The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's Updated Playoff Predictions for Canadian Teams

Bur14Kes17

Just now, apollo said:

Honestly this is my problem... 

When sportsnet was regional, you turn on the news and you get canucks coverage first... now I have to sit through Raptos, Jays, Leafs, etc etc...

The worst is home town hockey on sundays... they don't even talk about the canucks game going on during the intermissions.

Also regular nights, there's barely any post game or pregame coverage. I just really miss actually having sportsnet pacific be controlled locally.

I agree 100%. If you live in BC your number 1 priority viewing should always be Canucks. Theres 4 Sportsnet channels so the Pacific channel should always have Canucks as priority #1 no matter what else is on. They definitely need to improve on their current system.

16 minutes ago, apollo said:

Honestly this is my problem... 

When sportsnet was regional, you turn on the news and you get canucks coverage first... now I have to sit through Raptos, Jays, Leafs, etc etc...

The worst is home town hockey on sundays... they don't even talk about the canucks game going on during the intermissions.

Also regular nights, there's barely any post game or pregame coverage. I just really miss actually having sportsnet pacific be controlled locally.

It's Rogers' Sportsnet apollo.

Guess who Rogers is.

42 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Yes, but there are better ways to predict future wins than using past wins. 

"96.7 PDO – The Canucks have the lowest combined shooting percentage and save percentage during 5-on-5 play, with the shooting percentage (6.0 per cent) playing a bigger part. Even if they remain worst, the percentages are likely to get better as the season progresses, so the Canucks may be a little better than their not-so-impressive start. "

I'm curious baumermann - how does this translate into a reduction from 25% odds to 20% playoff odds, particularly when their "not-so-impressive start" has them 3 pts from a playoff spot?

Would you corroborate that "analysis"?

54 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

And there in lies the problem, unless you're looking for Leaf , Jays or Raptor coverage...... Nothing else matters. 

What you get at the intermission of a Canucks game is an insufferable geek prattling on about Leafs goaltending (who was that btw, anyone know?)

It's bush-league.

46 minutes ago, apollo said:

Agreed. But Sportsnet is just as much of a joke and they are extremely relevant.

It's sad times to be anything but a Toronto fan sports media wise. 

Really miss the regional coverage... Don Taylor :( 

Taylor picked the Bruins in the finals in 2011.

What annoys me the most is not TSN the predictions but the thinking that The Canucks don't have a plan or can't decide which way to go.  It's almost like we should not be trying to win but instead follow the Leafs/Oilers lose and get lucky plan. I know we are not a very good team but most nights the effort is there and we have a fair wack of promising youngsters, some with the team, some still a ways away. I also am pretty sure we will get a top 10 draft pick this year unless a miracle occurs.  I also will be a tad bit disappointed if we don't pull off a couple of deadline deals aka  Millsy, Burrows?, maybe one of Tanev or Edler and whichever other older players we can trade for draft picks or young players. We need to keep some of the vets but certainly not all, especially the expiring contracts. Whats the point of playing if a team is playing to lose, whether its management or players?

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Based on what I've seen so far this season, 20% sounds about right to me.

We haven't even hit our "slump" month...

I think we should just about be out by the All Star break.

pessimism-the-light-at-the-end-of-a-tunn

At least your projection is based on more honest 'analytics'

I think their odds would be more in the 50-60% range if reasonably healthy.

However, with their current roster, 25-30% is probably not that far off.

If they lose another player or two as opposed to regain guys not on the roster, they could be worse.

But those fairly pivotal factors don't seem to enter the TSN 'analytics'. 

And, of course, I'm just pulling arbitrary numbers out of my ass - like TSN is.

Did anyone listen to the interview Patrick O'Sullivan gave today? It's called "Everybody hates Vancouver". Holy, that guy can whine about us! Moaning about how the fans want to be compared to Montreal and Chicago  Clearly he hates Burrows with a passion (and let's be fair, with what Burrows said, he deserves that). But my word has that tainted his perspective and the co-host was just running with it. Here are some good ones I picked out from their female-dogging haha:

"There's not too many people who enjoy the Vancouver Canucks or their fans." -O'S

"As a player, they were just full of rats." -O'S

"I was definitely pulling for the Bruins by the end of that series." -Host

"And Canada as a whole was." -O'S

"Just totally unlikeable, the Rome hit on Horton, still to this day-" -H

"Aaron Rome, another guy, like it's just a long list of guys like that! That's really all it is." -O'S

On Burrows:

"To be honest, he probably wouldn't be in the league, he got really lucky for a number of years and got to play with the Sedins." -O'S with the most bitter sounding voice I've ever heard lol.

"If I were to play with one of the players from Vancouver, I think it would take a long time for me to not hate their guts."

Well, Patrick, it's too bad you weren't good enough to stick around in the league longer and missed that opportunity!

O'Sullivan GP: 334; Age - 31

Burrows GP: 767; 35 and still playing (on our first line without the Sedins I might add).

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/o-sullivan-everybody-hates-vancouver-1.622267

Not really predictions if you get to go back and alter them are they?

TSN, five channels with the same thing on every one of them.  Unless of course they have blacked out games.....

I love Sundays when they are showing the same NFL game on every channel.

3 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

What annoys me the most is not TSN the predictions but the thinking that The Canucks don't have a plan or can't decide which way to go.  It's almost like we should not be trying to win but instead follow the Leafs/Oilers lose and get lucky plan. I know we are not a very good team but most nights the effort is there and we have a fair wack of promising youngsters, some with the team, some still a ways away. I also am pretty sure we will get a top 10 draft pick this year unless a miracle occurs.  I also will be a tad bit disappointed if we don't pull off a couple of deadline deals aka  Millsy, Burrows?, maybe one of Tanev or Edler and whichever other older players we can trade for draft picks or young players. We need to keep some of the vets but certainly not all, especially the expiring contracts. Whats the point of playing if a team is playing to lose, whether its management or players?

Leafs are on rebuild year # 49,and are the example of how you should rebuild...Got it!

5 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Guess I didn't word my post very good.   Not what I want, it seems to be what the Toronto Sports Net is pushing.

It wasn't your post at all..its the media....All of a sudden,the Leafs are a 'superior' rebuilding team...?..They haven't won anything yet....They are only 2 measly points ahead of us..

For a major sports outlet to misspell Willie's name as "Willy" says a lot about their credibility. Shows just how low the bar is at TSN. 

At certain levels of credible journalism, this still matters. Typos happen but you must get names right in order to be taken seriously. Shows how the editors don't have standards or care about credibility, or may not even be aware it makes them look foolish.

Archived