The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Canucks screwing Vitanens Development

orcasgonewild

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think it's, obvious, no?

His style, and he already has a bum shoulder. Do you foresee that not being reinsured? 

Or you know, he keep working on it every summer making it stronger. One shoulder injury isn't a career threatener incase you didn't know. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think it's, obvious, no?

His style, and he already has a bum shoulder. Do you foresee that not being reinsured? 

No. We don't know what the shoulder issue is, if its a rehab thing, or needs surgery, or if its just fine now. I haven't seen anyone mention his shoulder being an issue in Utica.

I think this is a case of the simplest explanation is the right one, he's just not mature enough yet to realize his opportunity so they parked his ass in Utica to hopefully grow up a bit. 

13 minutes ago, Mr.53 said:

I mean that's fair. But that discounts the fact that we have seen his raw skills. We've seen his speed, his strength, his shot power, etc. When it comes to raw skills, Virtanen has a lot of tools to work with, a lot of it from him luckily being born an athletic freak. At worst, Jake Virtanen can be a role playing third line player. Now that is pretty bad for a 6th overall pick, but that's his floor. His natural skills will take him that far. Points or not, the kid didn't just lose his speed, or forget how to hit. You know what I'm saying. He's struggling to put these tools together.  The question is, can he put the package together and start elevating himself to a bonifide 2nd line player

I really like Virtanen, but I'm not going to throw around works like Skill when I refer to his overall game. Speed? Is he fast? No, he's quick, like average NHL young man, quick. His shot? He's not shown much shooting prowess even though he's has some opportunity. All he really had going for him was his man child size, which is now not much of an advantage in a league full of size and speed.  

Virtanen is not any better a hockey player than Kassian, which I'd be happy to have 3 of, going forward. Sure, bad pick, but at the time, all they had were soft smurfs. Too bad it didn't work out, and I say this knowing that, at best, Jake will be a 2nd line net presence with some physical attributes, balancing out a line of new age non-contact hockey players.

He's been a dud when the chips were down in the WJHC and he was counted on. He's been a dud in the NHL.

He's now a dud in the AHL.

Can't see  this has much hope of impact player written on it, no matter how hard I cheer. A spade is a spade. 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

I really like Virtanen, but I'm not going to throw around works like Skill when I refer to his overall game. Speed? Is he fast? No, he's quick, like average NHL young man, quick. His shot? He's not shown much shooting prowess even though he's has some opportunity. All he really had going for him was his man child size, which is now not much of an advantage in a league full of size and speed.  

Virtanen is not any better a hockey player than Kassian, which I'd be happy to have 3 of, going forward. Sure, bad pick, but at the time, all they had were soft smurfs. Too bad it didn't work out, and I say this knowing that, at best, Jake will be a 2nd line net presence with some physical attributes, balancing out a line of new age non-contact hockey players.

He's been a dud when the chips were down in the WJHC and he was counted on. He's been a dud in the NHL.

He's now a dud in the AHL.

Can't say this has much hope of impact player written on it, no matter how hard I cheer. A spade is a spade

At least you're patient.  There's no history of uneven development in young players.  Should we trade him for Barry Pederson?

To Be Honest,

Jake is just a kid. It is not a good idea to bitch about the coach.This just shows that he doesn't get it yet,but when he does,OH BOY,

HE COULD BE AWESOME.

Just what the Canucks and the fans love to watch.Good young players, really trying to do the right things,

Canuck fans appreciate that, He will earn that love from the fans.

Look at Bo,now that guy gets it, and all the love to go with it.

PLEASE, BE PATIENT WITH JAKE. HE IS A GOOD HOMETOWN KID.

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Patience comes in small measures with a lot of people, but before you hit the panic button, it's worth considering some stupid and hasty mistakes that other franchises have made in comparable situations.

The most obvious for me is what the Islanders did with Nino Neiderreiter, dumping him (imo) for Cal Clutterbuck after a pair of seasons where he struggled to produce at a young age as a pwf playing largely bottom six minutes.

Neiderreiter scored 2 goals and 1 assist in his first 64 NHL games, 1 goal and 0 assists in 55 games in his draft +2 season.

Radek Faksa is another player that put up utterly unimpressive numbers in his +1, +2, and +3 seasons, taking four years before even producing decent numbers at the AHL level, and comparable production to Jake last year - Jake being a teenaged rookie and Faksa being a 22 year old.

Have some patience folks.  This team knows how to develop players - has an excellent track record with a pair of outstanding development minded coaches at both the AHL and NHL level.  Virtanen will be fine - and fish bowling his short-term production won't necessarily give you a 'realistic' forecast.

don't forget cam neely,it was the gift that kept giving.he was evan gm of the bruins when they took the cup out from under us.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

I knew I could count on you for an off-topic zinger.

I do my best. 

Jake still has ton's of potential, if he hooks up with Bo's skating coach he might be incredibly hard to stop. Is that OK or was that too obvious? 

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Image result for clairvoyant

You're right, but I'm sticking to my experiences of knowing what will happen to Jake's body after playing his role in the NHL. I'm sure he will be oft injured or playing hurt. Either way, no impact on the game. He's the first player I'd trade, followed by Hutton, for different reasons. 

24 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

According to Benning's interview last week, the move to Utica was as much about Jake developing pro habits as much as anything else. A "wake up call" was the term. So next season we'll see if he wakes up or not. 

Definitely seems to be part of the problem. I don't wanna slag on Jake because overall he's a good kid with lots of positive traits. But I do suspect (based on what we've seen to-date) that he might have some entitlement issues that need to be quickly nipped in the bud.

Getting an NHL spot or first line AHL opportunities, simply based on his potential and draft position, doesn't seem to be a good plan. As you said, Virtanen needs to learn pro habits. He needs to learn that he must earn his opportunities and minutes. And he needs to become a professional 24/7/365.

That means "bringing it" when he's on the ice. Showing up and giving his all in practice. Committing fully to his training and diet (both in-season and during the off-season). And picking up all the requisite habits that guys need to be successful in the NHL.

I think the Canucks are committed to putting Jake through the paces necessary to help him get there. And his current Utica usage is part of "the program."

Archived