The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 Expansion Draft - early predictions

canucks411

After reading the TSN article about trading Ben Bishop ahead of next year expansion draft, I was curious about what the Canucks when it comes time to make a decision on who to protect.

Per the rules teams have 2 options in regards to protecting:

A ) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

B ) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

I am assuming, the canucks would exercise option A.

Who do they protect?

Sedin, Daniel 7.000 180.0 7.000 7.000 7.000 UFA        
Sedin, Henrik 7.000 180.0 7.000 7.000 7.000 UFA        
Eriksson, Loui 6.000 180.0 6.000 8.000 8.000 7.000 5.000 4.000    
Burrows, Alexandre 4.500 180.0 4.500 3.000 UFA          
Sutter, Brandon 4.375 180.0 4.375 4.250 4.250 4.375 4.500 4.500    
Dorsett, Derek 2.650 180.0 2.650 2.500 2.500 2.500 UFA      
Hansen, Jannik 2.500 180.0 2.500 3.000 3.000 UFA        
Baertschi, Sven 1.850 180.0 1.850 1.700 2.000 RFA        
Horvat, Bo 1.744 180.0 1.744 0.833 RFA       0.850  
Virtanen, Jake 1.744 180.0 1.744 0.925 0.833 RFA     0.850  
Gaunce, Brendan 1.026 180.0 1.026 0.833 RFA       0.163  
Rodin, Anton 0.950 180.0 0.950 0.950 RFA          
Granlund, Markus 0.900 180.0 0.900 0.850 0.950 RFA        
Skille, Jack 0.700 179.0 0.696 0.700 UFA          
Megna, Jayson 0.600 168.0 0.560 0.600 UFA          
Defencemen 21.038  
Edler, Alexander 5.000 180.0 5.000 6.000 6.000 4.500 UFA      
Tanev, Christopher 4.450 180.0 4.450 3.500 5.000 5.000 5.250 UFA    
Sbisa, Luca 3.600 180.0 3.600 3.600 4.000 UFA        
Gudbranson, Erik 3.500 180.0 3.500 3.500 RFA          
Larsen, Philip 1.025 180.0 1.025 1.025 UFA          
Hutton, Ben 0.925 180.0 0.925 0.925 RFA          
Tryamkin, Nikita 0.925 180.0 0.925 0.925 RFA          
Stecher, Troy 0.925 168.0 0.863 0.925 0.925 RFA        
Biega, Alex 0.750 180.0 0.750 0.700 0.800 UFA

Goalies:

One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18
So you protect Markstrom and call up and AHL goalie (not Demko) Garteig or Bachman to be exposed for selection

Forwards:
Sedin, Sedin, Ericksson, Sutter, Hansen, Baertschi, Horvat,  

Defense:
Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson?

That leaves: Virtanen, Granlund, Gaunce, Rodin, Hutton, Sbisa, Tryamkin (I'd assume you send down Stecher & Tryamkin at the end of the year, to ensure they are essentially protected)

THOUGHTS?

Odds are we lose Hutton or Virtanen at this point?

Forwards- Sedin, Sedin, Ericksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Horvat, Hansen  or Granlund (depending on this year) 
Defense - Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson

Goalie - Markstrom

Virtanen, Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin don't need to be protected. 

Rodin will be considered UFA, so we can sneek him past.

So really that only leaves

Bachman, Pedan, Biega, Gaunce, Sbisa, Dorsett, Hansen or Granlund

The bolded are the 4 players that allow us to meet the requirements needed. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Forwards- Sedin, Sedin, Ericksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Horvat, Hansen  or Granlund (depending on this year) 

Goalie - Markstrom

For the most part I agree with your post, but I would swap Granlund for Hansen. I think Granlund has some real potential and although so does Hansen, we have to go with the younger.

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Goalie - Markstrom

As yes....I missed the:  * All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits). *

Just curious, cause I dont know how this work. But can we just protect one of the Sedins? I mean, theres no way they will take one of them cause the sedins will probably go back to Sweden if thats the case. Its unlikely they will pick one of them. I know its dumb to ask this. But im just curious and dont really know how this work

5 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

For the most part I agree with your post, but I would swap Granlund for Hansen. I think Granlund has some real potential and although so does Hansen, we have to go with the younger.

