The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Team 1040 December 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

So that's two players, both of which we hoped to see more upside out of than we have. Typically the 'free' UFA signings aren't expected to be anything other than what you know they are, like with Cracknell last year and Skille this year. Sometimes the ones you trade for don't work out, but that's why you don't risk much in getting them.

We've also acquired the other players I mentioned, many of which are doing well if not important or even integral parts of the team. They are not stop gaps, one year or otherwise. That was the point about filling that missing age range, where drafting players wouldn't even have the chance to use them in the NHL for several years.

And as I said...good fill this so called age gap, just stop with the high risk players that costs assets to acquire.  I've never had a problem with JB signing stechers megna, chaput...I've never called those mistakes.  i've only said for him to stop trading draft picks for high risk waiver players.  That's it.

Matthias was better than Etem

Santo was better than Vey

Weber was just as effective as Larsen

Kassian waived for nothing is better than Prust

And as WD thought, Bart was better than Pedan

From what those players brought this team any UFA scrub would have provided the same impact with.  As you said JB have been good at getting those types of players, Cracknel, Megna, Skille.  

That's a 2nd, 3rd, 2x 5th, and 6th round pick that didn't need to be wasted.  That's almost another entire year of drafting gone.  They were high risk returns that were intended to help this team be more competitive in the now and possibly provide help in the future, they have done neither.

Considering we have been in the middle of a rebuild they were risks that shouldn't have been taken.  

Lets be real it wasn't about filling an age gap, that's easily debunked from the age of players we already had.  They were brought in with the intention to help speed up the rebuild.  Like Clendening, who was further developed that's why we gave up a young prospect with a similar ceiling,  just likely 2-4 years out.  But....in all honesty, if we were more patient with the rebuild, we'd likely be farther ahead than we currently are.  

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

Tryamkin plays right side comfortably too. (As can Sbisa if he's still here.)

Plays right side > and putting guys into the best situation to succeed is two different things.

Plus Tanev >> Sbisa. Particularly with Sbisa on his off side.  Philly has been making this argument for years. They sign good LHD, play them on their off side and both they and the team struggle.

Tanev is signed longer while Sbisa is UFA at the end of next year. Sbisa would be nuts to pass up an opportunity at UFA. We can dump Tanev just to have Sbisa walk at the end of next year. 

For all these reasons I disagree.

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And as I said...good fill this so called age gap, just stop with the high risk players that costs assets to acquire.  I've never had a problem with JB signing stechers megna, chaput...I've never called those mistakes.  i've only said for him to stop trading draft picks for high risk waiver players.  That's it.

From what those players brought this team any UFA scrub would have provided the same impact with.  As you said JB have been good at getting those types of players, Cracknel, Megna, Skille.  

That's a 2nd, 3rd, 2x 5th, and 6th round pick that didn't need to be wasted.  That's almost another entire year of drafting gone.  They were high risk returns that were intended to help this team be more competitive in the now and possibly provide help in the future, they have done neither.

Considering we have been in the middle of a rebuild they were risks that shouldn't have been taken.  

Lets be real it wasn't about filling an age gap, that's easily debunked from the age of players we already had.  They were brought in with the intention to help speed up the rebuild.  Like Clendening, who was further developed that's why we gave up a young prospect with a similar ceiling,  just likely 2-4 years out.  But....in all honesty, if we were more patient with the rebuild, we'd likely be farther ahead than we currently are.  

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I hate the argument that 2nd round or 3rd round picks are not sure things its better to get rid of them for waiver fodder guys.

The same caliber of players are available every year for cheap. If they are placeholders then just sign some for free instead and keep the picks or package them to get true upgrades not long shots.

If a signed bargain player doesn't work out and you waive them it's no loss at all. Paying a second for guys you let walk away is just wasteful for a team in our position when you can sign comparable ones for nothing.

