The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ARIZONA COYOTES @ VANCOUVER CANUCKS | JAN.4 | 7:00PM | SNP | TSN 1040 |

J-23

53 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Aha wow Willie defended Sedins an the Megna line , said we are not just a one line team . Meanwhile in denial about that left side spot. He was very defensive for a coach with shrink training it was somewhat surprising to hear.

The Sedin line has been somewhat struggling to put points on the board recently despite the most ice time .

I think Willie needs to try another left winger an keep spinning his Russian roulette wheel till he can re-ignite that line.

6 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Aha wow Willie defended Sedins an the Megna line , said we are not just a one line team . Meanwhile in denial about that left side spot. He was very defensive for a coach with shrink training it was somewhat surprising to hear.

The Sedin line has been somewhat struggling to put points on the board recently despite the most ice time .

I think Willie needs to try another left winger an keep spinning his Russian roulette wheel till he can re-ignite that line.

uh, what?

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Think he makes a great point about Megna in response to a loaded question.

It's about the best makeup of all the lines as a whole.

Does Megna make the 1st line better than they would be with Sutter or Eriksson?  Probably not.  But it arguably makes the team better as a whole - and I think he's bang on with that assessment.

Megna's speed and puck support helps the Sedins - while having the other two lines being stronger than they otherwise would be - balances the lineup and plays better into their roles imo.

Replacing Megna with Rodin doesn't effect the other lines.

Iain Macintyr wrote a great piece on this today.

“I don’t think I know what we have with him yet,” Desjardins said after Tuesday’s practice. “I don’t think it’s fair for two games to try to decide. It’s unfair to take that sample size to make a decision. But sometimes that’s the sample size you get, too. Who knows how many games you get to look at him?

“It’s a hard one because every game is so important. Every shift is so important. Last four games are all one-goal games; it’s not like one shift isn’t critical. That puts the onus on him to be good when he gets the chance, and the onus on us to make sure we get a good evaluation.”

Desjardins said Burrows has been good with Horvat and Baertschi, and for the most part he has been. But even with the Canucks on a four-game winning streak, it’s hard to see how, say, fourth-liners Brendan Gaunce (no goals, four assists in 34 games) and Michael Chaput (zero and three in 27) are indispensable.

And while a fourth-line checking role isn’t a good fit for Rodin, Burrows or first-line fill-in Jayson Megna can play there.

There seems to be a lack of urgency within the Canucks to see their experiment through on Rodin.

“I’ve been through this before in my career; it’s always frustrating to deal with,” Rodin said of waiting for his chance. “You just have to play each game like it’s your last one. You have to play to earn the coach’s trust, so he wants you in the lineup and thinks you can contribute to the team. It’s my job to take care of that.”

Rodin said he hasn’t questioned his decision to return to the Canuck organization after going home to Sweden in 2013 following two unhappy and unproductive seasons in the American League.

“Even in Sweden, every hockey-playing kid, the dream is to play in the NHL,” he said. “And it has been my dream since I was a little kid. Home is always going to be there; I can always go back. But I’d be pretty disappointed if I didn’t try this.”

He hasn’t yet been able to try anything.

Now to summarizing how I interpreted it. WD is saying he doesn't know when or even if Rodin will get the opportunity, but if he does, it's up to him to make sure that he shines during those moments, because if he doesn't he wont be playing.  Am i mis-reading these comments?  To me the is a terrible way to treat a former SEL MVP and the lack of opportunity leave a huge margin for us loosing out on a strong future asset.  Which comes back to, is Megna worth it?

Sounds a lot different from how another coach thinks you should handle skill players.

"You have to give players the opportunity and it should be a prolonged look to give the player confidence that you believe in him" - Travis green

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Whats going on with Willie and Rodin? Surely he's got a better shot than Chaput or Megna and should get a chance to play over these guys, no?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

As for Rodin, he's a 1/2 season behind every one else on being in NHL shape/game speed and is basically the equivalent of a mature rookie. How about we give him (and by extension WD) a few weeks-month to get up to speed, get in some practices, play a few games etc before we start the unnecessary bitching and whining about his ice time?  

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

uh, what?

He was asked if it was time to move from the Megna experiment on the Sedin line now.+/- have not noticed a 9 or 10 point night for line in a awhile 

Megna has not as of yet been able to convert any of his chances.

They are not playing badly but I know they are far better than they have been playing maybe they do need their minutes cut back down to at least 19 a night

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Now to summarizing how I interpreted it. WD is saying he doesn't know when or even if Rodin will get the opportunity, but if he does, it's up to him to make sure that he shines during those moments, because if he doesn't he wont be playing.  Am in mis reading these comments?  To me the is a terrible way to treat a former SEL MVP and the lack of opportunity leave a huge margin for us loosing out on a strong future asset.  Which comes back to, is Megna worth it?

I can't understand the Megna over Rodin thing, at least without trying it first. I get @oldnews point, but Megna isnt Hansen, not by a long shot, so why not try a guy who's a proven scorer from the right side?

3 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

He was asked if it was time to move from the Megna experiment on the Sedin line now.+/- have not noticed a 9 or 10 point night for line in a awhile 

They are not playing badly but I know they are far better than they have been playing maybe they do need their minutes cut back down to at least 19 a night

Sounds like you didn't remotely grasp WD's point. Also Megna is playing RW, not left.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Replacing Megna with Rodin doesn't effect the other lines.

