The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

On 12/21/2015 at 2:12 PM, canuktravella said:

hamhuis isnt very good gets beat skating  causes turnovers with lazy passes and povides no offenseid rather pedan and biega    id target brent burns july 1st hed help our  weak blueline 

Yah, coz the Sharks are going to deal their best player who so happens to have a friendly cap hit with another year to go to a division rival that comes knocking on their door to make a deal.  Yup...that's sure to happen.  In bizarro world.

• Upvote 1

No room for Rodin unless we really clean house. Got to get rid of Burrows and Higgins, let the new guys bring leadership. Higgins, Burrows, Prust and Dorsett are hurting this team but it'll be almost impossible to move them all. We likely have to hold on to Dorsett and Burrows unfortunately.

Then there's Shinkaruk and Gaunce in the wings who IMO deserve to be in the NHL full time this season. Scoring at around a point per game in the AHL, they both belong here.

Sedin - Sedin - UFA (Lucic/Okposo/Ladd/Boedkker, take your pick for 6M they all fit nicely)

Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen

Gaunce - Horvat - ?

Dorsett - McCann - Burrows

That ? could go to Shinkaruk or Virtanen, or maybe Rodin but unlikely. Boeser may even be good enough.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

No room for Rodin unless we really clean house. Got to get rid of Burrows and Higgins, let the new guys bring leadership. Higgins, Burrows, Prust and Dorsett are hurting this team but it'll be almost impossible to move them all. We likely have to hold on to Dorsett and Burrows unfortunately.

Then there's Shinkaruk and Gaunce in the wings who IMO deserve to be in the NHL full time this season. Scoring at around a point per game in the AHL, they both belong here.

Sedin - Sedin - UFA (Lucic/Okposo/Ladd/Boedkker, take your pick for 6M they all fit nicely)

Gaunce - Horvat - ?

That ? could go to Shinkaruk or Virtanen, or maybe Rodin but unlikely. Boeser may even be good enough.

I don't like the looks of that second line. Sutter and Hansen together make more of a checking line, putting Baertschi on it would nulify any chance for offense out of baertchi. 

Baertschi - Horvat -Shinkaruk/Rodin 

Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen deadly shutdown line that could pot a few goals. 

Also Sutter and Horvat could easily switch places if one guy is playing better offense than the other. 

31 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I don't like the looks of that second line. Sutter and Hansen together make more of a checking line, putting Baertschi on it would nulify any chance for offense out of baertchi. 

Baertschi - Horvat -Shinkaruk/Rodin 

Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen deadly shutdown line that could pot a few goals. 

Also Sutter and Horvat could easily switch places if one guy is playing better offense than the other. 

To be honest it'll really depend how the players progress during next year's training camp which will be a BIG one, and a huge turning point in this new era.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Jared McCann ends up our 2nd line center because of his offensive instincts. Play him with Baertschi as a skilled duo, and put Hansen on their line as the crease presence to clear up space and let the two skilled guys play.

A lot of things could happen and there's plenty of combinations that might work but it'll depend on who's the best player in half a year's time, which IMO could be just about any one. Any of our centers Sutter, Horvat or McCann could end up our 2nd best center by the end of next training camp.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be honest it'll really depend how the players progress during next year's training camp which will be a BIG one, and a huge turning point in this new era.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Jared McCann ends up our 2nd line center because of his offensive instincts. Play him with Baertschi as a skilled duo, and put Hansen on their line as the crease presence to clear up space and let the two skilled guys play.

A lot of things could happen and there's plenty of combinations that might work but it'll depend on who's the best player in half a year's time, which IMO could be just about any one. Any of our centers Sutter, Horvat or McCann could end up our 2nd best center by the end of next training camp.

Definitely agree, so many variables with the team right now. With Rodin looking good, Shinkaruk looking great so far this year and Baertschi starting to turn it on. All small guys though, hard to imagine all 3 being in the lineup at once. 

