The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Green

Toyotasfan

Article on NHL.com short lists Utica coach Travis Green as a potential head coach of the Colorado Avalanche . Probably doesn't deserve its own thread but it's summertime and there's not much new around here. Besides it would kinda suck if they poach our replacement for Willie D.

13 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Article on NHL.com short lists Utica coach Travis Green as a potential head coach of the Colorado Avalanche . Probably doesn't deserve its own thread but it's summertime and there's not much new around here. Besides it would kinda suck if they poach our replacement for Willie D.

we were lucky he didnt go ealier when 3-4 teams were looking for a coach...I have a feeling he will go this time....Hartley is in the mix too.

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

we were lucky he didnt go ealier when 3-4 teams were looking for a coach...I have a feeling he will go this time....Hartley is in the mix too.

I hope your wrong but it wouldn't shock me ..   Lets hope that someone in Canucks brass has has a quiet convo with him about bringing him up to replace Willy when the time comes .  ( guessing christmas )

5 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

I hope your wrong but it wouldn't shock me ..   Lets hope that someone in Canucks brass has has a quiet convo with him about bringing him up to replace Willy when the time comes .  ( guessing christmas )

I hope Im wrong too..Green would slide in so nicely here when the time comes.

It's not 'if' he coaches in the NHL,  it's 'when & where'.  

I'm certain Trevor Linden and other senior Canucks management are aware that Green is a highly regarded asset and know he could be lost at some time possibly.   Wouldn't be fair to either Travis or Willy to have any other situation than the organization has right now unfortunately however. 

Hmmm I live under a rock when it comes to AHL stuff but how come Green is this highly touted? Am I missing something? 

I assume he had a big part of Uticas finals run the season before but is it mainly just based on that? 

22 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hmmm I live under a rock when it comes to AHL stuff but how come Green is this highly touted? Am I missing something? 

I assume he had a big part of Uticas finals run the season before but is it mainly just based on that? 

Rep was built on the way he managed the bench when Johnston was suspended for the second half of 2012-2013, leading the 'hawks to Mem Cup finals after winning the Dub Championship.  Throw in a winning record after a rough going with something like an 0-10 to start 2013-2014, a trip to Calder Cup Finals in 2014-2015, a decent showing with a rag-tag team in 2015-2016, and a reputation for being honest/straight forward/solid at developing young 'uns, and the legend of Travis Green has grown.  Just hope his story doesn't take a Dallas Eakins sort of detour.

Plus, throw in a quasi mullet that he's rocking now after a killer mullet he sported as a player, and he's the consummate hockey dude.  

In all seriousness, I hope he gets his chance in the NHL...it's looking more like the chance he's going to get is going to be somewhere other than Vancouver.

From the Denver Post - Green still in the mix but not among the two front-runners:

NHL assistant coaches Bob Boughner of the San Jose Sharks and Kevin Dineen of the Chicago Blackhawks have emerged as major candidates in the Avalanche’s search for a head coach to succeed Patrick Roy.

The other candidates in the evolving field to succeed Roy are Jared Bednar, head coach of the Cleveland (formerly Lake Erie) Monsters, who recently won the AHL’s Calder Cup; fellow AHL head coach Travis Green of the Utica Comets; Washington Capitals assistant Lane Lambert; and New York Rangers associate head coach Scott Arniel. [...]

The Avalanche was required to obtain permission to speak with coaches under contract with other teams for next season, but that doesn’t appear to have been a major problem.

I hope Green doesn't get poached. I see him as a logical suitor for the head coach position here.

While Willie has been good in developing the younger players, I just don't see him as a long term head coach here. It's one thing to bring along the youth, it's another to get outcoached during the regular season. WD's questionable player deployment will be what does him in.

Boughner and Dineen ‘major candidates’ for Avs gig, Arniel out:

Just weeks after Patrick Roy’s shock departure, Colorado’s search for a new head coach appears to be taking shape.

There’s plenty to get into, so let’s go bullet points:

Per the Denver Post, a pair of assistant coaches — San Jose’s Bob Boughner and Chicago’s Kevin Dineen — have emerged as “major candidates” for the job.

• Also per the Post, Jared Bednar — the head coach of Columbus’ Calder Cup-winning AHL affiliate in Lake Erie — is in the mix for the Colorado gig as well.

• Another guy with Columbus ties, former head coach Scott Arniel, is reportedly out of contention, per the Dispatch. Arniel’s currently serving as Alain Vigneault’s right-hand man in New York.

• Other names in the mix include Vancouver property Travis Green (currently with AHL Utica) and longtime Barry Trotz assistant Lane Lambert (currently with Washington).

• Brad Larsen, currently one of John Tortorella’s assistants in Columbus and a former Avs player, won’t be getting an interview. Larsen’s name had apparently been floated earlier.

• And finally, if you’re wondering why so many guys with Columbus ties are in the mix, the Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline explained that former BJ’s assistant GM Chris McFarland now has the same job in Colorado under Joe Sakic.

So there you go.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/08/23/report-boughner-and-dineen-major-candidates-for-avs-gig-arniel-out/

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Avs can have green...i dont get why this board is all hyped up over green. This is the exact same hype willy d had and now most fans want him gone. 

Even if he doesn't become a good NHL coach, it's important to have a good AHL coach on our farm team right now. These next few years of development for our prospects will be crucial in building another contender.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Even if he doesn't become a good NHL coach, it's important to have a good AHL coach on our farm team right now. These next few years of development for our prospects will be crucial in building another contender.

I agree that hes great for utica and has done a good job with the development but most of these clowns on the board pump green too hard. Im not sold on over hyped ahl coaches just ask dallas eakins, willy d was hyped up aswell. Maybe its just this fanbase cause as soon as a player,coach etc shows just a flash of promise its now considered the next big thing.

On 8/23/2016 at 2:27 PM, captainhorvat said:

I agree that hes great for utica and has done a good job with the development but most of these clowns on the board pump green too hard. Im not sold on over hyped ahl coaches just ask dallas eakins, willy d was hyped up aswell. Maybe its just this fanbase cause as soon as a player,coach etc shows just a flash of promise its now considered the next big thing.

I think is because our AHL team had a bit more success compared to the previous years.

After the Manitoba Moose days, our AHL team has been pretty average or flat out bad (Chicago Wolves days). Amplified by our weak roster now, people are projecting a ton of hope in the future and in turn focus more on our AHL affiliate more now.

With the success of Utica Comets (Calder Cup finalist 2 seasons ago), people are starting to think that Green is a very good coach and might be able to save the day better than Willie D (who has to work with a terrible Canucks roster).

I feel like Green will be a good coach in the NHL one day... but I don't think he will be as good as people are hyping him up to be right now.

Archived