The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Royal Visit - Why are they royal?

JV77

39 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Like I said earlier, visiting dignitaries always come with ancillary costs.  BC residents are already excited and fawning over the visit and they aren't even there yet. Just relax and enjoy the visit from your overlords.  One day their faces will be on your money and you'll want as many pictures of them as you can get then.

I don't even dislike them, just bringing up the question.  I just find interesting in 2016 people are willing to bow to them and accept they are above them.  I'm all about equality. 

And another question why is the Queen on our 20 dollar?  People talk about our Canadian culture and identity, yet it is all based off the British...

wow just WOW

with out that family and what they rep we would all be living in the USA so why are they royal and why should we keep them is that reason right there it is part of Canada and will always be.I want to keep Canada and its history and if others do not care or do not want it there are other countries move!!!

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I kept reading only to see if this was posted. The OP basically asked a question then answered it in his own post. Not much left to discuss.

OP, if you really want to know more, go read some Shakespeare or something.

They're NOT "royal".  They are human beings like the rest of the population.  It's only the BELIEF in "royalty" existing that makes them appear special.  It goes with things like politics, authority, religion, government etc.  These things don't exist except for in the minds of people that believe in them. 

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

There was no Canada back then.  The only time that the local populace saw anything in that war was at Lundy's Lane when two inexperienced idiotic generals marched what was left of their troops that didn't drown in the Niagara River crossing straight into the very bottom of several hilly areas.

Half of the States back then refused to even send the federal government any militia to fight.  They didn't want to lose trading rights with Britain.

It's a good thing the smaller US Navy kicked the bigger British Navy's butt all over the place or Britain could have made an attempt at a land grab and SINCE I live on the border I would be a maple syrup sucking, moose humping pacifist.  THE HORROR!!! :lol::lol::lol:

You might also want to keep in mind that there was this guy named Napoleon who keep most of the British forces busy in Europe or the US would have been steamrolled

6 hours ago, JV77 said:

I don't even dislike them, just bringing up the question.  I just find interesting in 2016 people are willing to bow to them and accept they are above them.  I'm all about equality. 

And another question why is the Queen on our 20 dollar?  People talk about our Canadian culture and identity, yet it is all based off the British...

Bingo!

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

wow just WOW

with out that family and what they rep we would all be living in the USA so why are they royal and why should we keep them is that reason right there it is part of Canada and will always be.I want to keep Canada and its history and if others do not care or do not want it there are other countries move!!!

No. You can move to Britain instead. 

11 hours ago, JV77 said:

How did they successfully rise to these positions? What did they actually do?

Voted in by the people?

There's alternate theories as well that they are of the same bloodline of the Egyptian Pharos which isn't that far-fetched. I mean the American money shows this. The symbolism shows the merging of the Egyptian and Roman empires to create the monarchy and empires you see today. 

You also can't dismiss the fact that most monarchy in the world is blood related to eachother and even the bush's amongst other US presidents are as well. The chances of this happening by fluke are less than winning the lottery. Democracy is a myth. History is written by the winners so there'll never be 100% disclosure, but the place you'll never find it is in a history book.

As a Brit, the OP and some of the posters in here have made me chuckle no end.

HM The Queen and her family do more for our country than the 650 MPs we have in Parliament. They also do far more than the House of Lords. The monarchy has evolved from one with active powers, to a ceremonial position which is used to benefit the whole Commonwealth.

It astonishes me that so many posters on CDC have no idea of the rich history between Canada and the UK, of the UK's role in stopping Canada becoming 100% French (you're welcome, Western Canada), and of the UK's deeply-held respect for Canada throughout the country. There's a reason that royals such as William and Kate visit Canada - it is to celebrate those historic ties, to forge new ones, and to carry out charitable acts.

Anyone reading here would think they're coming over for a feast or 30, then swanning off to a private lake for a holiday. They're upholding a long-standing tradition of UK royals visiting Canada, doing good deeds and reminding everyone of our close relationship over the centuries. If that costs some overtime for a few hard-working RCMP officers, then surely that's a good thing?

Archived