The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's Snubbing. Blessing in disguise?

hearditall

Very excited after reading the article on Gudbranson an Hutton in the paper this morning. Sounds like it'll be a great pairing. Canucks D is in really good shape.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

(excellent top 4)

Then they have Sbisa, Larsen, Tryamkin, Biega, Pedan and Stecher fighting for spots. Looks like our D and goaltending will keep us in games, hope the forwards can improve on the scoring this year.

On 27/09/2016 at 9:51 AM, komodo0921 said:

Just because he makes less than a few, still doesn't make it a good deal. Just means they under achieved too. It still remains that Edler is a defensive liability and, in my humble opinion, an expendable asset that we can use to improve other positions in our line up.

You can research the crap out of it but, at the end of the day, if he's not doing what he's being paid to do, he's gotta go. 

Another thing I'm looking at, is the changing of defensive strategy that seems to be taking place. Our blue line has become a much bigger blue line with emphasis on becoming more physical and defensively reliable. I'm liking this strategy but don't see Edler fitting it.

How did Edler fit tonight? Stretcher Edler 1st pairing???

On 9/27/2016 at 9:51 AM, komodo0921 said:

Just because he makes less than a few, still doesn't make it a good deal. Just means they under achieved too. It still remains that Edler is a defensive liability and, in my humble opinion, an expendable asset that we can use to improve other positions in our line up.

You can research the crap out of it but, at the end of the day, if he's not doing what he's being paid to do, he's gotta go. 

Another thing I'm looking at, is the changing of defensive strategy that seems to be taking place. Our blue line has become a much bigger blue line with emphasis on becoming more physical and defensively reliable. I'm liking this strategy but don't see Edler fitting it.

wrong

On 9/14/2016 at 1:03 PM, hearditall said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

Take a closer look at the list and you'll quickly realise that Edler's deal is not bad at all...

Com-parables:

T. Enstrom - 5.75 million

M. Niskanen - 5.75

A. Sekera  - 5.5

B. Orpik  - 5.5

D. Girardi  - 5.5

J. Petry  - 5.5

D. Wideman - 5.2

A. Macdonald - 5.0

D. DeKeyser  - 5.0

M. Methot  - 5.0

A. Edler  - 5.0

etc.

Edler looks more like a deal rather than an albatross, now that we have com-parables...

He is worth at least what the above are getting. 

Sometimes it pays to do a little research before we speak. Facts are better than personal thoughts.

I agree with what you are pointing out, Edler is not over paid.  I do think you could have used different example.  Most of the listed player are other teams albotros contracts.  NYR regets signing Girardi to that deal.  Calgary tried all last year to move Wideman.   A better example would have been to list what actually #1 players make.  Doughty, Subban, Weber, Ekblad type deals where the players are making 7-9 million.  Edler doesn’t make near as much as those players so we really can’t expect him to be performing at those #1 type levels.  On most teams Edler is making a #2 or #3 D salary and that’s what we get from him.  So there’s really no reason to complain about his contract.      

The only reason to ever think about moving Edler is at some point with all this youth coming in, he may become expendable.  That may be this year  (likely not that early), or the following two years.  But as for now, I know it’s only been one game in the preseason, but I really liked how Edler played.  He played hard to play against, he was throwing his weight around hitting players like he used to.  He was being creative with the puck  (that no look pass on the GWG was a thing of beauty).   

I think a lot of Edlers confidence is in part to Guddy coming in.  He’s taken some of the pressure off Edler and let him simplify the game.  Stecher even said Gudbranson was preaching at the start of the game to send a message that it’s Canucks are going to be a tough team to play against.   I hope we continue to see more of this “old style” Edler, that would go a long ways to us making the post season again. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But as for now, I know it’s only been one game in the preseason, but I really liked how Edler played.  He played hard to play against, he was throwing his weight around hitting players like he used to.  He was being creative with the puck  (that no look pass on the GWG was a thing of beauty).   

I think a lot of Edlers confidence is in part to Guddy coming in.  He’s taken some of the pressure off Edler and let him simplify the game.  Stecher even said Gudbranson was preaching at the start of the game to send a message that it’s Canucks are going to be a tough team to play against.   I hope we continue to see more of this “old style” Edler, that would go a long ways to us making the post season again. 

I know I risk being the broken record here but I've been saying this for years... 'Old Edler' never left, he merely hasn't had the team or partner around him to play to his natural game and has had to carry far too much of the top 4 weight on his shoulders. Look what an offensively dynamic partner and real top 4 depth did for his game last night.

And that was with a largely AHL forward group as well.

But man if Stetcher can keep this up.... I wouldn't mind a long look at him and Edler as a pair. Though that likely means moving Sbisa or losing depth.

Edler, Stetcher (2 way offense)

Hutton, Gudbranson (2 way offense)

Tryamkin, Tanev (shut down)

Pedan, Larsen

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I know I risk being the broken record here but I've been saying this for years... 'Old Edler' never left, he merely hasn't had the team or partner around him to play to his natural game and has had to carry far too much of the top 4 weight on his shoulders. Look what an offensively dynamic partner and real top 4 depth did for his game last night.

And that was with a largely AHL forward group as well.

But man if Stetcher can keep this up.... I wouldn't mind a long look at him and Edler as a pair. Though that likely means moving Sbisa or losing depth.

Edler, Stetcher (2 way offense)

Hutton, Gudbranson (2 way offense)

Tryamkin, Tanev (shut down)

Pedan, Larsen

The crazy part is three years no body had 6 of the 8 players you listed on their future roster projections.  And that's not even listing are top rated D prospect.

Even funnier was last year everyone was crying about Corrado being lost to waivers, but there is zero chance he would be making the canucks roster this year.

