The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

2 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

JB has publicly stated this season that moving forward he will be looking to aquire picks. It wouldn't be surprising if we have 4 or 5 picks in the first 2 rounds (we likely get the Torts 2nd this year based on CBJs season). Burr, Hansen and x factor should net more early round picks.

Would that be enough for you?

Yes. That is

We currently hold 5 picks in the entire draft. So I'm in a  wait and see stance at the moment to see if we actally do make moves.

It's unfortunate we didn't realize this during the deep 2015/16 drafts and are now doing it over the weakened 2017 draft. But better late than  never.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Yes. That is

We currently hold 5 picks in the entire draft. So I'm in a  wait and see stance at the moment to see if we actally do make moves.

It's unfortunate we didn't realize this during the deep 2015/16 drafts and are now doing it over the weakened 2017 draft. But better late than  never.

How many picks did we have in the previous draft?  Was it 4 or 5?

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have never really been worried about being called a tanker, and much of my posts over the last 4 years have been trying to convince non-tankers that we really do need a re-build and not a retool. I have taken some pretty strong criticism, especially after the first year, when in the second year we ended up on high side of a hundred points, and the non-tankers jumped all over us, saying we didn't need to rebuild.....well 2 years later and now the non tankers are seeing things a little more clearly.......

The word "Tanker" was given to us, and to keep things straight, we have accepted the terminology, but in fact, what we are is realist that understand that there has to be turn over of veterans, and there has to be asset recovery for good veterans, as they move out......this is a fact of business, but non-tankers do not seem to understand this.

I understand the Non-tankers position, because it is made up of love and loyalty for their team and their players........what non-tankers do not understand is the love and loyalty of us tankers.....it is the same. And just like trying love a child, there are many ways to raise that child, not one is absolutely right all the time, nor absolutely wrong all the time.....but neither parent should be criticized for trying do it the best way they know how.

Now, I have critisized Benning for some of his moves, of trading away picks, or not moving UFA players, but the one thing he has done pretty well on a consistent basis is draft with the picks he has.......the argument over we should have pick Juolevi or Tkachuk is irreverent at this time as both are great prospects and only time will tell who wins that arguement (maybe both), but the general vibe that I was getting at the time was we needed to pick a high end defenseman.... jury is out for a few years on that....they are still young

Now Virtanen is a different agruement, but again, the night is young and I can wait a few years to see what happens in the end. after all, if Virtanen and Tkachuk both turned out, or rather we had picked Tkachuk and Nylander, where would we be in 2 years, with Hank and Dank  falling away.......

Would that have been enough to keep us as a contender when the Sedin's retire, and would we still be looking for that high end LD?

If Benning clears some of the Veterans out for decent picks and signs Broeser and Gaudette (which is extremely important), and has a good draft, I think we will be right on track. But that is a big "IF", and one he better not screw up!

As a tanker, we are right where we need to be, and now Benning needs to prove his salt! As a tanker that is all I ask!

I've said this before.  Benning is rebuilding and as he does this, he wants to have a real top line, real top pair and a good, proven goalie.  That's his framework.

We all understand that the Canucks have a unique situation because they had few players entering their prime when Benning took over.  An old core and a bunch of young guys.

Ok, to this point, he has had a top line of the Sedins and Hansen or Burrows, or Vrbata or Eriksson.  A top pair of Edler and Tanev.  And Miller in net.  Additional to this, he added Sutter to help shelter and mentor young players as the team turned over.

As the Sedin's near the end, how is the plan going?  Who is going to step up on the top line?

Horvat, I am comfortable, will be able to handle the 1C job by the end of next season (if he isn't already).  

Eriksson could very well play right wing with Horvat.  I'm liking them playing together.  He's a viable partner at least.

Baertschi I see as ultimately a 2nd line winger.  Unless Boeser hits a home run, Benning may dip into free agency to find the left winger.  

