The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter is #2 Forward on this Team

*Buzzsaw*

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Corsi this, plus minus that -- Sutter is all about the intangibles.

He is a bargain at his current contract (thanks Benning!) and it was a very good move signing a foundation type player that brings it at all levels.

Sutter's family pedigree is probably the best in the entire league.  He just oozes humble leadership, and is a stabilizing force on a team that has the potential to fly apart at the seams.  He is best at center, and now that Bo is emerging as a star, Sutter can be the best 3rd line center in the league, exactly where he belongs.

Why is Sutter a bargain?

Why does Sutter's family matter?

Why is he a stabilizing force?

Why is he the best 3rd line center in the league?

The only argument I see there is the leadership argument. There is history behind it, but you still have to back that all up with actual logical arguments. If I didn't know about his past showcases of leadership then I would question it too. If you are going to make claims then you have to back them up.

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

i have absolutely no interest at all in getting into any debate over analytics

but you are delusional (and uneducated) if you think those are facts

as in scientific facts

putting together some analytic theory involving numbers does not make the outcome facts

at best these approaches are weak hypotheses

and as many on here are noting there is need for more testing and revision to these hypotheses

the analytic theory may move closer to being factual in time

but even in baseball, where this approach has more history, i doubt many would call these numbers facts

Fine, you can call them weak hypotheses, but they are the best non-anecdotal analysis of a player we got. We have to work with what we got.

Look, I'm willing to concede that if you do not believe in statistics that's fine. But there are some statistics in there that are just facts.

Like, we allow a bunch of unblocked shots in the slot when Sutter is on the ice vs when he's off the ice. When Sutter is on the ice, we only score 35.6% of the goals even strength.

Reject stats like corsi or fenwick all you want, but there are just stats that are facts.

6 minutes ago, WTG said:

Fine, you can call them weak hypotheses, but they are the best non-anecdotal analysis of a player we got. We have to work with what we got.

Look, I'm willing to concede that if you do not believe in statistics that's fine. But there are some statistics in there that are just facts.

Like, we allow a bunch of unblocked shots in the slot when Sutter is on the ice vs when he's off the ice. When Sutter is on the ice, we only score 35.6% of the goals even strength.

Reject stats like corsi or fenwick all you want, but there are just stats that are facts.

we can do a dance about this all day

analytics is a new model being developed to assess player values

it is extremely limited at present

it is often wrong

no team uses them the way posters on here do

yet people on here argue about them as if they reveal truth (or are factual)

they simply are not

they are just a new model that contains many many flaws

and is quite elementary still

(edit: it does appears florida and arizona were slow to realize this )

41 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Not sure if serious.

Bo was -30 last year... Minus -22 from start of the season to early Jan 2016... he wasn't playing well. He turned his game around big time and was only minus 8 the rest of the way... he was +6 the last 6 games of the year... 

(I had to look at the game log to support my argument, but even from memory, it was obvious he was playing poorly first half of last year and the minuses were pretty much due to his play... you can blame it on vrbata to an extent too) 

It was obvious he had started to turn things around. What was more obvious was his work ethic this year to get in better shape and make him a better player. Also... I ran into him and told him good luck this year. I think that probably put him over the top to become ELITE ;)

2 minutes ago, WTG said:

But if you want to claim things you typically have to back it up. You claimed all of his defensive zone starts ect... I showed that he only started 10% of his shifts in the defensive zone.

You don't post "facts" wadr - you post coloured lines.

Here are Sutter's zone starts:

29.7% offensive zone starts

36.8 % defensive zone starts

33.5% neutral zone

In other words, 43.3% offensive zone starts relative to defensive.

What makes the context of Sutter's play - and his possession numbers more complicated - and contradictory - that most players is his dual role.

On the one hand he centers a shutdown/matchup line.

On the other, he's plays wing on the Sedin line.

The Sedins enjoy some extremely opportune ozone starts -

60.5% (Hank)

57.8%  (Daniel)

Corsi

Sutter 46.2

Hank 48.8

Daniel 47.4

Now, when you take Sutter's ozone starts when playing with the Sedins to be in the 58-60% range - but overall at 43.3%, what does that tell you about the context of his play when he's not playing with the Sedins.