Sure, you want to limit the waste of picks where you can, but your arguments point to only the failures with that approach and none of the successes. Benning tried to get players who could have upside but be in the age range to better fit the team as it could be after the re-tool. Hanging onto players who are moderate and you know what you're getting while being in a little older age group won't do much of anything (unless they want to stick around for Chaput/Megna type deals).

But to make it sound like Benning is trading those picks knowing that the only return will be only waiver fodder is the problem with your stance. Only time will tell if his picks in those rounds have a higher success rate at becoming regular NHL'ers than they players he was trying to acquire to help fast track part of the re-tool, but certainly some have worked to at least some extent so there's success possible in either approach. Don't forget to paint the whole picture though when looking at you're preferred option.

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Sure, you want to limit the waste of picks where you can, but your arguments point to only the failures with that approach and none of the successes. Benning tried to get players who could have upside but be in the age range to better fit the team as it could be after the re-tool. Hanging onto players who are moderate and you know what you're getting while being in a little older age group won't do much of anything (unless they want to stick around for Chaput/Megna type deals).

But to make it sound like Benning is trading those picks knowing that the only return will be only waiver fodder is the problem with your stance. Only time will tell if his picks in those rounds have a higher success rate at becoming regular NHL'ers than they players he was trying to acquire to help fast track part of the re-tool, but certainly some have worked to at least some extent so there's success possible in either approach. Don't forget to paint the whole picture though when looking at you're preferred option.

Successes? You mean Baertschi and...?

Even though it's early, there is a lot of evidence that Benning using those picks to draft would have been preferable.

As Forsberg mentioned, a 2nd, 3rd, 2 5ths, and a 6th are gone for almost useless players. In his first draft JB got Demko with a 2nd, Tryamkin with a 3rd, and Forsling with a 5th.

In his 2nd, he got Brisebois with a 3rd, who is going to the Team Canada selection camp. In the 5th he had 2 picks, and took Carl Neill, who is not one of the top scoring defenseman in the QMJHL, and Adam Gaudette, who has been very impressive in the NCAA.

So, it's not a stretch at all to say of those 5 wasted picks, Benning couldn't have selected at least 2 quality prospects with long-term value.

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Plays right side > and putting guys into the best situation to succeed is two different things.

Plus Tanev >> Sbisa. Particularly with Sbisa on his off side.  Philly has been making this argument for years. They sign good LHD, play them on their off side and both they and the team struggle.

Tanev is signed longer while Sbisa is UFA at the end of next year. Sbisa would be nuts to pass up an opportunity at UFA. We can dump Tanev just to have Sbisa walk at the end of next year. 

For all these reasons I disagree.

I'm a huge proponent of playing guys on their natural/comfortable side but Tryamkin is ACTUALLY comfortable paying right side. So it's not a concern IMO and not the same as simply throwing a guy on his 'wrong' side and crossing your fingers. 

Even if we lose Sbisa, by either expansion or later as UFA, we still have Pedan, Juolevi, Brisebois etc coming up on the left in the next few years and could easily sign a 3rd pairing left D if one is needed for the next couple years. 

And all this completely ignores all my points about Tanev's play style, injury concerns, NTC, age when we'll be contending again and maximizing his value.

Agree to disagree. 

On 12/9/2016 at 8:58 AM, Brad Marchand said:

As it stands the Canucks have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round picks this year, plus the owed Columbus 2nd round pick for hiring Torts. Would be nice if they can stay true to their word and add a few more without moving any. As always, we'll have to wait and see, though.

Plus, I thought this was worth mentioning again and really emphasizing from your post, Columbus is STUCK with Torts as well!

Its like the gift that keeps on giving :)

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Plus, I thought this was worth mentioning again and really emphasizing from your post, Columbus is STUCK with Torts as well!

Its like the gift that keeps on giving :)

Funny how the Blue Jackets are doing better under Torts (on he was on pace for a better record than us last season) than Willie is with the Canucks....

19 hours ago, D-Money said:

Successes? You mean Baertschi and...?

