The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BENNING ON 1040 OCTOBER 7TH

AlwaysACanuckFan

The more different looks we can give the Sedin line the better. As soon as they become predictable that's when they're shut down.

I'd like to see them rotate Eriksson, Hansen, Sutter, Burrows, and even Rodin on their line throughout the season.

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Agreed. Don't think we have to worry about Markstrom though as he is the 1 goalie we will protect.

We have to expose a goalie and Miller is a UFA at the end of the season. Actually I just checked and Bachman would qualify as our exposed goalie. I thought he was a ufa at the end of this season as well but they signed him to a one year extension this summer. Smart move.

Personally I think there's guys we have to worry about more than Hansen. If Tryamkin plays 40+ games he will be exposed. If Rodin and/or Gaunce play 40+ games and we qualify them they'll be exposed. If we don't qualify them they become ufa's. Pedan would fall into this category as well but I don't see much chance of him getting in 40 NHL games.

Coming out of the gate you front load the Sedins with Eriksson to get some early scoring production and team momentum. The second line are your next generation first liners with the hopes they can produce to promote themselves for the immediate future. My guess the second line will be Baertschi, Horvat and take your pick....

When your first line has a combined age  of over 100   you had better start to have a plan B for when anyone of them goes down.

The Sedins have been warrior over the years. They have been repeatedly run as our club chose to not protect them properly....

Hank and Danny have played through multiple injuries and always toughed it out.

Now they are getting on in years  so  likely will need a few games off for recovery. We will need to explore other players that can slot into our top line in all 3 spots.

That will just be prudent wise coaching and proper player management by not burning out Hank and Danny.

We gotta face the fact that Hank and Danny are human and injuries will start taking a bit long to recover from.

I wish we had Pedan on the club  to set the tone if anyone wants to run Hank and Danny this year.  It is getting tiring watching Dorsett step up and get punched out.

Dorset does not seem to much of a deterrent  to other clubs for running our top line. 

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

When your first line has a combined age  of over 100   you had better start to have a plan B for when anyone of them goes down.

The Sedins have been warrior over the years. They have been repeatedly run as our club chose to not protect them properly....

Hank and Danny have played through multiple injuries and always toughed it out.

Now they are getting on in years  so  likely will need a few games off for recovery. We will need to explore other players that can slot into our top line in all 3 spots.

That will just be prudent wise coaching and proper player management by not burning out Hank and Danny.

We gotta face the fact that Hank and Danny are human and injuries will start taking a bit long to recover from.

I wish we had Pedan on the club  to set the tone if anyone wants to run Hank and Danny this year.  It is getting tiring watching Dorsett step up and get punched out.

Dorset does not seem to much of a deterrent  to other clubs for running our top line. 

Gudbranson will set the tone with Dorsett. As will Skille. And Tryamkin. And Sbisa (if things get desperate).

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson will set the tone with Dorsett. As will Skille. And Tryamkin. And Sbisa (if things get desperate).

Dorset doesn't hold teams accountable. Not big enough. 

Huddy is too valuable to our club.

Tryamkin - well we just don't know yet what he brings in that area. Maybe  .

Skille - big kid.  Hasn't been a goon as he was in NCAA. Will he even make our club this year.. ?

Sbisa - i like it when he steps up. Agree he is a good loyal guy. Doesn't pick his spots. 

Pedan is the X factor.    Guy seems to be willing to fill that role. Big  / strong and keen. 

58 minutes ago, Baggins said:

If Tryamkin plays 40+ games he will be exposed. If Rodin and/or Gaunce play 40+ games and we qualify them they'll be exposed. If we don't qualify them they become ufa's. Pedan would fall into this category as well but I don't see much chance of him getting in 40 NHL games.

Actually I don't think thats the case, at least according to the General Fanager expansion tool. 1st and 2nd year guys are exempt so I think thats why Tryamkin is in the protected list for our guys: http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Actually I don't think thats the case, at least according to the General Fanager expansion tool. 1st and 2nd year guys are exempt so I think thats why Tryamkin is in the protected list for our guys: http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

According to the regs on NHL.com....

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

AHL, KHL and SEL are all professional leagues. So I don't believe those players will be exempt if they play 40+ NHL games this season.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

We have to expose a goalie and Miller is a UFA at the end of the season. Actually I just checked and Bachman would qualify as our exposed goalie. I thought he was a ufa at the end of this season as well but they signed him to a one year extension this summer. Smart move.