Whether with them - and facing opposition shutdown lines/pairings or without them and playing a shutdown role against the opposition's best, Sutter is facing strong quality of competition regardless - and always has, despite the fact that the context of his play changes significantly.

Nevertheless, his corsi remains within 1.2% of Daniel, and 2.6% of Henrik.

But, but, he's the worst center on the team, he's a horrible possession player, etc, etc.

If people are satisfied with those kind of elementary and uninformed misconceptions about the player - based on extremely weak 'analytics' - that's your prerogative.

Just now, apollo said:

Bo was -30 last year... Minus -22 from start of the season to early Jan 2016... he wasn't playing well. He turned his game around big time and was only minus 8 the rest of the way... he was +6 the last 6 games of the year... 

It was obvious he had started to turn things around. What was more obvious was his work ethic this year to get in better shape and make him a better player. Also... I ran into him and told him good luck this year. I think that probably put him over the top to become ELITE ;)

and part of his improvement is directly related to

sutter being healthy and taking all the most difficult matchups (except when other team has last change and can avoid it :P)

so that horvat has less defensive responsibility

and can focus his energies on other areas

and burrows gets some credit too as when he joined that line he freed up bo even more

and that is when bo began to become more of an offensive presence this year

bo is not doing it by himself . . the coach has helped his development, burrows has, sutter's presence has changed his game, our improved defence has had an impact...etc

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

(I had to look at the game log to support my argument, but even from memory, it was obvious he was playing poorly first half of last year and the minuses were pretty much due to his play... you can blame it on vrbata to an extent too) 

Nonsense apollo.  Horvat wasn't the x factor.  Baertschi waking up at the half point was.   Vrbata checking out every time he wasn't with the Sedins was.  There are few things more misleading and less signficant than Horvat's +/- last year - simple as that.  You can beat it to death all you want,  or you can elect to figure out how irrelevent +/- can be, particularly when you're talking about a player - in the absence of Sutter - whose line was stepping up over it's head, and whose linemates were passengers, one for half the season, the other for the entirety of it.  Anyhow, my apologies but that's all the time I can waste on plus/minus wadr.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

33.5% neutral zone

What makes the context of Sutter's play - and his possession numbers more complicated - and contradictory - that most players is his dual role.

60.5% (Hank)

57.8%  (Daniel)

Corsi

Sutter 46.2

Hank 48.8

Daniel 47.4

Now, when you take Sutter's ozone starts when playing with the Sedins to be in the 58-60% range - but overall at 43.3%, what does that tell you about the context of his play when he's not playing with the Sedins.

Whether with them - and facing opposition shutdown lines/pairings or without them and playing a shutdown role against the opposition's best, Sutter is facing strong quality of competition regardless - and always has, despite the fact that the context of his play changes significantly.

But, but, he's the worst center on the team, he's a horrible possession player, etc, etc.

If people are satisfied with those kind of elementary and uninformed misconceptions about the player - based on extremely weak 'analytics' - that's your prerogative.

you said it better than i ever could have

given my aversion to analytics until the models are improved and more reliable

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

33.5% neutral zone

60.5% (Hank)

57.8%  (Daniel)

Corsi

Sutter 46.2

Hank 48.8

Daniel 47.4

Much better :) (Your first reply was lazy :P )

19 minutes ago, mll said:
That's a very misleading graph you've posted - from a playoff sample of 5 games.

Here are his last 3 full seasons in Pittsburgh:

2014-2015 Line Combinations & Production
Even Strength Line Combinations

2013-2014 Line Combinations & Production

2012-2013 Line Combinations & Production

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

33.5% neutral zone

60.5% (Hank)

57.8%  (Daniel)

Corsi

Sutter 46.2

Hank 48.8

Daniel 47.4

Sutter often takes D-zone draws for other lines so it skews a bit his numbers.  So does Horvat.    

They take the draw then get off the ice. 