Even though it's early, there is a lot of evidence that Benning using those picks to draft would have been preferable.

As Forsberg mentioned, a 2nd, 3rd, 2 5ths, and a 6th are gone for almost useless players. In his first draft JB got Demko with a 2nd, Tryamkin with a 3rd, and Forsling with a 5th.

In his 2nd, he got Brisebois with a 3rd, who is going to the Team Canada selection camp. In the 5th he had 2 picks, and took Carl Neill, who is not one of the top scoring defenseman in the QMJHL, and Adam Gaudette, who has been very impressive in the NCAA.

So, it's not a stretch at all to say of those 5 wasted picks, Benning couldn't have selected at least 2 quality prospects with long-term value.

Do you ever gamble D-Money? Poker? Ponies? NFL? Then you know not every wager is a winner, it's how you do on the whole not isolating only the wins or losses in a streak.

Trading Forsling may well be the worst play by JB in his time here rather than opportunity lost in the draft.

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Funny how the Blue Jackets are doing better under Torts (on he was on pace for a better record than us last season) than Willie is with the Canucks....

Because Tortorella is a coach with experience. He knows what he's doing . Won a Stanley Cup with Tampa.

Fact is, while it's fashionable to bash the coach (I should know) when the team isn't doing well, what is crystal clear about the situation here is that there have been three coaches now, that have been unable to get this team back into the postseason in a meaningful way.

Vigneault is clearly a successful coach in how he has been able to New York maintain a consistency, and Tortorella is proving to be able to motivate a younger team like Columbus to a pretty favorable place in the standings.

Maybe, just maybe, the leftovers from the previous core just aren't good enough anymore, and haven't really been since 2012.

The team folded like a cheap suit against every playoff opponent they've faced since 2011, and that can't all come down to coincidence. What really can young players learn from delusions of grandeur?

In my opinion, it would be a much better idea to part with the remaining members of the old core, with the exception of Hansen, and start acquiring the type of veteran players that can help support the young emerging core, rather than try to prop up a waning first line that can longer maintain a competitive edge over the course of an 82 game season.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Because Tortorella is a coach with experience. He knows what he's doing . Won a Stanley Cup with Tampa.

Fact is, while it's fashionable to bash the coach (I should know) when the team isn't doing well, what is crystal clear about the situation here is that there have been three coaches now, that have been unable to get this team back into the postseason in a meaningful way.

Vigneault is clearly a successful coach in how he has been able to New York maintain a consistency, and Tortorella is proving to be able to motivate a younger team like Columbus to a pretty favorable place in the standings.

Maybe, just maybe, the leftovers from the previous core just aren't good enough anymore, and haven't really been since 2012.

The team folded like a cheap suit against every playoff opponent they've faced since 2011, and that can't all come down to coincidence. What really can young players learn from delusions of grandeur?

In my opinion, it would be a much better idea to part with the remaining members of the old core, with the exception of Hansen, and start acquiring the type of veteran players that can help support the young emerging core, rather than try to prop up a waning first line that can longer maintain a competitive edge over the course of an 82 game season.

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the wealth of talented young players Columbus has accumulated over the past decade or so.

It's all Torts ;)

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People did have higher expectations for this team. And for good reason, We still some good players.  We just need to find the right recipe.

We are not playing to win games, we are playing not to lose.  There is big difference between the two.  One style is a confident high energy game and the other is a passive/defensive style.  Both type of games can have success, but in order to have success in a passive style the team needs to make sure they are able to bury on their offensive opportunity…. and with how bad our PP is, it’s no wonder why we are losing more than we are winning.   Also most teams that have success playing a passive style game have a rock solid experienced back end, not a young group of up and comers that are bound to make learning mistakes.  Is it really a shock with how little we’ve held a lead. 

I can see why coaching staff wants to play this style of game, our two best players our exactly fast, or young and fit a passive style, and we’ve had success in the past with the twins.  But that was back when we had a much more experience D core, as well as a top power play unit. 

