The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacIntyre's three thoughts: It's over for the Canucks, probably over for Desjardins

VanGnome

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Well said...drafting, trading and acquiring prospects and/ or vets all require a common thing...evaluating talent.

JB drafting results are yet to be determined because his draft picks haven't reached the NHL level. His decisions to acquire prospects and/ or vets to fill the talent gap are questionable (for the most part, he has put a stamp on this team with these acquisitions)...standings don't lie and several of his prospects/ vets have already moved on because they could not play at the NHL level or did not produce with the Canucks. Interesting to note that JB was quick to take credit for the 100+ point season in his first year after acquiring Miller, Vrbata, etc.

JB has one more year to put his stamp on this team; this is when some contracts come due which gives him more cap space to acquire needed talent.

The end of 2017/ 2018 season will result in 100% JB's team; after this year, Gillis, Nonis and other past GMs are no longer accountable for the make up of this team. The only contract in existence will be Edler's prior to JB arriving (Sedin's and Hansen's will end in 2018). Even after the 2017/ 2018 season, it will take a few years to see if JB's draft picks are good or not. At this time, however, we will see the true direction this team will be taking under JB's guidance.

Joulevi vs Tkachuk decision will also play out in the next 4-5 years...hopefully this decision pans out for the Canucks.

Take solace in the fact at least that when JB drafted Olli over Tkachuk, he was thinking about the future and not the win now aspect of the franchise.

Since we are losing, can we at least see some of the players who come from Utica. Bring some of them up for a few games and see what happens. The team isn't going anywhere anyways. At least give the fans something to talk about that's positive. I remember when Gaunce, Tryamkin, Hutton, Stetcher,  played thier first game, everyone was drooling over the possibilities. I'll ride the wave as in we don't have to win all the time but let me see how the kids can handle a few games. Let me see Subban, Pedan, Cassels, and Grenier. I've already seen Megna and Chaput, let me see someone new without making a trade.

4 minutes ago, smokes said:

Since we are losing, can we at least see some of the players who come from Utica. Bring some of them up for a few games and see what happens. The team isn't going anywhere anyways. At least give the fans something to talk about that's positive. I remember when Gaunce, Tryamkin, Hutton, Stetcher,  played thier first game, everyone was drooling over the possibilities. I'll ride the wave as in we don't have to win all the time but let me see how the kids can handle a few games. Let me see Subban, Pedan, Cassels, and Grenier. I've already seen Megna and Chaput, let me see someone new without making a trade.

You'll get to see new players soon enough. There's no need to bring guys up to this tire fire just cuz:

**SHINY & NEW**

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

A good coach would stop listening to them and break them up. Spread their skill and experience through the lineup. They are too slow to be together all the time and unless they get a new mindset on the PP then the same goes there. WD repeats the same mistakes over and over hoping the outcome will change.

That is just my take as a spectator.

Or the team just really sucks!:o 

I said that they would get 78 points and I still see them in that area. The youth have showed well a times and now need to bring it every night. They need a coach they lets them have the opportunity to get there instead of always going back to the old trough. I will bet you that most fans watch just to see how the kids do!

That's my knock on Willie. A hard nosed career NHL guy like Gallant is probably not going to get intimidated by veterans. 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You'll get to see new players soon enough. There's no need to bring guys up to this tire fire just cuz:

**SHINY & NEW**

It would be interesting to know what message is being delivered to the younger players behind closed doors versus what is being delivered to the fanbase.

I hope that Benning isn't trying to sell the present sow's ear as a silk purse. The winning environment is an illusion right now, as this team is more like a DC-10 with two engines down trying to land on a runway covered in tarantulas.

15 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Babcock doesn't look like a deer in the headlights when his team is down. Nor does he make goofy line combo's. Or forget to use his time outs. 

Talent doesn't make the coach, coaches, the good ones anyway, find ways to be noticed no matter whats on the bench. They do get blamed though for misusing talent, and Willie has done that over and over. 

I think your use of the term 'talent' is greatly over-stated.

