The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

5 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

My rankings for the draft:

whobh0.png

Obviously I'm no scout, but with the boring hockey Canucks have been playing this year, I found myself watching a lot of junior hockey. Didn't include goalies because I don't know what to look for. 

If Canucks aren't picking top 2, I would be happy with anybody in the 2nd group. 

For the rest of the players, I think Canucks will have a chance to draft at least 3 of them with their 33rd pick, Columbus pick, and 64th pick. 

I will have to finalize my prediction before the draft too.  l love the way u did it. :D

4 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Please explain how Mittlestadt is better than Glass. Both have speed to burn. Both are roughly the same size. Glass' brother and dad are in the 6'5 area so there's hope that Cody catches up.

Cody is a true center whereas Casey is also a winger.

We have seen Glass 5v5 stats and are convinced he isn't just a pp guy but with developing he can be that guy too.

One thing I like to know is how both of them are on faceoffs.

I've seen the highlights of Mittlestadt and he scores with ease but they don't have a YouTube clip of Caseys fails so I don't know his weaknesses.

One thing I DO know is that Casey is almost an entire year older than Glass so it makes me wonder if he is somewhat of a big fish in a small pond when it comes to his high school stats and his USHL stats.

Regardless I'm truly ok with either of them as I think they are both the same but to suggest one is much superior to the other is just wrong.

I can see Green already having the entire playbook on Glass due to him being a Portland guy so much like Willie having a love for his Medicine Hat alumni, I can see Travis being the same.

The thing I like about Glass is that, basing off the story that his dad had to work two jobs for him to play hockey, he is in all likelihood a high-character player like Boeser. Character and drive go a long way in sports, and luckily enough Glass is also blessed with the skillset and size to be a high end offensive player.

Glass is 6'2" and may very well end up playing at 6'3" or 6'4" and 200+lbs. He skates well and plays with a constant motor. He has good vision and good playmaking skills and can find a way to score in any situation. Most notably, scouts like his high hockey IQ. 

A potential 6'3" or 6'4" 200+lb right-handed centre with that skillset and drive and character is worth a top-5 selection.

How he compares to Mittelstadt.. well for starters I think Mittelstadt has a much higher offensive ceiling. I see Mittelstadt as a playmaking winger with good size and skating who can put up around a point per game or more in his prime. Mittelstadt can be a creative playmaker on a line or he can be a goal scorer. That in itself is very valuable. IIRC I read somewhere that Mittelstadt gets a lot of points on the powerplay? I can't remember for sure though, so don't quote me on it.

Honestly, I think they are very close but I prefer Glass and give him a slight edge because of the potential for added size, being a right-handed centre, and him being able to score 5 on 5 on a consistent basis. I see Glass being a 60-80 point centreman, and Mittelstadt being a 70-80+ point winger. You can't go wrong with either one. 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-04-27 at 3:35 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Yup, according to TSN, half of the scouts now pick Nolan and the other half pick Nico. For as long as we pick top 2, it'll be pretty good. I actually think that there are potentially 3 D-men that could be top pairing D-men in the NHL: Heiskanen, Liljegren, and Makar.

Yea I have no idea about the d haven't seen makar play at all and he's playing in a league where I doubt the level of attack from the other teams forwards are much compared to the chl or other leagues so hard to tell. And Heiskanen has sky rocketed up the boards with his recent play so hard to judge! 

Just gots hope sns and believe in our scouts 

Edited by R3aL

19 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

The thing I like about Glass is that, basing off the story that his dad had to work two jobs for him to play hockey, he is in all likelihood a high-character player like Boeser. Character and drive go a long way in sports, and luckily enough Glass is also blessed with the skillset and size to be a high end offensive player.

Glass is 6'2" and may very well end up playing at 6'3" or 6'4" and 200+lbs. He skates well and plays with a constant motor. He has good vision and good playmaking skills and can find a way to score in any situation. Most notably, scouts like his high hockey IQ. 

A potential 6'3" or 6'4" 200+lb right-handed centre with that skillset and drive and character is worth a top-5 selection.

How he compares to Mittelstadt.. well for starters I think Mittelstadt has a much higher offensive ceiling. I see Mittelstadt as a playmaking winger with good size and skating who can put up around a point per game or more in his prime. Mittelstadt can be a creative playmaker on a line or he can be a goal scorer. That in itself is very valuable. IIRC I read somewhere that Mittelstadt gets a lot of points on the powerplay? I can't remember for sure though, so don't quote me on it.

Honestly, I think they are very close but I prefer Glass and give him a slight edge because of the potential for added size, being a right-handed centre, and him being able to score 5 on 5 on a consistent basis. I see Glass being a 60-80 point centreman, and Mittelstadt being a 70-80+ point winger. You can't go wrong with either one. 

Your synopsis of Glass is brilliant and I definitely see him as a high end centreman in the western conference.  Probably a Kopitar type player.  I would pick him 5th.  If we get any of these 5 centres I'd be happy.  I feel that JB has Mittlestadt ranked 3rd and plans to have him at centre and not the wing as Button suggests.

Nolan

Hischier

Mittlestadt

Vilardi

Glass

My best guess of JB's list?

Hischier

Nolan

Mittlestadt

Makar

Hesikanen

My guess is we lose the draft and pick 5th and draft Mittlestadt.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Datsyuk is a good comparable for Hischier. Hischier's skating makes him a different player. The hockey IQ Datsyuk has and the way he thinks the game is extremely rare and unique. I think a better comparable for Hischier is a Zetterberg with different physical traits. What Zetterberg has in strength, Hischier has in speed. Pretty much the modern day version of Zetterberg. He has that same quiet will and determination and the ability to beat players without making the crazy dangle. 

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I want  Patrick, Hirschier, Vilardi or Glass. 

So obviously #1 or #2 is ideal. #3 & #4 we are still getting a big skilled prospect.

At #5 Jim could do many things. Maybe Middlestadt is Jim's guy at #3, but man, hard to pass up on that size especially with our roster.

Edited by CoolCanucklehead

Here are some recent CHL top picks and their 5v5 draft year production mixed in with top picks from this year's draft class. 

5v5 goals per game:

McDavid        0.64

Tippett           0.52

Fabbri           0.50
Ehlers           0.49

D Strome      0.46

Dubois          0.45

Bennett         0.44

Virtanen        0.44

Yamamoto    0.43

Patrick          0.42  (0.40 last season)

Marner          0.41

Draisaitl        0.41

Hischier        0.39

Reinhart        0.37

Vilardi           0.35

Suzuki          0.34

Glass            0.29

Rasmussen  0.24

5v5 primary points per game:

McDavid      1.28

D Strome     0.94

Marner         0.87

Fabbri          0.86

Dubois         0.84

Draisaitl       0.81

Bennett        0.79

Ehlers          0.76

Yamamoto   0.74

Tippett         0.72

Hischier       0.70

Reinhart      0.70

Glass           0.68

Vilardi          0.65

Suzuki         0.62

Patrick         0.58  (0.72 previous season)

Virtanen       0.54

Rasmussen 0.30

Edited by baumerman77
  • Upvote 2

I saw Yamamoto play earlier in the season and the whole team runs through him. You could see the skill and how he generated the offense. He did a good job of creating time and space for himself within the zone with quick pivots and tight turns. I didn't think his numbers were THAT good, but it looks like the only way we'll be able to pick him up is if he falls to 33.