The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I am officially on the Elias Pettersson band wagon. 

We should take Cody Glass at 5

we make a Tanev trade with Buffalo for the 8th pick

We should draft Pettersson at 8

Setting up our center position for years to come. 

We take the best defence man with the 33rd pick

In that scenario I'd be happy to draft  Petterson at 8th overall. I just don't want him at 5. 

• Upvote 1

I am happy with either one of Glass, Peterson or Mittelstadt. I just want a C that can drive play offensively. 

I will be cautiously optimistic with Makar or Liljegren.

it doesn't seem like Vilardi is on JBs watch list or heiskanen for that matter as we have a similar player in Juolevi. 

3 hours ago, Seannnp said:

No matter who the Canucks pick, some fans are going to be disappointed. In the 420+ pages different players are hyped until someone comes and says something like "i am done with this team if they select x", and then on to the next one. 

I think any one of Vilardi, Glass, Makar, Heiskanen and Petterssen will be good picks at 5. The Canucks have professionals that have been watching these guys for years and scouting them. Sometimes a player busts. Thats hockey. 

If they took Liljegren over Vilardi I wouldn't be done with this team, just done with this management team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

:unsure:

If we pass on Vilardi for Pettersson it will be the reverse of passing on Nylander for Virtanen.

Taking the hard nosed player over the highly skilled player vs taking the highly skilled player over the hard nosed player.

DO NOT PASS ON VILARDI!

• Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

If we pass on Vilardi for Pettersson it will be the reverse of passing on Nylander for Virtanen.

Taking the hard nosed player over the highly skilled player vs taking the highly skilled player over the hard nosed player.

DO NOT PASS ON VILARDI!

Deniro, you and Forsberg are guys who get it. Petterson looks like a decent prospect but Vilardi looks like a sure fire 2nd liner at worst. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Deniro, you and Forsberg are guys who get it. Petterson looks like a decent prospect but Vilardi looks like a sure fire 2nd liner at worst. 

I would not mind Pettersson don't get me wrong, but only if Vilardi and their top D choice is gone.

We can't afford to pass on a player who looks like Horvat 2.0. Having two two-way centers like this is our key to competing in the Pacific.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I am happy with either one of Glass, Peterson or Mittelstadt. I just want a C that can drive play offensively. 

I will be cautiously optimistic with Makar or Liljegren.

it doesn't seem like Vilardi is on JBs watch list or heiskanen for that matter as we have a similar player in Juolevi. 

So JB doesn't want 2 of the top 5 players in the draft? If this is true we are in for a world of pain. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would not mind Pettersson don't get me wrong, but only if Vilardi and their top D choice is gone.

We can't afford to pass on a player who looks like Horvat 2.0. Having two two-way centers like this is our key to competing in the Pacific

We have some forwards on the team that could greatly benefit from a guy like Vilardi making space for them, and going to the dirty areas. He excels in areas where a lot of our forwards don't.  Petterson is smooth and skilled but doesn't look as gritty. Plus in a high pressure situation Vilardi dominated in the Memorial Cup against some high end talent. Petterson was pretty invisible in the WJC. Petterson was an underager though. 

23 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

If they took Liljegren over Vilardi I wouldn't be done with this team, just done with this management team.

I agree. However Liljegren isnt even ranked in the top 10. I highly doubt this managment team would make such a move. The question is how many fans are complaining if Vilardi is chosen over Glass and/or vice versa. How many fans would be happy taking Petterssen at 5 and how many others would be up in arms?

a part of this fan base is going to be disappointed no matter who we pick at 5. Those fans will either shutup and be proven wrong in 2-3 years or will be telling anyone who will listen how they knew it was the wrong pick, etc. 

I have no expectations and am confident whoever is chosen will be good for this team. 

Edited by Seannnp

1 minute ago, Seannnp said:

I agree. However Liljegren isnt even ranked in the top 10. I highly doubt this managment team would make such a move. The question is how many fans are complaining if Vilardi is chosen over Glass and/or vice versa. How many fans would be happy taking Petterssen at 5 and how many others would be up in arms?

a part of this fan base is going to be disappointed no matter who we pick at 5. Those fans will either shutup and be proben wrong in 2-3 years or will telling anyone who will listen how they knew it was the wrong pick, etc. 

