The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Might be a good draft to move up depending on where we pick. I think Arizona might be motivated to trade down from number 2 if they end up there.

I wouldn't be against a package of Hutton, Granlund, and our 1st if it meant getting Hischier.

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Might be a good draft to move up depending on where we pick. I think Arizona might be motivated to trade down from number 2 if they end up there.

I wouldn't be against a package of Hutton, Granlund, and our 1st if it meant getting Hischier.

If we are picking around 5th, no way do we do something like that. Maybe if we end up in the 10-14 range. Still an over payment in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

If we are picking around 5th, no way do we do something like that. Maybe if we end up in the 10-14 range. Still an over payment in my opinion. 

I don't think we'll be picking 5th. Probably in the 7-11 range.

It's worth it for a franchise player.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I don't think we'll be picking 5th. Probably in the 7-11 range.

It's worth it for a franchise player.

Franchise player? Who has been calling him a franchise player? I thought the general consensus was iffy if there was even a forward with 1st line potential in this draft. I like Hishier, but I don't think anyone is considering him a player with franchise potential at this point. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of all drafts, this is definitely not the draft to waste resources on moving up imo. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Franchise player? Who has been calling him a franchise player? I thought the general consensus was iffy if there was even a forward with 1st line potential in this draft. I like Hishier, but I don't think anyone is considering him a player with franchise potential at this point. 

Hischier is definitely a first line player, probably the most skilled player in draft.

Definitely a franchise player. Not a generational player though.

Scouts say drafts are weak all the time but they almost always end up producing elite talent in the top 3.

15 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Of all drafts, this is definitely not the draft to waste resources on moving up imo. 

Just like 2007 wouldn't have been worth it to move up to number 1?

If anything, weak drafts are the best time to move up because there's teams willing to sell. There's definitely a franchise player in this years top 5.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Hischier is definitely a first line player, probably the most skilled player in draft.

Definitely a franchise player. Not a generational player though.

Scouts say drafts are weak all the time but they almost always end up producing elite talent in the top 3.

Not a franchise player. A player with first line potential. Even saying he is the most skilled player in the draft is a stretch. I wouldn't be upset if we didn't draft him. 

3 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Not a franchise player. A player with first line potential. Even saying he is the most skilled player in the draft is a stretch. I wouldn't be upset if we didn't draft him. 

Not a stretch at all, have you watched him play?

And what do you consider a franchise player? I consider them a player who leads the team in points, sells jersey's, and puts butts in the seats. A player of his high end skill level will definitely do that no question.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not a stretch at all, have you watched him play?

And what do you consider a franchise player? I consider them a player who leads the team in points, sells jersey's, and puts butts in the seats. A player of his high end skill level will definitely do that no question.

I would consider a franchise player someone you build a team around and perennially leads the team both in terms of leadership and scoring. Examples being: Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Jamie Benn, Drew Doughty. 

Do you think Hischier has that potential? Are there any scouting reports that state this as well?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I would consider a franchise player someone you build a team around and perennially leads the team both in terms of leadership and scoring. Examples being: Patrick Kane, John Tavares, Jamie Benn, Drew Doughty. 

Do you think Hischier has that potential? Are there any scouting reports that state this as well?

And I think DeNiro isn't wrong where a player in this draft COULD become a franchise player. But the difference is that no one is being projected to be a franchise tagged player thus there is no point selling the farm to move to draft a player who we are not 100% sure what we have in him. 

• Upvote 1

I proposed trading up a while back. I don't think drafting outside of the top-3/5 would help this team very much at all. I think we should be pursuing a trade into the top-2 particularly to land us a center with 1st line potential. Depending on what we have to give up, it could be a massive boost to the organization. 

I agree that Arizona is a good trading partner if they land in the top-2. They already have Keller, Strome and Dvorak as good center prospects. They need help on defense. Something around Tanev and our 1st depending on where we end up would be the foundation of the deal we would be looking at. 

The way I see it, we would be trading Tanev to upgrade our 1st to a position to land Patrick/Hischier. I'm not 100% sure if that's a good deal for us, but I don't think I'd be crying if it happened. 