A passive game is a “think” style of game, where we wait for the right opportunity and then capitalize.  It’s what the Sedins were so good at.  But it’s also a very complex style of game to play and requires a lot of mental strength to rely and continue to have faith in the system to work even when it’s not.  Less energy is used because you rely on out thinking the opposition.   

But that style isn’t working and we have too much inexperience to pull that type of game off.  Our team has to get desperate, come out with some jump and put a greater emphasis on scoring.  We can’t be sitting back waiting for opportunity to show up, we should be pushing forward creating our own opportunity.  We shouldn’t go consecutive power plays without a single shot on net. 

WD is able get hard work out of the players, so let use that and our young players to their skills and build momentum off of it.  Push everything towards the opposing teams net and then simply out work the other team to get the puck back. Rinse and repeat.  It’s an extremely simple game and yes it will result in more times leaving our goalies out to dry but that’s what you get with such a young line up.  Let’s give Hutton and Stech the green light to rush the puck as much as they want and players like Baer and Granlund to be as creative as they want.  Right now it’s like Bo is the only one that’s confident enough to try and beat a player one on one.  Every ones more concerned about making the safe play.

The team needs to focus less on planning the game around the Sedins skill set and more around how to match the other teams in the league.  It might be time to try splitting the twins up 5 on 5.  We should be distributing speed and skill up among the top 3 lines so we can come in consistent waves.  Then if WD can continue to get effort out of the players it would hopefully bring some high energy on our side and allow us to play with momentum early, rather than in the 3 period when were are down by 2 goals.. 

I still think there is more to this team than we are seeing.  I don’t believe we are a bottom 5 team.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the wealth of talented young players Columbus has accumulated over the past decade or so.

It's all Torts ;)

Can Canucks fans not put down the hatchet against John and possibly look at the situation objectively?

Yes, Columbus has been a basement dweller for years, and acquired picks/prospects galore, but Tortorella also has been a coach in this league for quite a few years, and while having built a name for himself by being a loose cannon and nutter, he also has garnered the respect of a lot of players.

Players need a coach as a focal point, as we all know, and while that amassing of talent has potential outside of who coaches them, having a coach who can get the players on the same page and playing the same way, game in and game out, is integral to the system.

The situation in Columbus is 50% roster, and 50% solid coaching. Any other determination is just willfully avoiding obvious fact.

On 10/12/2016 at 6:16 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

fine and dandy, but they still had to ice a team and there would be no players to fill a Canucks team and a Comets team.  In the end, JB got back almost as many draft picks as he gave up and he got some good players for the Canucks in the process.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

People did have higher expectations for this team. And for good reason, We still some good players.  We just need to find the right recipe.

We are not playing to win games, we are playing not to lose.  There is big difference between the two.  One style is a confident high energy game and the other is a passive/defensive style.  Both type of games can have success, but in order to have success in a passive style the team needs to make sure they are able to bury on their offensive opportunity…. and with how bad our PP is, it’s no wonder why we are losing more than we are winning.   Also most teams that have success playing a passive style game have a rock solid experienced back end, not a young group of up and comers that are bound to make learning mistakes.  Is it really a shock with how little we’ve held a lead. 

I can see why coaching staff wants to play this style of game, our two best players our exactly fast, or young and fit a passive style, and we’ve had success in the past with the twins.  But that was back when we had a much more experience D core, as well as a top power play unit. 

A passive game is a “think” style of game, where we wait for the right opportunity and then capitalize.  It’s what the Sedins were so good at.  But it’s also a very complex style of game to play and requires a lot of mental strength to rely and continue to have faith in the system to work even when it’s not.  Less energy is used because you rely on out thinking the opposition.   

But that style isn’t working and we have too much inexperience to pull that type of game off.  Our team has to get desperate, come out with some jump and put a greater emphasis on scoring.  We can’t be sitting back waiting for opportunity to show up, we should be pushing forward creating our own opportunity.  We shouldn’t go consecutive power plays without a single shot on net. 