Granted a good coach with experience may not get so frazzled, or be able to act quicker.

Coaching is one of the least identifiable aspects of the game; especially from a spectator perspective.

Attempting to analyze the coaching is really grabbing at straws; unless you've been to all the practices, team meetings, player meetings, and travel.

The Canucks lack talent, and their best players are in decline. Similar to what the Kings have been struggling with. Ruff, Sutter, Julien, Byslma etc... used to be considered good coaches. They probably still are; but take away top shelf talent, insert shoddy D and the coach starts to look average; or look as though nothing special seems to pop out at you.

I won't say Vigneault and Willie are comparable, but the chatter about replacing the coach is comparable when we wrongly got rid of Alain... It wasn't his fault that Lou and Kesler were babies.

I've played on a lot of teams.  Some bad teams, some good teams.  What I know for sure is that the guy that wrote this article is the guy you don't want on your team.  OMG, the sky is falling, there's nothing we can do.  The last thing you want is the guy that wants to throw in the towel.  The focus always needs to be on how to get better.  If this turns into another 9 game win-less streak, it might be time to talk about coaching personnel.  The roster makes this a bubble team at best and a few potentially solid pieces are currently missing (Edler, Tanev, Rodin, Virtanen).  The 4th line is AHL quality.  The future isn't so dismal, since there are solid draft picks who are currently developing in the NCAA, which keeps them out of the NHL/AHL view port and unavailable for call up or the younger picks are developing in Junior, one or two of whom could be stellar.  If Willie has completely lost the room, it's time for a change.  Oherwise, cut him some slack for a bit and see what develops.  The team was projected to how many points by all the 'experts' this year?

3 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

I think your use of the term 'talent' is greatly over-stated.

Granted a good coach with experience may not get so frazzled, or be able to act quicker.

Coaching is one of the least identifiable aspects of the game; especially from a spectator perspective.

Attempting to analyze the coaching is really grabbing at straws; unless you've been to all the practices, team meetings, player meetings, and travel.

The Canucks lack talent, and their best players are in decline. Similar to what the Kings have been struggling with. Ruff, Sutter, Julien, Byslma etc... used to be considered good coaches. They probably still are; but take away top shelf talent, insert shoddy D and the coach starts to look average; or look as though nothing special seems to pop out at you.

I won't say Vigneault and Willie are comparable, but the chatter about replacing the coach is comparable when we wrongly got rid of Alain... It wasn't his fault that Lou and Kesler were babies.

Yah I do think getting rid of AV was a mistake as well. 

I'm basing it on results: the constipated offence, strange line moves, so-so kid development. For sure its tough to gauge the reality of the locker room from a PC, but do you get the sense the players look up to Willie, or is he like most of his supporters say, he's "OK".

IMO "OK" can't be what we aspire to even when rebuilding. 

7 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I've played on a lot of teams.  Some bad teams, some good teams.  What I know for sure is that the guy that wrote this article is the guy you don't want on your team.  OMG, the sky is falling, there's nothing we can do.  The last thing you want is the guy that wants to throw in the towel.  The focus always needs to be on how to get better.  If this turns into another 9 game win-less streak, it might be time to talk about coaching personnel.  The roster makes this a bubble team at best and a few potentially solid pieces are currently missing (Edler, Tanev, Rodin, Virtanen).  The 4th line is AHL quality.  The future isn't so dismal, since there are solid draft picks who are currently developing in the NCAA, which keeps them out of the NHL/AHL view port and unavailable for call up or the younger picks are developing in Junior, one or two of whom could be stellar.  If Willie has completely lost the room, it's time for a change.  Oherwise, cut him some slack for a bit and see what develops.  The team was projected to how many points by all the 'experts' this year?

It's a good thing he's not on the team, but paid to write about them.  So sick of cdc people only wanting to read homer articles that only praises the team and never criticizes them.  If the media doesn't write only good things about the canucks, then cdc people attack them trump style.  A lot of cdc people are so thin skinned when it comes to criticizing the canucks.

Archived