The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Team 1040 December 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't think I'm underestimating anything. They'd be a capable offensive support line with either Hansen or Sutter on their wing to bring speed, forecheck etc to compliment them.

Problem is, Horvat's the only young guy remotely ready or capable of supplanting them at this point. IMO, this is one of the biggest reasons Eriksson was also brought in. He can hopefully fill in one of those winger roles until Boeser (or another prospect) are ready to take it and then can slide down to the middle 6 as a capable winger there post-Sedin.

It's also why I see Tanev+ going for a solid winger this summer.

Next year, something like :

'Tanev winger', Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Granlund, Sutter, Boeser

???, Gaunce, Dorsett

Then ideally we find a top 6 C with our first round pick this summer who can hopefully come in the following year or shortly thereafter to fill the post-Sedin top 6 hole. Though I suppose one of Granlund/Sutter might be able to fill in there in what would likely be another middling-poor season if there isn't a ready and capable prospect there.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree.

In effect you are saying put two slow, defensively suspect, players who only seem to want to play with each other from the 1st line to the 2nd.

How does that get rid of their frailties from this team?

Jake - Bo - Hansen

Baertschi - Sutter - Ericsson

Granlund - Casells - Rodin

Skille - Gaunce - Dorsett

5 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

In effect you are saying put two slow, defensively suspect, players who only seem to want to play with each other from the 1st line to the 2nd.

Jake - Bo - Hansen

:rolleyes::lol:

4 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Jake - Bo - Hansen

Their speed is a concern yes. I would sooner split them (that way the line isn't as much a liability getting back on defense) and slot them in with strong possession players as both sedins still have a high shooting percentage. Highest on the Canucks still.

I can't believe how many people think they don't have a place on the team. They got dooped by not having a succession plan. What do you think a line full of Jagr's would look like? Very slow. Yet he is a legend and the sedins are trash.??

4 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Their speed is a concern yes. I would sooner split them (that way the line isn't as much a liability getting back on defense) and slot them in with strong possession players as both sedins still have a high shooting percentage. Highest on the Canucks still.

I can't believe how many people think they don't have a place on the team. They got dooped by not having a succession plan. What do you think a line full of Jagr's would look like? Very slow. Yet he is a legend and the sedins are trash.??

Who's saying the Sedins are trash? They are 36 years old and have endured a huge amount of physical impact throughout their careers without doling it back. No matter how fit a person is, their frame and general musculature can only take so much.

Jagr is a larger, more physical player, who possessed excellent physical size and speed, in his prime. And he is maintaining a decent level of performance and play at 44 years of age. He's also won a couple of Stanley Cups, and 5 Art Ross, 3 Lester B. Pearson, and the Hart once. No disputing how much of a legend he is.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who's saying the Sedins are trash? They are 36 years old and have endured a huge amount of physical impact throughout their careers without doling it back. No matter how fit a person is, their frame and general musculature can only take so much.

Jagr is a larger, more physical player, who possessed excellent physical size and speed, in his prime. And he is maintaining a decent level of performance and play at 44 years of age. He's also won a couple of Stanley Cups, and 5 Art Ross, 3 Lester B. Pearson, and the Hart once. No disputing how much of a legend he is.

Everyone who posts next years roster without the sedins in it is effectively calling them trash since they are on contract to play here next year. And I didn't see any picks or added players besides Cole Cassels in the last one. Hank and dank for Cassels.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not saying I don't think anyone here doubts what they've done in their careers it's just doubting what they can bring moving forward.

4 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Everyone who posts next years roster without the sedins in it is effectively calling them trash since they are on contract to play here next year. And I didn't see any picks or added players besides Cole Cassels in the last one. Hank and dank for Cassels.

Never mind it's highly debatable Cassels is even NHL ready next year (he won't be). Replacing the Sedins is laughable.

Thinking they can't make a meaningful contribution in a reduced, supportive/secondary role, equally laughable.

Thinking that was actually a better roster, yup, laughable :lol:

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

FWIW, both the Sedins and Linden would LOVE to have some players step up and take over 1st line duty.

People seem to confuse not tearing everything down and rebuilding around them while they're still here as 'propping them up'. That's not what I see as happening here. I think all parties would far prefer the Sedins were the one's 'propping up' a new core as support players, not the other way around.

It's a small but important distinction IMO.

Patience, we're not quite there yet.

I think they are closer to that than WD thinks they are and that, imo, has been the problem

14 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Everyone who posts next years roster without the sedins in it is effectively calling them trash since they are on contract to play here next year.

That's a mighty strong correlation to make based on a roster omission. What if the poster envisioned the Twins being traded to a contender?

14 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

And I didn't see any picks or added players besides Cole Cassels in the last one. Hank and dank for Cassels.

Cassels is in the system so he wouldn't have been traded for. And the Sedins would yield a tad more than him.

57 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't think I'm underestimating anything. They'd be a capable offensive support line with either Hansen or Sutter on their wing to bring speed, forecheck etc to compliment them.

Problem is, Horvat's the only young guy remotely ready or capable of supplanting them at this point. IMO, this is one of the biggest reasons Eriksson was also brought in. He can hopefully fill in one of those winger roles until Boeser (or another prospect) are ready to take it and then can slide down to the middle 6 as a capable winger there post-Sedin.

