The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How much confidence does each NHL fan base have in their front office?

It does not say anywhere that he polled peeps from Vancouver (or any other fanbase for that matter),...just a 'group of people' (from where ?..his friends..?)....29th in drafting (the 2014 draft and Boeser pick nullifies that).?...Its tiresome reading these articles by Eastern bloggers,who don't put a lick of research into what they're writing about.

May as well get used to it Canuck fans...Once you're on your way down,they start kicking..

TheProvince.com decided to do their own survey (http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/do-canucks-fans-really-hate-their-front-office), and so far, the results (10 being the most confidence; 1 being the least confidence) are mixed and close to the extremes:

• Roster Building: 7
  • Cap Management: 1
  • Drafting & Developing Prospects: 8
  • Trading: 1
  • Free Agency: 7
  • Vision: 1

People think that the management is doing a pretty good job building the roster, drafting and developing prospects and signing free agents, but at the same time, the management does a poor job with the cap, trades and has zero vision. Based on the comments I've read here at CDC, I would say that quite a bit of the posters here would agree with those grades.

For me personally, for Roster Building, until I figure out what this supposed Canuck identity is that they keep talking about, I can't give them a passing mark on Roster building. For the Cap Management, I would like to wait until next year when we re-sign our RFA's so I'll have that as INC. I think Benning does a great job drafting players and for the most part, I've liked the development of our young guys so definitely high marks. I've liked most of the trades that were made, but I wish we could have gotten something from Vrbata and Hamhuis, but I would have given the management a passing mark on this. On Free Agency, the Canucks have managed to attract known coveted free agents so I would give them high marks. As for the Vision, until I can understand what style of hockey we expect to be playing, I would agree with the low mark.

the same article on hockey news fb site is causing a lot of debate from fans of all teams, who the hell is dominik luszchyszyn? with a name like that  he should stick to cabbage roll recipe's .not that there's anything wrong with cabbage rolls.

How are we dead last? Ottawa and Edmonton fans have literally no confidence at all in their managements or owners. Katz and Melnyk are by far the worst owners in the league. Come on. Benning's not the most popular GM we've ever had, but most fans are satisfied with the job he's done, and have plenty of faith in him.

The only thing I like about this article is seeing Boston and Montreal 28th and 29th. Sweeny is burning Boston to the ground. Montreal... I can't figure out at all.

Also, the Florida Panthers at #2? Do they even follow hockey? Their new GM's having a fire sale for literally no reason, he's not getting well liked. 

It was 29th in drafting and DEVELOPMENT ppl. It's so unfortunate that posters don't read what they are commenting on.,

No Canucks fan can argue JB's best strength is his drafting. If you follow the team close enough you know how excited Canucks fans are about our prospects. At the same time it's tough to argue mgmnt didn't rush Virt and McCann. So it's part and parcel. 

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It was 29th in drafting and DEVELOPMENT ppl. It's so unfortunate that posters don't read what they are commenting on.,

No Canucks fan can argue JB's best strength is his drafting. If you follow the team close enough you know how excited Canucks fans are about our prospects. At the same time it's tough to argue mgmnt didn't rush Virt and McCann. So it's part and parcel. 

thank god we rushed mccann cause that got us guddy..

also no harm to virt in my opinion.. probably got him actually doing serious training one year earlier than he would have otherwise

16 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

thank god we rushed mccann cause that got us guddy..

also no harm to virt in my opinion.. probably got him actually doing serious training one year earlier than he would have otherwise

Trades was also part of that poll which ranked us 30th in the NHL. So AGAIN, I"m glad posters know what they are commenting on. 

Virt and McCann were both rushed. It's a great thing FLD called us for McCann but those things aren't guaranteed and surely you don't believe JB kept JM in the NHL because he thought Tallon would get moved out of GM position, an analytical GM would take over, Gudbransson would refuse a long term deal under 5.0 mill and we would get an offer to trade JM for Guddy. 

Our intention was to keep him and develop him. 

I do see your point that we would not be able to make this trade for Guddy if McCann was not promoted early. But it is a fact as dictated by his games played , TOI etc. that McCann was rushed.

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Trades was also part of that poll which ranked us 30th in the NHL. So AGAIN, I"m glad posters know what they are commenting on. 

Virt and McCann were both rushed. It's a great thing FLD called us for McCann but those things aren't guaranteed and surely you don't believe JB kept JM in the NHL because he thought we'd get a 4D for him. 

Our intention was to keep him and develop him. 

I do see your point that we would not be able to make this trade for Guddy if McCann was not promoted early. But it is a fact as dictated by his games played , TOI etc. that McCann was rushed.

well i guess my point would be that hindsight is 20/20 and the fact that mccann got some time in the nhl spotlight ended up working in our favour (more value that a 24th overall wouldve brought for sure)

6 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

well i guess my point would be that hindsight is 20/20 and the fact that mccann got some time in the nhl spotlight ended up working in our favour (more value that a 24th overall wouldve brought for sure)

Yes, It's a good point and I agree, it worked in our favour. 

point noted. 

edit:

BTW. if you are interested here is the article and poll from the THN.