On 2016-09-28 at 10:47 PM, hearditall said:

How did Edler fit tonight? Stretcher Edler 1st pairing???

Good. Keep Stetcher, trade Edler.  I still think there are better, available, options for the long term future. To me, Edler having a good year just makes him a more valuable asset in a deal. I'm not bringing up Edler's name as a proposed trade in a, spur of the moment, thought. I've been low on him for a number of seasons now and think he's a player that could use a change of scenery and bring us a much needed return for another position.

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Good. Keep Stetcher, trade Edler.  I still think there are better, available, options for the long term future. To me, Edler having a good year just makes him a more valuable asset in a deal. I'm not bringing up Edler's name as a proposed trade in a, spur of the moment, thought. I've been low on him for a number of seasons now and think he's a player that could use a change of scenery and bring us a much needed return for another position.

FACT:  -Edler is STILL this season, OUR #1 D. He will play PP, PK & most minutes per game.

- There's a reason why Coaches/Management feel the same as above.

- He is rested & healthier going into this season than he's been in 4 yrs. 

- He is worth the $5 Million in the NHL today.

- That's the cost of a veteran proven D like Edler. 

- See above list and many more if U wish to do your own research...

Opinion:  - He is going to have much more support in all areas on D due to our depth & will benefit from this. 

- Gubranson's leadership style & overall depth will rub off on Edler as well.

- Expect a much improved season & back to 35-40+ pt. D-man.

- Yes if & when he does have a better season his value will rise. :shock: (FACT)

- Hopefully one day he or any player can bring us a bigger return via trade. eg. Horvat, Gubranson, Baer, Markstrom, etc.

- Snubbing or not, Edler is going to have a bounce back year. And that was my point when I started the thread.

:canucks::towel::canucks:

On 11/09/2016 at 7:04 PM, Davathor said:

On 11/09/2016 at 7:04 PM, Davathor said:

Edler just isn't that good - hes been potential for years now, and sadly just hasn't lived up to it. Not a snub, just not a good defenseman

Troy Stretcher : " Edler is just such a veteran presence out there & he helped me out a lot along the way & he was talking to me after every shift".

Right everyone, let's get rid of Edler....:picard: 

On 9/14/2016 at 6:00 AM, DinoTambo said:

There are a few things that really frustrate me about Alex Edler. The biggest being his NTC. 

I often get the same feeling about some idiots on CDC.

It seems to many of them that the only players worth a damn are either rookies who have shown sfa in the rough and tumble of the playoffs, or players who play for other teams.

I have to keep reminding myself that many of them don't even have the attention span to watch a full hockey game and the others live in a parallel universe where Torts is a great coach and Kassian is the new Wayne Gretzky.

Edler is a beast for this team and night after night has carried it on his shoulders, playing 25+ mins a night, often 3 games in 5 nights. And because he is our anchor and plays more minutes than any other D and because he has had to play with an ageing team or a team under rebuild, he has made mistakes. These of course, are what the idiots concentrate on and disregard the circumstances.

I wonder how long Keith or Doughty would look good for playing for this team under these conditions.

On 9/11/2016 at 2:30 PM, IbanezRG said:

I'm not sure Edler cares that much these days truth be told. 

maybe that is his problem. he just does not care which means he has no heart. we all know this because when was the last time you saw Edler defend any of his team mates or even clearing someone from the front of the net 

On 9/26/2016 at 1:51 PM, nux_win said:

You're not making much sense.  If you're proposing to "sell high" that would suggest that he is at peak performance, or at the very least performing well.  If he has value for another team, why doesn't he have value for us?  Don't you think that it helps that he at least wants to play for us?  I'm not the one suggesting he is in peak form, but perhaps good enough to help chip in on a more balanced D.  He may even surprise and have a bit of bounce back.  We don't need him to carry the D anymore, we just need a consistent contribution, which he is capable of.

the sell high comment was not referring to Edler being at his peak it was referring to not letting a player decline until they are worthless in trade. at this point some GM will over pay for edler so sell do let him retire here where we will end of with nothing. 

i disagree with your "consistent contribution"  comment . Edler is the least consistent D on the team. he plays good one game where he will throw a few hit and the next he is a turn over king that wont hit a fly.

he seems to have no heart as well because when have you ever seen him defend a team mate for any reason and when was the last time you say him play with emotion 

10 hours ago, Kokanee king said:

the sell high comment was not referring to Edler being at his peak it was referring to not letting a player decline until they are worthless in trade. at this point some GM will over pay for edler so sell do let him retire here where we will end of with nothing. 

i disagree with your "consistent contribution"  comment . Edler is the least consistent D on the team. he plays good one game where he will throw a few hit and the next he is a turn over king that wont hit a fly.

he seems to have no heart as well because when have you ever seen him defend a team mate for any reason and when was the last time you say him play with emotion 

We seem to be having some problem communicating here.  I didn't say he provides a consistent contribution, I said that is what we need from him.  It's just not in his nature to drop the gloves (and that's not necessarily what we need from him) but he does make some good solid open ice hits when he is settled in his game and not trying to carry the team.  He has already shown some small indications of a return to form, too early to tell for this year, but waay too early to write him off altogether.  GCG!

On September 30, 2016 at 9:08 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

That behind the back pass that Edler set up Stecher with was a thing of beauty.

I want more of that guy!!!

Edler looks like he's having fun. Slick passes and a couple heavy hits. Hope this guy sticks around. 

Honestly Edler looked really good last night. It would be nice if he and Stecher developed some chemistry on the PP for the 1st unit. and we could manage to hang on to Larsen for the 2nd PP, but if we can't Hutton could be a good option there too if Larsen can't make the cut. 

Archived