Although I don't see McCann being ready for 2nd line duty next year. Similar to Bo it's easy to get carried away after a good season and expect too much too soon. Anyone can look good in training camp, it's a whole new world once the regular season begins. I could see Sutter back on the Sedins wing though if McCann forces the coaches to play him more. 

3 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Definitely agree, so many variables with the team right now. With Rodin looking good, Shinkaruk looking great so far this year and Baertschi starting to turn it on. All small guys though, hard to imagine all 3 being in the lineup at once. 

Although I don't see McCann being ready for 2nd line duty next year. Similar to Bo it's easy to get carried away after a good season and expect too much too soon. Anyone can look good in training camp, it's a whole new world once the regular season begins. I could see Sutter back on the Sedins wing though if McCann forces the coaches to play him more. 

I don't know if I'd say they are that small. Shink and Baer are both 5'11 and Rodin is 6'. Shink has improved his physicality and play along the boards and if you have had the chance to see Rodin this year he has become really gritty and is really strong. They are definitley not towering over players but I don't think size would be an issue with bigger players around them. 

Agree with you on McCann and Sutter. I think we will see a similar set up down the middle like we have this season next year. Sutter will be up and down from the first line to the 2nd and Horvat will probably get more minutes than McCann still.

I don't think the Canucks ahve anything to lose bringing Rodin back, he has been absolutely outstanding this season and was named captain before it started. By far the best player in the league this season.

Be nice to see Rodin come back and get a shot at playing, seeing some other guys come over and have success transitioning to the nhl means there is hope. I realize more fail than succeed.

He could come over and it would allow Jake to go spend a year in Utica also. Which I think is a good thing helping him gain experience.

One of the vets will most likely be gone between now and next year, players who have contract via burrows/higgins. So that would also allow Shinkaruk a chance with the big club

hockeydb lists him as a left shooting right wing, anyone know his natural position, or if he can play multiple forward positions?

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Gaunce - Horvat - ?

I hope it's a clean house.  Higgins and Burrows have started to be come stall and their 7 mill (combined cap hit) is replaceable by players we have in the system.  Higgins might not have much value any more, but we could retain some salary on burrows and see if we can get a pick out of him.  He is a clutch playoff performer.  Prust was brought in for intimidation but he's basically a left handed Dorsett.  If Lucic is brought it, we have enough intimidation and If Pedan can step up in a regular role with possibly tryamkin, we'd have some mean size, so no more use for prust. So with that said..

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

(Lucic) - Horvat - Hansen

Baertschi - McCann- Rodin

Gaunce - Cracknell - Dorsett

Injuries will happen, so Shinkaruk will fit in and likely get 50-60 games.

Virtanen could benefit playing the year in the AHL, and in a year we can look to moving Dorsett (replaced by Grenier) and Hansen (to be replaced by Virtanen). Also Gaunce can move back to center, Or we could play sutter at center again and open up another spot on RW. So there is really lots of options.  

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I hope it's a clean house.  Higgins and Burrows have started to be come stall and their 7 mill (combined cap hit) is replaceable by players we have in the system.  Higgins might not have much value any more, but we could retain some salary on burrows and see if we can get a pick out of him.  He is a clutch playoff performer.  Prust was brought in for intimidation but he's basically a left handed Dorsett.  If Lucic is brought it, we have enough intimidation and If Pedan can step up in a regular role with possibly tryamkin, we'd have some mean size, so no more use for prust. So with that said..

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

(Lucic) - Horvat - Hansen

Baertschi - McCann- Rodin

Gaunce - Cracknell - Dorsett

Injuries will happen, so Shinkaruk will fit in and likely get 50-60 games.

Virtanen could benefit playing the year in the AHL, and in a year we can look to moving Dorsett (replaced by Grenier) and Hansen (to be replaced by Virtanen). Also Gaunce can move back to center, Or we could play sutter at center again and open up another spot on RW. So there is really lots of options.  

i agree. Maybe we slot McCann on the wing and Sutter at center unless McCann improves at the face off dot. I like that lineup, I wouldnt be opposed to moving dorsett out as he is too costly for a 4th liner imo.