Do you have the numbers for Horvat.  

1 minute ago, oldnews said:
That's a very misleading graph you've posted - from a playoff sample of 5 games.

Here are his last 3 full seasons in Pittsburgh:

2014-2015 Line Combinations & Production

2013-2014 Line Combinations & Production

2012-2013 Line Combinations & Production

Thanks for correcting.  I thought I had changed it.

12 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and part of his improvement is directly related to

sutter being healthy and taking all the most difficult matchups (except when other team has last change and can avoid it :P)

so that horvat has less defensive responsibility

and can focus his energies on other areas

and burrows gets some credit too as when he joined that line he freed up bo even more

and that is when bo began to become more of an offensive presence this year

bo is not doing it by himself . . the coach has helped his development, burrows has, sutter's presence has changed his game, our improved defence has had an impact...etc

You make some solid points as do many posters in this thread...

Regardless, if it's game 7 SCF, and I have to pick 3 of our forwards to guarantee to play it would be Bo, Hank and Danny. I love Sutter but he's not top 3 yet, nor is he #2. 

28 minutes ago, WTG said:

Do these facts take into account that your job is to make sure McDavid, Getzlaff and Kopitar don't score from a faceoff in your own end, and that other players get to defend against less dangerous players and perhaps score so your team wins the game?

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

33.5% neutral zone

60.5% (Hank)

57.8%  (Daniel)

Corsi

Sutter 46.2

Hank 48.8

Daniel 47.4

https://puckplusplus.com/2015/01/15/how-much-do-zone-starts-matter-i-maybe-not-as-much-as-we-thought/

Give that a read.

Also:

shiftStarts-1617-VAN.png

1 minute ago, WTG said:

Lol, seriously, stop trying you are going to lose.

Statistics aren't on your side.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This is a great article for understanding just how poor "advanced stats" are in measuring individual performance and making year to year predictions for players: http://hockeyanalysis.com/2016/03/03/evaluating-player-evaluation-metrics-and-expected-goal-models/

Here's an excerpt:

To summarize, Corsi can at best explain approximately 50% of a players offensive talent and somewhere around or a little less than 1 year (500 minutes) is where the sample size is large enough that GF60 is a more reliable measure of a players offensive performance

And while goals data certainly provides more value than Corsi over samples >500 minutes, it still doesn't really give you good numbers until you get into multi-year samples.

Similarly, the article shows that those "expected goals" models du jour don't really do better than Corsi.

And the dirty little secret in analytics? None of the models work for defensemen. They only have predictive value, meagre as it is, with forwards. For defensemen, the "advanced stats" really don't tell us anything.

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2011/07/12/how-i-evaluate-players-and-why/

http://thesportjournal.org/article/goal-based-metrics-better-than-shot-based-metrics-at-predicting-hockey-success/

So remember the above articles any time somebody tried to use Corsi to tell you how good or bad a dman is. 

Have to give a ton of credit here to David Johnson of Hockey Analysis (and the same guy who runs the invaluable resource stats.hockeyanalysis.com). He's been something of a rebel in the analytics community in taking people to task about their assumptions and consistently pointing out how crap "predictive analytics" are in hockey.

Here's a great piece from a couple weeks ago: http://hockeyanalysis.com/2017/01/02/predictive-analyics-have-failed-hockey-analytics/

And, to move things back on topic a little, here's Johnson calling BS on the online analytics community saying Brandon Sutter is a "replacement level" defensive forward: http://hockeyanalysis.com/2016/07/15/the-brandon-sutter-litmus-test/

Johnson's take on Sutter:

I am going to propose that claiming Brandon Sutter is a below replacement level defensive player be a litmus test for whether you are doing hockey analytics correctly or not.

Cheeky stuff. Love it. 

4 minutes ago, Wise Owl said:

Do these facts take into account that your job is to make sure McDavid, Getzlaff and Kopitar don't score from a faceoff in your own end, and that other players get to defend against less dangerous players and perhaps score so your team wins the game?

Sutter's QoC shows that he's not actually facing top players most of the time.

Archived