The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are Canucks games so hard to watch ?

falcons

6 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I don't find it hard to watch. It beats the alternative.

I agree. I actually really enjoy most games. It's not the high flying 2001 edition but we're rebuilding and trying to win. Trying to win is all I ask at this point in the rebuild.

I've quite enjoyed their play this season.  They play a defensive style, but they are working hard and that's a much welcome change over the last few seasons.  Regardless of how it ends up, this has been a successful season.

I don't find them hard to watch at all. I enjoy watching the young guys progress. I enjoy the lunch bucket mentality that the team has. I'm a Canuck fan and have been since 1970. Whats not to like?... mostly the whining that goes on around here over nothing.

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've quite enjoyed their play this season.  They play a defensive style, but they are working hard and that's a much welcome change over the last few seasons.  Regardless of how it ends up, this has been a successful season.

I agree - they've been in the vast majority of their games and have played from behind - and done it well - on a lot of occasions.

They've integrated another group of rookies into the lineup, and crucially, a couple on the blueline who will be important players for this team - and they've done it largely in the absence of key top 4 D, so they've had very young blue lines for most of the season and have managed to stick around the .500 mark.   Very promising imo.  Can they sustain it and remain in the hunt - who knows - but there is nothing wrong with where they are all things considered.

Most of all, I completely disagree with the idea that the team lacks prospects.  From my viewpoint a number of their better young players are not yet in the NHL, unlike some of their counterparts (like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, who have ushered most of their kids into their lineups).

So the team has many of their best young players - Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, (Virtanen and Gaunce who've had tastes of the NHL), Gaudette, Lockwood - still on the way.

They have a pair of roster D remaining from when Benning arrived, to go with the Sedins, Burrows and Hansen - and yet people are wondering when the 'rebuild' is coming, missing the transition in the process.  Semantics and really just whining about 1st round draft pick position in the end.

But here's an additional thing:

-if they'd done what tank-nation wanted and dumped even more veterans when Benning arrived, what would they have gotten for Edler?  Coming off the complete train wreck Tortorella season.  His value is every bit as high at this point - in fact, easily argued that it's higher.

-what if they'd dumped Burrows previously?  His value is higher presently than it's been during Benning's tenure - so where is the asset loss there - and how would that have been preferable to potentially renting him to a team like the Haps, doing him a service the team could probably afford him after all he's overproduced for the franchise.

-if they hadn't signed Miller, they wouldn't now be in a potential position to rent him, would they?   I may have liked a slightly different route - I wanted Greiss - but it's hard to argue with what Miller has brought the team.

-Hansen's value has never wavered - he's still a tremendously versatile cap steal that any team would want.

- so really - aside from the Sedins, who are anything but obvious rebuild fodder, where exactly have the asset losses occurred from not tearing it down even further?  The reality is the team still has comparable or better value in the form of Elder, Burrows, Hansen than they'd have reaped a few years ago.

On 2017-02-08 at 3:10 PM, RogersTowell said:

Maybe it's because you started watching the Canucks back in the good old days when they were winning a lot and now they aren't.

Many of us have been fans since the team's inception and know that it goes in cycles.  We've learned to be optimistic about new players and hopeful for the future during the dark times.  I'd give it about three more years to start looking good.  Three more years of good draft picks, then in the fourth year, we'll see the corner being turned.

On 2/9/2017 at 9:04 AM, oldnews said:

So the team has many of their best young players - Boeser, , (Virtanen and Gaunce who've had tastes of the NHL), Gaudette, Lockwood - still on the way.

Really not sure if any of these 5 will ever make the NHL .  Virtanen had a major regression this year.  5 g in 37 AHL games  )   Boesner is also having a bit of set back season. 11 g in 23 games this year...  Still good number but concerning that his goals per game is declining compared to last year....   Will it decline again next year ?

Gaunce has shown zero NHL offence.  0 goals in  48 games...   Lockwood is not showing much offence ( 7 g in 24 games )  ....      Yes Gaudette is having a better year but heh its only NCAA which is quite a step back from NHL.  21 goals in 29 games...

Basically i don't see the great offensive talent in our organization that you do......

Sorry if you think Gaunce is showing top 6  NHL potential with 0 goals in 48 nhl games...

A team of plugs.   However, i think there is a bigger issue.   You often hear players says that the systems are mostly the same.  Sports has become over coached and organised.   It has become bland and sterile.  This just isn't with hockey.   Everyone copies everyone and then you end up with the same thing.    The only reason I watch the games now are to see unique players - like stetcher and Nikita.     

Many of us have been fans since the team's inception and know that it goes in cycles.

Worst team in the league - no respect - don't get 1st overall - don't win the Cup.

Best team in the league - no respect - don't get 1st overall - don't win the Cup.

Worst team in the league - no respect - don't get 1st overall - don't win the Cup.

Hakuna Matata, circle of life.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

fill your boots.

"sorry if you think Gaunce is showing top 6 potential" - typical kos straw nonsense.

Your the one that called gaunce one of the  canucks best young players 

i merely pointed out his zero goals in 48 nhl games

then u  insult me 

heh i thought discussion was encouraged here. No need to insult posters that disagree with you 

whatever.   We can agree to dissagree.  

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Best team in the league - no respect - don't get 1st overall - don't win the Cup.

Hakuna Matata, circle of life.

u sad bro?

On 2017-02-06 at 10:22 PM, falcons said:

I am having a tough time watching games lately. Not sure what it is. Maybe it's time to make some big moves and create a new identity . 

Canucks games seem to be boring because the 2011 Canucks were on edge of the best teams in the history of the league and certainly for this franchise.

One has to adjust to this transition.

On 2017-02-06 at 7:22 PM, falcons said:

I am having a tough time watching games lately. Not sure what it is. Maybe it's time to make some big moves and create a new identity . 

It's because the team overall is really slow and weak.  So what they do is play almost like a trap/safe/secure game to try to bore/just inch out wins. They don't have the speed or skill or goaltending anymore to trade chances and play run & gun hockey. So they try to slow games down and force teams into playing low % perimeter hockey. 

Also we have no crash and bang guys that make for exciting hockey... almost every time our guys choose to skate by opposition rather than hit. It's a boring style but you can't fault them for doing it. This team is not built for exciting hockey so they have to try to get wins however they can which is by playing a slower, more careful and methodical game. It's not pretty but it's our only chance while we try to develop over these next 5-10 years. 

Archived