VAN

it was a multi question poll which separated categories, however I was disappointed drafting and development were the same question because imo these are two separate questions as it relates to the Canucks. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-much-confidence-does-each-nhl-fan-base-have-in-their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Virt and McCann were both rushed. It's a great thing FLD called us for McCann but those things aren't guaranteed and surely you don't believe JB kept JM in the NHL because he thought Tallon would get moved out of GM position, an analytical GM would take over, Gudbransson would refuse a long term deal under 5.0 mill and we would get an offer to trade JM for Guddy.

There's no evidence for that either way yet.  In management's analysis, having them spend a year in the NHL with the team to oversee their development was preferable to another year in junior.  They did consider sending them back as well and could have done so, but didn't.  Team injuries were also a factor, but their long-term development was more important than just filling holes short term.

46 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The main reason McCann was rushed is because Sutter was injured. Who were we supposed to use in the third line centre role, Vey?

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

There's no evidence for that either way yet.  In management's analysis, having them spend a year in the NHL with the team to oversee their development was preferable to another year in junior.  They did consider sending them back as well and could have done so, but didn't.  Team injuries were also a factor, but their long-term development was more important than just filling holes short term.

I agree mgmt did consider it as did we all on CDC. IMO it was the wrong decision. different thread, different day., perhaps behind us.

McCann has been traded, Virt is not ready and we'll see if he's ready next season. Hope he is but I'd rather he spend some time in Utica playing top line minutes developing his offensive and hockey iq skills rather than being 4tth liner on the big squad.  

20 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes, It's a good point and I agree, it worked in our favour. 

point noted. 

edit:

BTW. if you are interested here is the article and poll from the THN.

it was a multi question poll which separated categories, however I was disappointed drafting and development were the same question because imo these are two separate questions as it relates to the Canucks. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-much-confidence-does-each-nhl-fan-base-have-in-their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

I actually read "don't see your point" on your previous post.. oops

Im more disappointed how closely results in the Province poll mirror THN. 50% of people voted 1-3 for the trading category.. all sour about losing shinkaruk? but the huge amount of 1's and majority voting for "no vision" is odd. do people in Van all just hate the nucks? 

as for the drafting and development category on THN I think you have to just consider the current management, and id still easily give them a 9 over the psat 2 years. the prospect camp appears to have been a huge success this year and more of the guys are now bennings picks/signings anyways (ex what boeser has done the year since we drafted him, demko's development with clouts, lots of signings in the 22-26 age range that still have potential and at worst will fill up Utica)

'NucK™

I couldn't agree more  with your 9 on D&D

Only because I score a 10 on draft. JB has done wonders with the draft, it's for first time in a decade we are excited for all our draft picks not just 1st rounders. 

ON development side I wish he hadn't rushed Virt and McCann but I think he's done a great job with Utica and the rest of our prospects. 

He needed to replenish our roster and prospect pool so it might have been all by plan. Either way it worked out. 

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So you would give them a 9 but Canucks fan base gives 2.91. 

I'm not sure there is a discussion to be had between us as it's such a large gap. I'm somewhere in the middle but a 9 is an outlier for me. 

It seems to be an I believe in evolution vs I believe in creation type gap. I respect your enthusiasm as you are an incredibly positive sports fan and I commend you for it. 

To me a 9 seems suitable if you just look at what benning had to work with and where he is 2 years later. some signings were pricy and trades unnecessary, but I really dont think management has gone wrong anywhere the past 2 years in terms of drafting and development.

sure we couldve had more picks this year - but that falls more into the trading category (which I would say is like a 4). as for development, I thought mccann was the only player rushed last year.. JV maybe (more off-ice tho which would have just as easily happened this year if it was his first) but i rly think that he learned from last year and benefited from it. 

i would really like to hear from the 1-3 drafting/development crowd (50% of people who read the province apparently) as to what they would like being done differently.. cause i cant think of anything

4 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

To me a 9 seems suitable if you just look at what benning had to work with and where he is at 2 years later. some signing's were pricy and trades unnecessary, but I really dont think management has gone wrong anywhere the past 2 years in terms of drafting and development. sure we couldve had more picks this year - but that falls more into the trading category (which I would say is like a 4). as for development, I thought mccann was the only player rushed last year.. JV maybe (more off-ice tho) but i rly think that he learned from last year and benefited from it. 

i would really like to hear from the 1-3 drafting/development crowd (50% of people who read the province apparently) as to what they would like being done differently.. cause i cant think of anything

i edited my post while you were writing yours. 

post above this one

I agree with D&D JB at 9.

Let's be clear, it's been a tough time for JB, he's done pretty damn well here so far. He's repleinished our 27 and under roster while rebuilding our prospect pool. 

No complaints for me except on his executive level skills which could be handled with help form subordinates.  

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

i edited my post while you were writing yours. 

post above this one

I agree with D&D JB at 9.

Let's be clear, it's been a tough time for JB, he's done pretty damn well here so far. He's repleinished our 27 and under roster while rebuilding our prospect pool. 

No complaints for me except on his executive level skills which could be handled with help form subordinates.  

I thought you said 9 was an outlier :P

for me it's easy to be positive cause i only started closely following the canucks ~2008, at which point the core was mostly in place and the only change was adding a few guys here and there. i personally love all the changes and the next few years really feels like it will be a fresh start for the team which is exciting for me!

Archived