I have no expectations and am confident whoever is chosen will be good for this team. 

Benning is doing better at playing poker with the media this year. Last year it was obvious he liked Dubios and Juolevi. This year it's not so obvious who he likes. Besides Makar it's apparent JB has a crush on him. 

2 hours ago, BabychStache said:

I think Dallas and 3 has fizzled with the Methot rumor. 

Target buffalo at 8. 

Tanev for 8 and Kane.

Come out of the Draft with Glass, Villardi or Pettersson and one of Lliejgren/Heiskanen/Makar. 

Add a PF with something to prove and you've got the makings of something. 

Buffalo give you a hard no to that proposal 

• Upvote 1

We're looking for a number one centre because there are question marks about Horvat's offensive capabilities. I can see why some fans don't like the idea of drafting a guy that projects the same. I think most fans would rather shoot for the stars at the more offensively gifted player in hopes that points wise he's more then Horvat and a clear cut number 1. Not roll with in the future of a 2a and 2b centre combo. Me personally I like both Vilardi and Pettersson as I've stated before and would be ecstatic with either one!

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

DO NOT PASS ON VILARDI!

Wait a tick...

Valardi has high-end skill and size to back it up. He needs to up his skating but he looks to be a better pick overall.

just pointing out the Virtanen mention doesn't really compare to either player in any real way.

i do like Petterson, guy is playing with older men and looking great, played with Dahlen for whatever that is worth and he can play in the AHL next year (I believe) so that is pretty cool too

probably a better pick in the 8-10 range though

all i wish for this draft is a player that will make an impact and can play in the top 6... so far Benning's drafting ability in the 1st round is nothing to write home about.. already wasted 2 first rounders in virtanen and mccann and passed on players that had far better NHL success.. passed on Tkachuk for Juolevi last year.. Juolevi can still be great but watching Tkachuk developing and playing nicely in Calgary hurts while Juolevi looked average in the OHL last year.. imagine if we drafted better with our 1st round picks the last couple years.. we'd be so much further ahead in the rebuild

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

all i wish for this draft is a player that will make an impact and can play in the top 6... so far Benning's drafting ability in the 1st round is nothing to write home about.. already wasted 2 first rounders in virtanen and mccann and passed on players that had far better NHL success.. passed on Tkachuk for Juolevi last year.. Juolevi can still be great but watching Tkachuk developing and playing nicely in Calgary hurts while Juolevi looked average in the OHL last year.. imagine if we drafted better with our 1st round picks the last couple years.. we'd be so much further ahead in the rebuild

Drafting McCann definitely wasn't a waste. I'd swap 24 and 33 for a top 4 Dman any day. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

:bigblush: Think its fair to say your guess is as good as mine... I'll go with what ever JB decides. There is a bigger plan behind it all... I hope :P

To tell you the truth, Benning seems to be leading on that Glass or Makar are his 2 guys to media from what I see.

He seems very quiet on Heiskenan & doesn't bring up Vilardi a whole lot. These are is real 2 guys. B)

If I'm reading JB right this is what I see Benning's top 4 selling predictions. 

1.Hirschier

2.Patrick

3.Makar

4.Glass

5.Heiskenan/Vilardi

If the top 4 go like this then who does Benning take? Something tells me he might be thinking Heiskenan/Juolevi? Or does he run to the podium & call out Gabe?

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

To tell you the truth, Benning seems to be leading on that Glass or Makar are his 2 guys to media from what I see.

He seems very quiet on Heiskenan & doesn't bring up Vilardi a whole lot. These are is real 2 guys. B)

If I'm reading JB right this is what I see Benning's top 4 selling predictions. 

1.Hirschier

2.Patrick

3.Makar

4.Glass

5.Heiskenan/Vilardi

If the top 4 go like this then who does Benning take? Something tells me he might be thinking Heiskenan/Juolevi? Or does he run to the podium & call out Gabe?

I'll just add one more name to that 5th spot if the draft goes in that order (Heiskanen/Vilardi/Pettersson) and then he might be thinking one of those choices.  Either way Benning will address a "need."  

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
Typo
  • Upvote 2