The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] EDM-WPG-VAN Canadian Threesome

EDM: Trouba

WPG: Tanev

VAN: Draisaitl

Edmonton still has a hole in their defense and adding Trouba will solidify their defense for about a decade. Even with the departure of Draisaitl the Oilers still have former #1 overall picks in McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins down the middle and tons of offensive firepower.

Winnipeg needs to sign Trouba but if they can't come to terms they may want to make a lateral move as to not lose the defense depth to remain competitive. Tanev arguably is better than Trouba at the moment and is still young enough to grow with the younger Jets. They have a good forward core in Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, and Petan so they don't need any of the Edmonton forwards.

Vancouver needs a 1st line centre especially since the Sedins are getting older. Draisaitl can fill that role in the near future and has size and skill to boot. We lose Tanev, our best defenseman and one of the most underrated guys in the league, but still have enough defenseman now to help fill the void and spread the defensive responsibility. Tryamkin can step into a top-4 role and in the future may be able to pair well with Juolevi. If he struggles then it's cool too cuz then we'll just have another high draft pick and draft someone like a Callan Foote (Adam Foote's son) a possible top 10 selection who is 17 years old 6'3" and 200 lbs right hand shot and coming out of the Kelowna Rockets organization where last season he played the majority of his time with Lucas Johansen. In his rookie year he played 71 games and tallied 36 points and outscored Johansen in the playoffs with 9 points in 18 playoff games.

What you guys think?

I'm all for getting an heir apparent to Hank in Leon, just that we had better be sure that Gudbranson is as good as Mitchell and co. make him out to be as a physical, 20+ minute muncher each night.  There's a reason why Tanev is a top-pair D-man (he eliminates opponents' chances and gets the puck going in the right direction) and if Erik isn't ready then Tan Man leaving could leave a huge gap in the right side that Erik, Biega and Larsen would need to fill.  We could be tearing a hole in one area to fix another.  OP you do mention putting Tree in the top-4 but even then he was left-side, wasn't he?  I also wouldn't want Luca to play on the right (or on the team at all if I had my wish).

Trading tanev shifts our D lopsided

edler-gudbranson

hutton-sbisa

tryamkin-biega

pedan-larsen

That promotes gudbranson as our no.2 guy, Sbisa is Sbisa at no.3/4 and who knows what we're gonna get out of Hutton and tryamkin

tanev is too important to our defense to trade him and not get at least a 4/5 right shot dman in return as well as a top 6 forward. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Why?  Tanev's stats are way better than Trouba, aren't they?  Would they prefer Edler instead?  Edler and Buff as a number one pair would be awesome.  

Tanev, while good, is one dimensional. Trouba hasn't been given first unit PP time or top pairing minutes, which he's proved he can play when Buff has been injured. Also, Trouba is in the top 10 shot blocking defensemen in the league, and has a physical element to his game. So no, Tanev's stats are not "way better".

And definitely no to Edler. I've said this time and time again, Chevy doesn't want aging players that aren't contributing in the ways they were expected to. They parted with Ladd because they saw his game starting to decline, and they'd love to part with Enstrom, for the same reason. Edler is not wanted/needed.

50 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Even if there's 28 other PARTNERS wedged in the middle; if we can deal Tanev to get Drai, I'd pull the trigger.

I'm not excited about the prospect of watching them get pinned in the d zone, and crap the bed, again, on a regular basis this season.

Sure our D improved, but I'd wait til December to see if a miracle's unfolded and the team can handle losing Tanev. I think it would be a mistake to trade Spisa right now. 

It'd be nice to get a surprise out of training camp

Polarizing opinions so far. Some say yes some say no. Some think it's a good deal for Winnipeg while others don't, and some say Tanev for Draisaitl is a deal you make any day of the week. Is the value of the three-way trade that close, and that each team gets a piece it needs?

Each team loses a big piece but gains a valued piece in return.

How good will Tanev's contract look on the Jets when Ehlers', Laine's, Morrissey's and Connor's ELC runs out and they look for big raises?

What about the Oilers finally having defense to go with all that firepower up front?

Or the Canucks having a top-line to replace the Sedins and while having Horvat and Baertschi providing solid scoring on the second line, Sutter and Gaunce/Granlund playing shutdown on the third line, Juolevi, Hutton, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin forming a d-core with the perfect mix of nastiness, size, speed, and skill, and Demko backstopping?

32 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm not excited about the prospect of watching them get pinned in the d zone, and crap the bed, again, on a regular basis this season.

Sure our D improved, but I'd wait til December to see if a miracle's unfolded and the team can handle losing Tanev. I think it would be a mistake to trade Spisa right now. 

It'd be nice to get a surprise out of training camp

Apocalypse Soon is in the cards, Lucky. Too late for safety - we may as well think like Lt Col Kilgore..cos' "Charlie DON'T surf!"

I'll gamble that with Gud, Tree, Larseny, Stech & lil' B, we'll surf, not sink.

Archived