The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I don't think the real rebuild will start until the twins contract runs out. If they had of come out and said they were going into a rebuild and moved the twins, fans would have moved on. It is a business and the fans in this city are fickle. So we get a slow rebuild until their contract is up. Benning has done a good job so far but can he replace the Sedin's without this club hitting rock bottom for a few years?

Yet to be seen.

If we move the twins, which team is going to take on 14 million in salary for both of them? Their nmc's mean that they probably won't want to play on different teams. Which team loading up for the cup has that much cap?

The only way to go about this is draft gems and find diamonds in the rough and when they retire we have a lot of cap space off the books for free agents or raises to younger players.

18 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

If we move the twins, which team is going to take on 14 million in salary for both of them? Their nmc's mean that they probably won't want to play on different teams. Which team loading up for the cup has that much cap?

The only way to go about this is draft gems and find diamonds in the rough and when they retire we have a lot of cap space off the books for free agents or raises to younger players.

They could of had a little more long term foresight at the end of last year though. The same should go for this year. Once it is clear that this team is out of the race why not let things slide? 

Just now, appleboy said:

They could of had a little more long term foresight at the end of last year though. The same should go for this year. Once it is clear that this team is out of the race why not let things slide? 

And trade away guys at the friggin TDL for assets (picks) We really are doing a piss poor job of rebuilding.  Just look at these other rebuilding teams.  They have several YOUNG elite skilled guys.  We really have none.  

21 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The problem is not Hank and Danny.  Both of them have earned their paycheques   The problem is our clubs failure to draft and develop high level talent the last 10 years......

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

The problem is not Hank and Danny.  Both of them have earned their paycheques   The problem is our clubs failure to draft and develop high level talent the last 10 years......

The last three have been much better. The twins are well worth their 14mil and have been a joy to watch.

41 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The last three have been much better. The twins are well worth their 14mil and have been a joy to watch.

that remains to be seen.. other than Bo Horvat who's looking legit.. everything the last 3 years are just potential.. nothing translated to the NHL yet.. i mean all our picks in the last 10 years are potentials.. how many worked out

49 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

That's more on Gillis trading our picks and prospects away for scraps. Benning is slowly starting to restock.

5 minutes ago, Qwags said:

That's more on Gillis trading our picks and prospects away for scraps. Benning is slowly starting to restock.

Easy to be high on our picks when local media over hypes everything Canuck.

Reality is that they are all just prospects at this point.   Remember what a prospect Cody H  was when he arrived at our club......

Remember the 2009 world jr - WoW  canucks looked like gold with   Cody H ( canada )  and  Jordan S ( usa ) 

Top 10 scorers[edit]

Pos Player Country GP G A Pts +/- PIM
1 Cody Hodgson 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 6 5 11 16 +8 2
2 John Tavares 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 6 8 7 15 +7 0
3 Jordan Eberle 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 6 6 7 13 +9 2
4 Nikita Filatov 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 7 8 3 11 +3 6
5 Tomáš Tatar 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png Slovakia 7 7 4 11 -2 4
6 Jordan Schroeder 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 6 3 8 11 +1 2

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Reality is that they are all just prospects at this point.   Remember what a prospect Cody H  was when he arrived at our club......

Remember the 2009 world jr - WoW  canucks looked like gold with   Cody H ( canada )  and  Jordan S ( usa ) 

Top 10 scorers[edit]

Pos Player Country GP G A Pts +/- PIM
1 Cody Hodgson 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 6 5 11 16 +8 2
2 John Tavares 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 6 8 7 15 +7 0
3 Jordan Eberle 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 6 6 7 13 +9 2
4 Nikita Filatov 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 7 8 3 11 +3 6
5 Tomáš Tatar 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png Slovakia 7 7 4 11 -2 4
6 Jordan Schroeder 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 6 3 8 11 +1 2

Pretty hard to not hype up players on that list though.. interesting that of 3 players without successful NHL careers, 2 were drafted by Gillis..

Also, I guess it's a good thing Virtanen didn't put up points in the WJC then :lol:

If you actually look at the last 10 years of the Canucks drafting it's horrific, it'll drive you insane with the shoulda coulda woulda but it's still is astonishing how many misses they have had and that's why we're gonna be hard pressed for top line talent for the next few years

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nobody here is being unrealistic.  There is hope for the future but we all know that draft picks are hit and miss.  Except for maybe the top 40 picks, it's mostly miss.

Everybody knows that the cupboard was bare after the cup run in 2011.  Gillis thought he had another shot at it in 2012 but after that, he began to divert more time to drafting and developing.  They began looking for an AHL franchise to purchase which was completed in March 2013 to improve development.  In 2012, Gaunce was taken in the 1st round, and Hutton in the 5th but they still only had 5 picks that year.  In 2013, Gillis had a full slate of 7 picks thanks to the trade of Schneider for the 9th OA (Horvat) and 24 OA (Shinkaruk).  