You'd rather see Hansen gone next year over Granlund? Interesting....I'm a big Hansen fan, so I would disagree but going younger makes sense. Depends on that kind of year these two have I guess

2 minutes ago, CaptainKool said:

Just curious, cause I dont know how this work. But can we just protect one of the Sedins? I mean, theres no way they will take one of them cause the sedins will probably go back to Sweden if thats the case. Its unlikely they will pick one of them. I know its dumb to ask this. But im just curious and dont really know how this work

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

So technically, we would only protect one, but if Las vegas selected the other one, they could say Nope, and then both sedins would be protected.

14 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I agree...somewhat... to me it just depends on how the rest of the season goes with Granlund and if he can maintain his play. 

I do have a hard time trying to see where Granlund fits long term, especially if he’s a top 9 player? 

On the left side for the next two years we have Sedin, Baertschi and likely Rodin.

On the right side we have Virtanen, Boeser, Eriksson, Hansen

And down the middle we have Sedin Sutter Horvat.

So where does that leave Granlund?  Could he potentially replace Sutter as the #3 center for next year?  Could Sutter potentially be a player canucks look to expose on the expansion draft?  His NMC doesn’t kick in until the July 1st, so if the canucks are considering to move him this year would be the time.  We will have to just watch the rest of the year to see how it plays out. 

Personally I think both Hansen and Granlund could be gone be next year.  I think Boeser jumps straight into a top 6 role and Virtanen will definitely be on the roster as well.  That leaves 3 players Hansen, Granlund, and Rodin competing for one LW spot in the top 9.  That’s assuming we don’t go out and trade or sign for someone in UFA. 

It’s really interesting trying to consider what canucks will do to their roster next year.  Lots to play out.   

I predict that we won't lose a single player of any significant value. Everyone is freaking out over absolutely nothing. Every single offseason the last decade we have let UFA's walk for nothing. How is this any different or more traumatic? Just another day. 

31 minutes ago, canucks411 said:

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

So technically, we would only protect one, but if Las vegas selected the other one, they could say Nope, and then both sedins would be protected.

Not how that works.   They are two separate people with two separate contracts.    

They both have NMC. 

They both HAVE TO be protected, and both will count towards the total. 

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I predict that we won't lose a single player of any significant value. Everyone is freaking out over absolutely nothing. Every single offseason the last decade we have let UFA's walk for nothing. How is this any different or more traumatic? Just another day. 

This^^^^

all the info about how this works is all very easy to find and understand.  

OP doesn't have any grasp on it, and threads like this send the less informed people into a frenzy of ignorance.  

Games played, plays a huge role in who you have to protect.  

We will walk out of this fine.  

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Pretty much.  Every team in the league will have players left exposed, so there's bound to be some better choices than what the Canucks have on the table.  In the end, the team will lose 1 player; (Sbisa, Biega or Gaunce ) which won't hurt the team that much.

That said, I think Hansen will be traded (unfortunately) at the deadline if they need to protect an extra player).  The only teams that will be bringing in new players are the contenders (who wouldn't want Hansen for a cup run?); all the other teams will be trying to get something for players that they can't protect.   

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Goalie - Markstrom

Agreed. Between Hansen and Granlund I have to go with Granny. As much as I love Hansen's passion and all the hard work he has given to this team he has to be exposed. There's a good chance that he won't be picked by Vegas so he can sneak by and be back with us next season. But I agree with the most of you that there's going to be tough decisions with our defencemen. Sbisa is still a serviceable defenceman. I'd trade him at the deadline since he'll have decent value.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Pretty much.  Every team in the league will have players left exposed, so there's bound to be some better choices than what the Canucks have on the table.  In the end, the team will lose 1 player; (Sbisa, Biega or Gaunce ) which won't hurt the team that much.

That said, I think Hansen will be traded (unfortunately) at the deadline if they need to protect an extra player).  The only teams that will be bringing in new players are the contenders (who wouldn't want Hansen for a cup run?); all the other teams will be trying to get something for players that they can't protect.   

The last time we sold at the trade deadline (I can't even really recall) I had a full head of hair. I don't know why but win or lose we just don't trade players away for picks at the deadline. It's either player for player, or we buy players with picks. We would have to be in that 65 point range everyone predicted for us to be trading players for picks. I honestly wonder if the Aquilini ownership is related to this cause it's not like we haven't had the opportunities. 

Archived