The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Didn't realize he could shoot the puck so well.

Yup, drew some Naslund comparisons but I think he's still a step below that unless his shot has really improved. Fast, skilled player, not as shifty as we've seen from Shinkaruk, and had a little trouble adjusting to the closed down time and space in the AHL and finding the dirty areas. Injuries didn't help either.

On 11/13/2015, 2:00:14, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

According to Swedish media, Rodin only had soreness and there was never a broken bone. So I'm not sure where that Benning quote came from (maybe something lost in translation).

And Rodin played last night in Brynas' 5-1 victory over Rogle, so he's definitely not out of the lineup: http://m.shl.se/live/4952

That said, he did only play 16:03 (usually averages around 20 minutes) so they're probably easing him back into the lineup until he's pain-free and 100%.

But the good news is that the reports of a serious injury appear to be erroneous, as Rodin is still playing and isn't expected to miss any future games. So Benning's scouting trip to Sweden this winter (and a possible signing) are still very much in the cards (so long as somebody tells JB that Rodin doesn't have a broken collarbone).

Must have been a preliminary report before they got all the results back, maybe even combined with a little translation shift. Good news and would love to see him succeed after following him in the AHL and seeing flashes of his skill.

32 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If Rodin is brought in before the end of the NHL season, he'd have to pass thru waivers since he played on a pro-Euro team, right? Probably a better strategy to try to lure him for next season?

Or this an old rule? Or am I just wrong? 

I don't think the re entry waiver rule is still around. Not 100% sure though. 

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If Rodin is brought in before the end of the NHL season, he'd have to pass thru waivers since he played on a pro-Euro team, right? Probably a better strategy to try to lure him for next season?

I don't think that applies anymore. Burmistrov to the Jets nor Radulov to the Preds a couple seasons ago had to go through waivers. And we still have his rights until 2018, so I think it's fine

On 11/22/2015, 11:29:59, Teemu Selänne said:

This is only for UFAs signed by a new team. RFAs or players whose rights are still held by their previous NHL team don't have to do so. That's why in the ROR situation, Calgary would have had to put him through waivers and probably lost him had they successfully offer sheeted him, but Colorado wouldn't have since he was their property.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, elvis15 said:

This is only for UFAs signed by a new team. RFAs or players whose rights are still held by their previous NHL team don't have to do so. That's why in the ROR situation, Calgary would have had to put him through waivers and probably lost him had they successfully offer sheeted him, but Colorado wouldn't have since he was their property.

Makes sense, thx. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, WestlockWarrior said:

Rodin w. A nice power play goal.  He is playing the Nazzy half board position on the PP.  The whole Byrnas offence looks for him.  Byrnas is up 1-0 in the 2nd period.  

Legit pesopect doing it against men.  

But can he create offensive on  his own? If the whole team is feeding him the puck and thats whats driving his offensive then he wouldn't succeed at the NHL level

Edited by Gstank29

7 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

But can he create offensive on  his own? If the whole team is feeding him the puck and thats whats driving his offensive then he wouldn't succeed at the NHL level

He isn't Niklas Backstrom if that's what you mean by creating on his own. 

If I had to compare him to anybody it's Louis Ericksson 

Ive seen about 12 Brynas G games this year and Rodin has been a standout not only for his team but also vsing the other team. 

14 goals in 25 games now with absolutely no help. One of BGs best player is Patrick Westerholm a 6th rnd throw in pick of the Canucks in 2011 along w. His twin brother Ponthus. 

I loved the Rodin pick at 53rd overall, I want either him or Tatar. Tatar sauce went to the wings at 60th overall. Of course it would have been nice to get Tyson Barrie who went at 63rd overall. 

I thought Rodin started putting everything together.  He had a tough time w. Shoulder injury and adjustment to the NA style game when he was w. The Wolves.  He will definitely be given plenty of look next fall. 

Is he eligible to join the Utica playoff run in April ?

• Upvote 1

Brynas was down 2-1 going into the 3rd and Rodin just went off !!

He could have had a natural hat trick in the 3rd w. All the chances he had but the other teams goalie was solid. 

Rodin was relentless and finally scored w. 1 min 45 seconds left to tie it up. 

Brynas scores w. 40 seconds left and they win 3-2 

Rodin w. 2 goals and was 1st star of the game again. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestlockWarrior said:

He isn't Niklas Backstrom if that's what you mean by creating on his own. 

If I had to compare him to anybody it's Louis Ericksson 

I guess what im really asking is, if he had someone like dorsett or prust on his line could he still produce on his own? Or would he need someone like the jamie benn inorder to produce offensively.

1 hour ago, Gstank29 said:

I guess what im really asking is, if he had someone like dorsett or prust on his line could he still produce on his own? Or would he need someone like the jamie benn inorder to produce offensively.

Everyone would produce more effectively with Jamie Benn. But he should be surrounded with some skill to be effective, much like we'd think with Shinkaruk or Baertschi.

#Canucks prospect/property Anton Rodin with 2G today for Brynas - he now has 32 PTS (15-17-32) in 25 SHL games.