Bottom line, I think there are players to carry the freight if the Sedins are gone by the end of next season.  Whether they form the top line in the long term remains to be seen.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

2016 - 6 picks (1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 7)

2015 - 7 picks (1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7)

I read an argument on here that Benning recouped as many picks as he shipped out so he wasnt really diminishing our assets. 

But when you ship out 2nd and 3rds and return 5th-7th round picks. That is diminishing assets. It's like trading a twenty dollar bill for a five dollar bill. We have the same 'number' of bills. But mine are worth less. 

If the organization was a wallet. We've been steadily handing exchanging twenties for fives. We're dirt poor compared to our friends who save!

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

2016 - 6 picks (1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 7)

2015 - 7 picks (1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7)

I read an argument on here that Benning recouped as many picks as he shipped out so he wasnt really diminishing our assets. 

But when you ship out 2nd and 3rds and return 5th-7th round picks. That is and diminishing assets. It's like trading a twenty dollar bill for a five dollar bill. We have the same 'number' of bills. But mine are worth less. 

2017 - 6 picks for sure - 1, 2, 2 (Columbus 2017 or 2018), 3, 4 (conditional 4 or 5, Larsen trade w/ Edm), 5*, 6, 7

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Canucks.htm

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I've said this before.  Benning is rebuilding and as he does this, he wants to have a real top line, real top pair and a good, proven goalie.  That's his framework.

We all understand that the Canucks have a unique situation because they had few players entering their prime when Benning took over.  An old core and a bunch of young guys.

Ok, to this point, he has had a top line of the Sedins and Hansen or Burrows, or Vrbata or Eriksson.  A top pair of Edler and Tanev.  And Miller in net.  Additional to this, he added Sutter to help shelter and mentor young players as the team turned over.

As the Sedin's near the end, how is the plan going?  Who is going to step up on the top line?

Horvat, I am comfortable, will be able to handle the 1C job by the end of next season (if he isn't already).  

Eriksson could very well play right wing with Horvat.  I'm liking them playing together.  He's a viable partner at least.

Baertschi I see as ultimately a 2nd line winger.  Unless Boeser hits a home run, Benning may dip into free agency to find the left winger.  

Bottom line, I think there are players to carry the freight if the Sedins are gone by the end of next season.  Whether they form the top line in the long term remains to be seen.

I think we will see at least one if not two defenseman traded to bolster the front end within the next 12-24 months.  Juolevi and possibly Brisbois will make the top six making others expendable.  Tanev and Hutton are the obvious guys.  If Benning goes after teams with loads of offensive players that lack solid defense we could see a good return.  Not Hall like but maybe a Reinhart like player young with loads of upside.

Just now, Crabcakes said:

2017 - 6 picks for sure - 1, 2, 2 (Columbus 2017 or 2018), 3, 4 (conditional 4 or 5, Larsen trade w/ Edm), 5*, 6, 7

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Canucks.htm

Ah yes. Depends on the condition that columbus chooses this yr. Which they haven't declared. I do agree it's highly likely.

Here's hoping for 6!

38 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have never really been worried about being called a tanker, and much of my posts over the last 4 years have been trying to convince non-tankers that we really do need a re-build and not a retool. I have taken some pretty strong criticism, especially after the first year, when in the second year we ended up on high side of a hundred points, and the non-tankers jumped all over us, saying we didn't need to rebuild.....well 2 years later and now the non tankers are seeing things a little more clearly.......

The word "Tanker" was given to us, and to keep things straight, we have accepted the terminology, but in fact, what we are is realist that understand that there has to be turn over of veterans, and there has to be asset recovery for good veterans, as they move out......this is a fact of business, but non-tankers do not seem to understand this.

I understand the Non-tankers position, because it is made up of love and loyalty for their team and their players........what non-tankers do not understand is the love and loyalty of us tankers.....it is the same. And just like trying love a child, there are many ways to raise that child, not one is absolutely right all the time, nor absolutely wrong all the time.....but neither parent should be criticized for trying do it the best way they know how.

