The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

3 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Everyone likes to talk about Bennings ability to draft but he's been disastrous in the 1st round to say the least. His only real good pick has been Boeser so far. In comparison to Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann, we could have had William Nylander and David Pastrnak. Instead of Olli Juolevi we could have had Matthew Tkachuk. Instead of a not very likely 1C in this draft we could've picked Heiskanen or Valimaki and an outside shot at a steal in the 33rd spot. If I were Benning, I would trade Tanev to a team we know will be bad next year and draft Heiskanen in this draft. Forwards will be stronger next year and having two picks in the top 15 is worth more next year than this year.

You won't get anyones firsts next year. This years draft was considered somewhat weak and thats why its happening but I doubt anyone trades their First in 2018.

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

You won't get anyones firsts next year. This years draft was considered somewhat weak and thats why its happening but I doubt anyone trades their First in 2018.

After McPhee strips most teams of a quality defensemen Tanev is going to be a commodity on draft day. A competent GM would be able to swing a first round pick next year, an outstanding GM would be able to swing a second this year and first next year.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Not according to general scouting consensus reports.  I wouldn't touch Makar in the top 5. Only 2 of the 13 top end reports have him in the top 10. 

Ever year we’ve had a top pick it’s been team need instead of taking BPA.

2014 took Virtanen because they felt the team needed size.  Meanwhile Nylander was ranked high on 10 of 13 top end reports and they went with team need.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

2016 took Juolevi because they wanted a young D.  Meanwhile Tkachuk was ranked high on all 13 of 13 top ranking reports and they went with team need.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

Are they bad picks? No, but they aren't necessarily maximizing the asset.  We'd almost be better off just going with the general consensus on BPA than factoring in our team needs. 

Imagine, in the hypothetical scenario, that we drop to #5 this year and take the BPA regardless of team need. And imagine if we had done that in 2014 and 2016 as well. With Benning talking about a top 5 including playmaking centers and a powerplay defenseman it looks like Heiskanen/Liljegren/Makar might be in that #5 spot.

2014: Nylander

2015: Boeser

2016: Tkachuk

2017: Heiskanen/Liljegren

Anyways, not making it about what we should've done in previous drafts, but moving forward Benning should take the BPA for his 1st round pick. I am really looking forward to this draft as we will either get a speedy playmaking centre (Hischier/Mittelstadt), a powerful playmaking centre (Patrick/Vilardi/Glass), or a top flight defenseman who can quarterback a powerplay (Heiskanen/Liljegren). Coincidentally, both the playmaking centre ice man and powerplay defenseman are team needs so I don't think Benning can go wrong with his selection as long as he picks the best player available. There are still games to be played for some prospects as well as the draft combine and interviews for Benning and Co. to rank them. Even then, in a few years from now we can still trade from a position of strength to a position of weakness, like how Columbus and Nashville traded Johansen for Jones.

To be honest, I'd be happy with any one of:

1. Patrick

1. Hischier

3. Vilardi

4. Glass

5. Heiskanen

5. Mittelstadt

5. Liljegren

We could have a power combo of Patrick/Vilardi/Glass & Horvat down the middle. Or we could have an offense that can attack with speed and skill or with power with a combo of Hischier/Mittelstadt & Horvat. Or we could have an elite defense and puck-movement galore on the back-end with Juolevi and Heiskanen/Liljegren leading the charge. It's exciting times to be a Canucks fan but even more if we added another top10 pick lol

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Imagine, in the hypothetical scenario, that we drop to #5 this year and take the BPA regardless of team need. And imagine if we had done that in 2014 and 2016 as well. With Benning talking about a top 5 including playmaking centers and a powerplay defenseman it looks like Heiskanen/Liljegren/Makar might be in that #5 spot.

2014: Nylander

2015: Boeser

2016: Tkachuk

2017: Heiskanen/Liljegren

Anyways, not making it about what we should've done in previous drafts, but moving forward Benning should take the BPA for his 1st round pick. I am really looking forward to this draft as we will either get a speedy playmaking centre (Hischier/Mittelstadt), a powerful playmaking centre (Patrick/Vilardi/Glass), or a top flight defenseman who can quarterback a powerplay (Heiskanen/Liljegren). Coincidentally, both the playmaking centre ice man and powerplay defenseman are team needs so I don't think Benning can go wrong with his selection as long as he picks the best player available. There are still games to be played for some prospects as well as the draft combine and interviews for Benning and Co. to rank them. Even then, in a few years from now we can still trade from a position of strength to a position of weakness, like how Columbus and Nashville traded Johansen for Jones.

