The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Royal Visit - Why are they royal?

JV77

Just now, JV77 said:

So if Canada is independent now, why is the queen still on our 20 dollar bill?  Why do new citizens or cops for an example say oath to "her majesty"? 

I don't know about you but i am born in Canada.  I am not British.  I am not French.  But according to you, we are British...

There is literally 0 point in responding to you because doing so would result in my suspension or banning because stupidity angers me

Pick up a history book, understand what we are/were in the commonwealth, examine exactly what the head of state and vassal states or statesmen are figure out when Confederation happened and then the Canada Act and finally once you understand all of that THEN you can come back and ask that question

Just now, Warhippy said:

There is literally 0 point in responding to you because doing so would result in my suspension or banning because stupidity angers me

Pick up a history book, understand what we are/were in the commonwealth, examine exactly what the head of state and vassal states or statesmen are figure out when Confederation happened and then the Canada Act and finally once you understand all of that THEN you can come back and ask that question

So you would probably just swear and throw insults....that doesn't mean make you right.

I'm asking the simple maybe even dumb questions, yet no one has an answer to it.  Dumb questions usually are the tough ones to answer.  

Were you educated in this country? Socials 9 through 11? Then you have already been taught the answer. Canada is a constitutional monarchy and the Queen is the head of state.

That's why officials of the government (i.e. police) and new citizens have to swear allegiance to her.

6 minutes ago, trek said:

Were you educated in this country? Socials 9 through 11? Then you have already been taught the answer. Canada is a constitutional monarchy and the Queen is the head of state.

That's why officials of the government (i.e. police) and new citizens have to swear allegiance to her.

He was born in Canada so apparently he's not British

12 minutes ago, JV77 said:

So you would probably just swear and throw insults....that doesn't mean make you right.

I'm asking the simple maybe even dumb questions, yet no one has an answer to it.  Dumb questions usually are the tough ones to answer.  

This is/was taught from grades 7 through 12 and in to post secondary education.  EVERYONE took it.  It is as easy as typing why is (insert topic here) still happening

I don't understand how this is difficult to understand.  I get offended when people start complaining about things without having the most basic understanding of the topic they are so passionately complaining about

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is/was taught from grades 7 through 12 and in to post secondary education.  EVERYONE took it.  It is as easy as typing why is (insert topic here) still happening

I don't understand how this is difficult to understand.  I get offended when people start complaining about things without having the most basic understanding of the topic they are so passionately complaining about

Dude thats why I'm asking the questions.  You clearly don'thave the basic understanding as you think you do because you still can't answer anything.

49 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Their family vacation to Canada is being paid by Canadian taxpayers!!

I'm sure they are paying to get there.  It's just that Canada has to pay for their protection and probably their lodging and domestic travel and other necessities.

The US spends much more than that on them when they visit and we kicked their army and ancestor's butts out of the country 240 years ago.

11 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Dude thats why I'm asking the questions.  You clearly don'thave the basic understanding as you think you do because you still can't answer anything.

41 minutes ago, JV77 said:

I answered some of your and others questions over 2 or 3 pages.  I hope you read them and that they were informative.

@JV77 this is how it is for me... i'm proud to be canadian because as a child 6 years old grade 1 ,1966 was a closer time to ww2 for the next few years i learned more, my father was conscripted at 18 in 1944 and was in edmonton for 10 months of training by the time he made it to england the war ended, much to his delight ,he didn't want anything to do with it ,he was lucky ,he never actually seen action. now your asking how does this relate?  canada being a commonwealth country was asked and tasked early on ,as well as australia. in both wars. without our contribution in both wars early on who knows.? if you could ask any british ,dutch french belgian ,polish person old enough to remember ,they would TELL you to be proud to be canadian,because anybody old enough to remember, they ARE proud of our contributions!  its all down, its part of "our history" i can explain it to you but i can't understand it for you, that parts on you.   to add to all that canadian pride we got the best dam hockey players on the planet!

