The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Lets hope not. Nasland was nothing more than a stat guy that choked when the big games came. He was soft. Overrated by Canucks fans. I'm so glad that era is over. I liked him but he wasn't the leadership Canucks should have had. Bad choice for "C". Lets hope Rodin has a nasty side to him.

No one's saying Rodin will ever wear a letter here. You have no idea his personal character traits anyways so an argument relating him to Naslund in the sense of their leadership abilities is compeletely pointless. Their only common trait is both being swedish.

Kinda sounds like a stereotype now doesn't it?

And personally I thought Naslund was a great captain for the Canucks. Was he not the second longest serving in our history? Need to be doing something right for that now.

ljkgn.png

'Hey guys , ya think ive got potential?!"

I think if you want an accurate assessment.....ask Canuckster19, he interviewed Rodin last year....he would probably be able to weigh in (pun intended) if he did get bigger.

Edited by BedBeats™

another article about Anton Rodin, this one in The Province

Another seasoning year for Rodin in Swedish Elite League

Chance for way more ice time

Canucks prospect Anton Rodin will return to his Swedish homeland to play another season with Brynas of the Swedish Elite League.The fleet, left-shot right-winger had a tough time in his first season in the SEL, getting five minutes or less of ice-time in the first half of the season, but had a terrific world junior tournament for his country and is going back to Brynas with the understanding that he'll get to play a more prominent role this season.

Still just 19, Rodin managed just 1-4-5 in 36 regular-season games, but the Canucks are nonetheless very high on the Stockholm native they selected in the second round (53rd overall) of last year's NHL entry draft.

Vancouver got some business done in late May, signing Rodin to a three-year, entry-level deal that will pay him $525,000-$575,000-$700,000 at the NHL level, but that won't kick in until after next season. Brynas will pay Rodin's salary in the upcoming season, so his NHL contract will "slide" and not come into effect until the 2011-12 season, according to Canucks director of player personnel Dave Gagner.

Rodin, in town for the Canucks' annual prospects camp this week, said going from junior to Sweden's top pro league was a challenge last year -- especially for a player used to playing a ton and putting up lots of points.

"It was tough, but I think it went better in the second half of the season and in playoffs," said Rodin. "A lot of games I would play five minutes or less and in juniors I would play a lot more. But I have no regrets. It was a good experience for me."

Rodin's high-end skill set offset any concerns about his size when the Canucks drafted him. He was listed, generously, as 5-foot-11 and 174 pounds. He's now up to 6-feet and 178 pounds, which isn't too far off Mason Raymond's size.

Rodin was one of Sweden's top players at the world juniors, producing 3-7-10 in six games and it started off the New Year in the right direction for him.

"I came out of it with a lot more confidence," he said. "I know I can produce goals and points."

Although it was expected that Rodin would play for the Canucks' AHL affiliate in Winnipeg this season, Gagner said a return to Brynas makes more sense.

"He had the experience last year of playing with Brynas, he's a year older, a year better," said Gagner. "They've made some recent changes where some of the older guys haven't been re-signed and he feels he's going to get a chance to play.

"If he was to come over here and disrupt that we might be jeopardizing his chances of getting a lot of ice time this year."

jjamieson@theprovince.com

Canucks drafting has really improved the past 10 years or so. Sure there was the odd mistake (Patrick White) but every team has some.

Rodin could be another gem.

It was a crap shoot by the time we got to White that year.

What shocking improvement? he looks exactly the same its just a camera angle ffs.

not to mention that in the pic from last year, he's relaxed, standing up........this years pic he is lifting weights and his muscles are flexed.......pretty tough to compare.