No, but it effects the Sedin line.

Is Rodin as fast?  Is he as solid a forechecker, backchecker, on the cycle?

Does he have that ideal right handed shot that Megna does?

I'm not sure that Rodin is a better fit.

I'm not against Rodin playing, but I'd see him as a better fit perhaps on the Baertschi line, maybe with Burrows stepping up to the Sedin line.

But in the end, I don't pretend to see as much of these players as WD does, nor do I know how healthy they all are, etc.

Bottom line for me - I'm less concerned about how much scoring Megna does with the Sedins than I am with watching them get owned in their own zone.  I want to see a fleet, solid, two way player with them first and foremost - not sure that's Rodin.

2 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

I think it's time for McIntyre to move on from pretending to know a thing about hockey.

Just another armchair nerd that could be replaced by any other know-nothing media prattle jockey.

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I can't understand the Megna over Rodin thing, at least without trying it first. I get @oldnews point, but Megna isnt Hansen, not by a long shot, so why not try a guy who's a proven scorer from the right side?

It's not just about scoring.

The Sedins have some fundamental and primary needs that come before 'scoring' ability.

Those are the ability to get in on the forecheck.

The ability to get back in transition.

The ability to play in the hard areas - go to the net - sustain the cycle, etc.

The ability to pressure the puck when not in possession, play defense, retrieve loose pucks, etc.

Is Megna ideal?  No.  But does Rodin fit that description?  

Here's the even greater irony.

People wanted to see the Sedins transition downwards - ie to a 2nd line, eventually a 3rd line.

Well, that's what you're seeing. 

Right now they're no more important than Sutter and Horvat's line.

You can all thank WD for giving you what you wanted now.

Just now, oldnews said:

No, but it effects the Sedin line.

Is Rodin as fast?  Is he as solid a forechecker, backchecker, on the cycle?

yes, yes and yes.

Just now, oldnews said:

Does he have that ideal right handed shot that Megna does?

I'm not sure that Rodin is a better fit.

Does megna have an NHL shot?  Rodin in know for his shot, Burrows did ok with the twins shooting left.

Just now, oldnews said:

I'm not against Rodin playing, but I'd see him as a better fit perhaps on the Baertschi line, maybe with Burrows stepping up to the Sedin line.

I'd be fine with that.  It's not like their isn't plenty of options, putting Rodin with Granlund an Sutter could also work. or have granlund center between eriksson and Rodin with Sutter back with the twins.  It just doesn't make sense to have a highly regarded player, healthy not getting into games over a career AHLer.

Just now, oldnews said:

But in the end, I don't pretend to see as much of these players as WD does, nor do I know how healthy they all are, etc.

Bottom line for me - I'm less concerned about how much scoring Megna does with the Sedins than I am with watching them get owned in their own zone.  I want to see a fleet, solid, two way player with them first and foremost - not sure that's Rodin.

Bottom line for me is I believe Rodin can be a future impact top 9 player for this team with potential to be a top 6 player.  Very similar to Sven.  In the long run its more important finding out if we have that type of asset in Rodin than it is watching Megna play with the twins.  We have 40 games left to find out,  that's not a lot of games to forecast a career out of player.  I also don't believe taking Megna off the line with the twins is going to make or break whether we win or lose on a consistent basis.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

It's not just about scoring.

The Sedins have some fundamental and primary needs that come before 'scoring' ability.

Those are the ability to get in on the forecheck.

The ability to get back in transition.

The ability to play in the hard areas - go to the net - sustain the cycle, etc.

The ability to pressure the puck when not in possession, play defense, retrieve loose pucks, etc.

Is Megna ideal?  No.  But does Rodin fit that description?  

Maybe on the cycle and another scoring threat to compliment Daniel. I don't know what his D ability is. 

Don't you think part of the issue is teams don't have to worry about Megna's shot, so the line is easier to defend against than with Hansen e.g.? If the line is not a big a scoring threat, doesn't that necessitate a change? Its still supposed to be the top line right?

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

yes, yes and yes.

right.

then I guess we'll see Rodin with the Sedins then...

not likely.

Better on Horvat's line anyhow.

This is about McIntyre thinking the Megna experiment should end.  He's one of those eaters of low layng fruit.

Wouldn't make too many changes on a team with a 4 game winning streak......

Still lots of game left for the club to see what we have with  Rodin and Boucher

If anything, i would be tempted to scratch Burrows more often as he is likely not a piece moving forward for our club. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Maybe on the cycle and another scoring threat to compliment Daniel. I don't know what his D ability is. 

Don't you think part of the issue is teams don't have to worry about Megna's shot, so the line is easier to defend against than with Hansen e.g.? If the line is not a big a scoring threat, doesn't that necessitate a change? Its still supposed to be the top line right?

I don't know.  Is it?  I don't necessarily think so.

Megna has played a whole 27.8% of his 5 on 5 ice-time with the Sedins.

I couldn't care much less about the matter tbh.

EVERYONE KNOWS it's a temporary measure forced by injuries to RWs - and that we have plenty of talent on the way at that position.

The team is winning.

Much ado about micro-archairing imo.

Moreover, Rodin is just shaking off the rust.  There is simply no need to rush him into top line minutes.

Archived