The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If prospects are to reach full potential, Sedin's must go

Sedin Brothers

?Please read before giving me bad rep

Look at my username folks.  I watch every game. I am from Raleigh, NC, a die hard Hurricanes fan. I absolutely love the Sedin brothers and their playing style. It's no secret that they want first line minutes, and have stated they only say they will take even a second line role is if players outproduce them. With the lack of minutes the prospects get, not only is that impossible, but it's hurting the upcoming core for our team.  

Look at Detroit. They have rebuilt on the fly for years. The difference is hey put their prospects in top 6 minutes almost immediately and let them learn playing significant minutes with vets. After all, what does that hurt for this team going forward?

people say all the time that Horvat can't take top line minutes in the future and that Virtanen is a bust, but the cold truth about it is that they are not being given The opportunity to grow. Sure, playing in Utica will help their growth, but so would playing against the top teams and players, even if we get embarrassed. 

Of course any team would be great with the Sedin's playing g supporting roles, but I think their stinginess of top line minutes despite them being my favorite two players ever, is hurting the development of the team. Let them go for a Cup. Get two A level prospects and two firsts and give the kids a chance....

love the Sedins 

I typically agree with this.

It hurts having 2 players cemented on the first line due to the fact they have to play with each other.

Not only that, they're very particular about who the 3rd member of their line is.

Our first line is basically reserved for the Sedins and who they choose to be there until they're gone.

1 minute ago, BlackBeard said:

the Sedins have said it, they like being in the first line and won't let anyone have it easily. the kiss would have to beat them first and prove that they're the better player or good enough to take over. 

With the preferred ozone starts and offensive opportunity they are given though it amounts to being impossible to do. Horvat has almost as many points in a much tougher role. Would he have more if given that spot? Who knows and until the Sedins retire we won't know either.

The problem isnt ice time, its that we dont have enough prospects. There are two spots right now open on the top 9, being occupied by dorssett and burrows. We dont have any prospects capable of filling those holes. Look at the guy's weve called up from the ahl, basically 4th line grinders. Our ahl team is like last in the league, we need to fill our prospect cabinet.

The butt-hurt has started with @Chris.  Don't bother arguing with people @Sedin Brothers, many on CDC don't like free thinkers.  You MUST go with the flow and bow at the alter of all that is popular opinion.

Although to also be fair to the incoming drones, you're bringing up the points and arguments that are made at least twice a month by other posters who usually use their alt accounts to post.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

The butt-hurt has started with @Chris.  Don't bother arguing with people @Sedin Brothers, many on CDC don't like free thinkers.  You MUST go with the flow and bow at the alter of all that is popular opinion.

Although to also be fair to the incoming drones, you're bringing up the points and arguments that are made at least twice a month by other posters who usually use their alt accounts to post.

Butt hurt? Not over the actual subject matter, I've come to accept that people want to trade the Sedins;

Moreso over the fact that this is literally becoming a weekly thing and the fact that nobody seems capable of completing a search around here to see how completely redundant this is.

Some players it works, Some players can handle that type of pressure.  Bo Horvat is one.

Bo Horvat on being thrown into a top 6 role last year.

“it was tough and it took some time to adjust but he made me a better hockey player”

“absolutely, no question, made me a better player, better mentally, physically, being the guy everybody relied on to score and it’s translating to my game this year”

But it's still important to not give the young players the keys to the team where they think they can do no wrong.  Like the oilers did.  I think the sedins are important right now to keep players roles intact and not put the entire weight on the young kids. But i do think we should be starting to transition for the future.

Just like when a CEO is about to retire, companies allow some transition time, some time that the upcoming replacement can ease into the role. 

Just now, Chris said:

Butt hurt? Not over the actual subject matter, I've come to accept that people want to trade the Sedins;

Moreso over the fact that this is literally becoming a weekly thing and the fact that nobody seems capable of completing a search around here to see how completely redundant this is.

