The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Same problem persists

captaincowbasher

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Every player you mentioned is either a 3rd liner on a contender or fringe NHLer. For any of those players you mentioned to become legit top 6 forwards they must exceed expectations especially guys like Etem. I'm not saying that's impossible but expecting more is nothing more than hope getting out of control. Hansen is about as close as it gets to a proven top 6 forward outside of the top line. 

You clearly didn't read the entire post. @J.R.

4 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

I'm sick and tired of listening to team 1040, perpetuate how important it is that the Defence needs to be strong for the club to make the playoffs. That's an obvious point, but is it possible the team (Benning and Co.) have steered this point with team 1040(knowing it is better) to divert from the real issue at hand, They have NO second line. They failed miserably in getting that second top six forward in Free Agency, and have yet been able to deal for one. Just to jog everyone's memory this has been going on for 5 years now. Talk about neglecting the Sedins, heave everything on their shoulders and hope they don't get banged up...Look at the perceived top 16 teams, everyone has a legit 2 lines, so what's the true message management is trying to convey- we are to scarred to make a big deal for a legit top 6 guy because         ? you fill in the blanks

We're like any re-building team. 

We'll improve, on the 2knd line and elsewhere, when we get a strong enough push from our prospect pool.  Jake and Baer look like "real good" chances to cement themselves at that level this year.

Rodin has the talent & Jake the physical tools to be the wildcard third man in?  Boeser on the horizon. Etem was a money ball attempt. With Hansen at least able to carry the lunch bucket for the short term until someone wins the spot.

Sometimes you just got to be a little patient!  :frantic:

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Oh I read it.

I don't know why you sit in the bushes waiting for something you can pry out of context to hit me over the head with. You Obviously saw that 1st line and was like "I'm going to make LaBamba Pay!!!!! Without reading the entire post. Cool your jets man. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

I don't know why you sit in the bushes waiting for something you can pry out of context to hit me over the head with. You Obviously saw that 1st line and was like "I'm going to make LaBamba Pay!!!!! Without reading the entire post. Cool your jets man. 

Nope.

5 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

I'm sick and tired of listening to team 1040, perpetuate how important it is that the Defence needs to be strong for the club to make the playoffs. That's an obvious point, but is it possible the team (Benning and Co.) have steered this point with team 1040(knowing it is better) to divert from the real issue at hand, They have NO second line. They failed miserably in getting that second top six forward in Free Agency, and have yet been able to deal for one. Just to jog everyone's memory this has been going on for 5 years now. Talk about neglecting the Sedins, heave everything on their shoulders and hope they don't get banged up...Look at the perceived top 16 teams, everyone has a legit 2 lines, so what's the true message management is trying to convey- we are to scarred to make a big deal for a legit top 6 guy because         ? you fill in the blanks

Horvat and Rodin with either Baerstchi or Virtanen or Gaunce or Hansen will score enough to be at least an average scoring second line...plus they can all play great D. ( except Jake).

Add to that what used to be a 2nd line in the NHL ...a shutdown line of Sutter, Hansen and either Burrows, Gaunce or Rodin will score and shutdown other lines as a top 5 (in the NHL) 3rd line.

We are playoff bound...stop whinning....start watching us win.

....sick and tired of being sick and tired of you sick and tired people...wake up and smell the rosey wins....

I am really curious to see how the Sedins Edler and Erikson throw Rodin under their wing. We could have the makings of our next Swedish star there. Heck the Canucks mgmt almost waived Naslund before he broke out. I'll try to temper my expectations but they don't just hand out those golden helmets to anyone as I understand it. It's the mvp voted on by the players of the SHL which is a very tough 2 way league. 

Capt,

Secondary scoring is a potential Achilles heal this year if two players don't emerge to make an impact this season. Horvat and one of Rodin/Baer.  We need two of the above to score 20g a piece. Also Sutter is healthy and provided he can give us 70ish games he should be good for around 20g as well.

Tada, secondary scoring. 

We have the guys we got for now, until a trade breaks. Not a top 5 team by any stretch, but I think that secondary scoring won't be as bad as last season. 

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't know how you can call a 6 years at 6 million Erkisson a "fail at miserably getting that second top six forward in Free Ageny" 

What were you expecting them to sign Eriksson and Lucic?

