The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's Snubbing. Blessing in disguise?

hearditall

43 minutes ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Ok Internet people beating on my poor Alexander.  

1) He's been penalised internationally for hit knee hit on Eric Staal.

He's been given games for hitting Mike Smith behind the net.

He's been given games for hitting Thomas Hertl . 

After reviewing the footage I do not see him as a problem player , he's no Steve Downie here. 

Problem is if he goes in front of the player safety committee again.... expect some serious games. Meaning the Canucks lose from their top pairing and he loses money. Does he just go out and bang? Where's the incentive?

2) He's admitted to being banged up.

He's been on a team that for the better part of a decade hasn't had team toughness, push back or size.  

It's been hard on everyone, broken backs ruptured testicles and many broken bones. 

Arguably the guy playing the most minutes against the best would have taken the most abuse. Add the apprehension to the already beat up body and he's just supposed to go smash around? For what? So a few "fans" can be happy and he can't enjoy moving for the rest of his life?

He's been slower and as a result takes reaching penalties and loses he pick under pressure. BUT.

Where's the Fricken loyalty here?

Talking trades means asset management but calling the guy useless and weak , talking about messier nuts on his shoulder. Pfft.  

Let's not get ignorant.

I hope the time off has helped him rehab like no regular previous season has. Edler is one of the last core players who did everything to bring us presidents trophies and were dang close to Lord stanley.  It's been  a pleasure to watch.

I'm pulling for ya Edler.  Not like that lol.

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He's had back problems for years that have held him back. It's a shame because we'll never know how good he could have been.

Hopefully he's at least healthy enough to survive a full season. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see the hard hitting physical version of Edler again.

I totally agree, Edler was just getting up to cruzing altitude before that back injury. It completly stagnated his development and career in general. Which brings us to this thread. At Edlers age and back history what you have seen us about the best you're going to get. And it's unfortunate. 

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

More than anything, Edler needs to be both fit and healthy - he really looks like he limped into each season since the run to the final - after being a promising stud, since then he has looked lost, frail, lacking in confidence and vulnerable.  A longer preparation to get fit and the opportunity to get his head right might do wonders.  There was a time, not that long ago, when he was one of the most promising young D stars in the league - he has fallen miles since - maybe being snubbed will light a fire in his belly again.

Your being a bit harsh there lad, don't you think? Edler is a premium number 2 or 3 Dman. He's been thrust into the number one role and it's too much for him. Unfortunately he seems to be injury prone the last few years. Maybe that's a hidden reason why he's not on team Sweden, he's injured again? You would think the Sedins would want him on the team? Kinda weird if you ask me. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

OK thats enough of the Elder bashing. If you think he is "just not a good defenseman" than maybe you are on the wrong site, or maybe you didn't notice what happened to the teams winning percentage without him in the line-up last season (just say we were in the playoffs when he was playing and then...)  I know that expectations were too high after his best season, but a big, serviceable 30-35 point defenseman equals pretty darn good in this league right now.  And he's the best we've got.

I agree. But the thing is...out of the last 4 years Edler has only been healthy enough to eclipse the 30 point mark one time and just barely at 31 points. I believe he got 3 assists in the last game of the season to somewhat mask what was otherwise a pretty unimpressive year. The 3 other years he was only healthy long enough to score an average of 21.5 points. So while I agree on the value of said 30-35 point defender, Edler cannot be counted on to be that guy.

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Your being a bit harsh there lad, don't you think? Edler is a premium number 2 or 3 Dman. He's been thrust into the number one role and it's too much for him. Unfortunately he seems to be injury prone the last few years. Maybe that's a hidden reason why he's not on team Sweden, he's injured again? You would think the Sedins would want him on the team? Kinda weird if you ask me. 

If Edler is a premium #2 then what is Seabrook? What about Vlasic? Josi? The list goes on. Edler is a solid 3-4. Not premium, but solid.

It looks to me like Sweden is focusing on a younger defense, I don't see that as a snub at all.  Edler has admitted to a lingering injury and is a key part of our roster, I'm glad he's not there.  There is only one 30 plus year old on Sweden's D, I think it's just the changing of the guard.  No Lidstrom, no Kronwall, no Edler.  No big deal.  It's better for us.

17 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

If Edler is a premium #2 then what is Seabrook? What about Vlasic? Josi? The list goes on. Edler is a solid 3-4. Not premium, but solid.

Seabrook is a premium number 2. Vlasic is a number 1 or number 2. Josi is a number 1 in my eyes. Always loved his game. I think Juolevi could be our version of Josi. Edler is a number 2-3 in my eyes. When healthy he's a premium player at that position. 

3 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Which is why his contract was a huge mistake.  His back problems were well known at that time.  He has been in steady decline ever since.

This is garbage. Your saying he's overpaid? He's being played as a number 1 Dman and he's making 5 mill a year. Not a bad deal for the Canucks at all. 

46 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

It looks to me like Sweden is focusing on a younger defense, I don't see that as a snub at all.  Edler has admitted to a lingering injury and is a key part of our roster, I'm glad he's not there.  There is only one 30 plus year old on Sweden's D, I think it's just the changing of the guard.  No Lidstrom, no Kronwall, no Edler.  No big deal.  It's better for us.

