The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

18 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What does all of this living in the past have to do with now? I hate to break up your love fest with the past but we have still never won the cup.

Be realistic it's a lot less crying, bitching & stressing way of life  Watched the 82 run 94 run with season tickets & 2011 pretty much on Granville st...

SO Suck it up princess. I don't cry over that. Just watch HOCKEY & hope my team plays hard & improves until we have that chance again. 

Especially don't cheer for them to lose & finish dead last so we can hope to win a lottery. Isn't that a losers way of thinking? Not sure any PRO athlete ever made it by losing on purpose...

"It was only 2:15 into the second period, but Stanley's tally proved to be the winning goal in a 12-3 romp, sealing Vancouver's first, and only, Stanley Cup championship on March 26, 1915."

The Canucks haven't won the Cup, but Vancouver has; and it was only 102 years ago.

17 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Be realistic it's a lot less crying, bitching & stressing way of life  Watched the 82 run 94 run with season tickets & 2011 pretty much on Granville st...

SO Suck it up princess. I don't cry over that. Just watch HOCKEY & hope my team plays hard & improves until we have that chance again. 

Especially don't cheer for them to lose & finish dead last so we can hope to win a lottery. Isn't that a losers way of thinking? Not sure any PRO athlete ever made it by losing on purpose...

So you are happy with never really winning anything. I have higher standers. I have followed them through all of though' years and now I want to see them become winners. I will not be happy with just a good team.

27 minutes ago, hearditall said:

How old are you? I'm surprised you said you watched the 82 canucks... Sorry the way you write always using "U" instead of "you" made me think you were like 20 years old!

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes JB is retooling the roster.  How many of those new guys he brought in are elite difference makers?  I see our only young elite difference maker is Bo.  

He's only drafted 3 times. Usually takes 3-5 years atleast for D.  Juolevi went #6 I imagine he's got potential. Tryamkin in the 3rd round. Brisbois? Stecher is looking pretty nice for a free signing. Gubranson is only 24 & was a #3 overall pick (the kind U say we need). 

U have to give Boeser, Gaudette few years before u can even judge what they are going to be. And to right off a 20 year old that can skate like the wind, shoot, & hit like a train shows your experience. Which is why U ask so many Q's & have all the answers yet JB's picks are literally years away from any judgement...  What if Virtanen does develop into what he's supposed to be? What if Demko is a Super Star goalie in this league one day? What if Boeser & Gaudette are equal or greater than Gudreau & Monohan? What if Horvat keeps developing into a better player than Bergeron...

Try patience & learn that this is how the NHL has ALWAYS worked. No team dominates forever & no team stays at the bottom for ever....Every team will hit on draft picks & U miss on draft picks.  

If you've followed drafts over 30 years not the last 5 U will see the real picture...

48 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So you are happy with never really winning anything. I have higher standers. I have followed them through all of though' years and now I want to see them become winners. I will not be happy with just a good team.

I'm happy in life in general. So I don't allow a Team to Control my emotions in a negative way. I 1st watch HOCKEY cause it's the best sport on the earth to watch. 2ndly I understand the cycles teams go thru so I watch with reality in mind but still cheer for MY TEAM when their not Cup Contenders (in other words not a wagon hopper). 3rdly I never want to watch MY TEAM ever LOSE on purpose.

Plus do some research & you'll realize that our drafting in the past has been pretty horrific since the 70's (that I can actually speak for) Especially our high 1st rounders......   

Compare the picks here & you'll realize that JB isn't that bad at all but the Canucks in general have been horrible overall excluding a few years.  Linden, Sedins, Kesler, Ohlund, Schneider & Neely but we never got to see that here...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

18 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Plus do some research & you'll realize that our drafting in the past has been pretty horrific since the 70's (that I can actually speak for) Especially our high 1st rounders......   

Pretty much agree with this - weird though in the 1999 NHL draft - which was a fairly horrible draft year (look at all the busts in the 1st round - including the guy picked 1st overall)....we have two 1st rounders that year (thanks to Burkie's 'wheeling & dealing') & they both end up likely HHOFers!

Even had I think four OTHER guys drafted in the first round that year play for the Canucks at one time.

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

How old are you? I'm surprised you said you watched the 82 canucks... Sorry the way you write always using "U" instead of "you" made me think you were like 20 years old!

Still have a few games recorded on the Beta Tapes of that playoff run. No lie... Tiger & R. Neilson were standouts in my memory. Got the Sun Paper Team picture clipping as well, Campbell Conference Champs. 

I was only 9 but never missed a game on AM 980 or Channel CKVU13. Hockey Night in Canada was a religion in our house & kinda still is...lol... 