What would your defence look like out of curoisity?

36 minutes ago, Yotes said:

i agree. Maybe we slot McCann on the wing and Sutter at center unless McCann improves at the face off dot. I like that lineup, I wouldnt be opposed to moving dorsett out as he is too costly for a 4th liner imo.

What would your defence look like out of curoisity?

I think our defence needs just as big of overhaul as the forward core. With Higgins, Burrows, Vbrata, Hamhuis, Prust out, that free's up around 19 million in cap space to made some big moves.  Lucic being one, and a D being the other.  Yandle and Byfuglein would be at the top of the list.  

In my eyes only Hutton and Tanev are the only two players that I see being part of the future core so everyone else would be expendable.  Ideally I would use Edler as a trading piece to go after a younger top 4 right handed D.  Hamonic, Gudbranson, are the two players i like.  or even work out different package for Bowey, as they already have Carlson, Niskanen and Orlov as there right handed D.  Edlers cap hit gone gives us even more money to spend on 4-5 year stop gap (yandle) to fill in as a top 4 D while we draft and develop our own replacement.  Dream world that all works out and we have,

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson/Hamonic

Pedan Sbisa

Tryamkin

Along with a Sergachev, Juolevi, or Fabbro from our 2016 pick.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

8 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I don't know if I'd say they are that small. Shink and Baer are both 5'11 and Rodin is 6'. Shink has improved his physicality and play along the boards and if you have had the chance to see Rodin this year he has become really gritty and is really strong. They are definitley not towering over players but I don't think size would be an issue with bigger players around them. 

Agree with you on McCann and Sutter. I think we will see a similar set up down the middle like we have this season next year. Sutter will be up and down from the first line to the 2nd and Horvat will probably get more minutes than McCann still.

I don't think the Canucks ahve anything to lose bringing Rodin back, he has been absolutely outstanding this season and was named captain before it started. By far the best player in the league this season.

Listing heights really doesn't say anything when talking size of player relative to effectiveness. Mason Raymond was 6feet tall, Theo Fleury was 5'9. Know what I mean? Little difference in size and effectiveness.

None of those three are close to 200lbs and will have trouble in the board battles. However from what I have seen of Shink and Rodin is that they are tenacious on the puck and will cause plenty of turnovers which can makeup for lack of size, but on the NHL spectrum they are definitely small players. 

• 3 weeks later...

Man, hopefully that's nothing serious, especially with him seemingly on a roll this year. It'd be nice to see him turn into something for us and for him to find success in his career.

And just so there's no confusion:

Edited by elvis15

such unfortunate news, especially to happen during practice. He was having another good year over their, and I was hoping the Canucks were going to give him a 1yr deal to try make and be a contributor to the big club.

These injuries can take a while to heal from I do believe, Bieksa had an injury like this.

And now he's done for the year:

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/1/19/canucks-prospect-anton-rodin-s-season-is-over-after-major-injury-in-practice

...the injury was severe enough that Rodin was sent to the hospital to have it examined and it is expected that he will have surgery later today.

Given this, it likely spells the end of Rodin's season and will be a huge loss for Brynas. For Rodin, who was making some serious waves in the SHL this year, this puts a huge roadblock in his possible return to North America. Rodin is currently second in SHL and had caught the attention of many NHL scouts. Rodin was regularly playing over twenty minutes a night while putting up 1.12 PPG and averaging 2.75 shots on goal per game.

Yeah, not good any time you sever a tendon even partially, but that's rough.

Yeah, had some trouble when he played with the Wolves in the AHL that hampered him as well, but this is pretty much a freak accident. Then again, so was Salo's Achillies I guess (or would you classify that under injury prone still?) but it is something we'll have to see how well he rebounds from it.