If that's your reason, I take back the butt-hurt comment because I even put in my response that this is constantly brought up and that he will fairly get grief for that reason.

22 minutes ago, Sedin Brothers said:

?Please read before giving me bad rep

Look at my username folks.  I watch every game. I am from Raleigh, NC, a die hard Hurricanes fan. I absolutely love the Sedin brothers and their playing style. It's no secret that they want first line minutes, and have stated they only say they will take even a second line role is if players outproduce them. With the lack of minutes the prospects get, not only is that impossible, but it's hurting the upcoming core for our team.  

Look at Detroit. They have rebuilt on the fly for years. The difference is hey put their prospects in top 6 minutes almost immediately and let them learn playing significant minutes with vets. After all, what does that hurt for this team going forward?

people say all the time that Horvat can't take top line minutes in the future and that Virtanen is a bust, but the cold truth about it is that they are not being given The opportunity to grow. Sure, playing in Utica will help their growth, but so would playing against the top teams and players, even if we get embarrassed. 

Of course any team would be great with the Sedin's playing g supporting roles, but I think their stinginess of top line minutes despite them being my favorite two players ever, is hurting the development of the team. Let them go for a Cup. Get two A level prospects and two firsts and give the kids a chance....

love the Sedins 

At some point this will need to happen. The Sedins need to move over. While they have shown some glimpses of Sedinery, they have also shown a lot of rust, which is natural for players entering their late thirties. I agree with you.

The Sedins should want one more crack at the Cup, and have to realize that it won't be happening here until the new core emerges.

6 minutes ago, Nessnuck27 said:

If we were to trade them... where would they even go? Obviously they would want to go to a contender, but all contenders are near their cap hit. Canucks would have to take a cap dump back, which would also drive their value up. Could ask for an additional prospect/pick.

My Only guess would be Ottawa??

D. Sedin + H. Sedin

For

Logan Brown, Mike Hoffman, 2017 1st, 2018 2nd

Just now, Nessnuck27 said:

My Only guess would be Ottawa??

D. Sedin + H. Sedin

For

Logan Brown, Mike Hoffman, 2017 1st, 2018 2nd

Ottawa isn't a contender.  The Sedins are of most value to an actual contender with a talent pool deep enough to part with a couple of players as well as a draft pick or two.  The Sedins could be the difference between a cup or no cup to any of the top 7 or so clubs.

Maybe someone should make a thread outlining which bubble or contending teams could take on the sedins at say 35% retention this TDL or to start next season and then we can go from there.

The endless speculation and redundant threads sure aren't helping

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

With the preferred ozone starts and offensive opportunity they are given though it amounts to being impossible to do. Horvat has almost as many points in a much tougher role. Would he have more if given that spot? Who knows and until the Sedins retire we won't know either.

For sure!

If the Canucks had started their rebuild in 2012 the Twins would have played the transition role they are playing today or possibly decided to OK a trade. IMHO the Twins will be gone by trade or retirement within 2 seasons. They are still good enough to play a valuable role on a serious CUP contender. If they decide to retire with the Canucks their role has to adjust to the reality of where the rebuilding timeline takes them. Just as I rail about Edler regularly playing 25 TOI, I add the Twins at 20 -22 minutes. That number should be 18 - 20 minutes. The bottom 3 lines have to have more minutes. A player like Gaunce cannot play 6 minutes a game. Absolutely horrendous.  

At some point this org has to accept a full blown rebuild. They have to move out more vets and rotate their prospects through the roster. There are 4 - 6 players in Utica who should see games this year. I am not one for haunting the waiver wire but picking players like Piri have little down side. The days of playing for playoffs as a priority are done. Making playoffs is a bonus. Many fans think the Canucks have hit bottom but I suggest there is further to fall. If Benning pulls off a forward rebuild as quickly as he appears to have with the d-core I will be hugely surprised and thankful. Because of his success on the backend he can focus on the forward group for the next 3 years. I do have faith in management and usually agree with their moves but feel their rebuild needs more aggressiveness.   

Archived