Now, I have critisized Benning for some of his moves, of trading away picks, or not moving UFA players, but the one thing he has done pretty well on a consistent basis is draft with the picks he has.......the argument over we should have pick Juolevi or Tkachuk is irreverent at this time as both are great prospects and only time will tell who wins that arguement (maybe both), but the general vibe that I was getting at the time was we needed to pick a high end defenseman.... jury is out for a few years on that....they are still young

Now Virtanen is a different agruement, but again, the night is young and I can wait a few years to see what happens in the end. after all, if Virtanen and Tkachuk both turned out, or rather we had picked Tkachuk and Nylander, where would we be in 2 years, with Hank and Dank  falling away.......

Would that have been enough to keep us as a contender when the Sedin's retire, and would we still be looking for that high end LD?

If Benning clears some of the Veterans out for decent picks and signs Broeser and Gaudette (which is extremely important), and has a good draft, I think we will be right on track. But that is a big "IF", and one he better not screw up!

As a tanker, we are right where we need to be, and now Benning needs to prove his salt! As a tanker that is all I ask!

We have been saying all along that it is now or latter. They just chose latter and now latter has arrived.

Lets just hope that they do not do another LE in the offseason to try to "stay competitive". Lets hope the owners have learned their lesson. We are in for a couple of lean years and that is what the doctor ordered.

22 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We have been saying all along that it is now or latter. They just chose latter and now latter has arrived.

Lets just hope that they do not do another LE in the offseason to try to "stay competitive". Lets hope the owners have learned their lesson. We are in for a couple of lean years and that is what the doctor ordered.

No matter how U re-build, every team still has VETS on it... LE will be our only Vet up front after next season. That's hardly going to be a problem...

6 minutes ago, hearditall said:

No matter how U re-build, every team still has VETS on it... LE will be our only Vet up front after next season. That's hardly going to be a problem...

I have no problem with LE and think he will be good going forward. I just don't want them trying to prop things up too much. I feel that we will need to pick high for this year and next.

I would not bring Miller back either. Sign a backup for less then a mill and play Marky. The year after the twins deal is up we would have some cap space to fill a couple of holes to go with the youth.

As long as we don't get anymore Virtanens.:rolleyes:  That means that there is no guaranties.

15 minutes ago, hearditall said:

No matter how U re-build, every team still has VETS on it... 

Truely facinating insight. You should blog, maybe with Botch. 

In you're unhumble opinion,  do you think THE TRUTH about taking somehow equates to not having any players around the 30-ish age on the team while auctioning off your top depreciating assets for appreciating picks/prospects during the rebuild? 

I am not a " Tanker "

I am a  " draft and develop your own players "

No more trading for  older formerly  highly drafted players that have been given up on by their former clubs....    

We will only get young elite talent by drafting our own and developing them properly. Don't give up on prospects that are developing slower than expected.....

To all the Benning apologists on this site.....  well - there are no short cuts in building a winning club...  DRAFT and DEVELOP is the only way. 

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Truely facinating insight. You should blog, maybe with Botch. 

In you're unhumble opinion,  do you think THE TRUTH about taking somehow equates to not having any players around the 30-ish age on the team while auctioning off your top depreciating assets for appreciating picks/prospects during the rebuild? 

Toronto -

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2017.html

Colorado -

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/2017.html

The ages are listed. Many many many players in the 30's on these 2 teams alone...:towel:

3 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Toronto -

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2017.html

Colorado -

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/2017.html

The ages are listed. Many many many players in the 30's on these 2 teams alone...:towel:

Some of the fans are a real chuckle aren't they. If the words rebuild or tank are mentioned they think strip down to nothing. All that most fans want is to try and get assets out of UFA's. Try not let them walk away for nothing. Hansen could be moved but only if the return is high. He is signed for another year and would probably resign.

Archived