The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are Canucks games so hard to watch ?

falcons

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You are seriously equating the first line talent with the success of other first lines?

I'm sorry, our first line is in ageing shutdown mode now. The best they can do is keep the puck around the perimeter and hope to lull the opposition to sleep. They are about as dynamic as a corpse.

Hansen has hardly played. Sutter has also been injured and Baertschi, while talented is often manhandled off the puck despite his high compete level. That leaves Bo and good though he is, he can't be expected to carry the team every night.

You have to compare our talent and assets not just on what they were but how they have aged and how effective they are in this rebuild weakened team to-day. 

We have a ways to go before we can expect consistency and a high level of performance because we still do not have enough talent, size or speed. No coach can pull that out of the sky.

I didn't  say we have  a bunch of top level talent but that we have enough to play more offensively than we are. 

Playing a style of hockey that is heavily focused on conservative, defensive play makes offence hard to produce even for a highly skilled team.  WIth our team, the soft dump and chase with a weak forecheck puts far too much opportunity/time in the hands of the opposition and our fall-back defensive style puts too much strain on our d core.  Our goalies are required to be flawless for this team to stay in the game. 

All I ma saying is that we have enough vets with experience (and some decent young guys) to try to drive the pace a little more =.  We likely would get burned on occasion but it would be better than watching us lose the way we are now.  WHo knows, maybe this team is better than it has shown. The lack of speed and size you refer to doesn't sound like the right mix to play a sound defensive game either so may as well try something different.

The team is hard to watch because they are not a puck possession team.

The "D" has a hard time making the first pass out of the D-zone and when they do make the pass, the forwards have a hard time handling the pass. The end result is losing puck possession and chasing the puck.

If they can improve on the breakout in order to keep possession of the puck, then this team will be easier to watch. But, if they can't improve. then we will be watching them chase the puck for 3/4 of the game. 

I watched the Edmonton vs Habs game and our team is not as great as they use to be. Nowadays we are just here to exist and get the Sedins their milestone points. I think that when teams come to play the Canucks they actually sink to our level. When we win its actually a moment of clarity for any players who believes in himself to win. Other than that we are just a stepping stone for other teams. We must accept this as the Canucks wont listen to us as fans...but once the money starts fading and the empty seats start piling up huge changes will be made. :)

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I didn't  say we have  a bunch of top level talent but that we have enough to play more offensively than we are. 

Playing a style of hockey that is heavily focused on conservative, defensive play makes offence hard to produce even for a highly skilled team.  WIth our team, the soft dump and chase with a weak forecheck puts far too much opportunity/time in the hands of the opposition and our fall-back defensive style puts too much strain on our d core.  Our goalies are required to be flawless for this team to stay in the game. 

All I ma saying is that we have enough vets with experience (and some decent young guys) to try to drive the pace a little more =.  We likely would get burned on occasion but it would be better than watching us lose the way we are now.  WHo knows, maybe this team is better than it has shown. The lack of speed and size you refer to doesn't sound like the right mix to play a sound defensive game either so may as well try something different.

I disagree.

We have enough to occasionally play more offensively but nowhere near enough to do it consistently. By the way our average goals / game does not suggest we are a defensive team but we employ a system that relies on defence because we lack a potent offensive top 9. That system allows us to compete. A more offensively set up system would see us overrun imo.

It is our first line that lacks speed. In fact it lacks nearly everything now.

9 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I disagree.

We have enough to occasionally play more offensively but nowhere near enough to do it consistently. By the way our average goals / game does not suggest we are a defensive team but we employ a system that relies on defence because we lack a potent offensive top 9. That system allows us to compete. A more offensively set up system would see us overrun imo.

It is our first line that lacks speed. In fact it lacks nearly everything now.

I agree on our first line.  Could our team speed not be increased and offensive abilities spread if the Sedins were split?  Their combined lack of speed makes it almost impossible for the third linemate to be effective as he is always having to do their checking, digging, back-checking etc.  Having two faster players with each Sedin might allow more offensive risk-taking and strengthen the defensive coverage as well.  Danny is a passer now as he can barely hit an open net...maybe separating them and using both as set-up men could increase our options and offense?

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I agree on our first line.  Could our team speed not be increased and offensive abilities spread if the Sedins were split?  Their combined lack of speed makes it almost impossible for the third linemate to be effective as he is always having to do their checking, digging, back-checking etc.  Having two faster players with each Sedin might allow more offensive risk-taking and strengthen the defensive coverage as well.  Danny is a passer now as he can barely hit an open net...maybe separating them and using both as set-up men could increase our options and offense?

How about just put super speedy Hansen back with the Twins?  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

meh...like I said, that still leaves two below average skaters (predictable as well) and one guy to do all the work.  A different look to our offense and spreading out the "weak" skaters is a better option imho.  Hank and Dan are simply too slow and not as sharp as in their prime and teams are shutting them down effectively.  They aren't even generating on the PP!