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Granlund, Sutter, Boeser

???, Gaunce, Dorsett

Then ideally we find a top 6 C with our first round pick this summer who can hopefully come in the following year or shortly thereafter to fill the post-Sedin top 6 hole. Though I suppose one of Granlund/Sutter might be able to fill in there in what would likely be another middling-poor season if there isn't a ready and capable prospect there.

29 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Sooner or later we're going to have to split up the Sedins and have them play on separate lines because of their lack of footspeed. Jagr and Thornton are still playing very well but that's partly because they have speed on their lines to do all the retrieval work and to create space for them. Then have the Sedins together on the powerplay.

Daniel - Horvat - Eriksson

'Tanev Winger' - Henrik - Hansen

Granlund/Baerstchi - Sutter - Boeser

Gaunce - Chaput - Virtanen

Dorsett

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa/Juolevi - Tryamkin

Pedan, Subban

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they are closer to that than WD thinks they are and that, imo, has been the problem

Again, Horvat's the only youth who's really shown enough to push them down and one guy does not a line make. We don't particularly have anyone to replace them with as yet (though they're slowly coming IMO).

That said, I'm hoping as Hansen gets back up to speed, WD has the wherewithal to try something like:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Eriksson, Horvat, Hansen 

As our top 6.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Again, Horvat's the only youth who's really shown enough to push them down and one guy does not a line make. We don't particularly have anyone to replace them with as yet (though they're slowly coming IMO).

That said, I'm hoping as Hansen gets back up to speed, WD has the wherewithal to try something like:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Eriksson, Horvat, Hansen 

As our top 6.

I think if they got more, consistent ice time, that both Baer and Granlund would surprise, and I think gaunce is ready for more as well.  

29 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

I'm not saying I don't think anyone here doubts what they've done in their careers it's just doubting what they can bring moving forward.

What they can bring going forward are realistically second line duties on a good team.

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's a mighty strong correlation to make based on a roster omission. What if the poster envisioned the Twins being traded to a contender?

Cassels is in the system so he wouldn't have been traded for. And the Sedins would yield a tad more than him.

Let's just stay away from each other posts if you are going to be condescending.

All he did was TAKE OUT the sedins and ADD Cassels. You understand that all of the content on here talking about the future is hypothetically speaking. If he envisioned a line up without the sedins it might be useful to post where they have gone to don't you think?!! In that scenario their contracts must have been terminated. 

Please, for future I know what the roster in Utica is and the depth charts and I know that Jagr is a legend...so if you want to actually discuss hockey that's why I'm on here but if you want to assume that everything I say is the dumbest version of how it reads... Please don't bother.

I will try to clarify my points to not be so vague and not leave anything up to your demented imagination. ;)

23 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Sooner or later we're going to have to split up the Sedins and have them play on separate lines because of their lack of footspeed.

Meh, I think too much is made about 'splitting them up'. IMO, putting a Hansen or Sutter on their wing accomplishes covering for their lack of speed. Having them in a secondary role gets them away from the harder match ups etc where that lack of speed speed is less of an issue. Having them out largely with a faster D pair in those situations would also help.

They're better together than apart and if you can do those above things, there's little incentive to split them IMO.

Now we 'just' need to trade Tanev+ for a forward this summer :lol: @ForsbergTheGreat seems to like Tanev+ for Domi which I'd be just fine with ::D

Domi, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Granlund, Sutter, Boeser

18 minutes ago, bohoforpresident said:

Let's just stay away from each other posts if you are going to be condescending.

You're a sensitive one, eh? Did I write anything alluding to "poor widdle bohoforprez"? No.

All he did was TAKE OUT the sedins and ADD Cassels. You understand that all of the content on here talking about the future is hypothetically speaking. If he envisioned a line up without the sedins it might be useful to post where they have gone to don't you think?!! In that scenario their contracts must have been terminated. 

Yes, in a perfect world, the poster would have determined where the Sedins disappeared to for next year, as buying them out is a comical idea. The only plausible option would be to trade them.

Please, for future I know what the roster in Utica is and the depth charts and I know that Jagr is a legend...so if you want to actually discuss hockey that's why I'm on here but if you want to assume that everything I say is the dumbest version of how it reads... Please don't bother.

Never thought what you said was dumb. You need to relax. I didn't throw a facepalm down or actually say that you're an idiot. I usually stray away from insulting people. Usually.

I will try to clarify my points to not be so vague and not leave anything up to your demented imagination. ;)

You truly get me!

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Granlund, Sutter, Boeser

???, Gaunce, Dorsett

Then ideally we find a top 6 C with our first round pick this summer who can hopefully come in the following year,

Tanev + Baertschi for Domi. Draft Patrick or Hischier

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You're a sensitive one, eh? Did I write anything alluding to "poor widdle bohoforprez"? No.

Yes, in a perfect world, the poster would have determined where the Sedins disappeared to for next year, as buying them out is a comical idea. The only plausible option would be to trade them.

Never thought what you said was dumb. You need to relax. I didn't throw a facepalm down or actually say that you're an idiot. I usually stray away from insulting people. Usually.

You truly get me!

Again youre condescending by assuming I'm angry and not just trying to facilitate constructive arguments . Which is why I edited my original post and put a 'wink face' at the end to no avail.

Archived