Then came Benning.  We all know his drafting but he also saw the need to try to make up for the lack of prospects in their early 20's.  Benning also got the scouting staff (and the whole team) on the same page with his vision of the type of team and players that he wanted.  Obviously, Benning wasn't going to get much top end talent in their early 20's with the assets he had to move but he was able to bring in some guys who had good character and some of the attributes that he was after because at that age, they were that much further along in their development.  Many of these player had played previously on teams that Benning and Dejardins had been involved with because they knew them well.  Obviously, Bartkowski, Vey, and Kennins didn't work out but Miller came as advertised and Baertschi looks good and I have no doubt about Eriksson.

Some of these guys are bridge players because we all know that the real improvement of the team is going to come as the younger players (mostly Canuck draft picks 2012 and later) mature and start to become effective NHLers.  As depth improves, and it is much better, Benning will also have players to trade.  Changes come slowly in the beginning but they will begin to snow ball.  

There's nothing wrong with loving your prospects.  As long as people know that many of them won't make it

23 hours ago, Apricot said:

First of all, no one should be allowed to say something like that. Second of all, it wasn't just a joke regarding weight. His words were, "the bottom line won't be pretty no matter what you do with it. Its like putting makeup on a fat chick." He basically said that all big girls aren't pretty, that they will never be pretty.  He or anybody else, men or women, should not be saying these things. Its certainly not a joke. Imagine being a big girl and reading something like that, it would hurt wouldn't it? The words "fat chicks" is hurtful enough. Its not okay that he said it, its not okay that you, and/or some other people think what he said is okay. 

I don't think it was "ok" but come one, this is the internet. You are going to get mean comments like that every once in a while. Its best to just ignore it and not blow it up into a huge issue. If everybody just ignored his comment then less people would see it. This is a hockey forum, not a forum geared towards defining what is beautiful.

I'm so sorry about your friend, that is really sad. I'm sorry if I came across as aggressive. I just am a firm believer of free speech as well as not a fan of how sensitive society is becoming in general. This just seems to be another example. 

That was an epic opening night but I know that our games won't resemble them at all.  Can I get excited about 2-1 OT wins?  I hope so.

I hate that in this draft and last almost every Canadian team picked a player that is going to bring excitement and intrigue to their team with the exception of Calgary.  Jesse P scores tonight.  Laine will be good.  We all saw what Matthews got!  I have way too much anticipation for Boeser.  He has to pan out for us or we are hooped.  

I can take solace in the fact that Matt T for Calgary might be too slow to have an impactful NHL career (glad we passed on him) and the fact that Edm have to pay Lucic for 7 yesrs.  'They are going to regret that signing!!!  He looks slow 

In some ways I can understand why we took this route "re-tooling" if you will.  Hopefully we will have a very good supporting cast of young players locked up for if and when we do obtain some high end skill through the draft to replace the Sedins.  If you look at the other rebuild teams edmonton, buffalo, calgary, toronto etc. their superstars will or have already come out of their entry level deals and are making top end money and they are still bubble teams or worse when it comes being a playoff team.  They will continue to have a perpetual revolving door when it comes to their supporting cast as they wont be able to keep some of their younger players because their superstars are taking up such a large proportion of their cap, so they will be replaced with journeymen NHLers or older veteran players.  Now this all depends on cap management/trades etc.  TO can be all giddy now but wait until they have to re-up Matthews, Marner, Nylander etc. will they even have a playoff contender/cup contender by then?  They are basically wasting their ELC years to provide the fan base some excitement.  Edmonton is basically in it now seeing as McDavid is in his second year of ELC.  They've already traded Hall and Yakupov, but I suspect they will have to deal one of RNH/Eberle so they can keep/build a supporting cast around McDavid.  If Draisaitl shows he can play second line centre minutes then RNH is good as gone.

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

that remains to be seen.. other than Bo Horvat who's looking legit.. everything the last 3 years are just potential.. nothing translated to the NHL yet.. i mean all our picks in the last 10 years are potentials.. how many worked out

Boeser is about as much of a slam dunk as you can get without the guarantee. I predict he will be better than Bo. Also Demko will be a stud and Juolevi could be special. 

On 10/12/2016 at 0:10 PM, billabong said:

sedin-sedin-eriksson

rodin-sutter-virtanen

baertschi-horvat-hansen

Granlund-gaunce-dorsett

burrows

edler-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

sbisa-larsen

tryamkin-biega

It will be this before long. Once Rodin is healthy, skille will get sent down and boom all is well

I kinda want to see them try this when rodin comes back:

sedin-sedin-eriksson

rodin-horvat-sutter

baertschi-granlund-virtanen

skille-gaunce-hansen

dorsett

make an injury so burrows can be on IR...

Archived