I would like to see Hank and Dan forced to look for others.  THeir cycle is ineffective at generating quality chances. There is no speed and no one creating space to allow for those grade A chances we should see on a PP (and 5v5).  Each Sedin with 4 other guys with speed and movement might create more variety and better chances.  After three years of a declining PP and the Sedins effectiveness dropping (Dan 1 goal in 19 games) what can it hurt?

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

meh...like I said, that still leaves two below average skaters (predictable as well) and one guy to do all the work.  A different look to our offense and spreading out the "weak" skaters is a better option imho.  Hank and Dan are simply too slow and not as sharp as in their prime and teams are shutting them down effectively.  They aren't even generating on the PP!

I would like to see Hank and Dan forced to look for others.  THeir cycle is ineffective at generating quality chances. There is no speed and no one creating space to allow for those grade A chances we should see on a PP (and 5v5).  Each Sedin with 4 other guys with speed and movement might create more variety and better chances.  After three years of a declining PP and the Sedins effectiveness dropping (Dan 1 goal in 19 games) what can it hurt?

Would Willie D split up the Twins though?  Does Willie have what it takes, experience wise and reputation as an NHL coach, to make that move?  I wonder if Willie is a bit too respectful with the Twins, because he's kind of new to the NHL head coaching?

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would Willie D split up the Twins though?  Does Willie have what it takes, experience wise and reputation as an NHL coach, to make that move?  I wonder if Willie is a bit too respectful with the Twins, because he's kind of new to the NHL head coaching?

I doubt he would.  He is to reverential to all our vets.  Perhaps it is a result of a rookie NHL coach being tasked with managing players who have been at the top of the league in their past.  What knowledge/experience can he impart on them? 

Also, it could be a case of taking the safe route, which WD has shown is his preferred path.  If he plays the vets and they don't produce, it is on the vets.  If he messes with them and mixes things up and it doesn't work, it is on  him.  Job security could be his motivation. 

56 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I've resigned myself to the fact we will never split the Twins. They have an almost biblical hold over this Club now. In effect we are partially paralysed until THEY decide what they want to do. 

As someone who rates no player above the Club I don't agree with this at all. Next season better see a big change in the top line or we are done.

12 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I've resigned myself to the fact we will never split the Twins. They have an almost biblical hold over this Club now. In effect we are partially paralysed until THEY decide what they want to do. 

As someone who rates no player above the Club I don't agree with this at all. Next season better see a big change in the top line or we are done.

Strongly agree with this. The Twins have been great players but their needs/wishes seem to have been put ahead of the team's for quite some time and continue to be. 

EDIT - I also strongly believe, this team needs a veteran coach who can hold the vets accountable and is used to dealing with "star" players at the NHL level.  I understand the mentoring thing but if the vets that are supposed to be mentoring are mailing it in or getting preferred deployment because they are vets and not based on performance, that sends the absolute wrong message to the kids. 

Coach Willie - Not a commanding presence, and probably scared to tell the Sedins what to do

Sedins - Team still relying on them to be the top guys, but they aren't the same players

Eriksson - So far a terrible signing, has "buyout" written all over it

Gudbranson - Haven't seen him play much this year, and when he's played, I haven't been impressed

Hutton - He's having a tough year, even when he's not injured

Gaunce - He's so ineffective, Chaput, Megna and Skille all beat him out of a job

Larsen - Fail

Rodin - Fail

13 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well look around, that is how most prospects come into the top team. 

I wish half you people had a more rounded view of what happens in other teams and then maybe you wouldn't come on here and make silly comments like that. Leave these kind of criticisms for our "supportive" press and media clowns.

The whole point about a good coach is how these players perform AFTER they come into the team.

The best way to 'develop" prospects is to introduce them one or two at a time into a functioning successful team. That is what happened to Bo and it is also why we struggled when playing 8/9 prospects last year some of whom had little experience of playing against men.

Good point.  I remember Getzlaf and Perry getting put back after a try out and how they were given more minutes by earning them when they came back.  ANA made them pay their dues and once they did they eventually formed a scoring line with Penner and won a cup together. 

Also extra time in the AHL rarely hurts a players development at the early stages.  The lockout is a good reminder of this given the slingshot of great prospects that came in the following year.

On 2/6/2017 at 7:22 PM, falcons said:

I am having a tough time watching games lately. Not sure what it is. Maybe it's time to make some big moves and create a new identity . 

Maybe it's because you started watching the Canucks back in the good old days when they were winning a lot and now they aren't.

Many of us have been fans since the team's inception and know that it goes in cycles.  We've learned to be optimistic about new players and hopeful for the future during the dark times.  I'd give it about three more years to start looking good.  Three more years of good draft picks, then in the fourth year, we'll see the corner being turned.

Archived