Canucks have scoring depth.  A healthy Sutter, A bigger role for Horvat and confident sven Baertschi are all capable of scoring 20 goals.  Rodin has fit right in and looks like he could score 12-15 goals. 

Your kidding right... Eriksson is the 1st liner that the Sedins(team) has never had, it took them 10 years to put a legit 35 goal scorer with them. Thanks JB for at the very least doing that. 

5 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

What do you consider a 2nd liner?  In today's NHL that is a guy who can pot 17-25 goals and get 40-50 pts.  

Guys who fit this mold: 

Hansen

Sutter

Bo

Bear

Rodin

*if by some miracle Burrows gets back to form....

Will it be the best 2nd line in the NHL? No but it is a good starting point.  

Just wrong...in every way.

Keeping the puck out of our own net......our own end and being able to move the puck up the ice is probably just as valuable to the twins as a strong second line. 

So we are half way there.

With miller and burrows coming off the books next year maybe we can take a serious stab at a ufa 2nd liner next year without giving up assets. 

Who is available next year? 

Maybe ill go have a look. 

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

As much as everyone hates to admit it Ryan Kesler's departure has left the biggest hole on our team. His Faceoff ability, his elite defensive skill set have been sorrily missed. We have a replacement fermenting in Bo Horvat, but until he fully develops into that role we will continue to play with an underpar 2nd line. The uncertainty down the middle amplifies our need at wing. People underestimate the need for quality skill and size in the top 6, we are lacking both. Rodin looks good but we have to remember that this is the preseason. I'm not fully convinced he will be able to produce at a consistent level through 82 games. He will be forced to play against high end competition, hopefully he can handle the load. 

Finally, someone with sense

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm always suspicious of hit and run threads that have no followup or rebuttal posts when people offer their thoughts.  Hmm.

With that, we can't pinpoint glaring holes until such time that we've had a chance to really assess what we have here.  We don't want to sell our souls and the future for an overpaid 'proven' performer who can "save" us.  We want to build a young, solid "team" of performers.  Not sure how people can be complaining at this stage - it's exciting hockey with some speed, skill and talent in a mix of players, not a concentrated, individual thing that focuses on some"one".  Patience is required..we're a (constant) work in progress, not a finished product.

I'd also disagree with the "same ol" problem angle.  Our problem in the recent past has been a combination of things (mostly injury and depth related).  2011 set the stage for a turning point/downturn.  You go through a season and lose like that and it takes a toll - I've said it before.  We were depleted....beat up and torn apart after that.  Decimated. Hard to just regroup and rise to that level of emotion and compete again...especially while you're still licking your wounds and wondering what the hell happened after being blindsided.  It was a full on mental AND physical edge that was lost.

We needed to close that chapter and move on....the changes we've seen are part of that.  And we need to give it a chance and support our team, not throw in the towel before the season even starts.

Captain basher....care to respond to anyone?

Firstly, this is not a hit and run thread...

Secondly, you can say let's wait and see what we have...lol  they've been saying that for years but JB made it very clear he wanted (2) top six forwards, he's see's the problem to but he's going to have to give up a player like Tanev and !st to get said top 6 player and the concern will be for JB that that move could put him out on the firing range. GM's have to take risks if they want to swing teams back into contention.

Thirdly, you said it yourself our problem has been injuries and depth... thanks for helping me make my point. No real second line and guess what- No Winning.

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Keeping the puck out of our own net......our own end and being able to move the puck up the ice is probably just as valuable to the twins as a strong second line. 

So we are half way there.

With miller and burrows coming off the books next year maybe we can take a serious stab at a ufa 2nd liner next year without giving up assets. 

Who is available next year? 

Maybe ill go have a look. 

Slim pickens imo for second line talent. Hey bonino is a ufa. Cake and eat it too?

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Horvat and Rodin with either Baerstchi or Virtanen or Gaunce or Hansen will score enough to be at least an average scoring second line...plus they can all play great D. ( except Jake).

Add to that what used to be a 2nd line in the NHL ...a shutdown line of Sutter, Hansen and either Burrows, Gaunce or Rodin will score and shutdown other lines as a top 5 (in the NHL) 3rd line.

We are playoff bound...stop whinning....start watching us win.

....sick and tired of being sick and tired of you sick and tired people...wake up and smell the rosey wins....

nice recant, please don't call yourself a true fan. If losing is your thing that's ok I won't judge.

Archived