To be honest, I'd be happy with any one of:

1. Patrick

1. Hischier

3. Vilardi

4. Glass

5. Heiskanen

5. Mittelstadt

5. Liljegren

We could have a power combo of Patrick/Vilardi/Glass & Horvat down the middle. Or we could have an offense that can attack with speed and skill or with power with a combo of Hischier/Mittelstadt & Horvat. Or we could have an elite defense and puck-movement galore on the back-end with Juolevi and Heiskanen/Liljegren leading the charge. It's exciting times to be a Canucks fan but even more if we added another top10 pick lol

If you draft BPA, Glass definitely isn't in the top 5. Drafting him if Heiskanen and Mittlestadt are still available would be a humongous mistake.

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I would gladly trade for any 5-25 picks this year as I could get my hands on. The top end of this draft is 'weak' in that there's no Mathews/McDavid level players. The rest of the first (and even right through to the late 2nd/early 3rd) is overflowing with high quality prospects.

Next years prospects are better and the day after expansion is going to be our best chance to get another pick in the 1st round.

51 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Everyone likes to talk about Bennings ability to draft but he's been disastrous in the 1st round to say the least. His only real good pick has been Boeser so far. In comparison to Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann, we could have had William Nylander and David Pastrnak. Instead of Olli Juolevi we could have had Matthew Tkachuk. Instead of a not very likely 1C in this draft we could've picked Heiskanen or Valimaki and an outside shot at a steal in the 33rd spot. If I were Benning, I would trade Tanev to a team we know will be bad next year and draft Heiskanen in this draft. Forwards will be stronger next year and having two picks in the top 15 is worth more next year than this year. If we drop down to 4th and 5th in this lottery of course.

I'll be back to give you a - later. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Trade for Adam Lowry and their 1st (12th) with the Jets for Tanev and our 2nd (Columbus) (54th).

We get a 6'5" 210 lb big nasty forward who had a decent goal scoring season (15 goals) on the upswing and the 12th-13th overall pick then pick either a centre or D man based on our pick at 1-5?  Winnipeg gets a top pairing calm defensive defenceman in his prime that they desperately need and still a decent pick in the 2nd round.  Winnipeg doesn't need anymore scoring depth or big nasty players... they have a team full of them.  This trade is based on Winnipeg not winning the lottery.

I think it works for both teams.  We could trade our 2nd #33 pick instead of #54 I just think that is too much to give to move up to 12th?  Thoughts guys?  I think our forward group could use a Lowry type forward.

Sounds good but no way does Chevy trade away any picks let alone a 1st. He won't trade for Tanev when he has a 6'5 monster coming up thru his stable of prospects.

What Winnipeg needs is a netminder and a coach. Chevy says no even if Tanev's bro is playing there. Not sure he even trades Lowry.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you need to understand what consensus means.   When you have13 out of 13 sources that have a general agreement on who should be picked at a position, that is a consensus.

When Bob Mac interviews NHL scouts and out of 20, 10 say nico and 10 say nolan, then there is no consensus. 

Do you consider Bowers a top 5 pick?  Why not?

I see Bowers as this year's Brock Boeser pick. The guy that gets picked in the 20's, quietly goes to College and makes everyone wish they had him.

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

Everyone likes to talk about Bennings ability to draft but he's been disastrous in the 1st round to say the least. His only real good pick has been Boeser so far. In comparison to Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann, we could have had William Nylander and David Pastrnak. Instead of Olli Juolevi we could have had Matthew Tkachuk. Instead of a not very likely 1C in this draft we could've picked Heiskanen or Valimaki and an outside shot at a steal in the 33rd spot. If I were Benning, I would trade Tanev to a team we know will be bad next year and draft Heiskanen in this draft. Forwards will be stronger next year and having two picks in the top 15 is worth more next year than this year. If we drop down to 4th and 5th in this lottery of course.

Man, you had such a knowledgable and well out response to my Makar post. I truly believed you were a half

intelligent poster. Then you have to go and say something completely rubbish as this. How near sites are you my friend? I don't wanna go into this thoroughly because all of the topics you bring up have been beaten to death. I challenge you to look a little further than 1 year of development and the fact that a player such a Pastrnak was missed by many teams and in fact a diamond in the rough. You will constantly be in happy with yourself and the team if this is how you love be your life. 