Personally I think there's guys we have to worry about more than Hansen. If Tryamkin plays 40+ games he will be exposed. If Rodin and/or Gaunce play 40+ games and we qualify them they'll be exposed. If we don't qualify them they become ufa's. Pedan would fall into this category as well but I don't see much chance of him getting in 40 NHL games.

I hope we don't expose Rodin or Gaunce. They have the potential to be stars for our team and the league in the future. I'd rather expose Pizza and other scraps we may have than them

20 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I hope we don't expose Rodin or Gaunce. They have the potential to be stars for our team and the league in the future. I'd rather expose Pizza and other scraps we may have than them

LOLWUT? Rodin would be a stretch (possible but not probable) and Gaunce could be a mediocre to good player at best.

Honestly and realistically, this team has likely not drafted its next superstar yet. Hell, I'd be surprised if that superstar is even playing bantam hockey yet. Thats the hard truth we've got to accept.

31 minutes ago, Baggins said:

According to the regs on NHL.com....

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

AHL, KHL and SEL are all professional leagues. So I don't believe those players will be exempt if they play 40+ NHL games this season.

Ultimately the Canucks will lose one decent player in the expansion draft. That is the point of the draft. Maybe that player is Sbisa, maybe Gaunce, maybe Tryamkin, Maybe it turns out to be Larsen or Rodin, etc. but somebody will go, as is also true of every other team in the NHL. Things are actually easier for the Canucks than for most teams because I think the guys they need to protect are pretty obvious. They just need to make sure they enough guys who have played enough in the NHL so they count as unprotected players in the draft. 

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Rodin needs to play 80 NHL games to remain an RFA.  With his knee it sounds now unlikely so he will be a UFA by the end of the year and not an RFA.  Same situation as Kenins last year.  It would be wiser to sign him to an extension after the expansion draft so that he does not need to be on the list of protected assets.  

Tryamkin is automatically exempt and cannot be exposed.  To be counted as pro-years - the player must have been signed to an NHL contract and this would be only his 2nd pro year.  

The 40 game requirement doesn't intervene in the definition of who is exempt and who is not.  For example even if Gaunce only plays 1 NHL game this year - he is still exposed but he simply does not qualify as one of the two Fs (and 1 D) with more than 40NHL games that needs to be exposed (or 70 NHL games over two seasons).  The Canucks will need to expose another F that meets these requirements.

On D - it sounds like Biega or Sbisa will be that player but both would still be exposed, as well as Pedan even if he spends the whole season in the AHL.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

With the logjam in the bottom 6, I don't see Tryamkin playing more than 40 unless there are injuries.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Man, that's scary... having to possibly expose any one of Tryamkin, Rodin, or Gaunce.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Rodin needs to play 80 NHL games to remain an RFA.  With his knee it sounds now unlikely so he will be a UFA by the end of the year and not an RFA.  Same situation as Kenins last year.  It would be wiser to sign him to an extension after the expansion draft so that he does not need to be on the list of protected assets.  

Tryamkin is automatically exempt and cannot be exposed.

Actually you're right about Rodin age versus NHL games.

Tryamkin on the other hand has four professional seasons in the KHL. So unless they don't consider the KHL a pro league he's not exempt as a first or second year professional. He's only exempt if he plays fewer than 40 NHL games this season.

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

From my understanding the players have to have more than 2 years in a pro league while signed to their team. Tryamkin played 1 year khl while signed wit us this will be his 2nd year pro while signed with us. That's what I think anyways. 

I'm not sure that's how it works. Or nylander would need to be protected for Toronto. I think it's probably north American seasons. Could be wrong.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Actually you're right about Rodin age versus NHL games.

Tryamkin on the other hand has four professional seasons in the KHL. So unless they don't consider the KHL a pro league he's not exempt as a first or second year professional. He's only exempt if he plays fewer than 40 NHL games this season.

The KHL years don't count because he was not signed to an ELC.  

Also the 40 games has not effect on exemption.  A player like Pedan will be exposed regardless of how many games he plays this year.  Expansion rules simply require that among the players exposed there are at least 2 Fs and 1D who have played 40 NHL games (or 70 over 2 seasons).  

Archived