalie with Columbus pick. Unlikely to happen, but Oettinger looks to be a very good prospect to have in your organization for depth.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Now we own 29th overall, we proved pundits wrong by not finishing last. Owning 2nd overall odds, I feel confident we can win the lotto if not stay out at 2. Having Vegas and Yotes owning 3rd overall odds, one of the two will probably drop while other will stay out. Enough said, we own Hischier right now. Even we drop, we have a shot of grabbing Pettersson who has some nice chemistry with our very own Dahlen and I project to be a solid 2 way centre if he can add some weight. Great IQ, shooting intincts and passing ability. Sees the game well and he will be a fine centre in the NHL. Hischier is what this team desperately needs though. Great with the puck, good playmaker like Pettersson. Has a nice release and he would our franchise centre behind Bo once Hank calls quits. Vilardi, Middlestadt, Liljegren, Tippett are also good options. No matter what, we are going to come away with a good player. Hope Benning makes it count with this pick as it will likely be one of highest ever picks in franchise history

Patrick

Hischier

Vilardi

Liljegren

Pettersson

imo this is how Benning's list looks like as of rn. No guarantees but going out on the limb. Not getting one of these and I'd say that would be pretty disappointing. 

I think Mittelstadt is likely in Benning's top 5.

• Upvote 2

My top 5. 

1.Patrick

2.Hischier

3/4. Middlestadt or Necas (wouldnt be opposed to either)

5. Liljegren

If we get the Sharks pick (wishful thinking) my 5 selections (no preference) around that area. 

1.Norris

2. Olivier-Joseph

3. Anderson-Dolan

4. Lias Andersson if he drops. 

5. Thomas

Our second rnd pick

One of the remainders. 

Columbus pick: 

1.Oettinger (if he drops)

2. Lipanov

3. Jokiharju

from this point i dont know too much about most players.

30 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Patrick

Hischier

Vilardi

Liljegren

Pettersson

I think Benning has Necas pretty high as well. Even above Vilardi and Petterson. Something like Patrick, Nico, Liljegren, Necas, Vilardi

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think Mittelstadt is likely in Benning's top 5.

Yeah. I'd have him in my top 5 as well but Vilardi's performances vs London were solid and he sees the ice very well. He's great at protecting the puck along the boards as well. I believe he's one of youngest players entering the draft and I wouldn't mind picking up a player like him. Can play W/C. I'm really high on this kid and if we don't pick him, a team will be very happy to have picked him up. If we pick 1 or 2, I call this season of tank to be a success. Patrick and Hischier are gold mines and will immediately bring more fans in to fill the seats

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Canucks tanked by accident? Uhhh no. It was pretty obvious what they were doing.

And Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Give me a break. Patrick plays nothing like Nugent-Hopkins.

In ur opinion whats Patricks ceiling and do you think he's NHL ready? Oh and are injuries a factor if your picking 1st overall

IMO, Hischier is the best fit. He is surprisingly good at killing penalties and his coach trusts him with final minute plays. Indicates that he is at worst, above average already for elite forward's defensive capabilities. 
And his elite forward offensive capabilities are pretty normal trajectory for a 1C. Fast, crazy hands, slick passing, good shot. But IMO, Hischier is gonna go #1, so i am pretty sure we'd have to win the draft lottery to draft Hischier. 

Patrick is the safest bet, in terms of translating his play to a medium-high end 1C (his offensive abilities do not impress me as much. He is a more developed player but hoister is clearly the better pure goalscorer/playmaker combo) but his injury cases are a concern. Some articles say he may not even go in top 3.

38 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I think injuries should play a factor if there isn't a huge gap between #1 and #2.  Ceiling for Patrick;  Eric Staal?  I think he could play on our team next year. Let him center a line with Granlund and Eriksson 

Yeah. Shades of Eric Staal in Patrick. very well put. But Hischier has shades of Modano in him. Very fast and very good hands.