The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duchene and Landeskog could be hitting the market

billabong

I'm not entirely against getting Duchene as he will surely help us but I rather just keep our assets and stay the course. 

Draft skilled center Mittelstadt with our 1st, draft a guy like Marcus Davidsson with our 2nd

Boom....2 skilled centers that should turn into something that will help us.

I like Mittelstadt much like Boeser but a quicker skater. Davidsson is already a season into SHL at only 18 and will only improve and should see time at the WJC.

I rather not spend away our draft picks and our Defensive depth that we worked so long to build up but if we do decide to part with a D then ya, hope it's a guy like Duchene coming our way.

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Warhippy said:

Duchene has hit the 70 point mark once.  

Sakic is asking for a top prospect.  A top 4 defenseman under 26 years ish.  A first round pick plus possibly more according to Garrioch and TSN

Sorry.  Non starter.  He's a great 2nd line center but screw that noise.

Yea. Im kind of leaning towards... Joe has been indulging too much with the bud in Colorado. 

Not worth that asking price. 

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Warhippy said:

Duchene has hit the 70 point mark once.  

Sakic is asking for a top prospect.  A top 4 defenseman under 26 years ish.  A first round pick plus possibly more according to Garrioch and TSN

Sorry.  Non starter.  He's a great 2nd line center but screw that noise.

That might be Sakics asking price but GM's rarely get that full price.

I'm sure if he gets a good D to help his current cast then I'm sure he is happy

23 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I'm not entirely against getting Duchene as he will surely help us but I rather just keep our assets and stay the course. 

Draft skilled center Mittelstadt with our 1st, draft a guy like Marcus Davidsson with our 2nd

Boom....2 skilled centers that should turn into something that will help us.

I like Mittelstadt much like Boeser but a quicker skater. Davidsson is already a season into SHL at only 18 and will only improve and should see time at the WJC.

I rather not spend away our draft picks and our Defensive depth that we worked so long to build up but if we do decide to part with a D then ya, hope it's a guy like Duchene coming our way.

I suspect the cost would be more than the Canucks could afford. I am willing to see Tanev go for a forward prospect and draft pick but am not willing to see multiple assets going for Duchene. The development time line for the Canucks lends itself to developing their own assets.

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect the cost would be more than the Canucks could afford. I am willing to see Tanev go for a forward prospect and draft pick but am not willing to see multiple assets going for Duchene. The development time line for the Canucks lends itself to developing their own assets.

I was thinking along the same lines when I wrote my post. I'm ok with getting Duchene if it doesn't cost us too much. I can't see Nashville entering the spree as they've made a few changes the past year or so that they are getting used to and might not want to part with too much depth they too have built up. They traded Jones and if they part with another D then that leaves too big of a hole with not much in terms of prospects coming up the pipe.

Us getting Duchene certainly helps our succession plan for Henrik tho and that issue is also very important.

Duchene ? Yep, let's make this team even softer in the hope the refs change their habit of a lifetime and don't throw the rule book away come the playoffs.

It seems that it is not only our management who lose focus.

Now Landeskog, that is a different proposition altogether.

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah NSH makes sense too, without any moves they are going to lose either Ekholm or Ellis in expansion anyway

Doubtful - it's highly likely that they will protect 4Ds

Josi, Ekholm, Subban, Ellis

Forsberg, Neal, Johansen, Arvidsson

Their forward group is not worth protecting over the Ds.  Smith and Wilson are not really living up to expectations and the others are complementary players.

15 hours ago, Pears said:

Rumour that Nashville is interested and he'd be a perfect fit there IMO. Ekholm, Fiala, 1st?

They can't afford to move Ekholm.  Their other LD is Josi and he has a history of concussions.  After Josi and Ekholm, they have Bitetto but he can't play that kind of minutes - he's averaging under 12min right now.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

Doubtful - it's highly likely that they will protect 4Ds

Josi, Ekholm, Subban, Ellis

Forsberg, Neal, Johansen, Arvidsson

Their forward group is not worth protecting over the Ds.  Smith and Wilson are not really living up to expectations and the others are complementary players.

Their captain mike fisher is someone they will want to protect and if they can flip a d into another top 6 center that might be something they woukd consider. 

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Their captain mike fisher is someone they will want to protect and if they can flip a d into another top 6 center that might be something they woukd consider. 

He is a UFA and he will only play in Nashville.  There is no reason for them to waste a spot on him.  They'll sign him after expansion.

They need a C2 but I don't see them moving Ekholm because of Josi's concussion history (over 5 already).  On RD they could maybe move Ellis and go with Irwin - he played with Josi when Subban was out but it's not ideal.  

At C they have Fisher (assuming he continues to play), Jarnkrok (if he doesn't get picked by Vegas) and they are hoping for Kamenev to make the jump in the bottom 6 next season.  Sissons and Watson can also play C.  It's indeed weak after Johansen and Fisher is more of a C3 but it's manageable, while at D it's more troublesome for them right now.  Poile wanted to draft Ds because they have no depth at D.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

He is a UFA and he will only play in Nashville.  There is no reason for them to waste a spot on him.  They'll sign him after expansion.

That's a pretty big risk and if they get caught making that type of negotiation could forfeit picks.

"There has to be a high level of diligence to make sure those things don't happen and to make sure people know there will be significant penalties imposed if they were to screw around with the rules,'' Daly said.

Daly said violators of the expansion rules forgo a first-round draft pick, so penalties in the same vein would be "appropriate." New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero insisted anyone would be crazy to attempt that type of circumvention.

It would be pretty hard to prove that was NSH's intention and I certainly do believe some of that will be going on but it's still a risk.

They need a C2 but I don't see them moving Ekholm because of Josi's concussion history (over 5 already).  On RD they could maybe move Ellis and go with Irwin - he played with Josi when Subban was out but it's not ideal.  

They do have a few young promising players in the AHL right now  Carrier, and Murphy are both having very good seasons and Dougherty is doing not bad for his first full AHL season.  Sure they might be a year or two away from making impacts in the NHL but their depth isn't that bad and farther out they have Fabbro and Girard.  Especially if Av's are willing to add in a D into the offer.  Gelinas/Wierchioch or even see if Beauchemin is willing to waive his NMC.

At C they have Fisher (assuming he continues to play), Jarnkrok (if he doesn't get picked by Vegas) and they are hoping for Kamenev to make the jump in the bottom 6 next season.  Sissons and Watson can also play C.  It's indeed weak after Johansen and Fisher is more of a C3 but it's manageable, while at D it's more troublesome for them right now.  Poile wanted to draft Ds because they have no depth at D.  

If all you said was true you wouldn't be hearing there name in rumours. NSH knows the price AV's are looking for and yet still are in on the Duchene interest.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-duchene-on-predators-radar~1047202

Archived