7 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

As a Brit, the OP and some of the posters in here have made me chuckle no end.

HM The Queen and her family do more for our country than the 650 MPs we have in Parliament. They also do far more than the House of Lords. The monarchy has evolved from one with active powers, to a ceremonial position which is used to benefit the whole Commonwealth.

It astonishes me that so many posters on CDC have no idea of the rich history between Canada and the UK, of the UK's role in stopping Canada becoming 100% French (you're welcome, Western Canada), and of the UK's deeply-held respect for Canada throughout the country. There's a reason that royals such as William and Kate visit Canada - it is to celebrate those historic ties, to forge new ones, and to carry out charitable acts.

Anyone reading here would think they're coming over for a feast or 30, then swanning off to a private lake for a holiday. They're upholding a long-standing tradition of UK royals visiting Canada, doing good deeds and reminding everyone of our close relationship over the centuries. If that costs some overtime for a few hard-working RCMP officers, then surely that's a good thing?

Canada is part of the commonwealth, the Queen is still the head of state, and I think Canada has the strongest ties to the UK of any of the commonwealth countries, mainly due to the Royal family. 

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

I am trying to multi quote this but this stupid format won't let me.

You're initial post is in no way shape or form a question or discussion.

You call them all but useless and then compare the royal family/monarchy to ISIS

Numerous people have endeavored to explain who, how and why and you've literally ignored them all over 6 pages so far.

This shwos you are not interested in learning but instead ignoring.

I hope that you do in fact go back and read the cliff notes from canadian history while we continue to question how you were born in canada, and how you managed to grow up here without actually learning about canadian history when even the American in SabreFan1 either knew enough to post the facts or managed to use google to find them

Again, until you actually ask the questions or read the answers given post initial  rant I cannot in any way take you or this conversation seriously.

good day

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You call them all but useless and then compare the royal family/monarchy to ISIS

Numerous people have endeavored to explain who, how and why and you've literally ignored them all over 6 pages so far.

I hope that you do in fact go back and read the cliff notes from canadian history while we continue to question how you were born in canada, and how you managed to grow up here without actually learning about canadian history when even the American in SabreFan1 either knew enough to post the facts or managed to use google to find them

Again, until you actually ask the questions or read the answers given post initial  rant I cannot in any way take you or this conversation seriously.

good day

They are usless in 2016 imo.  You bow to them and put them above yourself and family.

I simply don't agree with that in this day and age.  

btw SabreFan1 is nice enough to respect different views/opinions and provided information.  You seem more keen on belittling and throwing insults to a person who has different views.  Says a lot about your character...

35 minutes ago, JV77 said:

They are usless in 2016 imo.  You bow to them and put them above yourself and family.

I simply don't agree with that in this day and age.  

btw SabreFan1 is nice enough to respect different views/opinions and provided information.  You seem more keen on belittling and throwing insults to a person who has different views.  Says a lot about your character...

Who is bowing to them?  How exactly are they useless?  Please explain your argument 

You don't HAVE to agree with that, you're not British you're Canadian.  They effect you not one bit.  You're obsessed with the Queens face being on our money, which is actually very strange.  Why does that matter to you at all?  Would you prefer Chad Kroeger maybe?  Avril Lavigne?  Beiber?  It's a face on a bill.  

As well, you speak of character yet...let me quote your very first opening post on this

" Ask yourselves, how did their family became "Royal" and rulers?  They stole, murdered, raped their way there, way back when.  How were they different than what ISIS is today?"

You compared them to ISIS...you posted no discussion, argument or point of view.  You just said basically they're useless, seem like ncie people but their ancestry is akin to ISIS.

You then carry on through 6 pages completely ignoring, not just asking questions but ignoring the answers as to why they are important, what role they serve in canadian history and politics but also every aspect of their involvement in canadian social issues and British social standings while continuing to ask the exact same questions.

You've had these "questions" answered over a dozen times in 6 pages.  Yet still ask them.  Why?

