The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

On 1/5/2017 at 4:08 AM, The 5th Line said:

I thought I'd join in on all of this fun.  I want you all to ask yourselves a question; Did you all truly believe yourselves when you made these comments?  Or are you so utterly blinded by homerism that you will say whatever it takes to convince yourself that the Canucks are the be all and end all of the world?  I know some of you still stand by your comments and I totally respect that, I am not trying to call anyone out or cause a fuss.  Sometimes people need to learn to be realistic and that it's okay to let your brain do the talking, you need to learn that just because you say something it won't automatically make it come true.  How can someone say something they truly don't believe in?  Don't you feel accountable?  Ashamed?  Like a phony?   I bleed blue and green just like the rest of you but I'm not afraid to say it how it is.  People say I am negative but really I am just speaking my mind and what I truly believe is the truth and it's not my fault this team has far more negatives circling around than it does positives although these last few weeks have been nice.  

This comment may come off like I'm trying to make you sound like fools but I'm not, you are all smart hockey fans which is why I am so confused by some of these comments.  I could be completely wrong with my accusations, maybe everyone of you truly believe what you said and if that is the case then I sincerely apologize.  

Some or all of those posters are on the Canucks payroll,, it's pretty obvious when you read some of those posts,

companies do this to influence public opinion at the grassroots level

and there may be a really patient "slow burn " troll there too

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

None of last summer's big name UFAs are lighting it up thus far:

Okposo 12 goals

Backes 11

Eriksson 10

Lucic 10

Ladd 8

Lesson:  Don't sign big name UFA's

A lot of you were calling TSN trolls for not agreeing with this signing.  Have any of you changed your mind yet?  Or do we have to go thru a couple of years of 15-20 goals @ 6schmill before that will happen.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

None of last summer's big name UFAs are lighting it up thus far:

Okposo 12 goals

Backes 11

Eriksson 10

Lucic 10

Ladd 8

I'd like to point out the guy I wanted has the most goals ::D

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

A lot of you were calling TSN trolls for not agreeing with this signing.  Have any of you changed your mind yet?  Or do we have to go thru a couple of years of 15-20 goals @ 6schmill before that will happen.

Nope. Takes players time to adapt and IMO, the Eriksson signing will be far more important in the 18/19 season as he'll likely be the only top 6 vet we have left at that point. He'll give Benning a couple extra years to find and/or develop a future top 6 RW, shelter Boeser etc.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Lesson - don't over-react to small samples.

Just quote something.

I'd sign him all over again were it today.  And I'd have signed Okposo if the opportunity were there - still would.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Lesson - don't over-react to small samples.

Just quote something.

I'd sign him all over again were it today.  And I'd have signed Okposo if the opportunity were there - still would.

Yeah it wasn't going to happen. The guy is an American and played his entire career in the state of New York. Pretty sure he didn't want to up and leave his time zone let alone counrty.

Loui was a good consolation prize. Yes 6 mil is a bit steep but if you compare it to vrbata's 5 mil it's definitely worth the upgrade. Had he been under contract and we traded for him we would have given up a lot. All we lost was a bit of cap space We have a lot more coming and let's be honest, we aren't going to be reeling in a big name ufa otherwise.

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Yeah it wasn't going to happen. The guy is an American and played his entire career in the state of New York. Pretty sure he didn't want to up and leave his time zone let alone counrty.

Loui was a good consolation prize. Yes 6 mil is a bit steep but if you compare it to vrbata's 5 mil it's definitely worth the upgrade. Had he been under contract and we traded for him we would have given up a lot. All we lost was a bit of cap space We have a lot more coming and let's be honest, we aren't going to be reeling in a big name ufa otherwise.

Loui is an okay player, but why is a rebuilding team signing a 31 year old to a 6x6, and giving him a NMC?  We are going to have to expose either Baer or Granlund in the expansion draft now.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui is an okay player, but why is a rebuilding team signing a 31 year old to a 6x6, and giving him a NMC?  We are going to have to expose either Baer or Granlund in the expansion draft now.  

No way baer gets exposed. The way it sits right now granlund is up for grabs but I'd bet money on sbisa being picked. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

BTW it's only a 2 year NMC

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

BTW it's only a 2 year NMC

That's at least a start, but it doesn't help with protecting both Baer and Granlund.  I do agree with you; if Sbisa is exposed Vegas takes him.  He's the more valued of those three.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's at least a start, but it doesn't help with protecting both Baer and Granlund.  I do agree with you; if Sbisa is exposed Vegas takes him.  He's the more valued of those three.  

Yep I'm thinking vegas takes the max on dmen (13 of them) then peddles half for waiver exempt prospects and picks. #4 dmen are going to be worth their weight in gold after half the league loses them.

Edited by coryberg

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

As much as I love the Honey Badger, I think he's the guy left exposed sadly.

If he is leaning that way it would be nice if JB could talk with Hansen's agent, tell him he is going to be exposed and ask if he would rather be traded to a contender instead of being stuck on an expansion team.

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

If he is leaning that way it would be nice if JB could talk with Hansen's agent, tell him he is going to be exposed and ask if he would rather be traded to a contender instead of being stuck on an expansion team.

He might just be safe and we lose the likes of Sbisa or Gaunce (unless we can trade a D). Lifer vet, +30 years old who could easily go back home (or to another team) in one year as free agent.

If I'm LVGK, I want guys under contract and or RFA that I have some time and or control over.  

• 2 weeks later...

Loui Eriksson was pretty low on my list of free agents to target. At the end of the day when we were left with nobody and had signed Eriksson I was feeling hopeful that it would work out okay, and at least it was better than signing no one... How wrong I was. Signing no one in comparison to signing Eriksson was definitely the way to go... Hindsight is always 20/20. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Loui Eriksson was pretty low on my list of free agents to target. At the end of the day when we were left with nobody and had signed Eriksson I was feeling hopeful that it would work out okay, and at least it was better than signing no one... How wrong I was. Signing no one in comparison to signing Eriksson was definitely the way to go... Hindsight is always 20/20. 

Such a difficult situation. Vancouver is a special market. A market that just won't accept a tear down rebuild (not that those always work anyway). There is also something to be said for surrounding your youth with veteran leadership.

That said, the Canucks already had veteran leadership with the Sedin's, Edler, Miller, Burrows, and Hansen. Veteran leadership was not something this team needed more of to help develop their youth. I have always liked Eriksson. Great two way player. However, a 6x6 contract to a NOT elite, over 30 forward, is a mistake you let other teams make (ie: Islanders). 

Love Eriksson. But was not a fan of the signing when it happened. Nor were a lot of people. But could be worse. Could have drafted Virta...oh.

• Upvote 2