• Upvote 2

I was looking at the 2012 NHL draft. Galchenyuk at 3 and Forsberg at 11 are arguably the best players of that draft in terms of most points earned for their clubs. I was thinking, why did other clubs pass over these guys? I feel there is a tendency to favour big north american players over smaller skilled players. Also people tend to pick based on positional need. In the 2016 draft LW Patrik Laine was the best scorer and was picked 2nd over C Austin Mathews. I think the best scorer of this draft is Eli Tolvanen. A shot like his is exactly what we need. He is a pure sniper like the Laine's and Stamkos's of the league. I see him as a Temu Selane type player. Realistically we will finish somewhere in the 4-8th spot. Where we draft remains to be seen. I see the draft going like this. 

Hischier

Patrick

Vilardi

Liljegren

Tolvanen

Tippett

Rasmussen

Necas 

If he is available when we draft I say take him so we have a lethal PP weapon. 

3 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I was looking at the 2012 NHL draft. Galchenyuk at 3 and Forsberg at 11 are arguably the best players of that draft in terms of most points earned for their clubs. I was thinking, why did other clubs pass over these guys? I feel there is a tendency to favour big north american players over smaller skilled players. Also people tend to pick based on positional need. In the 2016 draft LW Patrik Laine was the best scorer and was picked 2nd over C Austin Mathews. I think the best scorer of this draft is Eli Tolvanen. A shot like his is exactly what we need. He is a pure sniper like the Laine's and Stamkos's of the league. I see him as a Temu Selane type player. Realistically we will finish somewhere in the 4-8th spot. Where we draft remains to be seen. I see the draft going like this. 

Hischier

Patrick

Vilardi

Liljegren

Tolvanen

Tippett

Rasmussen

Necas 

i agree with u 

would  you consider j dahlen a natural center ?

33 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Hischier

Patrick

Vilardi

Liljegren

Tolvanen

Tippett

Rasmussen

Necas 

I really like Tolvanen too. When I heard he was going to be picked around 6-10, I'm like yeah I'd be all over this kid. Like how can you even sleep on this kid? Just because he plays for a not well known school doesn't mean we should ignore him. He's a Finn also and they've been generating some generational talent as of late like last year's draft (Laine, Poolparty, Juolevi). I don't know why he hasn't been in the discussion for the top 5. I believe he's being overshadowed by guys like Middlestadt, Vilardi, Hischier, Patrick, Lilj who isn't even ranked in the top 10 anymore I think(hasn't played a lot but a worthwhile gamble). I say this kid can easily become a franchise player this team desperately needs to rival other teams in our conference like the Jets having Laine, Sharks with Pavelski, etc. We need a sniper not named Boeser, Goldobin, Lockwood, Gaudette, etc. and I think he is one. He will be a consistent goal scorer in the league no question

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I really like Tolvanen too. When I heard he was going to be picked around 6-10, I'm like yeah I'd be all over this kid. Like how can you even sleep on this kid? Just because he plays for a not well known school doesn't mean we should ignore him. He's a Finn also and they've been generating some generational talent as of late like last year's draft (Laine, Poolparty, Juolevi). I don't know why he hasn't been in the discussion for the top 5. I believe he's being overshadowed by guys like Middlestadt, Vilardi, Hischier, Patrick, Lilj who isn't even ranked in the top 10 anymore I think(hasn't played a lot but a worthwhile gamble). I say this kid can easily become a franchise player this team desperately needs to rival other teams in our conference like the Jets having Laine, Sharks with Pavelski, etc. We need a sniper not named Boeser, Goldobin, Lockwood, Gaudette, etc. and I think he is one. He will be a consistent goal scorer in the league no question

but we need centres, since we don't really have depth there. 

Depends as well where Dahlen is going to be playing. Is he going to be a top centre in the NHL? or is the organization going to turn him into a winger? 

55 minutes ago, cookieeater55 said:

i agree with u 

would  you consider j dahlen a natural center ?

well, that's the question isn't it. if Dahlen is a natural centre, then we may draft a winger, instead at the upcoming draft. 

but if there's doubt whether Dahlen can be a top centre in the league, then we gotta take a centre in the draft. 

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

but we need centres, since we don't really have depth there. 

Depends as well where Dahlen is going to be playing. Is he going to be a top centre in the NHL? or is the organization going to turn him into a winger? 

That can go either way imo. Personally with the lack of centre depth we have, I'd put him up the middle with Boeser and Granny on his flanks one day that could form a solid line. If we pick Pettersson, then he's going to be a winger and they'll be on alone together since they click already in their time in the Swedish League. We might be picking around that 5-8 range anyways so I'd be picking Pettersson all day considering his chemistry with Dahlen and I bet you Benning is thinking the same

• Upvote 1