• Upvote 2

For all those still whining about taking Juolevi over Tkachuk....will you just hike your panties up and just wait till the guy arrives and proves himself? Ya Tkachuk is the "right now" guy but by gosh, we drafted the best ranked D in the draft that just won WJC gold whIle being named tourney MVP and a Memorial Cup while being named best D there as well. Ya, the guy is gonna be a sure bust. Again....patience ppl. I can't wait till posters like Hitman eat crow and declare their sudden love fests for the guy when he finally does arrive.

That being said, I for one can't wait till this draft is over so we can finally quit the debate of "who to take". Ya we need a center, we need a pp qb.  One thing for sure is that we are going to get one of those positions filled.

If Benning steps up to the podium and selects Liljegren or Makar, I'm still doing cartwheels. Having a bona-fide right shot ppqb to go with Juolevi on the backend is going to be huge for us for the next 10 years. Makar has wheels, smarts and his current size reminds me of Neidermayer in his draft year. Oh but he plays AJHL so he must suck....gimme a break folks. Liljegren like Patrick has been in in the top 5 all year and as bad as his health was with mono, you still can't talk scouts out of ranking him out of that range so that too says alot. 

6' 190lb and can still grow another inch and add 5 lbs. If you pass this opportunity on these 2 kids, when do we get another?

Drafting a C is equally huge for us. Back when Canucks were so good, we had a 1-2-3 punch of Henrik-Kesler-Malhotra and we couldn't lose a faceoff.

Hank was the elite skilled guy. Kesler had the same but was the best 2 way A-hole that everyone hated playing against. He woke up every game day working himself up to shut down whatever top Center AV matched him with while Malhotra would win a faceoff and hog the puck for an entire penalty kill. Add speedy skilled wingers to those 3 and we ended up with 3 lines that gave opposing coaches fits all night.

Horvat along with either one of Patrick/Hischier/Glass could go a long way to reviving that but I doubt it because they still won't be Hank/A-hole/Faceoff ace

Remember when Henrik didn't actually become our true bona-fide #1 center til 8 years after he was drafted 3rd overall? Think on that while thrusting Horvat into that spot after only his 3rd year in this league.

Thus team has a longgggg way to go

Edited by missioncanucksfan
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Man, you had such a knowledgable and well out response to my Makar post. I truly believed you were a half

intelligent poster. Then you have to go and say something completely rubbish as this. How near sites are you my friend? I don't wanna go into this thoroughly because all of the topics you bring up have been beaten to death. I challenge you to look a little further than 1 year of development and the fact that a player such a Pastrnak was missed by many teams and in fact a diamond in the rough. You will constantly be in happy with yourself and the team if this is how you love be your life. 

Bud....you are never going to get thru and make sense to the guys that figure every player that gets drafted should instantly be in the league the next year and scoring 20 goals. 

I got into a twitter battle with some bloke the other day about hindsight picks...

"Oh we should've picked Pasternak over McCann..."

Told him he most likely didn't even know about Pasternak until this year.

You can't argue with those ppl....losing cause

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's true, but it's because we were focussed on team need.  D and C rather than just taking BPA.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

13 of 13 top scouting agency would have picked tkachuk ahead of Juolevi. It may not be wrong but it definitely wasn't the censensus said Vancouver should have did. 

And maybe the Canucks had Tkachuk rated lower than Juolevi regardless of position.  From the interviews they showed no real interest, likely because there were things about him or his game they didn't like nor saw a fit.

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Not a fan of Makar eh

I have him ahead of Heiskanen on my list. Too each his own. I just see a higher ceiling on Makar and has that "it" factor that not too many other players in this draft have. 

Makar is exciting to watch and has skill but he was playing against plugs.

I really like the idea of Mittlestadt as a LW. We would have a 1st line with seed skill and size.

-Trade Tanev and Beartchi for a mid 1st

-Take the best D available at 33

-Draft another center next year. 

Mittlestadt Horvat Boesser

Goldobin Granlund Vesalainen 

Edited by kenhodgejr

11 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I really like the idea of Mittlestadt as a LW. We would have a 1st line with seed skill and size.

-Trade Tanev and Beartchi for a mid 1st

-Take the best D available at 33

-Draft another center next year. 

Mittlestadt Horvat Boesser

Goldobin Granlund Valimaki 

Valimaki is a defenseman