You can question my character all you want.  I owe you nothing, like at all.  My daughter asks me for answers to the same questions endlessly too.  She just turned 5.  but when I explain it to her she listens.

What's your excuse?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Who is bowing to them?  How exactly are they useless?  Please explain your argument 

You don't HAVE to agree with that, you're not British you're Canadian.  They effect you not one bit.  You're obsessed with the Queens face being on our money, which is actually very strange.  Why does that matter to you at all?  Would you prefer Chad Kroeger maybe?  Avril Lavigne?  Beiber?  It's a face on a bill.  

As well, you speak of character yet...let me quote your very first opening post on this

" Ask yourselves, how did their family became "Royal" and rulers?  They stole, murdered, raped their way there, way back when.  How were they different than what ISIS is today?"

You compared them to ISIS...you posted no discussion, argument or point of view.  You just said basically they're useless, seem like ncie people but their ancestry is akin to ISIS.

You then carry on through 6 pages completely ignoring, not just asking questions but ignoring the answers as to why they are important, what role they serve in canadian history and politics but also every aspect of their involvement in canadian social issues and British social standings while continuing to ask the exact same questions.

You've had these "questions" answered over a dozen times in 6 pages.  Yet still ask them.  Why?

You can question my character all you want.  I owe you nothing, like at all.  My daughter asks me for answers to the same questions endlessly too.  She just turned 5.  but when I explain it to her she listens.

What's your excuse?

End thread.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

@JV77 this is how it is for me... i'm proud to be canadian because as a child 6 years old grade 1 ,1966 was a closer time to ww2 for the next few years i learned more, my father was conscripted at 18 in 1944 and was in edmonton for 10 months of training by the time he made it to england the war ended, much to his delight ,he didn't want anything to do with it ,he was lucky ,he never actually seen action. now your asking how does this relate?  canada being a commonwealth country was asked and tasked early on ,as well as australia. in both wars. without our contribution in both wars early on who knows.? if you could ask any british ,dutch french belgian ,polish person old enough to remember ,they would TELL you to be proud to be canadian,because anybody old enough to remember, they ARE proud of our contributions!  its all down, its part of "our history" i can explain it to you but i can't understand it for you, that parts on you.   to add to all that canadian pride we got the best dam hockey players on the planet!

My grandfather fought on the front lines of WWII from the very beginning to the very end.  There's a reason people say they were the greatest generation of all time.  Proud of all those brave souls who fought to preserve our way of life and heritage.  We should all be very proud to be Canadian, and all that comes with it.  

8 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

My grandfather fought on the front lines of WWII from the very beginning to the very end.  There's a reason people say they were the greatest generation of all time.  Proud of all those brave souls who fought to preserve our way of life and heritage.  We should all be very proud to be Canadian, and all that comes with it.  

I'm out of plus's but your right , its kind of sad that some of the younger generation just don't get it , we've been the closest allie to great britain and owe our very existence to them.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

good day

People keep forgetting that I live on the US/Canada border and I'm 42 y.o.  I know quite a bit about Canada and it's history.  It also helps that I love reading about the War of 1812.  Also I grew up watching a couple Canadian OTA channels coming out of Toronto along with the 4 major US OTA channels.

I'm also a history buff and even though my major in University wasn't history, I devoured the history classes that I took as electives. 

Like I told a person in a DM, even though I was 8 when it happened, I still remember when Canada fully gained its independence from the UK and how proud all of the Canadians were at that year's annual Friendship Festival.  A bunch were strutting around like peacocks. :lol:

8 hours ago, JV77 said:

See, the trick is to answer it so someone like yourself would understand and accept the answer. That's the hard part.

8 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I answered some of your and others questions over 2 or 3 pages.  I hope you read them and that they were informative.

He's not about the answers, he's about engaging (maybe engorging?) the discussion. Like I said, he basically answered his own question in the OP, and he doesn't really have a clear point beyond that.

Archived