And that one 30 plus year old is a 3 time Stanley Cup champ.

Definitely not a snub. Team Sweden has alot of great young defenders that were more deserving.

40 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Seabrook is a premium number 2. Vlasic is a number 1 or number 2. Josi is a number 1 in my eyes. Always loved his game. I think Juolevi could be our version of Josi. Edler is a number 2-3 in my eyes. When healthy he's a premium player at that position. 

I had Vlasic right beind Burns and Josi behind Weber/PK on Nashville's depth chart. It sucks when other teams have multiple dmen better than our best defenseman...

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree. But the thing is...out of the last 4 years Edler has only been healthy enough to eclipse the 30 point mark one time and just barely at 31 points. I believe he got 3 assists in the last game of the season to somewhat mask what was otherwise a pretty unimpressive year. The 3 other years he was only healthy long enough to score an average of 21.5 points. So while I agree on the value of said 30-35 point defender, Edler cannot be counted on to be that guy.

Season Team GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FOW%
2006-2007 VAN 22 1 2 3 3 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 10 10 0
2007-2008 VAN 75 8 12 20 6 42 4 10 0 0 0 0 124 6.5 100
2008-2009 VAN 80 10 27 37 11 54 5 21 0 0 1 0 145 6.9 100
2009-2010 VAN 76 5 37 42 0 40 2 19 0 0 0 0 161 3.1 0
2010-2011 VAN 51 8 25 33 13 24 5 17 0 0 1 0 121 6.6 0
2011-2012 VAN 82 11 38 49 0 34 5 22 1 1 0 0 228 4.8 0
2012-2013 VAN 45 8 14 22 -5 37 5 10 0 0 0 0 113 7.1 100
2013-2014 VAN 63 7 15 22 -39 50 4 12 0 0 0 0 178 3.9 66.67
2014-2015 VAN 74 8 23 31 13 54 5 14 0 0 2 1 175 4.

If you look at his stats the last couple years he managed to score his 30+ points while playing against the highest quality of competition....Torts played him wrong completely, that is well documented - and still managed to score 22 points in 63 games, the lock out year he scored at close to .5 points a game, which translates into 40 points, and prior to that his point production was at it's highest - 49, 33 in 51 games, 42 in 76 etc.

Maybe he is our new Salo lol.  Another thing to consider is his age.  MOST defenseman peak in their late twenty's and have some of their best production right up until their mid 30's sometimes further (ie Lidstrom, Campbell, McCabe...) so we may have not seen the best Edler has to offer yet (which would sure make most people on the CDC and fans estatic).  The only problem with that is once the Sedins retire the club is going to be looking at the lowest part of the next cycle...so for now, again, there is nothing wrong with a serviceable, big body, 30-35 point guy, especially in todays NHL. 

Let's hope we get a couple of 82 game seasons out of the guy...the club sure needs him.

Is it really a snub? Who even expected him to make the team?

Yeah a changing of the guard on the Swd blue line.

Always strikes me as  kinda stupid the talk about getting rid of Edler.    who do you replace him with at that price with that experience.  Veterans are good because they perform at a high level game in game out, 60 mins a game, don't get discouraged when the score is down and loose it if they loose a game they come back and perform again and again and again. Youngsters tend to get discouraged easily, try to compensate or fail to rally or turn up for the next game.....that's youth !! Edler is good value in todays game and bring the experience a head coach more than fans appreciate ! 

Due to the lack of depth on the Canucks, Edler has be the defacto #1D out of need. The reality he is best suited for a number 2-3 guy. The back injury has put a limit on how he can perform night in, night out. It also explains why at times he looks tentative out there. Not for a lack of will, but he's aware he's one major back surgery away from not playing anymore I don't hate him. Just like Kassian he's in a role on our team he's not suited for filling. Put him on any club as a 2nd line D-man he will excel. But put him into a #1 role without support, it's too much for the poor guy. Long term I leave that up to management. 

24 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Oh

i thought you were talking about Edler

No. I was referencing the summary of significant canucks injuries. Thing is about injuries is a broken bones garners a certain response.  People accept it's nature and severity.

Edler has some ailment ache or damage to his body. People scoff at him. He played all thru the  era with the injuries I referenced. 

I was making a case to help readers understand the likelihood and significance of cumulative damage. That some injuries can be harder to understand or accept, resulting in unfair player judgement and condemnation.

I don't see an issue with the wording to see that.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah a changing of the guard on the Swd blue line.

Always strikes me as  kinda stupid the talk about getting rid of Edler.    who do you replace him with at that price with that experience.  Veterans are good because they perform at a high level game in game out, 60 mins a game, don't get discouraged when the score is down and loose it if they loose a game they come back and perform again and again and again. Youngsters tend to get discouraged easily, try to compensate or fail to rally or turn up for the next game.....that's youth !! Edler is good value in todays game and bring the experience a head coach more than fans appreciate ! 

As I said Finland should have buried them despite the number of big names in the Swedish D. They looked all at sea at times and if anything you can have too much of the same kind of player at times in your D. For me a fit Edler with Karlsson would have worked better than OEL and Karlsson.

Archived