The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

The being fat thing is really of no importance, other than health issue.  It's like smoking is really a disgusting habit, right?  But the real issue is the health thing.  Smokers are EXTREMELY unattractive, because they smell badly.  Now for the Canucks, I don't think we have a smoker on our team, do we?  Does Tryamkin smoke?  If anyone did I think it would be him.  And we don't have any fat players, that's for sure.  

I hear Tanev plays half the game with a smoke hanging out of his mouth.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Actually how does a team cope against a "4th line" of Burr - Horvat - Dorsett? If I had to defend against a 4th line like that I would be worried. That said, I doubt if Horvat is teamed with Burr and Dors on the 4th. It's just an experimentation imo.

It could also be just a set up.  Dorsett on the line till Rodin is back?

Burrows Bo Rodin actually has the bones of a good offensive, and defensive line...

8 hours ago, appleboy said:

Watching the preseason and waiver wire before the season started was eye opening. If you are building a team there is only one way to acquire any player with talent. We watched a ton of players get waived and not one player was worth grabbing. Not one was someone you would say could help you be better. Next year they are going to dilute the talent even more.

Note to Canucks ownership;

If you ever want to build a team that will bring this city a cup you must build through the draft. The only place to acquire talent of any note is through the draft.  If you want to land players to replace the twins then we will need to draft high!!!!  VERY HIGH

We had a chance to do that in the summer and of all the top 10 draft draft pics (not sure about Arizona at 7) those players all made their respective teams.

....and we pick a defenceman who doesn't look close to being ready to be a regular, nevermind a star.

t

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It could also be just a set up.  Dorsett on the line till Rodin is back?

Burrows Bo Rodin actually has the bones of a good offensive, and defensive line...

Burr will anchor that line.

and by anchor, i mean sink it.

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

We had a chance to do that in the summer and of all the top 10 draft draft pics (not sure about Arizona at 7) those players all made their respective teams.

....and we pick a defenceman who doesn't look close to being ready to be a regular, nevermind a star.

t

Ever heard of patience and development?

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

t

You see, your mentality is why the owners will not let a true rebuild happen. You want it now? 

It is why this team may never see a cup.

Just now, Jam126 said:

I've heard that this team "wants to stay competitive while also aspiring to make the playoffs every year"

This is what leaves people up in arms. They have to pick a side of the fence. Trying to be all things to all people is going to ensure one thing - failure. 

Lots of teams have tried this approach and it never works. It actually takes longer to get back to being something close to a contender.

8 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I've heard that this team "wants to stay competitive while also aspiring to make the playoffs every year"

This is what leaves people up in arms. They have to pick a side of the fence. Trying to be all things to all people is going to ensure one thing - failure. 

Lots of teams have tried this approach and it never works. It actually takes longer to get back to being something close to a contender.

The message this year is very clear.  WD explained that this year everyone is committed to making the playoffs.  He says it's going to require hard decisions like letting guys go (re Etem) but also having players possibly in different roles than they wanted. 

4 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

We should have picked a forward. 

How good do you think Tkachuk would have looked with Boeser next year? There's 2/3 of your next top line right there. Instead, we picked a defenceman who may or may not turn out to be the "star" management seems to be trying to convince everyone he will be.... while everyone around him in his draft class is in the NHL this year.

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Sharks were doing this type of thing last year, and they were 2 wins away from the cup.

This is one method of many, there is no right or wrong. And this is the route we're taking.

Just now, darkpoet said:

How good do you think Tkachuk would have looked with Boeser next year? There's 2/3 of your next top line right there. Instead, we picked a defenceman who may or may not turn out to be the "star" management seems to be trying to convince everyone he will be.... while everyone around him in his draft class is in the NHL this year.

I would rather have Juolevi than Tkachuk. Tkachuk's role is one of the easiest to acquire, and there's a lot more players I would rather have fill that role than Tkachuk. Juolevi fills a team need and has the potential to be a 1D. Plus, his role is way more valuable.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You see, your mentality is why the owners will not let a true rebuild happen. You want it now? 

It is why this team may never see a cup.

I'm not saying I want it now, or later.

I'm saying make up your freakin minds about which way you wanna get there.

I hope I'm wrong and this all works out somehow, but if history teaches you anything......

4 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Yes, because one of the younger players in the draft, in a position that notoriously takes longer to develop wasn't ready at barely 18, we should all join you in your :frantic:party...

4 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Sharks were doing this type of thing last year, and they were 2 wins away from the cup.

This is one method of many, there is no right or wrong. And this is the route we're taking.

There's more than one way to cook dinner..... but it'll take a lot longer if you go out for a smoke every 5 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Joulevi / Stecher on the powerplay ...next year...will make you forget all about Tkachwho....

gauzintight...

4 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I'm not saying I want it now, or later.

I'm saying make up your freakin minds about which way you wanna get there.

I hope I'm wrong and this all works out somehow, but if history teaches you anything......

explain.

You don't want to build through the draft?

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

You know, I sort of, kind of agree with you in a way.

Juolevi is going to be a very good D for years, but I think by discovering and signing Stecher and the urgency to replace the Sedins on the top llne, Tkachuk may have been a great pick. 

Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser = deadly

Hutton - Tanev

Gudbranson - Stecher

Tryamkin - Subban

Pedan

Brisebois

The D would still look pretty good, and they'd have an upcoming 1st line.

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

There's more than one way to cook dinner..... but it'll take a lot longer if you go out for a smoke every 5 minutes. 

That comparison is awful.

The Oilers are tanking and along with other teams aren't ready.

There's also teams like Boston who did the rebuild while being competitive and it was a success.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what method is used as long as it's done right.

Archived