WD is able get hard work out of the players, so let use that and our young players to their skills and build momentum off of it.  Push everything towards the opposing teams net and then simply out work the other team to get the puck back. Rinse and repeat.  It’s an extremely simple game and yes it will result in more times leaving our goalies out to dry but that’s what you get with such a young line up.  Let’s give Hutton and Stech the green light to rush the puck as much as they want and players like Baer and Granlund to be as creative as they want.  Right now it’s like Bo is the only one that’s confident enough to try and beat a player one on one.  Every ones more concerned about making the safe play.

The team needs to focus less on planning the game around the Sedins skill set and more around how to match the other teams in the league.  It might be time to try splitting the twins up 5 on 5.  We should be distributing speed and skill up among the top 3 lines so we can come in consistent waves.  Then if WD can continue to get effort out of the players it would hopefully bring some high energy on our side and allow us to play with momentum early, rather than in the 3 period when were are down by 2 goals.. 

I still think there is more to this team than we are seeing.  I don’t believe we are a bottom 5 team.

It's quite clear that this team has the ability within it's roster to stay with and play up to the standard of good teams. And then they take on a team that is marginal at best, with a backup goalie, and get ventilated. Something is wrong with the consistency of play.

As well, they still have issues when they let teams storm back into a game like the Hawks did, a while back.

And while it would be easy to lay it all at Willie's feet, this issue has plagued the team before he was the bench boss. The team wouldn't bury teams when they had the chance. No "go for the jugular" type of mentality when needed.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

i agree completely that they need to employ a system and style that does not revolve around the twins anymore, their time has clearly passed as the engine that drives the organization.  

I believe this team, when healthy, is a playoff bubble team.......sadly, they are once again riddled with injuries, so we won't know what they could have been this season.  Of course, it's a no lose situation as another lottery pick will go a long way to building the future

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

fine and dandy, but they still had to ice a team and there would be no players to fill a Canucks team and a Comets team.  In the end, JB got back almost as many draft picks as he gave up and he got some good players for the Canucks in the process.

This draft should be interesting. I hope that JB has a chance at grabbing Liljgren. And will be interested to see what gems he's able to find with the remaining picks.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

i agree completely that they need to employ a system and style that does not revolve around the twins anymore, their time has clearly passed as the engine that drives the organization.  

I believe this team, when healthy, is a playoff bubble team.......sadly, they are once again riddled with injuries, so we won't know what they could have been this season.  Of course, it's a no lose situation as another lottery pick will go a long way to building the future

Our D will continue to get injured, blocking shots and taking hits, because of the incredibly passive style of game coached into the group.  Just read Forsberg's post from a few minutes ago.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not hard to ice a hockey team that finished with 75 points.  And it's been at the detriment of the comets rosters.  That team would look much different in Jensen (could have been claimed on waivers), Shinkaruk and Forsling were on that roster today. 

Like I said, we've traded almost an entire years draft away on players that have turned out do nothing for this franchise.  I just have more faith in him getting good players in the draft than in the trading for young, unproven high risk, department.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's not hard to ice a hockey team that finished with 75 points.  And it's been at the detriment of the comets rosters.  That team would look much different in Jensen (could have been claimed on waivers), Shinkaruk and Forsling were on that roster today. 

Like I said, we've traded almost an entire years draft away on players that have turned out do nothing for this franchise.  I just have more faith in him getting good players in the draft than in the trading for young, unproven high risk, department.

If Benning is okay with ending the reclamation project portion of the stealth rebuild, I'm happy with that. The age gap he wanted to address seems now adequately served. Time to focus solely on the draft and the future.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Benning is okay with ending the reclamation project portion of the stealth rebuild, I'm happy with that. The age gap he wanted to address seems now adequately served. Time to focus solely on the draft and the future.

That should've been the first thing that was done.

Archived