The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Lockwood | RW

-Vintage Canuck-

Ever notice that all year long whenever Trevor Linden is asked about our prospects, Lockwood is a real go to name drop? I noticed it after the second time he mentioned him and thought, hmm that's twice now he's brought up Lockwood, there must be something with this kid. Then he kept doing it all year in different interviews. 

After the season I'm wondering is Linden himself just suuuper high on this kid? or behind the scenes is scout master Jim saying "watch this kid Trev, he's the dark horse that's going places"?

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

If Lockwood can continue his success at the next level I see him being a contender for the second line RW position on our team. 

His coach Red Beresen retired yesterday. He was very high on Lockwood.

I don't think he has the IQ to be a top 6 player, similar to Virtanen. He looks like a north-south guy who keeps things simple and puts pucks on net. He is looking like a pretty useful player, just probably not in the top 6, unless he's playing with 2 other superstars. 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't think he has the IQ to be a top 6 player, similar to Virtanen. He looks like a north-south guy who keeps things simple and puts pucks on net. He is looking like a pretty useful player, just probably not in the top 6, unless he's playing with 2 other superstars. 

Lockwood was on both the PP and PK. I saw him play only 1 game. For what it was worth he played a very strong position game with an edge on physicality. Reads the play well.  

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

With his motor and and foot speed he could probably be a handy middle-6 player better suited to third line puck-hound duties. Realistically that is not bad for a 3rd round pick.

I remember the prospect hounds over at CA bemoaning this selection (as they do with nearly every selection... substituting snark for substance and intelligence) but have since backpedaled pretty hard. 

Benning seems to have an obvious tendency to look for speed and tenacity in the lower end of the roster instead of size, like Lockwood and Griffen Molino.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Lockwood was on both the PP and PK. I saw him play only 1 game. For what it was worth he played a very strong position game with an edge on physicality. Reads the play well.  

He does seem to read the play pretty well and is capable of making passes in the zone. I just don't think he's creative enough to be a staple in our top 6. 

4 hours ago, Scruffy05 said:

With his motor and and foot speed he could probably be a handy middle-6 player better suited to third line puck-hound duties. Realistically that is not bad for a 3rd round pick.

I remember the prospect hounds over at CA bemoaning this selection (as they do with nearly every selection... substituting snark for substance and intelligence) but have since backpedaled pretty hard. 

Benning seems to have an obvious tendency to look for speed and tenacity in the lower end of the roster instead of size, like Lockwood and Griffen Molino.

Please understand that I'm not saying he was a bad pick. There's nothing wrong with being a good bottom 6 player and those types of guys are very important to building a good team. I just think that the expectations shouldn't be too high for him just because he had a good year. 

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He does seem to read the play pretty well and is capable of making passes in the zone. I just don't think he's creative enough to be a staple in our top 6. 

Please understand that I'm not saying he was a bad pick. There's nothing wrong with being a good bottom 6 player and those types of guys are very important to building a good team. I just think that the expectations shouldn't be too high for him just because he had a good year. 

Is Lockwood a lot like Hansen: speedy with a bit of an edge?

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think we are currently agreeing with each other... I think we are on essentially the same page here.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Lockwood a lot like Hansen: speedy with a bit of an edge?

Think for yourself. 

8 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

I think we are currently agreeing with each other... I think we are on essentially the same page here.

Alright, just wanted to be sure. 

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I did.  I think the kid plays a lot like Hansen.  Curious if others see the same quickness, tenacity, and edge?

I've only seen highlights and the shift by shifts that are out there but but I see what you are seeing.  I think if everything goes right for him he has the hands to be a top 6 forward but would be pretty happy if he turned out like Hansen.  

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He oozes hockey IQ. The thing I would be worried about would be his passing ability, he struggles to make that killer pass. In terms of play style/ceiling I see Brendan Gallagher.

55 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

He oozes hockey IQ. The thing I would be worried about would be his passing ability, he struggles to make that killer pass. In terms of play style/ceiling I see Brendan Gallagher.

Can you provide an example or two of him making a high IQ play?

Or just define what your personal definition of hockey IQ is?

Genuinly curious. 

@Horvat is a Boss Red Berenson only recruits players who have very good hockey sense. He always has. You do not. DO NOT play as a freshman on a Red Berenson team if you do not have elite hockey sense. In regards to Will, you can defiantly see how smart he is in the defensive zone, he reads play very well for a young kid. 

• Upvote 1