The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL] Canucks teammates united for Team Sweden

thejazz97

For the first time in my life, I'm jealous of Torontonians... they get to witness Sedinery earlier than we do this year :(

On a side note, still can't believe Loui got 6 mill... ffs no discount for pairing him up with the worlds greatest 1-2 punch? In the worlds greatest city? God damnit Loui... you and your greedy agent. You better produce or I'll dislike you pretty fast. If you do produce, I promise I'll be your #1 over the top fan. 

29 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

all you Edler lovers must be having a stroke because he did not make team Sweden. he did not make it because even team Sweden recognizes he is losing his game. 

That they have younger and better options at the D position than Edler, doesn't make him a poor player FWIW.

I can guarantee they wish they had younger forwards than the Sedins and Eriksson to trot out as well beside guys like Landy, Forsberg etc.

On 06/09/2016 at 2:35 PM, J.R. said:

Interesting comment...

The rope a dope! Classic! Just lower the  expectations - then surprise 'em!! They may not be the fastest - but the Sedins & Eriksson are among the craftiest & fittest athletes out there. Having uber game smarts, durability & that proven on-ice stamina will all count for something in this tournament.  Mark my words. 

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

That they have younger and better options at the D position than Edler, doesn't make him a poor player FWIW.

I can guarantee they wish they had younger forwards than the Sedins and Eriksson to trot out as well beside guys like Landy, Forsberg etc.

I doubt they wish they had anyone other than the sedins. Sedins are first liners on any team. Including team Canada. 

Yea I said it... GO CANUCKS GO!... I mean go Sweden go! 

5 hours ago, apollo said:

I doubt they wish they had anyone other than the sedins. Sedins are first liners on any team. Including team Canada. 

Yea I said it... GO CANUCKS GO!... I mean go Sweden go! 

The point was more about their age. Not their quality.

When grey beard players are still forming a major part of your national team nucleus, you have a problem. They have a major age gap that won't be easily filled once the Sedins retire/are no longer viable.

Same problem Benning has been dealing with the last couple years. 

Would we still send Thornton, Iginla etc on our national team? 

The roster for Sweden is unreal. Could they have the best defence in the tourney? Sure looks like it. Canucks also have representation in net from markstrom. 

I'm predicting this tourney will do alot of good for canuck fans and canuck players.  Stand up and take notice , we're here and if you think we're a tank team then I'm putting you on notice.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

The point was more about their age. Not their quality.

When grey beard players are still forming a major part of your national team nucleus, you have a problem. They have a major age gap that won't be easily filled once the Sedins retire/are no longer viable.

Same problem Benning has been dealing with the last couple years. 

Would we still send Thornton, Iginla etc on our national team? 

Thornton is on the national team....

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Thornton is on the national team....

Yeah, he was a late add near the end of the playoffs. Fair enough. How much longer does that last though? And is he still a major part of the nucleus? 

Sweden's going to be in trouble at forward in the next ~5 years unless they have some forwards start popping up. They've got a HELL of a D though.

On 9/6/2016 at 4:52 PM, J.R. said:

Edler is only 30 , hardly an aging vet. The funny thing is that many of us canuck fans have pointed out his poor play and inconsistency for years but one of the excuses was that he was young and that D-men dont hit there prime till a later age, but now his age is gonna be an excuse for his poor play ? 

On 07/09/2016 at 9:29 AM, J.R. said:

Yeah, he was a late add near the end of the playoffs. Fair enough. How much longer does that last though? And is he still a major part of the nucleus? 

Sweden's going to be in trouble at forward in the next ~5 years unless they have some forwards start popping up. They've got a HELL of a D though.

he was one of Canada's best players last night, imo.  that said, I agree for the most part.

On 10/09/2016 at 10:41 AM, TheAce said:

Edler is only 30 , hardly an aging vet. The funny thing is that many of us canuck fans have pointed out his poor play and inconsistency for years but one of the excuses was that he was young and that D-men dont hit there prime till a later age, but now his age is gonna be an excuse for his poor play ? 

This little piggy made his house of straw. 

On 9/7/2016 at 10:29 AM, J.R. said:

Landeskog. Forsberg, Backstrom, Nylander x2, Elias Lindholm, is a solid Forward group, Arvidsson, Burakovsky, Wennberg have looked really good early in their careers, not canada's top end level but they never have been deep teams,  Lots of smart hockey players that can make a team pay, even in 2014 their roster was nothing to brag about but still manage a Silver medal.  

Plus as you said, no team will be able to match their D.  OEL, Klingberg, Hedman, Karlsson, Lindholm and soon Liljegren and even Brännström

This is a great little pre-season tournament for the twins and Eriksson to gel a bit and hopefully it means they can sit out for a few more pre-season games to let the others play and jostle for roster spots. Maybe we play them in the final 2 pre-season games but this is essentially their pre-season.

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Landeskog. Forsberg, Backstrom, Nylander x2, Elias Lindholm, is a solid Forward group, Arvidsson, Burakovsky, Wennberg have looked really good early in their careers, not canada's top end level but they never have been deep teams,  Lots of smart hockey players that can make a team pay, even in 2014 their roster was nothing to brag about but still manage a Silver medal.  

Plus as you said, no team will be able to match their D.  OEL, Klingberg, Hedman, Karlsson, Lindholm and soon Liljegren and even Brännström

Underlined is pretty much my point. They've got some good players coming up at forward, I'm just not sure they have a ton of exceptional ones to replace the likes of the likes of the Sedins... but that can always change. 

I think we can all agree they're fine on D though :lol:

On September 10, 2016 at 11:41 AM, TheAce said:

Edler may be thirty but his back is 40

Archived