The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

27 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I could see us taking Hischier in the 2 hole, he's to tantalizing to pass up but I don't see us drafting Necas. If we miss out on the top 2 we will be taking Vilardi, Mittelstadt or Glass.

Pretty sure if you take a guy in the 2 hole you could go to jail.  better get permission first

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Not interested in selling our assets for multiple picks in this draft, if possible I'd rather gather more picks for 2018 and stick with our only first rounder this year. 

Agreed. If you're looking for that added mid first round pick, pray SJ wins and use #31 and #33 as bait, otherwise, like you've mentioned, focus on next years draft. 

18 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Not interested in selling our assets for multiple picks in this draft, if possible I'd rather gather more picks for 2018 and stick with our only first rounder this year. 

The 3-25'ish of this draft are actually very deep/good players. It's only the top 2 that are actually 'sub par' as they aren't 'generational', just merely 'very good'.

Given that if we'd selling assets for picks next year and we wouldn't be expecting a top 3-5  pick back, you're looking more at that 5-20 range that THIS draft may actually be as deep, if not deeper.

You also likely ensure a top pick at next year's better top end draft.

Might want to think on that ;)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

So let's say we lose out on the lottery and land either the 3rd, 4th, or 5th pick.  Would you be willing to package a deal to trade up to #1 for Hischier?

Hischier is no slam dunk prospect and the price would be crazy just because that precedent is set to a high price. Can't remember the last time a team traded down in the top 3. I want to say 2003 was the last time it's happened. I'd rather just keep the haul it would cost and take Liljigren or Mittelstadt!

Just now, J.R. said:

The 3-25'ish of this draft are actually very deep/good players. It's only the top 2 that are actually 'sub par' as they aren't 'generational', just merely 'very good'.

Given that if we'd selling assets for picks next year and we wouldn't be expecting a top 3-5  pick back, you're looking more at that 5-20 range that THIS draft may actually be as deep, if not deeper.

To add to this benning frequently goes with off the board picks. If he plans to do so again why not get an asset along with the player he was going to theaters anyway. Let's not forget he had Boeser like 12 ish on his list.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

To add to this benning frequently goes with off the board picks. If he plans to do so again why not get an asset along with the player he was going to theaters anyway. Let's not forget he had Boeser like 12 ish on his list.

Frequently? Examples?

Look how horribly that turned out :lol:

For fun, I decided to watch a bit of video of who they say are the top 5 picks this year. Canucks will pick no lower than 5th. I put my $0.02 next to each player.

1. Nolan Patrick (C) - 6' 3" 198     20-26=46 pts in 33 games (Brandon WHL) *played injured for a lot of the season

Top level skill. Hard, accurate shot, picks corners. Has speed, handles the puck well, patient. Will drop the gloves if needed (and does well). Good awareness, good playmaker (passing).

2. Nico Hischier (C/RW) - 6' 0 174     38-48=86 pts in 57 games (Halifax QMJHL)

Good awareness. Has speed, goes to the front of the net, plays determined, patient.

3. Gabriel Vilardi (C) - 6' 2" 193     29-32=61 pts in 49 games (Windsor OHL)

Great shot, long stick reach, good playmaker (passing), deadly in front, likes to shoot, protects the puck well.

4. Timothy Liljegren (RHD) - 5' 11" 192     1-5=6 pts in 24 games (Sweden)

Speed, good skater, great wrister from the point, jumps up into the play like a 4th forward. Sometimes hangs on to the puck too long, tries to do it himself. Doesn't play physical.

5. Casey Mittelstadt (C) - 6' 1" 201     13-17=30 pts in 24 games (Green Bay USHL)

Smart player, knows where to be on the ice, great shot, quick release. Skilled with the puck, goes to the net.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Frequently? Examples?

Look how horribly that turned out :lol:

Not saying it turned out bad at all.

Off the top of my head he's drafted 

Juolevi (a spot or 2)

Tryamkin 

Lockwood

All higher than they were ranked. As we all know he would have drafted Boeser much higher than anyone ranked him. And for good reason apparently.  It's not crazy to think that he goes a little off the board if we aren't picking top 2.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Juolevi (a spot or 2)

Tryamkin 

Lockwood

All higher than they were ranked. As we all know he would have drafted Boeser much higher than anyone ranked him. And for good reason apparently.  It's not crazy to think that he goes a little off the board if we aren't picking top 2.

Juolevi was not off the board.

By the late second/early third, there isn't really an 'on the board'.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Can't even agree with you...

:lol:

Sorry but that's not off the board. Numerous scouts may have ranked MT 1 or 2 spots ahead of OJ but most of them would put them in the same tier (along with PLD, Keller, Nylander, Sergachev and Jost). And numerous scouts made statements to the effect that OJ could easily go 5th depending on team assessment.

Picking say Bean or McAvoy etc would be considered 'off the board' and even those would likely turn out ok.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No iv thought about it a bit, still sticking with my original comment. It's all opinions anyways, I wouldn't be upset adding another first but I still believe patience would pay off. 

41 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Juolevi (a spot or 2)

Tryamkin 

Lockwood

Ask Boston in 2015 how going off the board worked out :lol:

48 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There has been some interesting studies, albeit in football, about how GM's undervalue future picks. In most cases if the trade is for a 2017 1st round pick, you can get a 1st round pick + something else if you are willing to wait until 2018. It has nothing to do with strength of draft year but more a human desire for immediate gratification.

I wouldn't do it with our top 5 pick, that would be madness, and also with us picking at the top of the round in every round it is unlikely a good idea this year but if were were more middle of the pack would you trade, say, a 2nd rounder this year for a 2nd and 4th next year?

Think of it in the terms of trading down. If somebody want to trade up to our 33rd pick, depending how far back they are it could be their 2nd and 4th this year... or it could be their 2nd this year and their 3rd next. Just a thought experiment.

It seems to me like Liljegren is only ranked high because everyone keeps hoping these smooth skating Swedish defensemen are the next Karlsson.

There is only one Karlsson, and the odds are Liljegren won't even come close to touching his ceiling.

No thanks to drafting a D-man that high again unless they're a lock to be a top pairing guy.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

There has been some interesting studies, albeit in football, about how GM's undervalue future picks. In most cases if the trade is for a 2017 1st round pick, you can get a 1st round pick + something else if you are willing to wait until 2018. It has nothing to do with strength of draft year but more a human desire for immediate gratification.

I wouldn't do it with our top 5 pick, that would be madness, and also with us picking at the top of the round in every round it is unlikely a good idea this year but if were were more middle of the pack would you trade, say, a 2nd rounder this year for a 2nd and 4th next year?

Think of it in the terms of trading down. If somebody want to trade up to our 33rd pick, depending how far back they are it could be their 2nd and 4th this year... or it could be their 2nd this year and their 3rd next. Just a thought experiment.

If we could get a good prospect and a 2018 1st for Edler/Tanev vs just a 2017 1st, of course you look at that. That wasn't really the argument though.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It seems to me like Liljegren is only ranked high because everyone keeps hoping these smooth skating Swedish defensemen are the next Karlsson.

There is only one Karlsson, and the odds are Liljegren won't even come close to touching his ceiling.

No thanks to drafting a D-man that high again unless they're a lock to be a top pairing guy.

Yeah I rather have Foote. Liljgren seems like a risky pick.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, cyoung said:

No iv thought about it a bit, still sticking with my original comment. It's all opinions anyways, I wouldn't be upset adding another first but I still believe patience would pay off. 

Not sure that qualifies as rational but everyone's entitled to an opinion :)