Had season tickets in the 90's. Then kids came along & it was Hockey 1,2,3,4 Atom, Bantam, Peewee, Midget, Junior hockey so seasons had to go & invested in the PVR...

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

So by this part, are you saying that you'd be satisfied with the status quo of what's basically been a once per generation 'cinderella run' to the SCF with no happy ending?

I've only been able to witness the last 2 runs but I dont need to see that same show again. I dont really mind if our team loses the cup as long as they get back there in less than a decade and wins it, which they've obviously never been able to do. Seems like you would be more than happy with a team like we had pre-2011 (post-2000), which was a good team during the regular season that could never even come close in the playoffs.

I cant speak for everyone but I'd like to have a team here which can do more than just a fluke run once in a blue moon. Why shouldn't we strive to have a team like Chicago who can win cups and be a serious contender every year, or even LA and Pittsburgh to a lesser extent. The only way to achieve that in reality though is to draft high and draft the right guys. The "Canucks model" as of late will only ensure a lot of what we've already seen, which in the grand scheme of things isn't much. If that is satisfactory then isn't that the real "losers way of thinking"?

3 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

So by this part, are you saying that you'd be satisfied with the status quo of what's basically been a once per generation 'cinderella run' to the SCF with no happy ending?

I've only been able to witness the last 2 runs but I dont need to see that same show again. I dont really mind if our team loses the cup as long as they get back there in less than a decade and wins it, which they've obviously never been able to do. Seems like you would be more than happy with a team like we had pre-2011 (post-2000), which was a good team during the regular season that could never even come close in the playoffs.

I cant speak for everyone but I'd like to have a team here which can do more than just a fluke run once in a blue moon. Why shouldn't we strive to have a team like Chicago who can win cups and be a serious contender every year, or even LA and Pittsburgh to a lesser extent. The only way to achieve that in reality though is to draft high and draft the right guys. The "Canucks model" as of late will only ensure a lot of what we've already seen, which in the grand scheme of things isn't much. If that is satisfactory then isn't that the real "losers way of thinking"?

We have drafted High many times. (#2 & #3 Sedins, Linden #2, Nedved #2, #4 many times J.Gillis, Sandlak, Delago, JJ. Daigneault,  & other 1st rds. like Holden, Stojonov, D.Woodley, Herter, Schroeder, Jensen, White, etc.)  & yes have Never won the Cup.  Hello Buffalo, St.Louis, etc.  

So has 25+ other teams And they aren't Chicago, Pittsburgh...

U are right though U do have to draft 1st rounders & other Rounders that are the right picks in each round. Vancouver overall hasn't really done that well EVER at drafting excluding a few drafts over 40+ years. That's the part that hasn't been good enough.

Here do some research for yourself. Good to educate yourself before you start to dream of how easy it is to win the CUP from your couch...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

You do realize you won't get to take the cup home don't you? The Canucks winning the cup won't change your life in any way.

7 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Bo was predicted as a sure thing and safe draft pick. We were already claiming future team captain before he laced up his first game. His projections were great and he only went as late as he did in the draft because it was a ridiculously deep draft.

the guys we have waiting do not have those kind of ceilings unless they go beyond their potentials. You can hope and wish but Bad Santa said it best:

'Wish in one hand, #$%^ in the other and see which one fills up first"

Juolevi is not Drew Doubty, BB is not Parise, it would be great if they could become that, I'll just hope they can reach their draft ceilings at all before worrying about moonbeams and rainbows

Safe pick yes. But Bo was ranked 15th by Central Scouting (North American Skaters), 10th by International Scouting Services and 14th by McKeens Hockey. He was projected to be a middle 6 center. Had his skating in junior been what it is now I suspect he would have been ranked higher. Although Sportsnet said he could go as high as 7th because he was exactly what Edmonton was lacking at center, but they went with that other position they were sorely lacking: defense. Btw, Central Scouting had Virtanen ranked 6th.

"We" (not I btw) were already claiming future captain for Hodgson. Although scouts did say Bo was captain material because of his all round play. CDC tends to set the bar high and jump the gun on prospects. Which of course frequently leads to disappointment. I have high hopes for Bo but I wouldn't say at this point he's a shoe-in to be an elite top line center. It would be nice though.

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Pretty much agree with this - weird though in the 1999 NHL draft - which was a fairly horrible draft year (look at all the busts in the 1st round - including the guy picked 1st overall)....we have two 1st rounders that year (thanks to Burkie's 'wheeling & dealing') & they both end up likely HHOFers!

Even had I think four OTHER guys drafted in the first round that year play for the Canucks at one time.

The Sedins and Zetterberg are the only great players in that draft and it is considered one of the worst all-time.  Lucky for us we ended up with the cream of the crop.

Archived