The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Bob Dailey

Tiger-Hearted

Very sad news....

Former Canucks defenceman and former first round draft pick Bob Dailey passed away today at the too young age of 63 after a long brave battle with cancer. Huge condolences, prayers and thoughts go out to Dailey's family, friends and his former teamates in both Vancouver and Philadelphia.  

For a team that has not drafted well, Bob Dailey was one of the few amazing young prospects that the Canucks had and gave up on too soon...I'd put him in the same camp as Derlago, Vaive, Fraser, Neely.  Dailey was one of those big, bad bruisers who could play the game.  Guy could do it all.  And a right hand shot to boot.  Can't believe that Dailey was only 63 years old.  May he rest in peace.

Sad to hear Big Bob has left us...great draft pick  and a very good player for us...as mentioned he was moved to Philly way to soon.

His trade to Philly brought us Jack McIlhargey and Larry Goodenough....I was a huge McIlhargey fan but when you look at the trade you wonder why it was even made..

RIP Bob.

49 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Sad to hear Big Bob has left us...great draft pick  and a very good player for us...as mentioned he was moved to Philly way to soon.

His trade to Philly brought us Jack McIlhargey and Larry Goodenough....I was a huge McIlhargey fan but when you look at the trade you wonder why it was even made..

RIP Bob.

Imagine if Dailey's injuries had not shortened his career. His trade to Philly would've haunted the Canucks even more. Imagine his presence on Vancouver's blue line against the Islanders in '82. Tower of strength in front of King Richard and a big shot from the point on the power play. Oh boy.

13 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Imagine if Dailey's injuries had not shortened his career. His trade to Philly would've haunted the Canucks even more. Imagine his presence on Vancouver's blue line against the Islanders in '82. Tower of strength in front of King Richard and a big shot from the point on the power play. Oh boy.

agreed...Philley got the mature Bob Dailey.

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

RIP Bob.

Canucks got badly fleeced on that trade...wonder who the brains were behind that move..?...RIP Bob Dailey.

43 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Canucks got badly fleeced on that trade...wonder who the brains were behind that move..?...RIP Bob Dailey.

Phil Maloney was coach and GM that year..until Kurtenbach replaced him as coach halfway through the season....I wonder what Maloney didnt like in a potential 6 foot 6 inch all star

12 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Phil Maloney was coach and GM that year..until Kurtenbach replaced him as coach halfway through the season....I wonder what Maloney didnt like in a potential 6 foot 6 inch all star

Phil Maloney was trying to get rid of big nasty defensemen. Jim Benning is trying to bring them in. That's the difference.  

Phil Maloney. Jack Gordon. Jim Benning is a godsend compared to these guys. 

53 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

39 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Phil Maloney was trying to get rid of big nasty defensemen. Jim Benning is trying to bring them in. That's the difference.  

Phil Maloney. Jack Gordon. Jim Benning is a godsend compared to these guys. 

Phil Maloney, aka. The Silver Fox, was an excellent coach and had ties with the WHL Canucks but was a horrible general manager. Too bad Jake Milford wasn't available to replace Bud Poile back in the early 70's. 

Archived